Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything better than wordpress for my personal blog?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anything better than wordpress for my personal blog?

I like WYSIWYG type of blogs/cms - are there any good wordpress alternatives out there?

Ideally the replacement has an easy way to migrate my stuff from WP to it too.

Thanked by 1debian_dave

Comments

• tjntjn Member
    edited November 2021

When you say "good WordPress alternative" what exactly are you looking for that WordPress doesn't already provide?

Having a better idea of what you're looking for, or why you're seeking an alternative will help us better answer you :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ghost blog or htmly (this one is flatfile CMS).

Thanked by 2kkrajk Logano
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

It depends on which plugin you rely on.

If you are prepared to sacrifice some functionalities, there are choices.

Ghost / Grav come to my mind. But those who are too used to WP can't really move to anything else because others have a learning curve as well as far less plugins.

• the convenience of WP (themes, tutorials, plugins, ease of writing your plugins when needed, etc) outweighs all the issues. That made me accept it, after trying several CMSes and having to write some plugins for each of them.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2021

@dopogio said:
    I like WYSIWYG type of blogs/cms - are there any good wordpress alternatives out there?

Ideally the replacement has an easy way to migrate my stuff from WP to it too.

In no particular order:

Bludit
    Dotclear
    HTMLy

Dotclear needs a Db, Bludit and HTMLy do not. All PHP based though, if that is your poison.
    Ghost is a great alternative, or you can go the node way

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

The inconvenience of WordPress (PHP vulnerability, MySQL memory usage, needing to backup, etc) outweighs all the benefits.
    That made me reject it, before trying several static site generators and having to write some themes for each of them.

yoursunny blog is proudly generated by Hexo.

Thanked by 3Arkas tux lanefu
  • For convience, only ghost afaik have same way. Yes you can go markdown-based like hexo or jekyll but its your choice.

• afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said: PHP vulnerability, MySQL memory usage, needing to backup, etc

• You always need to backup, anything and everything.
    • MySQL memory usage, true, but can be tolerated imho.

• PHP vulnerability, The most major challenge, the best way to reduce this risk is to reduce the number of plugins you use to the bare minimum. I have very few plugins, half of them are custom plugins (not public). Ofc it doesn't necessarily mean they have no vulnerabilities, but since the source code is not public, it is a bit harder to find an attack. Also it is worth mentioning, that you can't formally fully proof (on paper, with coq, isabelle, or whatever way you want) the absence of bugs/vulnerabilities in any piece of software. The "side-effect" of WP's fame, is that more malicious people focus on it, but it doesn't mean other CMSes have no vulnerabilities!

• TextPattern

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @tjn said:
    When you say "good WordPress alternative" what exactly are you looking for that WordPress doesn't already provide?

Having a better idea of what you're looking for, or why you're seeking an alternative will help us better answer you :)

Wordpress provides everything, its the 800 lb gorilla and I have been using it for 10+ years now... sometimes you want to change things up and that's why I started asking around.

In terms of requirements, web based admin/composing interface, some themes freely available and perhaps some basic SEO tools is all I really need.

• Gatsby

@afn said:

@yoursunny said: PHP vulnerability, MySQL memory usage, needing to backup, etc

You always need to backup, anything and everything.

By using a static site generator, my content is fully committed to a git repository, which exists on my laptop and Bitbucket.
    This eliminates the need for backups, because I can regenerate the site from the git repository at anytime.
    In fact, this has been exercised once.

MySQL memory usage, true, but can be tolerated imho.

I'd rather save that 256MB so that I can pack even more services on the existing servers and buy fewer servers.

PHP vulnerability, The most major challenge, the best way to reduce this risk is to reduce the number of plugins you use to the bare minimum. I have very few plugins, half of them are custom plugins (not public). Ofc it doesn't necessarily mean they have no vulnerabilities, but since the source code is not public, it is a bit harder to find an attack. Also it is worth mentioning, that you can't formally fully proof (on paper, with coq, isabelle, or whatever way you want) the absence of bugs/vulnerabilities in any piece of software. The "side-effect" of WP's fame, is that more malicious people focus on it, but it doesn't mean other CMSes have no vulnerabilities!

I have no publicly accessible PHP code except those I wrote myself.
    This eliminates vulnerability.

The blog is entirely static HTML.
    PHP is only used for demo certain technologies, such as a method to hide your email address via dynamic pictures.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said: This eliminates the need for backups, because I can regenerate the site from the git repository at anytime.

It doesn't eliminate the need for backup. That is backup in some sense, just automated. One can automate the process of backup for any CMS. It You can't compare static HTML and a dynamic. Your blog has no place for login, has no search functionality and practically has nothing except some bunch of (riche and useful) content as static text and videos. (of course, It's your choice and search can be somehow added with JS, but it is no longer 100% static).

