Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Prometeus] Price update announcement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Prometeus] Price update announcement

Dear client,

as you've probably heard in the news, global commodity and electricity prices are skyrocketing. This is also happening in Italy and in the rest of Europe at the moment, at an exceptional, unforeseen rate that no-one could’ve predicted. The cost increase is affecting everyone in Europe, including industries such as datacenters.

At the same time IPv4 prices more than doubled in the last year and they are going to cost even more next year.

Even though our operational costs increased for several months now, those increases will not be passed on to you retroactively.

For the future anyway we need to update our current fee structure in this way:

VPS and Shared Hosting periodical fee will be increased in average by 15%
for every IPv4 assigned to VPS/Hosting/iwStack instance we will charge €1 per month in addition to the current fee.
We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards

Prometeus Team

I would most likely eat this 15% price increase for my yearly Prometeus VPS, but monthly price increase for already assigned IPs is something to reconsider. Ah, well... :)

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique help explain this a bit since i'm sure others will ask. Since a VPS always includes 1 IPv4 address, does that mean every VPS is going up by 15% + 1EUR/month?

Or is the 1EUR/month if you have more than the included 1 IPV4?

Francisco

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited December 2021

That's what I was wondering too. The way it's written it seems to me like 15% + 1EUR / month for every VPS with one IP.

Also question for hosts, LIRs, etc (you guys will know, I am clueless about that) who own IPs. Does IP costs really increase so much for an old already owned IP space or just their value?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Rockster said: Also question for hosts (I am clueless about that) who own IPs. Does IP costs really increase so much for an old already owned IP space or just their value?

This is a big part of the problem for Prometeus. Hosts of their size/age/stability usually own their IP space to avoid a situation like this. Prometeus does not.

In this particular case, the price increase is caused by very poor planning on their end. They have been renting IP space from the same company at least since the times when they were advertising in this forum, even before RIPE ran out of space and the problem now is that they do not own half of their space.

• I'm reading that as 15% + 1 EUR for each IPv4 assigned.

• Oh, my...
    I always thought they are LIR who use own IP space.

@Rockster said: I always thought they are LIR who use own IP space.

They own part of their IP space... approximately half of it.

Thanked by 2Rockster vimalware
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2021

Hello!

At this time the prices are the same, they will be increased soon.
    I saw some people already requested renewal for next year in advance :p
    The so-called poor planning is not real. We do have IPs more than enough for our core business (B2B) which are companies expected to have a higher latency at switching to IPv6.
    We are renting the rest for our "retail" customers and only on an as needed case, people which need IPv4 will have the option to use it.
    The real poor planning is the fragmentation that occurred over time in our VLANs. We are addressing that on an ongoing basis, for now moving obsolete services such as XenPower and old OVZ6 plans which we are not selling anymore for years and as such density decreased a lot per node. This will also free a couple of racks and reduce power usage.
    We are planning the launch of IPv6 only services and installing a gateway 6 to 4 for our customers only. I personally don't like NAT, people which need to host on IPv4 will still have products including IPv4 to choose from or order IPv4 separately. The hack with NAT and fort forwarding on nonstandard ports is horrible and can only help in very limited situations.
    This is not set in stone, though, still discussing internally.

The problem is not only the last increase of prices, since we set our prices about 10 years ago inflation was about 15% so we took that into account.
    Of course, there are cheaper alternatives all over the place for hobbyists and people for which the price does matter to this degree, we are fully aware of that, there were always cheaper providers around, but Prometeus will remain a small scale provider with a core B2B business and an established (for tens of years) customer base and also offer "retail" services to whoever needs a presence in Milano at a fair price and a reasonable (non-managed) support.
    To answer the direct question, yes, at this time we plan to charge for the default IPv4 included with most plans, also shared hosting (except ftp and assimilated plans where an IP is not needed).

@Maounique said: To answer the direct question, yes, at this time we plan to increase prices for the default IPv4 included with most plans, also shared hosting (except ftp and assimilated plans where an IP is not needed).

So users should expect a VPS to go up by 15%, and then an additional 1EUR/month/IP?

Just wanting to confirm since you can see others are unsure as well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1user123
    edited December 2021

Yes, this is the plan, at this time the prices have not been increased yet.
    That is the reason we specify we will ADD an Eur per IP, our extra (add-on) IPs were always 1 Eur a month each, we could have said the price from now on is 2 Eur, but that is for add-ons only, the included (and, in the future, optional) IPv4 will be 1 Eur (it was free so far, even for plans costing less than an Eur a month).

