Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS resellers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS resellers?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@prometeus very valid point, I guess thinking about it with hind sight there are a few companies I have seen going for a dip in the local pool of death that seem to have build their entire business model around getting customers from LEB... that's just never going to work.

LET is a great community and LEB is a great site but from a sales perspective LEB is more of a brand awareness and marketing tool than a driver behind profit in my eyes and a little more too I guess with some fairly blunt and advanced users it is a great place to get a consumer perspective from and make evidence based change to improve your overall business model/ethic.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@TheLinuxBug said: People who are "just testing VPS" may not care, but people who are actually looking for servers to host things on, do not want to chance everything coming to an end next month because the young adult didn't get his allowance on time and missed payment on the server.

I agree, but, you see, if someone decides to host business on LEB might not be in their right mind.
    I mean, there are so many offers from established companies with DC and years of experience at similar prices, if you want to save a dollar, the business is not serious or is not business.
    If I have a business that provides some revenue (and I think that means at least 1000 profit per year), then I wont be hosting on 1.5 $/m LEB unless is a company that is in business for a few years already and has good reviews (not that it is a guarantee, but the risks are much lower).
    If they come here to look for business-grade host, there is all the needed info, if they want to see the lowest price, it is also all the needed info, as well as the lowest price from the business-grade hosts.
    Stopping the hosts from making offers (no matter under which criteria) will not protect the ppl that cant read or google, those dont have to be protected, the faster they fail, the better for them and society.
    It is certainly not worth the risk to screen out a potential good host just because it might fail/be a scam and ppl will go bankrupt because they lose data with them. Important data shouldnt be there in the first place, and backups made at least daily.
    M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DotVPS said: I have to admit my LEB offer was stupid. To much Disk space was offered. If i was allowed to do another it wouldn't be that much.

Drives are a cheap enough upgrade thankfully :) RAM is usually much more expensive since it can usually force you to do a chassis swap.

And I agree with @AnthonySmith for sure, given the horror stories I hear day in/day out about hetzner/OVH, I wouldn't even dare touch them.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: RAM is usually much more expensive since it can usually force you to do a chassis swap.

Wut? You have to be talking about more than a simple ram swap here

• flyfly Member

yeah i thought it was the other way around...? isn't ram like dirt cheap now?

edited March 2012

@miTgiB said: Wut? You have to be talking about more than a simple ram swap here

@kbar said: yeah i thought it was the other way around...? isn't ram like dirt cheap now?

DotVPS isn't colocating I don't think. Lets say he's using Q6600 (pretty sure he isn't), but wanted to get more than 8GB. Yes, you can get 4G sticks but they're hellishly costly and the host will likely just try to get you to move into a whole different box/price/etc.

Drives you can drop a 2 - 3TB drive in a Q6600 w/o issue. You can't drop 32G into it, however :)

RAM's cheap and drives are getting a lot more reasonable.

Francisco

@DotVPS said: Not with some Providers

Oh? :( I figured the going rate was $25/m/drive for 2TB's. How much are you getting charged for 'em?

I know back when I did rented boxes for my personal projects drives were pretty cheap, in the $25/m range or so for the 'bigger' ones (400G or so)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: no ones doing LEB's outta there with just a /28 or /27

We do... with a /27, not /28.

• @DotVPS said: Well urm... Ecatel don't give IP's in that method they say: How many you want? you say x , they say to many pick less!

Very scientific method.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@Francisco I'm interested in some horror storries about OVH and Hetzner, could you tell us some? :)

I always thought, that Hetzner isn't as hard as OVH is with abuse notices. On another board, there were someone who had some servers with ovh, receiving about 10 abuse notices per week and he hadn't any problems.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@DotVPS: Also good. Can you explain those two stories a bit more detailed, please. Was this only after a few abuse notices or have the customers made more shit?

