Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[UltraVPS.eu] Black Friday Deals 2021 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[UltraVPS.eu] Black Friday Deals 2021

13»

Comments

• Uh, the read/write times even for NVME-Special-1 in Amsterdam, as in other location are really horrible!> @UltraVPS said:

@frezz said: anyone can show a yabs of NVME-Special-1 in Amsterdam ?

# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-10-09                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Nov 24 14:27:19 UTC 2021

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 21.95 MB/s    (5.4k) | 290.22 MB/s   (4.5k)
    Write      | 21.97 MB/s    (5.4k) | 291.75 MB/s   (4.5k)
    Total      | 43.93 MB/s   (10.9k) | 581.97 MB/s   (9.0k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 360.61 MB/s    (704) | 314.22 MB/s    (306)
    Write      | 379.77 MB/s    (741) | 335.15 MB/s    (327)
    Total      | 740.38 MB/s   (1.4k) | 649.37 MB/s    (633)

Uh, the read/write times in the above benchmarks, even for NVME-Special-1 in Amsterdam, as in other location are really low! These ones must be old NVMes.

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@MrWonder said: These ones must be old NVMes.

We use the latest generation of enterprise-grade NVME SSDs. But please keep in mind that this is not a dedicated server, it is a virtual one. That means the performance of the storage system is shared between a few dozen VMs. While some hosts might optimize their nodes to achieve as much IOPS as possible in benchmark tests, we focus on consistent performance and try minimize the effects of noisy neighbors.

• @UltraVPS said:

@MrWonder said: These ones must be old NVMes.

We use the latest generation of enterprise-grade NVME SSDs. But please keep in mind that this is not a dedicated server, it is a virtual one. That means the performance of the storage system is shared between a few dozen VMs. While some hosts might optimize their nodes to achieve as much IOPS as possible in benchmark tests, we focus on a consistent performance and try minimize the effects of noisy neighbors.

I respectfully disagree. Please do not misunderstand me for this discussion. I am an interested party and not a provider, to say upfront, who is looking for some proper read/write times for a long term use of the VPS.

At the time I saw your post, I was just reading the read/write times of the new generation of NVMe here:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/175388/alphavps-this-black-friday-is-going-to-be-amazing-ryzen-inside-intel-deals-from-9-99eur-yr/p4

These are the read/write timings that are real and acceptable, while it may be true what you have just said (host optimizes...).

Now, the read/write time @64k of 7.26 GB/s ist beyond expectation. Users confirmed that got this times and are satisfied.

But the timings, while having many VPSes on a system, of something like @64k of 1 GB/s is perfectly fine and shall give excellent performance when using firewall and SQL Databases (which requires many read write operations).

The read/write timings of offer proposed by you are good but are comparable with normal SSD ones as the fast NVMe ones are (or has to be) mush faster, if they were new enterprise grade ones.

Thanked by 1fixxation
  • @MrWonder instead giving all resources to every customer/VPS on server to "fight" they limit each. Things a bit clear now ?

Leaseweb is doing same and I had 0 glitches with Leaseweb in 4 years. Similar is with this provider (while I had services in past..) ?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @amarc said:
    instead giving all resources to every customer/VPS on server to "fight" they limit each. Things a bit clear now ?

Hi,
    Thanks for your observation. May I please ask you to elaborate the above. How could they limit the read and write times of NMVe? Is this possible? If yes, should they not declare the specs, what they offer?

• @MrWonder said: The read/write timings of offer proposed by you are good but are comparable with normal SSD ones as the fast NVMe ones are (or has to be) mush faster, if they were new enterprise grade ones.

you don't get direct access to the NVMe anyway, as @UltraVPS uses all storage in a ZFS setup that (I believe) is rather network attached. as already pointed out, they focus on balance and numbers you can achieve at any time constantly.

yes, the number might not differ much between SSD and NVMe nodes at all. still using fresh enterprise NVMe will be benificial for users and provider in the long run, as it helps to keep things stable.

if you want true NVMe performance you should go baremetal or look at the other providers you mentioned. maybe this is offer here is just not for you ;-)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Merlincool said:
    Storage-Special-1 is same as old price. I don't see something interesting. Most deals are same with pricing from 2018.

Well, if the pricing is from 2018, is not bad.
    AlphaVPS price are hiked and apparently no one noticed.

But people complain that they charge the same pricing as 2018.

• @amarc @Falzo
    I am so thankful to both of you for your valuable piece of advice. I just did not know that one could control read/write timings in this manner. Uh, well I am a simple VPS user.

But that reminds me of a pathetic story that I will share with you (though off topic) to explain why I see this first. I accepted one offer in Chinese New Year for VPS. Then it was too slow with everything. It had 20-30 MB/s read time. I complained as even the VNC showed a lag. They change the VPS to a different one. Then I got 50-60 MB/s. Finally, I changed the provider. Now I have 1-1.5 GB/s for the same data blocks (64K). With this nasty experience, I check it first.

But after amarc explained (Thanks to amarc), I know this was not a limitation of SSD being old but the conscious restriction they had imposed. This damn people simply put me in a different QEMU group after the complain and gave me a little bit more I/O. How ridiculous. Now, I hate them much more.

• @MrWonder said:

no worries, as said it's a choice you have. as a provider as well as a client ;-)

• EmrysEmrys Member
    edited November 2021

I bought a Storage-Special-1 Deal, with 750 GB HDD. I already have had another Storage VPS (The same kind) with them for the last 3 years (also purchased during the Black Friday Deals). The only time I had an issue was when my Server got hacked, and someone was using mining software on it. After I had learned my lesson and taken some basic steps to secure the account, I have found the servers to be very reliable. They are very reliable and supportive Service Providers with fair usage policies, with almost no downtimes.

Please keep up the good work.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@UltraVPS

How does one log in to your billing / account portal???

• @alento said: How does one log in to your billing / account portal???

https://my.providerdienste.de/

One hell of a necropost, almost a year.

Thanked by 1alento
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@luckypenguin said:

@alento said: How does one log in to your billing / account portal???

https://my.providerdienste.de/

One hell of a necropost, almost a year.

Sorry about that ... but it worked! Thank you so much!