@Maounique said:
    Yes, this is the plan, at this time the prices have not been increased yet.
    That is the reason we specify we will ADD an Eur per IP, our extra (add-on) IPs were always 1 Eur a month each, we could have said the price from now on is 2 Eur, but that is for add-ons only, the included (and, in the future, optional) IPv4 will be 1 Eur (it was free so far, even for plans costing less than an Eur a month).

OK, so confirmed that all plans are getting a 1 EUR/month increase as well as a 15% base price increase. No idea if the 15% happens before or after the IP cost is added.

The others in this thread appreciate the info :)

Francisco

edited December 2021

The IPv4 is counted separately, not included in the plan anymore, in the future will be optional, but it is likely we will keep charging only 1 Eur for the first IPv4.
    The problem is in the layout of the network, at this time we distribute IPv6/64 together with IPv4, there are ways to uncouple this, but the easiest one (allocating another round of IPv6) has the disadvantage of making it unfriendly towards the IPv4 add-ons, maybe we will keep the current allocation and when someone needs an extra IPv4 (or the first one, for that matter) will also receive the corresponding IPv6 /64 on top of the default one which comes with the plan.

• The Prometeus price increase is clearly more than 15 % + 1 euro, because previously my VPS with single IPv4 address cost €35.96 per year, and after next renewal which is due on December 2021 €50.84. Why? Most LEB/LET users including myself think that is too much.

• @tux said:
    The Prometeus price increase is clearly more than 15 % + 1 euro, because previously my VPS with single IPv4 address cost €35.96 per year, and after next renewal which is due on December 2021 €50.84. Why? Most LEB/LET users including myself think that is too much.

Because:

@Nyr said:

@Rockster said: Also question for hosts (I am clueless about that) who own IPs. Does IP costs really increase so much for an old already owned IP space or just their value?

This is a big part of the problem for Prometeus. Hosts of their size/age/stability usually own their IP space to avoid a situation like this. Prometeus does not.

In this particular case, the price increase is caused by very poor planning on their end. They have been renting IP space from the same company at least since the times when they were advertising in this forum, even before RIPE ran out of space and the problem now is that they do not own half of their space.

• @tux said:
    The Prometeus price increase is clearly more than 15 % + 1 euro, because previously my VPS with single IPv4 address cost €35.96 per year, and after next renewal which is due on December 2021 €50.84. Why? Most LEB/LET users including myself think that is too much.

That looks like a mistake, did you query the invoice?

• edited December 2021

@Nekki said:

@tux said:

Actually looks like he is not lying
    35.96+15%=41.35
    41.35 + 12 (euro per month) = 53.35

So overall a 33% price increase.
    @Maounique does that look about right?

Thanked by 2Nekki drunkendog
  • HooliganHooligan Member
    edited December 2021

@tux said:

The new yearly price looks less than what it should be, if you consider VAT (22% in Italy). It would make sense that both the price increases are pre-VAT, and the 15% increase would happen before the IP price increase.

€35.96 / 1.22 ~= €29.48 [pre-VAT]

€29.48 * 1.15 ~= €33.90 [15% increase]

€33.90 + €12 = €45.90 [IP price increase]

€45.90 * 1.22 ~= €56 [post-VAT]

• I didn't think that there were still a significant number of LET participants who used Prometeus, but I guess that there are more than I thought

edited December 2021

@Maounique said:
    The so-called poor planning is not real. We do have IPs more than enough for our core business (B2B) which are companies expected to have a higher latency at switching to IPv6.
    We are renting the rest for our "retail" customers and only on an as needed case, people which need IPv4 will have the option to use it.

Uh? You are now paying per year what you could've paid to own the subnets back then.

Of course I am not going to tell anyone how to run their business but I see no benefit in doing that.

• I still recall @mpkossen's long-standing signature "I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!", but I dare say that his signature breaks the rules because it contains a hidden affiliation link. :o

(See, for example,

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3110781/#Comment_3110781 .

I wonder whether he still has a service at Prometeus.)

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@Nekki said:

@tux said:

Actually looks like he is not lying
    35.96+15%=41.35
    41.35 + 12 (euro per month) = 53.35

So overall a 33% price increase.
    @Maounique does that look about right?

