Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sad days for seedboxes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sad days for seedboxes

2»

Comments

• @Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: I don't know why these people would seed on limited monthly data limits. Pirates surprise me.

Most people around the world have monthly data limits on their home connections, and the limits are usually far smaller than what's available on VPSes or dedicated servers, and yet those people still seed.

Yeah, not for me >:) B)

Just upgraded to gigabit down and 120Mbps up, with no data caps, so I'm on a VPS cancelling spree.

Socks5 works fine for the leechers. Had 100MB/s (bytes, not bits!) last night using PIA socks5. The VPN unlimited (free) socks5 proxy has been shit all week. Historically, VPN Unlimited socks was faster than PIA for me over longer periods.

Ironically, I only average 250Mbps between two locally connected servers using SSH over NFS. The Facebook tool for faster transfers never worked due to some IPv6 hostname bug.

• @hostnoob said:

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:

@TimboJones said: Is socks5 proxy the same? Because some upload ratio begs to differ.

The proxy is for outbound connections... How are people are going to connect inbound?

I've outed myself as a leech. Sending to others works as long as you're still downloading. I'm the greedy bastard that gets mine and gets out.

I don't know why these people would seed on limited monthly data limits. Pirates surprise me.

sharing is caring

Share with me your wallet.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@default said: @PulsedMedia are (or were) you affected by something like this? What is your opinion?

Nope. We adhere to Finnish laws.

We also like to avoid risks, and not abuse stuff, that's how we also avoided now about a decade(??) ago the big OVH seedbox exodus when they cracked down on seedboxes due to huge bandwidth consumption. That was long before we had our own DC:)

Let's remember few years back Feral had their billing server seized as part of what.cd raid.... On top of that they did not even keep backups and it took them what an year to get billing back up?

So maybe this provider infact engaged themselves in something as well. I have no idea of the case, but i would assume the guys running the company were themselves engaged in something -- hence the case.

@Smith42 said: Well this seems targeted towards walkerservers and seedbox.io specifically from the looks of it. The owner was reached out in March 2021, and from the looks of it he probably blew them off at first. Also I seen their ads on one of these private trackers (non-danish) for 5% discount for the members and all, my hunch is they had similar ads on some of those danish private trackers and got caught in the crossfire when those sites were served with lawsuits.

I've never seen a seedbox provider be under legal pressure like this, because the provider is not forcing you to pirate, the users are. There are multiple seedbox providers (shared and dedicated) in Europe and some even in North America that have been operating for almost a decade without legal issues.

But the owner of walkerservers always use to boast about not having to worry about DMCA on his NL servers on his chat channel, and I called it last year that this guy is going to get in trouble with BREIN or someone similar because his company is neck deep into piracy. My experience as a customer was terrible there, but still good luck to them/him with litigation.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds to me almost like they were asking for it; Based on that description.

@sunnyg said: PulsedMedia and other seedbox providers are fine because seedbox reselling is not illegal. Running a seedbox is not illegal. Downloading copyright content is illegal but even that just doesn't escalate straight to a criminal complaint or a lawsuit.

It's not reselling if you own the hardware ;)

Regardless, every individual is responsible for their own actions. Some countries sharing copyrighted material is actually legal :O Here in Finland making backups, and receiving copyrighted material is legal, but not distribution. Hence every writable once media has "copyright tax" on them here. Some countries you cannot even make backups etc. The laws are as varied as how many countries there is.

Just my 2cents on the subject.

Thanked by 1steny