Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Lifetime" MyW BF deal (shared hosting)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Lifetime" MyW BF deal (shared hosting)

DISCLAIMER:
I just bought this service few days ago ( End Nov 2021)

here is the deal:

Shared Hosting
2GB SSD space
Unlimited Emails
Unlimited Domains
Unmetered Bandwidth
Available in LA (Los Angeles, USA), DE (Germany, Europe) and SG (Singapore, Asia)
Price: 15€ LIFETIME, Stock: 100

Anyways, it has DirectPanel access
Which grants:
Python
NodeJS
Email
Cron Jobs
Some auto installer

and other stuff i dont care about

So wait... if this has Python, can i run arbitrary code ON TOP of a website/email and other stuff?

so i tried:

import subprocess
result = subprocess.run(['ls'], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
print(result.stdout)

and it worked

so my next step was, to obviously use it for unintended purposes >:)
pip installed py-cord and run a discord bot on webhosting

and to my surprise, it worked, anyways to kill it you need another script... just run kill or use psutil or whatever

later i found out you can request SSH access, had only 1 day to play with it, since I want to push this out (before i get unmotivated and forget)

so basically you don't have root access, you are probably inside a docker container? some stuff is preinstalled, but you can install stuff yourself and use .batchrc to add it to path
i got htop, pm2, redis and other stuff working, costs a bit of storage tho but well worth it for me

Email is RoundCube one and works, you can send max 100 emails per hour but that's fine for me.

Personally i bought it only for email but it has more !
I could probably add a script that encrypts all my emails and sends them somewhere to be safe every so often
could also use it for my flask/quart API? or similar, the possibilities are endless
you could also probably screw the webhosting and email, get yourself cheapass discord bot hosting or literally whatever, not having root isn't THAT limiting if you know yourself around Linux

However, getting stuff to run without root is HARDER, there are limitations, you need to know Linux very well to use it for discord bots or API, but it's definitely possible.

As for the company, doing some googling around it's called "WNDP - WEBNEGÓCIO" and is a Portugiese company, the owner(?) MikePT appears to be active on forum and google says the company was established in 2016, no idea if it's true but considering Mike Joined LET November 2011 he probably knows what he's doing

As for "Lifetime" aspect of it, you!, yes, you will be the judge !

For past 3 years i have my own API (for donators, blacklists, staff, other things)
since early 2021 it's been hosted with @RackNerd | more info here and i intend to keep it forever.

So i decided to add the few lines of code needed to see when was the last time my shared hosting was online

@app.route('REDACTED', methods=['GET'])
async def REDACTED(): 
    app.redis.set('myw-pt-last-seen', str(datetime.now()))
    return ""

@app.route('/api/myw.pt-last-seen', methods=['GET'])
async def myw_pt_check():
    try:
        if app.redis.exists('myw-pt-last-seen'):
            return app.redis.get('myw-pt-last-seen')
        else:
            return "there are some issues with the database, please come later"
    except:
        return "Redis is probably down, try again later"

It's very simple, yet should do the job !

The http requests are done automatically with ChronJob, I also intend to use the service for mostly email and email backup... so ChronJob should be on for "lifetime" !

CHECK IF MY SERVER IS UP

( I only use LET when i have too much money/there is event, but I'll make sure to check the thread once a while )

Feel free to ask questions

TL;DR; use the link above to check if the server is up, if it is, it means it's prob the best deal I have seen in years as you can use it for well, discord bots, email, apps, scripts, websites etc.

Thanked by 2Logano User1
How long do you think will the company/service last?
  1. less than 3 years72 votes
    1. between 3 and 5 years
      51.39%
    2. 5 to 10 years
      15.28%
    3. 10 years+
        8.33%
    4. Till OP dies (he's 24) and beyond
      25.00%

Comments

• I also bought a lifetime deal which is idling :D

• What is a lifetime deal for, if not for idling for all eternity?

• Everyone wants everything forever.

Depends how long they be able pay out for upstream provider.

• For anyone not familiar with MyW hosting - the owner, Mike, is the Jose Mourinho of web-hosting.
    He's a top-class hosting provider, and, I must say - he's got top-class customers.

His company and legacy will last forever!

