Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

› Anything better than wordpress for my personal blog? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anything better than wordpress for my personal blog?

2»

Comments

• @vyas11 said:

@Ympker said:
    Another option for headless WP: https://frontity.org/

Might be worth a look :)

You mean Frontity, an Automattic company ?

Yes, it got aquired by Automattic which are the guys behind WordPress.com :)

• @o_be_one said:
    Well, GetGrav is more and more praised to replace CMS like WordPress and others. I was looking for alternative too and, even if i know Grav since the beginning, i've never seen all those positives feedbacks regarding it. Maybe take a look on it?

i guess, the safest setup is without admin panel.

• I've used Gridsome (https://gridsome.org/) to consume data from WP in a Vue app before. Works pretty well.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited January 2022

@ascicode said:

@o_be_one said:
    Well, GetGrav is more and more praised to replace CMS like WordPress and others. I was looking for alternative too and, even if i know Grav since the beginning, i've never seen all those positives feedbacks regarding it. Maybe take a look on it?

i guess, the safest setup is without admin panel.

True. At least they have included the admin plugin in their regular workflow so i guess they did some audit on it. Haven't checked a lot more.

Oh yeah for op by the way i've also learned about WordPress and generatic static website from it using appi.sh! Looks interesting, will probably take a closer look soon as i have Oxygen Builder to make my theme :D!

• Why not getpublii.com?

• Wordpress is pretty damn good, and allows you to move to different hosting providers if needed and its simple to use

• Is possible run WP with SQLite. At last you get flat file WP. Fits the backup and high memory issue...

• Yahoo Geocities or even Lycos Angelfire are where it's at 😆

• @AlexTheRock said:
    Is possible run WP with SQLite. At last you get flat file WP. Fits the backup and high memory issue...

At the cost of worse performance, because SQLite isn't made to scale to anything that requires a lot of queries or activity in general.

• pbxpbx Member

@JeDaYoshi said: At the cost of worse performance, because SQLite isn't made to scale to anything that requires a lot of queries or activity in general.

Unless if you use cache enabler and use nginx to serve static files.

• @niknar1900 said:
    Yahoo Geocities or even Lycos Angelfire are where it's at 😆

damn good ol' days. 😄

• @niknar1900 said:
    Yahoo Geocities or even Lycos Angelfire are where it's at 😆

I just had to look and damn, Angelfire still exists! :astonished:
    https://www.angelfire.lycos.com
    Running strong since 1996! :lol:

• Hexo
    Blogger.com

• WordPress is the hands-down winner for us because of Wordfence and the security protection and updates it provides. Nobody else even comes close.

• I migrated over 300 posts from my WP blog to HTMLy - was rather effortless. Spent the holiday testing
    FlatPress
    Flextype
    ClassicPress
    Bludit

• @vyas11 said:
    I migrated over 300 posts from my WP blog to HTMLy - was rather effortless. Spent the holiday testing
    FlatPress
    Flextype
    ClassicPress
    Bludit

What is your opinion?

• Use Ghost. Super simple to install on your own server, and updating is smooth. The scarcity of themes will help you focus on your content (unlike WP where half your time is spent checking out themes and trying to tweak them). Backing up is easy, as is restoring. Combine with something like Cloudinary.com to host your media and you'll be fine for years and years.

Thanked by 2vyas11 VayVayKa
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2022

@ascicode said:

@vyas11 said:
    I migrated over 300 posts from my WP blog to HTMLy - was rather effortless. Spent the holiday testing
    FlatPress
    Flextype
    ClassicPress
    Bludit

What is your opinion?

Coffee, or tea?
    Decaf??

It’s entirely a matter of personal choice. ClassicPress, Bludit, Htmly offer easy options to import existing Wp content. HTMLY will fuck up categories if you do not add them before importing.

Bludit/HTMLy use fb/ disqus for comment if you have a few of them on wp blog, importing them could be a bear.

If you already have subscription for some WP themes and plugins like I do - ClassicPress would be an option. Most things work out kf the box. But they do not have PHP8 support yet, so you are stuck with PHP7.4 for now.

Most alternative other than Ghost/Grav/Joomla come with their own learning curve. Many are a one man show. Do if developers stop working on the cms, you are stuck.

So there are choices and choices to consider.
    I personally prefer Writing everything in markdown renaming the file and uploading the .md via ssh. Voila! New post published. That limits the playing field

Brand new blog from scratch: I would opt for Bludit or HTMLY.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa