Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS resellers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS resellers?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2012 in Providers

I am looking for a VPS reseller program, enough to say, offer a couple 128/192 RAM, 10GB HDD, 100GB bandwidth VPSes. My budget is around $25 a month, seems low, but hey, anything's possible. Any offers?

Comments

• @DotVPS - Only a few, say, 3-6 IPs.

• @DotVPS: Sounds good! Could I shave off a few things though? I just realized my budget is really $20 right now but could pay the $5 by this week, but I would like it to be up soon.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@DepotVPS_Shane

I think, ~1 - 1,5GB of RAM is more than enough, also 40-50gb of disk

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

depot you just changed name! Check your inbox :)

• @DotVPS - US. Where in the US? Just wondering, I still would like it in the US.

• @DotVPS said: Scranton PA.

-plays 'The Office' theme music-

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • Check out VPS6.net's reseller program too. A few good options there.

• 2 words, Dunder Mifflin.

• @DotVPS; You've got to be a fan of the show to understand, LOL.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@DotVPS said: Oh it's a show.

Google not working on your end? :P

• As a start, try using a Kimsufi server, those 16GB servers
    Don't cost alot, and if your company fails, you don't lose that much money

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just sorting out the final bits of the Inception Hosting white label reseller plans, should be up within 24 hours (ish) although nothing at $25 right now, I have lost count of how many people have asked about reselling so I got my finger out tonight so to speak! :)

Kimsufi are single disk servers, that's just plain scary for a customer facing VPS node :s

Thanked by 1dearroy
    edited March 2012

hmm, sounds messy, even with OVH your still restricted to 2 disks on any viable VPS node package.

To paraphrase a great man of comedy.. "I would rather defecate in my own hands and clap" than use OVH or Kimsufi for VPS nodes

@DotVPS I stand by my statement :) I would also like to throw Hetzner in to the same category :)

edited March 2012

haha, no just those 2 that make me cringe when I see hosts using them, don't get me wrong they are great at what they do but my personal opinion is that you cant offer a 'quality' service when using a provider that takes a 'wholesale' approach to this market.

edit: I have had servers with both of them and still have with 1 of them but them but only for R&D/testing, when things have gone wrong it has taken well over 24 hours to get any root cause analysis done which is not good enough for someone who also has their own reputation to uphold :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2012

Um, I kinda agree with @AnthonySmith, except I would wear gloves. In fact to me, anytime I see OVH, Hetzner, Leaseweb, or Burstnet I immediatly pass. This is for a few reasons:

1. Their servers are very cheap, if your going to use their network(s) you might as well buy your own dedicated (Kimsufi) for 25$ and get your own ips and own resources.

2. They are a dime a dozen, and since they are so cheap, how do I know you will renew your rental agreement next month? (Pump and Dump comes to mind)

3. 90% of their business is leasing servers, therefore the chance of the person making the offer actually owning their servers and having direct access to them is SLIM. (Which can be an issue if you have your hardware crash, you going to pay the $$ it costs to have an SLA that covers any type of quick replacement? Doubt it!)

4. Much like the op of this thread did, too many people see a cheap server and think they might have what it takes to run a vps "business". This includes young adults who are just curious about VPS and decide to spend their allowance on a cheap server. I am not saying that young adults are not smart enough or do not have what it takes to run a business, but if you are serious, save your money and invest in your own hardware and infrastructure and make a real go of it.

5. If your bottom line in this is cost and you have to cheap out and rent a server, especially do not do it where everyone and their mom has a server, who needs another VPS on OVH (Hetzner, Leaseweb, Joes DC, Volume Drive, Burstnet, Wholesale internet)? There is like 1000 other people already reselling their bandwidth and servers, whats going to make you better at it than an actual registered company that has been around a while with a positive track record? Because you think you can sell yours for 2$ and make a profit, after what we have seen here on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk you should already know that is not likely to happen.

6. If you are not a registered business (and maybe even if you are, but much less likely) how do I know your intent is not to rent a server to run your warez site on and sell a few vps off the same machine? What happens when you get caught and the server magically goes offline and you screw all your customers? How do I know you have any type of redundancy or back-up in place, especially if all you rent is one server in that location?

I am sure I will get flamed for some reason, but these are my opinions and my 2cents. If you are serious about being in this business take the time to do the research and do it the right way, with your own servers and preferably your own network, ASN and IP block. I do understand that some people just want to do it to learn about the technology and the business, but in that case, just use your allowance and find a few people who are willing to donate you a few dollars to share your server with you, instead of trying to make it a business.

