Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Prometeus] Price update announcement - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Prometeus] Price update announcement

13»

Comments

• @Maounique said: Move to new services, one IPv4 is free and maybe even the price for the service remains unchanged for same or lower resources. We will save by keeping old customers with no issues and by retiring old and inefficient hardware.

Are our KVMx plans which migrated from Solus to Virtualizator in 2019 in order to consolidate all plans under the same GUI and management interface also considered as old outdated and too expensive now? (it seems so)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Rockster said: In relation to the Prometeus I am client who purchased advertised offer and this is it.

Then please contact us in a ticket and express your concerns there. I am not the one which started drama about how Prometeus is treating LET badly after profiting from them for 10 years.

@Rockster said: Are our KVMx plans which migrated from Solus to Virtualizator in 2019 in order to consolidate all plans under the same GUI and management interface also considered as old outdated and too expensive now? (it seems so)

They have been discontinued because the hardware was also old not only the stack. Where hardware is decent the plans are still on to this day, including those on CentOS 6.

There are 2 things here:
    1. Those plans, while created for the purpose of replacing the old ones, have also been sold to new customers. The number is pretty low, though so maybe something can be done about it, which brings us to
    2. Old customers have the right to request at least a free IPv4 included in the plan (extra ones will be charged at the new, doubled, price). How will that be implemented, I need to talk to Uncle about it, at this time he rushes things to be ready by Christmas, please open a ticket to handle your case as a special case.

• @TheLinuxBug said:

@Zerpy said: Tell that to Hetzner.

Why? You get a single IPv4 with their servers

IPv4 is now a separate item. The thing you said shouldn't happen. Maybe you didn't get the memo about that yet :)

Even on your existing servers the primary IP coming with the server, has been converted to an addon.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    and I have never seen them add an arbitrary new cost for my existing IPv4 that is included with the server.

Yet™ Splitting it up, very much allows them increasing the cost of the "included" IP, since it's a separate billable item.

It will be possible to drop the IPv4 at some point. If not on old lines, you can move to a new line and not take the add-on.
    That being said, old customers will have the opportunity at some point to get the IPv4 free.
    We are still considering how to manage that.

@Rockster said: I am not arguing or anything, just correcting you as my old OpenVZ 6 Prometeus boxes (few of them on different nodes) were discontinued long time ago and replaced with more expensive KVMv2 with some discount.

Yes, some old hardware has been removed, but we still have OVZ6 services to this day, some even for free, it is now possible to consolidate them on one maybe 2 nodes and keep them there for people which have to use that.
    OVZ7 is available through the OVerZold brand in my.iperweb.com but we are not fans of it. Stock will only be added when some customers leave, we will not be adding new servers.
    The problem is not only the increased cost for IPs and utilities, it is also the fact our racks are full. Recently some company wanted to pay a premium to rent a rack from us in order to have a wave in MIX and we couldn't make an offer.
    This is because the growth of the retail products and the customer base happened too quickly and the prices were really low for our location. They were not unsustainable at the time, but we didn't make a profit either (we did not profit from exploiting the LET people as BuyVM fanboys have been accusing us of).
    In time, through hardware upgrade, consolidation, plan upgrades, etc, we maintained both the costs and prices balanced, but this latest (and unprecedented) wave of cost increases has made the situation untenable.
    We are attacking the problem on many fronts, consolidating the VMs and VLANs, retiring old hardware, price increases, after all will be done we should be able to launch a new line of modern and cheap products where IPv4 is only an add-on, a luxury, we will provide a gateway for the v4 only internet, the solution is not yet decided upon, but the NAT one is probably not going to work for us, a gateway of some sort is in the cards.

• Ha

• @Maounique said: Old customers have the right to request at least a free IPv4 included in the plan (extra ones will be charged at the new, doubled, price). How will that be implemented, I need to talk to Uncle about it, at this time he rushes things to be ready by Christmas, please open a ticket to handle your case as a special case.

It's okay. Thank you for your kind offer, but I will follow the same procedure as everyone else. It's a bummer but not the end of the world.

Also thank you for hosting me so long, and I wish you all the best!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

FWIW: I still remember when my friend and colleague was "forced" to have his VPS replaced due to some infrastructure change(s) at Prometeus.

The result: He got way better VPS than he had before, at the same price. So what @Maounique tells about the current/planned changes isn't just blabla, let alone lies, but backed up by concrete, and very positive, facts.

Yes, I know Maounique can irrititate or be boring by seeming to again and again and again warm up what many consider old, cold stories from years ago. But that doesn't mean that Prometeus isn't a very fine provider who - as experience demonstrated - treats their customers fairly and decently.
    And besides, free speech isn't limited to "as long as everyone likes it". Maounique had to take what was thrown at him and now we should have the patience and tolerance to let him be angry or disappointed. Just blocking him and waving him off is neither fair nor does it seem to work.

I certainly don't like price increases but in some cases (like this one) I can understand them and accept them, especially when I know from experience that a provider isn't out to fleece customers but tries his best to be fair and reasonable as is the case with Prometeus.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • I've been on a KVM2 plan with Prometeus since 2012, paying €22,50/year. I started with 15GB/256MB, and in 2019 I got a free upgrade to 35GB/1GB. In 2019 Prometeus lost all data due to RAID issues, but otherwise the service has been reliable. The new price will be around €38/year.

We only pay what is needed by customers, they pay for what they need. If the customers don't need IPv4 we don't pay either, that is the advantage of renting, we are not in the business of speculating, just hosting, there are better ways to speculate, better yields.

Suppose I need an ipv4 address indefinitely (incoming mail server), can I pay for an IPV4 address once to avoid the €1/month fee? That way you don't have to speculate. I don't even need the yield; when I cease being your customer, you can have it back at the same price I paid or the market value, whichever is lower.

@prometeusUser said: an I pay for an IPV4 address once to avoid the €1/month fee?

Ugh, things will be very complicated as they are with us having to recreate xen and ovz plans in KVM, keeping track of who paid what for IP and all is not feasible atm.
    But, if you already have the plan as an old time customer, just open a ticket and it will be free. There might be a renumbering and the whole VLANing is a mess and that is where most IPs are wasted on underutilized servers, but you will have the new IPv4 (if renumbering will be necessary in your case) for free as an old customer.