Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MJJ's advice on learning technology
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MJJ's advice on learning technology

yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
edited December 2021 in General

This article is translated from MJJ headquarters.
I feel it's an interesting read, so I'm sharing here.
Opinions are of the original author heavens.

As a new member on LET, I've been reading this forum for less than one month.
Before that, I have been searching for VirMach flash sales and saw lots of posts from here.
I realized that I would be here long term, so I registered an account.

During my month here, apart from offers, service transfers, and double bandwidth, I found lots of faction wars.
Occasionally there are technical threads such as questions and tutorials, but they got buried in offer posts.
Maybe I'm expecting too much from this forum, or that there aren't many users who want to improve their own technical knowledge.

I don't know your situation, nor do I want to comment on that, because it's neither meaningful nor relevant.
However, I have some good advice for LET members who want to learn more about technology, instead of just looking for offers.

1. There are many illogical users. Stay away from them.
  2. Never try to buy impossibly cheap deals. An old saying is, there's no fast & good & cheap deals, especially in IT industry. Internet commerce operates on information asymmetry. The provider knows something that you don't know.
  3. You can buy many servers, but having more servers is not necessarily better. You have the time, but you should spend your time in better places. The time you spent on running YABS and managing your servers is better spent on learning from tutorials. After a while, you'll have higher achievement than other LET members.
  4. Things taught in school are usually outdated. Most of them have been replaced by newer technologies. In IT industry, you have to learn by yourself.
  5. To learn a technology from tutorials, you should try to do it yourself and write down the steps. The Internet used to be a sharing community 20 years ago. Nowadays, most blogs are copy-pasted, and there are very few experts. If you get some help from a real expert, you'll improve significantly. Expertise matters.
  6. Test locally. Local tests are more fundamental and more stable than network-based tests. Find an area to study, find a system to get familiar with. Don't try to learn everything at once, because you wouldn't learn anything deep enough.

Here are some simple suggestions for everyone.
In the forums, there are many commenters and haters that fail to grasp the basic facts.
I feel sad for those people.
If you are one of them, please do not discourage others who want to improve themselves.

Comments

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited December 2021

(irrelevant comment removed)

• @yoursunny said: During my month here, apart from offers, service transfers, and double bandwidth, I found lots of faction wars.

@yoursunny said: There are many illogical users. Stay away from them.

Total fair and accurate comments.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited December 2021

This paragraph is translated a bit positively, don't you think? Both DeepL and Google translate show this for point 1, which seems to be encouraging more hostility and drama on LET.

There are a lot of steel inside the forum, do not pay attention to them, but if they verbally attacked, directly scolded back, not for other reasons, is to comfort

• rustyhalorustyhalo Member
    edited December 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

This paragraph is translated a bit positively, don't you think? Both DeepL and Google translate show this for point 1, which seems to be encouraging more hostility and drama on LET.

There are a lot of steel inside the forum, do not pay attention to them, but if they verbally attacked, directly scolded back, not for other reasons, is to comfort

"steel" is a slang for "trolls", for point 1, the translation should be:

There are a lot of trolls in that forum, do not pay attention to them. But if they verbally attack you, you should defend yourself just for your own peace of mind.

That said, I do not see the post encouraging more hostility and drama on LET, that would be a stretch.

• That article shows mentality of a true parasite. To use, to consume, to learn without giving back.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Level 1 - MJJ
    Level 2 - PMSing MJJ
    Level 3 - Push-up MJJ
    Level 4 - ???

P.S. Didn't read the first post; too long.

Thanked by 2frog yoursunny
  • @LTniger said: parasite

did you mean "consumer"?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

The author just needs to set his or her expectations right.

Or is better off not expecting anything to avoid disappointment.

Expectation is the uid 0 of all heartache.

• @yoursunny said: Never try to buy impossibly cheap deals

How about Virmach?

• VayVayKaVayVayKa Member
    edited December 2021

@comXyz said: How about Virmach?

