Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MJJ's advice on learning technology - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MJJ's advice on learning technology

2»

Comments

• Anyone would tell me what MJJ is and what MJJ stands for? I don't know Chinese language, but I think I would trust the translation by @yoursunny . No matter what MJJ is, I would think that the content in translation brings very positive points of views. Kudos!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Congratulations! You are now a qualified mjj.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said: Positivity goes a long way.

We could look at reducing unpositivity in our vocabulary. For example, "unpositivity" might sound more positive than "negativity." An increase in positivity might not be ungood be the companion of the good!

祝您平安如意

Wish
    you
    calm
    peaceful
    as, if, like
    thought

Google translate: "Wish you peace and happiness"

Thanked by 2kheng86 yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@yoursunny said: Things taught in school are usually outdated. Most of them have been replaced by newer technologies. In IT industry, you have to learn by yourself.

Though note that while individual technologies move on, a lot of the concepts are recycled. A good course will teach you the fundamentals (from a programming PoV: imperative & functional code structures, complexity, optimisation, ...) not just specific technologies that happen to implement them.

This is right.
    Every grad school level computer networking class starts with On Distributed Communication Networks, a paper published in 1963 about "hot potato routing".
    Today's networks are rarely implemented with hot potato routing, but it's the root of all packet switch networks.

And learning the old stuff even if it is properly going out is often worthwhile: you will at some point have some legacy crap to fix, and even if not knowledge of what came before allows you to avoid old mistakes, understand why newer methods/tools/technologies came about (i.e. what problems from before that they are trying to fix), see through the marketing crap, and properly judge them when trying to decide which of several options is the best tool for the job you have in mind.

The stallion coder doesn't deal with legacy code. I rewrite all of them every year.
    Dependants? It's your problem. I gave you 30-day notice on deprecations, and then it's removed. You are supposed to rewrite dependant code every year, too.
    https://dev.to/yoursunny/comment/16i64

@HalfEatenPie said:
    You stick around long enough, you know who the usual suspects are. You know who usually drops those knowledge bombs. You know who just joins a post for the shitposting and dick jokes. You know who means well (or skepticism) but their post... just doesn't get there. You know who's there for the money. You know who's there to actually help people.

I am a mix personality.
    I write both serious tutorials and silly memes.

It's a mish-mash group of people with similar interests but different personalities. Also people always come and go, but what always remains is the drama.

We need three drama threads every week!

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @yoursunny said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    You stick around long enough, you know who the usual suspects are. You know who usually drops those knowledge bombs. You know who just joins a post for the shitposting and dick jokes. You know who means well (or skepticism) but their post... just doesn't get there. You know who's there for the money. You know who's there to actually help people.

I am a mix personality.

You fit all the above but you're not meeting the dick joke quota. That's a 2022 goal.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • @yoursunny said:

We practice contextual translation.

For example, if I translate from English to Chinese:

English semantics 中文
    Twitter microblogging site 微博
    Facebook social networking site 人人网
    YouTube free video streaming with user generated content 优酷
    Netflix paid video streaming of copyrighted work 爱奇艺

Each website is translated to the equivalent service popular in China, instead of the literal Chinese name of the service that many people may not have heard of.

In this text, "Oracle Cloud registration" is translated to "VirMach flash sales" because it is one of the most exploited provider in the targeting forum.

Thanks a million Mr. expat MJJ.
    I had no idea people here don't know what Oracle Cloud is and LET is where people learn to exploit VirMach.

• @yoursunny said: I am a mix personality.

Haha I've done the same before. I've written posts that ended up getting lifted and used on SEO websites. I've also made dumb memes in photoshop and pasted them into IRC or here. At the end of the day, don't be a TITS (Taking It Too Seriously).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I thought TITS is a trade mark of Elon, the-boy-who-trolled-the-market?

@bsh said:
    I don't know Chinese language, but I think I would trust the translation by @yoursunny .

My Chinese language is a little rusty, but thank you for your confidence.

@Not_Oles said:

@yoursunny said: Positivity goes a long way.

We could look at reducing unpositivity in our vocabulary. For example, "unpositivity" might sound more positive than "negativity." An increase in positivity might not be ungood be the companion of the good!

祝您平安如意

This is doubleplusgood.

@suut said:
    Congratulations! You are now a qualified mjj.

@foitin said:
    Thanks a million Mr. expat MJJ.

The original author heavens is a qualified MJJ.
    I'm just a herald.