Mathematics fail!

edited December 2021

@Nyr said: Uh? You are now paying per year what you could've paid to own the subnets back then.

We only pay what is needed by customers, they pay for what they need. If the customers don't need IPv4 we don't pay either, that is the advantage of renting, we are not in the business of speculating, just hosting, there are better ways to speculate, better yields.
    I look at IPs as I would look at a third party license, the customers need cPanel licenses? Fine, we can be a distributor, we were for a while and as far as I know we are still for DA, also we have datacenter windows server deals, customers demand, we provide.
    Uncle started thinking this in similar terms to his Italian small business and corporate customers which were customers some since 1998 (imported in WHMCS, there are still some active). So, people come, stay for decades, then die :P
    LET has this culture of bargain hunting and moving for 1 Eur less (me included) and we also overestimated this expecting customers to leave as soon as we left LET, but that is not the case. I see some people here also wondering how come there are still so many LET people with a service at Prometeus so we were not the only ones overthinking it :P
    Looking into my personal garden, if people would like to pay for the luxury of delaying the move to IPv6, then that is their right, prices are going up everywhere, that is the point, when a resource is scarce, the price will go up. The speculative bubble will hasten the deployment of IPv6 everywhere, the shorter the transition, the better.
    Now, we are planning to release some ranges, in the following months, as customers leave. This price increase will probably make some 15% of the customers leave leading to better management of space, less need of support, release of IPs to where they will be needed, lower power consumption and better efficiency.
    It was never planned to have 4k customers, it lead to chaotic deployment, overwork for uncle, waste of resources.
    We should have deployed IWStack earlier, it is much more efficient at resource allocation.

• fuck'em I cancel my service with them, till now this is the only provider what send this mail, noone else did it.

@Nekki said: Mathematics fail!

Guys, prices are only now applied. VAT complicates things, but at this time only the IP prices have been factored in for some service. For some services it is possible that the VM price per se will remain the same.
    It is possible there will be errors in the script, please open a ticket if something does not look right.

• @cold said:
    fuck'em I cancel my service with them, till now this is the only provider what send this mail, noone else did it.

So you have a service with them that you can cancel?

• @Maounique said:

Guys, prices are only now applied. VAT complicates things, but at this time only the IP prices have been factored in for some service. For some services it is possible that the VM price per se will remain the same.
    It is possible there will be errors in the script, please open a ticket if something does not look right.

I meant I failed to calculate the new price properly.

• @Maounique said: LET has this culture of bargain hunting and moving for 1 Eur less (me included) and we also overestimated this expecting customers to leave as soon as we left LET, but that is not the case. I see some people here also wondering how come there are still so many LET people with a service at Prometeus so we were not the only ones overthinking it :P

I have 2 services which are now 9.5 years old. I'm sorry, must have missed the memo saying I'm expected to leave after a while.

I can understand the price increase but the services I'm using are super cheap and this increase will more than double the price. Shame, it was great performance and uptime for the price

• @Nekki said:

@Maounique said:

I meant I failed to calculate the new price properly.

It's Friday. You didn't fail to calculate the price, the price failed to calculate you :-)

Thanked by 1Nekki

@vedran said: I'm sorry, must have missed the memo saying I'm expected to leave after a while.

You are not "expected" to leave. We thought people will leave because we no longer offered ultra small boxes and prices less than a dollar a month.
    There were always cheaper offers, even when we did the 50 cent plan, the stability and support are the things that we strive for, rather than price.

• @angstrom said:

@cold said:
    fuck'em I cancel my service with them, till now this is the only provider what send this mail, noone else did it.

So you have a service with them that you can cancel?

u can cancel any service with everyone, except with Vodafonne, they keep sending u invoices

edited December 2021

@cold said: u can cancel any service with everyone, except with Vodafonne, they keep sending u invoices

Yeah they sent to my dead aunt for three more months after I told them she is dead, each time saying that is the last one :P

@angstrom said: So you have a service with them that you can cancel?

As any customer of ours knows, a formal cancellation is not necessary, nor 30 days advanced notice, it is just a minimal courtesy we can expect, people let is lapse and come after months or even years demanding their data back...
    The funny part is that sometimes uncle has a copy stashed some place from an upgrade or a hardware change, or a failed disk, etc...