He is a scammer.
    Nothing personal, the conclusion is based on the claims of the first post.
    So, don't buy.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'm - positively - surprised to see that MJJs are so reasonable and realistic.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • @yoursunny there's a lot of text compared to the source from MJJ headquarters. Are you sure you don't just make up things? :P

Thanked by 2bulbasaur tomazu
  • @Rockster said:
    Are you sure you don't just make up things? :P

You must be new here.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stevewatson301 said:

Positivity goes a long way.

@LTniger said:
    That article shows mentality of a true parasite. To use, to consume, to learn without giving back.

Exactly, most MJJs are behaving like that.
    However, the author heavens is behaving better than the rest of the herd.

@comXyz said:

@yoursunny said: Never try to buy impossibly cheap deals

How about Virmach?

VirMach isn't impossibly cheap.
    Overselling is severe.

RackNerd isn't impossibly cheap either.
    They sell cheap plans to keep all those IPv4 active.
    When IPv4 is sufficiently expensive, they'll disallow further renewal then sell the IPv4.

Be careful with Time4VPS huge RAM plans.
    Rumor says some RAM is on swap.

@Rockster said:
    @yoursunny there's a lot of text compared to the source from MJJ headquarters.

English is naturally longer than Chinese.
    English has 0.6~1.3 bits of information per character.
    Chinese has 9.56 bits of information per character.

• VirMach flash sales?

Where did the OG author mentioned it in his post?

Apple translate says

As a newcomer to loc, I came to the forum for less than a month. Before I came, because the forum appeared relatively high in terms of searching for "Oracle bone registration".

So apparently he was learning how to exploit Oracle Cloud there.

Why did you alter that part and > As a new member on LET ???

Guess it's safe to assume there're more tampered translations.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • @jsg said:
    I'm - positively - surprised to see that MJJs are so reasonable and realistic.

except for the fact that the translation is somehow made up or tampered.
    and the OG author used extra large font size, typical symptom of PMSing.

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

Aren't most of you living in the Western world where xeno estrogens are rampant and male testosterone levels have dropped roughly 35-40% in the past few decades?

I mean. It makes sense. It is appropriate for people with severely low T levels to discuss MJJ and PMSing and etc. online.

Perhaps try some hormone therapy and take T supplements so you don't have to sit on LET discussing PMS and MJJ. That will also help with your sex life. Once you actually get laid, most of your anti-social problems should fix themselves.

Good luck.

• Level 1 - MJJ

Level 10 MJJ = MJJ sitting on one forum (LET) and talking about other MJJ on another forum.

SS4J MJJ! ZOMG!

• Hi. I'm not very involved in the LET forces, but could you please be so kind to tell me if HK and TW people can be considered as MJJ?

• @stoned said:
    Aren't most of you living in the Western world where xeno estrogens are rampant and male testosterone levels have dropped roughly 35-40% in the past few decades?

I mean. It makes sense. It is appropriate for people with severely low T levels to discuss MJJ and PMSing and etc. online.

Perhaps try some hormone therapy and take T supplements so you don't have to sit on LET discussing PMS and MJJ. That will also help with your sex life. Once you actually get laid, most of your anti-social problems should fix themselves.

Good luck.

So says the guy most likely to have started getting pubic hair in the last 3 years.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @stoned said:

Good luck.

hahahaha how bout u first get the password to Ur chastity belt?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @cybertech said:

@stoned said:

Good luck.

hahahaha how bout u first get the password to Ur chastity belt?

Nah he's an incel.

Thanked by 2cybertech bulbasaur
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2021

Triggered again, eh? I can't argue with the xenoestrogens of level 10 MJJs :) You win.

• @stoned said:
    Triggered again, eh? I can't argue with the xenoestrogens of level 10 MJJs :) You win.

You really need to lay off the hard psychedelics.

• @stoned said:

The amount of times you say "triggered" gives you away, little boy. NO adult talks that way.