On a more serious note - thanks for the in-detail feedback on what you could do with what is a shared hosting environment.

More on lifetime offers - what is realistic to expect.

• @bikegremlin said: the owner, Mike, is the Jose Mourinho of web-hosting

Highly temperamental, blames problems on everything except himself, does well for a couple of years then jumps ship?

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Logano
  • ****> @Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said: the owner, Mike, is the Jose Mourinho of web-hosting

Highly temperamental, blames problems on everything except himself, does well for a couple of years then jumps ship?

Well :D

• @Nekki said:

:D

You don't know much about football, do you?
    :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

In my personal experience no such thing as lifetime cost of service as eventually company will revoke the deal or declare “bankruptcy” or terminate your service.

Example: in supermarkets they do occasionally deals knifes with lifetime warranty, each year companies which sell products closing down on Friday and re-open business on Monday under new name with the same staff and directors - cost peanuts compare to fulfil the warranty.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

It’s a joke, fella. IMO he’s the greatest FM since Brian Clough.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

Yeah - all cool. I got it. Just followed up (put a smiley, thought it would do). :)

• @WebProject said:
    In my personal experience no such thing as lifetime cost of service as eventually company will revoke the deal or declare “bankruptcy” or terminate your service.

Example: in supermarkets they do occasionally deals knifes with lifetime warranty, each year companies which sell products closing down on Friday and re-open business on Monday under new name with the same staff and directors - cost peanuts compare to fulfil the warranty.

My Leatherman multi-tool will soon be old enough to order alcohol in the USA.
    It came with a lifetime warranty. And the company is still alive & kickin'. :)

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited December 2021

@WebProject said:

This is why I always see people clarifying that a lifetime deal is not referring to your lifetime or the lifetime of any other human, but the lifetime of the company/sometimes service. The implication is that your plan will remain for as long as MyW is still offering shared hosted, however long that may be.

As such, buying a lifetime product is difficult to do much cost analysis on because the end of the service is a completely unknown date in the future. Always have caution when accepting lifetime services from companies you don't trust.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

Yeah - all cool. I got it. Just followed up (put a smiley, thought it would do). :)

I’m not much of a texter/tweeter/whatsapper, so I never really know how to interpret the smileys. I often get the impression they’re deployed for smugness reasons, but I’m never sure so I end up ignoring them.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin skorous
  • @Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

I’m not much of a texter/tweeter/whatsapper, so I never really know how to interpret the smileys. I often get the impression they’re deployed for smugness reasons, but I’m never sure so I end up ignoring them.

I found your comment very funny. Liked it.

Smileys have been used for as long as I remember (BBS / Usenet, forums etc.). Thought at least that's universal to say you are joking. But I understand it's not easy - online, with practically text-only communication (not being sarcastic or anything).

• @bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Nekki said:

I found your comment very funny. Liked it.

Smileys have been used for as long as I remember (BBS / Usenet, forums etc.). Thought at least that's universal to say you are joking. But I understand it's not easy - online, with practically text-only communication (not being sarcastic or anything).

When there was just the one smiley I was ok. Now there are so many of them (that all look slightly different on different devices), I’m lost.

• Got 2 mini reseller plans with @MikePT
    found that each servers is hosting 600-900 sites.
    However the plans so far are still running quite stable.

• DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
    edited December 2021

@bikegremlin said: My Leatherman multi-tool will soon be old enough to order alcohol in the USA.

It came with a lifetime warranty. And the company is still alive & kickin'.

i bought a Transcend USB stick about 8? years ago
    im abusing it, daily on my keychain, bent like crap, went to swim in anything from mild acid to solvents
    came with lifetime warranty, still works
    on the other hand, i bought an SSD which died not even a month later...

@Erisa said: As such, buying a lifetime product is difficult to do much cost analysis on because the end of the service is a completely unknown date in the future. Always have caution when accepting lifetime services from companies you don't trust.

for me it's 3 years to break even, if the service lasts 5 or more years then im happy

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt Erisa
  • still running great ! recently added 1 domain and 3 emails and works perfectly fine

we'll see next year :)

• boring

• works great, no issues
    also set up email backup using ftp to my own server just because paranoia

my website is also up u host with them

let's see next year !