Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo follow up - and: the *real* Contabo problem - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo follow up - and: the *real* Contabo problem

Comments

• @Master_Bo said:

@jsg said:
    I'll do what I said. I'll wait what, if any, changes monday brings and if my NVMe VPS is slower or there are any other negative changes. If the result of their changes is a slower NVMe/ significantly lower IOPS I'll ask them to take the jsg quote out; if not then I won't.

Well, this is why I distrust quotes, reviews, recommendations, testimonials etc. - unless I know the author(s) of the listed.

"Well, guys, your service is grea... oh shit, why your NVM is 3% slower than yesterday?! No, your service is no longer great, remove my testimonial".

I definitely need more popcorn in this case.

Quote won’t be removed until the NVME performance is ridiculously low. Just ordinary 50% low won’t count.

• @dev_vps said:

@Master_Bo said:
    "Well, guys, your service is grea... oh shit, why your NVM is 3% slower than yesterday?! No, your service is no longer great, remove my testimonial".

Quote won’t be removed until the NVME performance is ridiculously low. Just ordinary 50% low won’t count.

3%, 50%, 66.6%... the exact number isn't that important. Testimonial refers to the past experience. If it's so simple "to edit the past", quotes aren't of much value to me.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:
    We don't need speculation, it's just a few days of patience and we'll have facts and data.

who is included in “we” ??

You already got way more than your fair share of attention. have a nice sunday.

@Master_Bo said:

@jsg said:
    I'll do what I said. I'll wait what, if any, changes monday brings and if my NVMe VPS is slower or there are any other negative changes. If the result of their changes is a slower NVMe/ significantly lower IOPS I'll ask them to take the jsg quote out; if not then I won't.

Well, this is why I distrust quotes, reviews, recommendations, testimonials etc. - unless I know the author(s) of the listed.

Nuh, that's not what this is about. Their SSD had solid 4 digit IOPS (and btw. were really nice SSDs) but now are brutally IO limited.

With 3% difference, even with 15% difference I won't make noise. But if the NVMe would be brutally cut down in terms of IO then the jsg quote would simply no longer be appropriate.

But again, that was just a wild guess. Maybe their monday change is just innocent maintenance. We'll soon know.

Thanked by 2Master_Bo wpyoga
  • @jsg said:

Hey, thanks for the reviews. I've been eyeing Contabo for a while, and I've not pulled the trigger, but your benchmarks are very informative for me.

Don't worry about the detractors and those who like to call you names, you can just ignore them just like a woman would ignore any catcallers on the street. Sure they are distracting, but not worth the time to shoo away.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @wpyoga said: Hey, thanks for the reviews.

You have been blinded by the dirt fling into your eyes.

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

Romans 16:17-18

Thanked by 1Jesus
  • @jsg said: It might as well just be changing memory stick or some maintenance.

Apparently memory sticks can be hot-swapped for you to run your benchmark during maintenance.

• @jsg when you do your tests are these all free servers provided or do you sign up anonymously and test.

• @wpyoga said:
    Hey, thanks for the reviews. I've been eyeing Contabo for a while, and I've not pulled the trigger, but your benchmarks are very informative for me.

Shall I sow seeds of doubt in your mind, or eke out the existing ones?

I am using Contabo VPS (February 2013 - January 2016, September 2018 - present). I detect no deterioration in VPS features (but perhaps it could be interesting to benchmark it from time to time).

When choosing from reviews, choose those coming from people actually using the products they review. Good luck.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited December 2021

@dev_vps said:

@Master_Bo said:

@jsg said:

Quote will be removed at involucration level, at which time the benchmark still shows good results because hot swapping is supported ;-)

edited December 2021

@LeonDynamic said:
    @jsg when you do your tests are these all free servers provided or do you sign up anonymously and test.

Usually I get access for some time for free and from what I experienced so far, most providers play it let's say not hard-core unfair. So what I usually test is certainly not their slowest node but something like a well performing but normal production node.

Btw, I do not publish all benchmarks I do but recently for example I've benchmarked VPSs from Hetzner (CX21) and a BuyVM / @Francisco VPS (each about 100 runs over some days) and I'm still happy with my Contabo VPSs (minus the brutal SSD IO limits)

Not ideal, I know and in quite some cases I actually purchase a VPS and benchmark it, but sorry, I'm no multi-millionaire, so those cases are limited.

@M66B said:
    Quote will be removed at involucration level, at which time the benchmark still shows good results because hot swapping is supported ;-)

I will demand the quote to be removed if and when I see significant negative changes.
    Back when I said what they quote it was said honestly and I was really impressed. Until now I don't see my NVMe getting significantly worse, beyond what is totally normal fluctuation in production (but I've meanwhile seen faster NVMes, so today I wouldn't say what I said back then. Kindly pardon me not being able to see the future).

And yes, I know, many will hate me for that, but I'm not the kind of person who willy nilly condemns someone or a company, so I will contact Contabo (coming week, after monday) and simply ask why my SSDs (and possibly my NVMe; we'll see) are so IO limited - which was not the case when I got them. In my view benchmarked companies should at the very least have the right to be heard, to explain themselves.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:
    …. are so IO limited - which was not the case when I got them.

Ask Contabo to publish this along with your quote.
    If you are fair to their customers, this is least expected

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:
    …. are so IO limited - which was not the case when I got them.

Ask Contabo to publish this along with your quote.
    If you are fair to their customers, this is least expected

I know, you don't really care about fairness but I do. My quote was wrt NVMe VPS. Had it been wrt SSD VPS I would indeed demand it to be removed - but it wasn't.