Cheers!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said: I am sure I will get flamed for some reason, but these are my opinions and my 2cents

I agree with all of the points minus leaseweb, no ones doing LEB's outta there with just a /28 or /27, or am I crazy o_O

I'd almost wish for a rule blocking new OVH listings just because of the whole 'first month free' rule on it.

Francisco

• @Francisco You may be right, but when I think of hosts in that genre that have been around for a while, Leaseweb still comes to mind. They might not be the ideal place for VPS, but I do see quite a bit of their servers around for other uses. Even without Leaseweb in that list, the point is still valid :)

@TheLinuxBug said: Even without Leaseweb in that list, the point is still valid :)

Very much so :) As I said, I agree with everything written there.

Francisco

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2012

@Francisco I wasn't going to say anything, but the Pony scares me ;x LOL (/joke)

Cheers mate!

I think that this place should give everyone a chance and what I've seen is that the people here like hunting the scammers and take some risks, so why impose such rules?

• @prometeus because of the large amount of pump and dumps that have come out of OVH and the like and the fact that anyone, even your customers, can afford to purchase a server with OVH (or Kimsufi) and try to sell vpss on a server that is purchased on a month to month lease which leave the end user (customer) with no guarantee that the server will even be existent in a few months time. Even worse, people who have purchased these servers offer "Yearly" accounts, knowing they probably wont make it that long. You might argue, "Well then they will give you a refund if they go under", but who wants to be told a month after they purchase a service for a year that they have to go searching again?

I have to side with @Francisco on this one. People who decide to make OVH offers should have to have been in business for at least a year and have more than 1 server. Find some way to show your clients your going to be around for the duration and this isn't just some "play toy" to them. People who are "just testing VPS" may not care, but people who are actually looking for servers to host things on, do not want to chance everything coming to an end next month because the young adult didn't get his allowance on time and missed payment on the server. (Or whatever the reason is)

@prometeus said: I've seen is that the people here like hunting the scammers and take some risks, so why impose such rules?

Yep, for sure. There's some seriously skilled people on these forums that seem to be able to track down really obscure listings and find something interesting.

There was a pretty interesting discussion during the ownership move that went over the idea of 'should LEB start being a lot stricter on likely sketchy offerings'. The end result, I think, was 'I dont know'

Francisco

• I've had good experience with BurstNET's reseller program.

Indeed some interesting points raised during the handover, I think there was a middle ground though, some simple flags/icons per offer such as:

In business more than 1 year:
    colo/owned/rented equipment:
    price per MB exceeds avg deadpool offer:

etc etc and allow people to make informed decisions.

But this should apply to every joung business (and I think are young even company with two or three years of history) that don't have own equipment, ip, etc.
    How much pple here lease servers month by month? "Expand " the business everywhere in the world renting one server here and there, etc. Does all this need give any guarantee for yearly prepaiment? I think not.

edited March 2012

@prometeus said: Does all this need give any guarantee for yearly prepaiment? I think not.

You know, when I see a company that rents have 5 different locations, it actually gives me the idea that they're trying to protect against billing outages. Then again, I usually think worst case with those kinda things.

Case in point, uptimevps had OVH, Leaseweb (no one actually got service here but paid for it), hetzner, volumedrive, direct burstnet and I think some company in Seattle.

Francisco

edited March 2012

I suppose the bottom line is it depends on the person pulling the strings, personally I could not sleep at night with servers in OVH or Hetzner I honestly do care about each and every VPS hosted with Inception Hosting, I would and have literally gone red in the face when/if a node goes down.(rare)

It can be done with rented equipment it just depends on the ethic of the person behind the company name I suppose and that's the risk people take, Inception have a hybrid colo agreement in the Netherlands and lease equipment in the USA while I understand some people may see this as a risk it works well for someone who actually cares and makes a SERIOUS effort to research who they are dealing with before offering live service to end users.

Edit: but either way trying to build a company with any longevity while renting dedi's month to month is not a viable business plan IMO.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • I agree with what's been said above, except about Leaseweb. I've had dedicateds there (not for VPSes), and it was a good experience, definitely not a host for VPS pump and dumping.

I wouldn't buy a VPS from someone hosting in Hetzner/OVH, I just don't trust it. Same with VPSes out of datashack and volumedrive.

I belive that the most frequent reason to be in the deadpool here is not running but simply business failure (bad planning, not enough money, need to became rich quick, etc) and this is inevitable in a niche market like this with tight margins. That said it's in the nature of the business to fail, even with high resources at hand... Eventually the most important thing is that you (client and failed provider) learnfrom errors so that you make better choice next time.