Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill Worth it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill Worth it

JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Is HostBill worth the jump from WHMCS?

We mainly do Support and custom products like office365 / VoIP / cloud backup etc…

Comments

• Test. Migration is a nightmare if you have any customizations on whmcs. For a fresh start hb is better than whmcs.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Test. Migration is a nightmare if you have any customizations on whmcs. For a fresh start hb is better than whmcs.

This. Especially if you have a larger client base on WHMCS. HB is much better in terms of accounting for EU, though. WHMCS needs a ton of hacks to issue proper credit notes.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Yes, it's worth it. Once you moved you'll never look back

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • I feel like only summer hosts would use it really. WHMCS is a much more mature product and anyone serious would either use WHMCS or even Blesta.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I only have about 100 clients to move over, so it would be manual over Christmas.

As long as GoCardless DD will import that's fine.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    I feel like only summer hosts would use it really. WHMCS is a much more mature product and anyone serious would either use WHMCS or even Blesta.

Nah! Summer hosts doesn't have $$$ to invest only in a billing platform. They may prefer whmcs or blesta

@JamesF said:
    Is HostBill worth the jump from WHMCS?

We mainly do Support and custom products like office365 / VoIP / cloud backup etc…

If you can migrate and not expecting support on Saturday Sunday then it's fine. Even far better than WHMCS.

GOOD LUCK 👍

Thanked by 1JamesF

@ViridWeb

I noticed you are using it. How do you find the support ticket system built in? is it easy to talk to your staff in it?

Is it easy to create custom products?

edited November 2021

I'm burning through these support tickets though. only 7 left. They cost 75USD each or something like that when I run out of them.

• @ezeth said:
    I'm burning through these support tickets though. only 7 left. They cost 75USD each or something like that when I run out of them.

Ouch. How many support tickets in total does it take to install HostBill? It must be quite complicated yikes

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

I noticed you are using it. How do you find the support ticket system built in? is it easy to talk to your staff in it?

Yes it's almost perfect and do everything we need very smoothly..

And yes absolutely fantastic and easy to use.
    For us it's super user-friendly. Just set everything on product page and hostbill will do almost everything automatically.

@ezeth said:

Lol..

BTW, if the issue was not important and tricky then ask them politely to not count those tickets and they will not deduct them. At least few of them.

@dahartigan said:

@ezeth said:

Ouch. How many support tickets in total does it take to install HostBill? It must be quite complicated yikes

No it's super easy to install and manage. At least for us.

We only use 2 tickets for that. And 1 of them is we asked them where's the button to edit the theme :tongue:

But then we ask them to not count that ticket as the issue is very childish then they count only 1 :smiley:

But, sometimes we struggle to find some minor tutorials on their documentation page as they are almost hidden under other tutorials. That's the one thing I hate..

• @ViridWeb said:

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

For us it's super user-friendly. Just set everything on product page and hostbill will do almost everything automatically.

@ezeth said:

Lol..

BTW, if the issue was not important and tricky then ask them politely to not count those tickets and they will not deduct them. At least few of them.

@dahartigan said:

@ezeth said:

We only use 2 tickets for that. And 1 of them is we asked them where's the button to edit the theme :tongue:

But then we ask them to not count that ticket as the issue is very childish then they count only 1 :smiley:

But, sometimes we struggle to find some minor tutorials on their documentation page as they are almost hidden under other tutorials. That's the one thing I hate..

How many tickets does it come with? Is it 10?

edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:

@ViridWeb said:

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

@ezeth said:

Lol..

@dahartigan said:

@ezeth said:

How many tickets does it come with? Is it 10?

From 10 to 100 It depends on which version you are using.

With our license we got 20 for free

Edited: https://hostbillapp.com/pricing/

Thanked by 1dahartigan

It’s going to cost me around $700 with password manager, comet backup or Acronis and xero plugin.

I wish it worked with pax8.

It’s a toss up between this or buying the DirectAdmin plugin for WHMCS as we already have the password manager one.

@JamesF said:
    It’s going to cost me around $700 with password manager, comet backup or Acronis and xero plugin.

I wish it worked with pax8.

It’s a toss up between this or buying the DirectAdmin plugin for WHMCS as we already have the password manager one.

I already spent over 1k USD on Hostbill

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm enjoying it so far. The support ticket system is by far superior to WHMCS. I'm using it to send auto replies when certain criteria are met, which saves me time.