If and when their NVMes - because that's what my quote refers to - should get significantly worse 2 things would happen, (a) I would contact and ask them about it, and (b) I would demand removing my quote.

Kindly stop to again and again trying to obtrusively force your personal rules on me. It didn't work and it won't work.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

Not going to waste any more time on you

Thanked by 1Andrews

@dev_vps said:
    Not going to waste any more time of you

Corrected spelling and: Thank you very much indeed!

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Jsg is trying to look fair but there are various caveats, you should understand that too but your effort is appreciated.

• @jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

Ooooooh, spelling correction, controversial!

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

You have edited my post reference by replacing on with of.

If this is what you call “spelling correction”, I highly doubt your benchmarking skills

PS - my post did not refer or reply to any id, yet you chose to reply. 👏🏼👏🏼

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

You have edited my post reference by replacing on with of.

If this is what you call “spelling correction”, I highly doubt your benchmarking skills

PS - my post did not refer or reply to any id, yet you chose to reply. 👏🏼👏🏼

Well, what can I do, you are just sooo superior and smarter than me.

Your stubborn half-woke obtrusive nagging will not succeed forcing your personal rules upon me, period.

• @jsg said: Well, what can I do, you are just sooo superior and smarter than me.

Your stubborn half-woke obtrusive nagging will not succeed forcing your personal rules upon me, period.

In my opinion, some people find reactions like these funny. This is why they keep provoking you non-stop. Stop feeding the trolls!

P.S. Assuming @dev_vps did not edit his post, "on" was indeed correct.

Thanked by 2jsg wpyoga
  • @smallbibi said:

@jsg said: Well, what can I do, you are just sooo superior and smarter than me.

In my opinion, some people find reactions like these funny. This is why they keep provoking you non-stop. Stop feeding the trolls!

It’s fucking hilarious, frankly.

Thanked by 1Jesus
  • @smallbibi said:

@jsg said: Well, what can I do, you are just sooo superior and smarter than me.

P.S. Assuming @dev_vps did not edit his post, "on" was indeed correct.

Simply ask him,
    Did he replace on with of in that sentence?
    Yes/No

I hope he is not lie about this.

• @Dazzle said:
    ...while I'm a friendly person...

friendly as a shit :D

@jsg said:

He is better in imitating human emotions than Christian Balle, so he could be star of the Mexican Psycho.

Guys, imagine him serving customers at Taco Bell, with all his "vomits", "denial of existence" and "stubborn half-woke obtrusive nagging" and his definition of being friendly... :D

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited December 2021

@Nekki said: It’s fucking hilarious, frankly.

No comment.

@dev_vps said: Simply ask him,
    Did he replace on with of in that sentence?
    Yes/No
    I hope he is not lie about this.

And what is the point in competing with @jsg when both of you are quite evidently non-native speakers and frequently make grammatical mistakes?

@Andrews
    Just curious, how did @jsg benefit in any way from defending cociu? I really doubt he stands to gain anything from these reviews.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited December 2021

@smallbibi said: @Andrews
    Just curious, how did @jsg benefit in any way from defending cociu? I really doubt he stands to gain anything from these reviews.

9 free servers
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3241672#Comment_3241672

• Because that shows … he replaced on with of
    1. That changes the meaning of the sentence
    2. He calked it spelling correction

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @smallbibi said:

@Nekki said: It’s fucking hilarious, frankly.

No comment.

Taking your own advice, smart.

Thanked by 1NoComment
  • drunkendogdrunkendog Member
    edited December 2021

@jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

Is completely fine grammatically, and is definitely better than

which is completely wrong; you shouldn't be using this preposition here. Of is usually followed by a noun, which isn't present here. There are also some other cases where it can be used, but they aren't relevant right now.

The correct way to do your bludgeoned correction would be to go

Not going to waste any more of your time (noun)

But I guess you can't pretend you're better at English that way. In the future, if you're going to be pedantic, please ensure that you're right first.

Edit: Fixed typo

@stevewatson301 said:

@smallbibi said: @Andrews

9 free servers
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3241672#Comment_3241672

Access to 9 VPS. Except for one (which I never made a secret of) all those servers were not free test servers but those of my friend and colleague (also never hidden but told openly).

Plus, and more importantly, I did not defend cociu. I merely didn't walk along with the "facts? Who cares about facts? Crucify cociu!!!" crowd.

@dev_vps said:
    Because that shows … he replaced on with of
    1. That changes the meaning of the sentence
    2. He calked it spelling correction

... and "he" clearly said so ... OMG! jsg got trapped!!! He changed a letter and right away told it himself!

Idiot!

@drunkendog said:

@jsg said:

@dev_vps said:

Is completely fine grammatically, and is definitely better than

which is completely wrong; you shouldn't be using this preposition here. Of is usually followed by a noun, which isn't present here. There are also some other cases where it can be used, but they aren't relevant right now.

The correct way to do your bludgeoned correction would be to go

Not going to waste any more of your time (noun)

But I guess you can't pretend you're better at English that way. In the future, if you're going to be pedantic, please ensure that you're right first.

Edit: Fixed typo

And jsg's English isn't perfect!!! OMG!!!

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • @jsg said:
    ... and "he" clearly said so ... OMG! jsg got trapped!!! He changed a letter and right away told it himself!

Idiot!

When you run out of arguments, personal attacks is definitely a good idea.

God bless you.

Thanked by 1Jesus
  • @jsg said:

And jsg's English isn't perfect!!! OMG!!!

No-one’s English is perfect, that’s why correcting someone else’s is bad juju, man.