Static is not suitable for everyone's use case. Static is not the answer to everything. I have my own blog in static HTML, but I am not gonna suggest to everyone static HTML just because It works fine for me!

Also, OP asked for WYSIWYG. He asked A, you answered B.

Your logic implies: Let's build LET with static HTML to avoid vulnerabilities in Vanilla.

There are just scenarios where that 256 MB of ram won't matter in exchange of functionalities. (not defending WP particularly, but the logic bugs me.)

p.s: You really think email as picture will protect you? It is OCR readable, annoying for humans to read, and to copy-paste them.

Thanked by 1DreamCaster
  • You could use a WordPress static site generator like WP2Static (https://github.com/leonstafford/wp2static) which would mean that you're still using WordPress to manage the blog, but it'll generate static HTML files for users. It means you don't have to expose PHP code to public users, but can still use WordPress to manage it. This is often called a "headless CMS".

• ArkasArkas Moderator

If you use a Mac, buy RapidWeaver and never look back. It can even auto integrate with WP If you want it too, but there is no need, plus you have everything already backed up on your Mac.

• You can look at Netlify, which combines well with Gatsby for example, mentioned earlier.
    https://www.netlify.com/with/gatsby/

edited November 2021

@afn said:
    Your blog has no place for login, has no search functionality and practically has nothing except some bunch of (riche and useful) content as static text and videos. (of course, It's your choice and search can be somehow added with JS, but it is no longer 100% static).

There's no need for login because there's no comment box.
    I don't have comment box because I don't want to bother with moderation.
    Instead, some articles are cross posted on LET or other forums, and then I include a link to the forum topic.

As for search, Google provides it.
    Most of the readers are finding my articles from Google anyway.

Also, OP asked for WYSIWYG. He asked A, you answered B.

I have WYSIWYG in Visual Studio Code, where I edit the Markdown.

Your logic implies: Let's build LET with static HTML to avoid vulnerabilities in Vanilla.

In 2006, I made a forum with mostly static XML, rendered with XSLT.
    There's a single ASP.Net script that accepts a comment and inserts it into the XML file.

p.s: You really think email as picture will protect you? It is OCR readable, annoying for humans to read, and to copy-paste them.

OCR wasn't popular in 2010, when this article was written.

• I wrote my own blog in sveltekit the other day. It's very basic but it fits my needs. It compiles from markdown.

https://1nf.me/blog

It still needs some work becuase I only spend about an hour on it.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I don't use WP personally simply because it's the most popular blogging script which means it gets the most scripted attacks.

Sure, you can harden it but it's just better to use something less popular and just as good. No need to invite attacks.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa
  • My2c:

For stuff that isn't edited frequently, or drastically (and for which you are certain enough it won't be in the future) - static HTML rules.

For the rest - WordPress is the least bad of all the options. OK - if you can say with certainty that in the foreseeable future you'll only need a certain amount of functionalities, then maybe you could use another CMS, perhaps even a static HTML generating one. Having said that, if your desired functionality requires DB use, and/or PHP to run, I'd recommend WP again instead of another CMS. Alternatives are good if you are happy with just static HTML - that's when they make most sense.

TL/DR: The more content adding/editing you do, the more WP makes sense. And vice-versa for the static HTML.

• Data Life Engine is One of best out there... I think none of mention here can come close to them...

• Ghost.

• Maybe WonderCMS, but works slowly.

• XorXor Member

I know that WordPress is much more popular, and has been for a while, but I found Joomla along with the Gantry framework to be easier to work with.

If you prefer a static blog try Publii to see if it would meet your needs.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @yoursunny is correct that you should use Static Site Generator... but... you can just use Wordpress as SSG... :)

Host Wordpress locally using LocalWP. https://localwp.com/
    Generate static pages using "Simply Static" plugin. https://pl.wordpress.org/plugins/simply-static/
    Use git to upload generated static pages to Cloudflare Pages (100% free "unlimited", 20k files max). https://pages.cloudflare.com/

No databases, no PHP, no hackers.
    Site is hosted on Cloudflare edge servers = lowest TTFB possible
    And all of this for $0 forever, you never need to care about VPS config, updates etc.

• Htmly would be a better option.
    But it comes with less plugins and features.
    You can create good personal blog with it.
    But if you want something like CMS then go for Joomla if not WordPress.

• Another option for headless WP: https://frontity.org/

Might be worth a look :)

Thanked by 1nyamenk
  • Well, GetGrav is more and more praised to replace CMS like WordPress and others. I was looking for alternative too and, even if i know Grav since the beginning, i've never seen all those positives feedbacks regarding it. Maybe take a look on it?

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2022

@Ympker said:
    Another option for headless WP: https://frontity.org/

Might be worth a look :)

You mean Frontity, an Automattic company ?

• Blogger.com