The only problems have been caused by migrating from WHMCS:

1. Not everything imported, no errors I noticed. Services just weren't there.
    2. Customers given upgrade/downgrade options for billing cycles that weren't enabled, for prices that automatically refund them credit for no reason.
    3. Services not generating renewal invoices when they're supposed to.

Anything that started in HostBill is perfect. I'm still dealing with the fallout from the migration. Probably will be for a few years in a few corners that were missed.

@jar

Thanks. I noticed your using it. I logged in to have a browse as a client.

I would do a manual migration as I think that’s going to be the best way.

Do you know If Gocardless will pull the existing direct debits like WHMCS does?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

Where you find he using it ? I think he using whmcs ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@JamesF said:
    @jar

Thanks. I noticed your using it. I logged in to have a browse as a client.

I would do a manual migration as I think that’s going to be the best way.

Do you know If Gocardless will pull the existing direct debits like WHMCS does?

I'm not sure. Some of my stripe subscriptions didn't import and customers had to add cards again.

Thanked by 1webcraft
    edited November 2021

@mrlongshen said:

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

fiberia.io

@ViridWeb said:

@mrlongshen said:

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

fiberia.io

Your
    Dronten
    Netherlands
    flag is very nice. How did you do that?

edited November 2021

@ezeth said:

@ViridWeb said:

@mrlongshen said:

@JamesF said:
    @ViridWeb

fiberia.io

Your
    Dronten
    Netherlands
    flag is very nice. How did you do that?

Don't waste your tickets for that, Just use subcategories..

(This is that kind of hidden things I was talk about)

They are hide this things under other pages and you can't find it easily.

This location is shown when you'll use parent category feature under Settings -> Products & Services, each child category can then have flag enabled/set in orderpage configuration ( Settings -> Products & Services -> {orderpage} -> edit -> customize )

1. Create a category like Netherlands
    2. Create a sub category (Dronten) under the Netherlands category
    3. On this category (Dronten) there's an option to add icon/flag

Enjoy! :wink:

Thanked by 1ezeth
    edited November 2021

I don’t think the Gocardless module will import existing mandates in Gocardless like WHMCS does. So it may be a no go from the start :(

Unless I link the clients in xero and use the xero module to push the payment via gocardless

I had the same issue when looking at Blesta.

• @dahartigan said:

@ezeth said:

I burned one because sutpedly tested without turning out queue cron and, not noticed and second to give me whmcs importer as it was not included in mine licenses I got before they anounce that in the docs

Everything else is in the docs

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I have a HB license and have used it a few times for non-production. Generally, it's a great automation/billing solution, and their development team and ethics are superior to WHMCS. I would be scared to migrate an existing, large WHMCS installation to it, but would absolutely start something new with it and develop around it. Especially after WHMCS forced owned license holders to change to the per-client billing or get no updates/bug fixes.

I also think order provisioning is slow. It takes many minutes. I do run their queue cron every 5 minutes as per their docs idk if this has anything to do with it.

I also have to get a custom development because I made a html invoice and the pdf conversion looks strange. I wonder how much this will cost.

but apart from that this billing software is the best that I've ever used. So many integrations, it has everything I need except for direct bank transfer payment module but this is no requirement.

I have purchased it, but found the Gocardless integration doesn’t recognise existing direct debit mandates like WHMCS and Xero does, so doesn’t look like it’s going to work for us.

I also struggled to find any documentation on performing backups or restore if your VPS failed since it needs to run in its own environment.

• @JamesF said:
    I have purchased it, but found the Gocardless integration doesn’t recognise existing direct debit mandates like WHMCS and Xero does, so doesn’t look like it’s going to work for us.

I also struggled to find any documentation on performing backups or restore if your VPS failed since it needs to run in its own environment.

Report everything to HB support. They will issue you with invoice for needed tune ups for plugins. For modification of 2 - 3 plugins they will charge you ~300 EUR per single plugin.

edited November 2021

@JamesF said:

I run it at ApisCP, it has automatic database backups. I have set it to backup every day and keep 30 of them. These are local backups. I then run snapshots on the vps

In your case just do a cron that runs mysql dump

Managed to fix the GoCardless by getting the ID's from WHMCS :smile: - Thanks To Support.

I do wish there was some kind of auto backup feature in HostBill, failing that I will need to look at Hetzner or DigitalOcean to run the service and use their snapshots as some kind of failover.