• AmfyAmfy Member

@DotVPS okay, that's really shity. But then you can't host anything freedom of speech related :/

Hm, it's strange because, OVH is one of the hosters who have a court order to be allowed to host wikileaks

• AmfyAmfy Member

@DotVPS: Mh, but on this statement I would understand OVH. This is kind of stuff, what you better do in countries like Netherlands, Sweden, Ukraine, Russia, Asia, etc

Hetzner has a really interesting DDOS policy that if you get flooded you have to:

• Explain what the problem was
    • Explain what you did to address it
    • Write an essay about how sorry you are (pretty well)

Hetzner actually suspended and made the owner of NordicVPS sign a contract over a spam complaint they got over one of his clients. They kept his box down for like 4 - 5 days over it, it was brutal.

At OVH if you get a hacking/abuse complaint that they frown upon, it usually requires a complete format and reinstall. There has been a few providers around the LEB market that have had this happen to.

I had some kimsufi's for my IRC network in the past that were good. In the end they simply didn't allow us to renew them since I'm canadian.

Thanked by 1Amfy

@Francisco that has got to be annoying, if you want any Kimsufi's in the future give me a shout I will put them through Inception and resell them on to you at cost.

Ant.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • AFAIK, Americans and Canadians can now get Kimsufi/OVH servers via ovh.ie.
    Must be some tax reason, to be completely honest.

@ElliotJ said: Must be some tax reason, to be completely honest.

I think the French are still pissed over Quebec.

:3

Francisco

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

I'll never touch OVH again ever if they became the only provider in the earth. It was september/october of 2006 and I donated one kimsufi server to two not profit association (care of terminally ill cancer) the server was paid for three months charging my personal credit card. Then, in january of 2007, after I paid for further 3 months, I received a communication that the server was to be terminated in three days. I discovered it was because my country (Italy) was considered too risky (but they did get my money two times) and I had to migrate in three days. OVH never replied to my emails, so I asked for Oles on the forum, the guy told me he only speaked French... What a joke!

http://forum.kimsufi.com/archive/index.php/t-1121.html

For me Oles and OVH are a big NO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said: drives are getting a lot more reasonable.

Hum, I dont see it yet. Maybe there is a lag in here as ppl try to sell first their stock of pricey drives.
    But, if you are right, it was about time !
    M

• @Maounique said: Hum, I dont see it yet.

The prices have not come down much, but what I am seeing is you can now actually buy drives as there is inventory to sell.

• I don't really think that you shouldn't be allowed to have VPS providers from OVH/Kimsufi , Hetzner or even Leaseweb it all goes down to the person that is managing this nodes.

I've had before VPS's at OVH with 180 days of uptime running on core i5 and it was one of my best VPS's ever.

I also really like Leaseweb they are one of my favorite providers, they have an awesome network where i can't really say the same about OVH.

--

@Francisco

It is normal that Hetzner does that every DDoS attack, every complain they have to deal with its money lost for them they don't want to risk anything on 'kids' like this that was running NordicVPS they have allot of customers losing one isn't really going to hurt them, i can also think of another bunch of company's in germany that offer prices really similar to Hetzner, like klein-edv.

• What does OVH stand for?

• AmfyAmfy Member

And they have the most cheapest traffic... ~1€ / TB

@Bernardoo said: I don't really think that you shouldn't be allowed to have VPS providers from OVH/Kimsufi , Hetzner or even Leaseweb it all goes down to the person that is managing this nodes.

I guess.

The boxes we had were stable but all they were running was IRC.

Framcisco

Well back on topic anyway: Just finished setting up the reseller program over here :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@DotVPS said: could of

Damn you! It's could've :P

@DotVPS Yes indeed I 'could have' | 'could've http://inceptionhosting.com/resellers/ :)

edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: Stop ganging up on me :(

Haha, I should include that in my essay/controlled assessment on the Deterioration of the English Language in Teengagers, but I need to cite all evidence :P MWUHAHAHAHA..

Next thing you know AQA will be viewing this thread.

@DotVPS said: Aren't they a Maths Exam board? O_o

You serious? You don't seem like you care about your GCSE's, they're an exam board just like Edexcel, OCR, WJEC.. They do all subjects.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@DotVPS said: Well urm... Ecatel don't give IP's in that method they say: How many you want? you say x , they say to many pick less!

Actually, they have been very helpful to me in the past, I had many, many IPs for a lot of vps nodes - and they never said anything. They just asked what they will be used for, and the amount of IPs that I required.