• @stoned said:

You should take your own advice, because it seems like you wrote that while looking in the mirror.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • @yoursunny said: Things taught in school are usually outdated. Most of them have been replaced by newer technologies. In IT industry, you have to learn by yourself.

Though note that while individual technologies move on, a lot of the concepts are recycled. A good course will teach you the fundamentals (from a programming PoV: imperative & functional code structures, complexity, optimisation, ...) not just specific technologies that happen to implement them.

When sharing server resources, containers may seem like a relatively new shiny idea because recent implementations have cute logos, burgeoning tooling, and big marketing pushes, but the base idea has been around and been in use for decades: Jails in BSD in ~2000, simpler just chroot based separation in various unix-a-like systems as far back as I remember (further, in fact, I remember the early-to-mid 90s and a quick Google tells me the concept was added to Unix V7 in 1979).

And learning the old stuff even if it is properly going out is often worthwhile: you will at some point have some legacy crap to fix, and even if not knowledge of what came before allows you to avoid old mistakes, understand why newer methods/tools/technologies came about (i.e. what problems from before that they are trying to fix), see through the marketing crap, and properly judge them when trying to decide which of several options is the best tool for the job you have in mind.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2021

Responding since I just saw this and might as well.

Expectations should be set that everyone's going to be going at each other throats for some stupid reasons but there are only a handful of actual/real feuding going on.

You stick around long enough, you know who the usual suspects are. You know who usually drops those knowledge bombs. You know who just joins a post for the shitposting and dick jokes. You know who means well (or skepticism) but their post... just doesn't get there. You know who's there for the money. You know who's there to actually help people.

It's a mish-mash group of people with similar interests but different personalities. Also people always come and go, but what always remains is the drama. We have new brands of Robert Clarkes and ChrisKs. Anyone still remember when some of the stupid hosting-related drama got on Keemstar's Drama Alert? I remember kanini (who worked at Centarra at the time) was just pissed in IRC as we were all watching it live. Not a great situation, but what's in the past is in the past.

Save your own time. Buy like one affordable and good VPS from a reputable provider that has a proven track record of sticking around and learn on your own. Stick to the advice of people who show they know what they're talking about. Politely ignore the people who just skim articles and act like they're the expert. Know that whatever happens on this forums is half the time trying to make money and shit talking/jokes. And it's freaking funny.

Without knowledge transfers/shares and help from @Jar, @ryanarp , @MannDude, and @Francisco (as well as other friends who I haven't directly mentioned here), I probably wouldn't be as productive or effective at what I do everyday. It's the people that matter the most.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Thanks to @yoursunny for reposting here the helpful advice of heavens for those who want to learn!

In the time I have been a member here at LET I got some good server deals and read some very useful technical posts! The same over at LES! I am sure there are good deals and good learning at hostloc as well. I wish I also could be a member at hostloc! Maybe someday my Chinese will improve sufficiently to make membership at hostloc possible. :)

Friendly greetings from New York City and Sonora, MX! 🗽🇺🇸🇲🇽🏜️

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@foitin said:

VirMach flash sales?

Where did the OG author mentioned it in his post?

Apple translate says

As a newcomer to loc, I came to the forum for less than a month. Before I came, because the forum appeared relatively high in terms of searching for "Oracle bone registration".

So apparently he was learning how to exploit Oracle Cloud there.

Why did you alter that part and

As a new member on LET ???

We practice contextual translation.

For example, if I translate from English to Chinese:

English semantics 中文
    Twitter microblogging site 微博
    Facebook social networking site 人人网
    YouTube free video streaming with user generated content 优酷
    Netflix paid video streaming of copyrighted work 爱奇艺

Each website is translated to the equivalent service popular in China, instead of the literal Chinese name of the service that many people may not have heard of.

In this text, "Oracle Cloud registration" is translated to "VirMach flash sales" because it is one of the most exploited provider in the targeting forum.