Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FCC Kicks China Telecom Out of the US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FCC Kicks China Telecom Out of the US

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited October 2021 in General

https://lowendbox.com/blog/fcc-revokes-operating-china-telecoms-license-to-operate-in-u-s/

FCC Press Release: https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-revokes-china-telecom-americas-telecom-services-authority

"China Telecom Americas, a U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned enterprise, is subject to exploitation, influence, and control by the Chinese government and is highly likely to be forced to comply with Chinese government requests without sufficient legal procedures subject to independent judicial oversight."

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Press release link doesn’t work.

It’s interesting. What does it mean in practicality? They have to cease peering too? How will this affect connectivity between CN and US and the region?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

Sorry, I was momentarily idiotic. Fixed.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    How will this affect connectivity between CN and US and the region?

It might be limited to maritime flag signaling between both parties somewhere around Taiwan.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

It’s interesting. What does it mean in practicality? They have to cease peering too? How will this affect connectivity between CN and US and the region?

This is what I am wondering, CN2 for example is a popular option out of LA. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• China's pissy and butthurt response will be interesting.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2021

We had two major presidential candidates in the end and the one most friendly to China took the title, so this is a bit unexpected.

Thanked by 2cybertech dahartigan
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

@jar said: We had two major presidential candidates in the end and the one most friendly to China took the title, so this is a bit unexpected.

3 out of 4 FCC commissioners were appointed by Trump, though the interim chairwoman was appointed by Obama and one of the others is a Dem as well.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @speedypage said:

@Clouvider said:

This is what I am wondering, CN2 for example is a popular option out of LA. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

:'( huge invest there

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: 3 out of 4 FCC commissioners were appointed by Trump, though the interim chairwoman was appointed by Obama and one of the others is a Dem as well.

Weren't the dems also on board? I seem to recall that last year that at least 1 of them was fully onboard with yeeting them.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I suspect a few LA providers will have a declining costumer base after this will go into affect maybe even we are going to see a few deadpools around LA providers.

Thanked by 1BlaZe

@layerhost Don't yall have them in your mix?
    Is China telecom telling you anything?

@Francisco said: Weren't the dems also on board? I seem to recall that last year that at least 1 of them was fully onboard with yeeting them.

The vote was 4-0.

Thanked by 2Francisco jar
    edited October 2021

@raindog308 said:

@Francisco said: Weren't the dems also on board? I seem to recall that last year that at least 1 of them was fully onboard with yeeting them.

The vote was 4-0.

That's quite a small panel considering its GOV.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    I suspect a few LA providers will have a declining costumer base after this will go into affect maybe even we are going to see a few deadpools around LA providers.

Oh I definitely see some DC's going under if this sticks.

@raindog308 said: The vote was 4-0.

So short of the new FCC person changing it (can they if it's unanimous?) , this is huge.

They're going after CU next.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@DataIdeas-Josh said: That's quite a small panel considering its GOV.

The FCC is normally 5 - there's a vacancy.

Not atypical for administrative bodies.

@Francisco said: So short of the new FCC person changing it (can they if it's unanimous?) ,

Sure. And congress can always pass laws overruling it. And it can be appealed through the court system.

But I'm skeptical it'll be changed anytime soon.

• Does this suddenly mean that all CT traffic must be routed through a different country before reaching the US?

Is Vancouver suddenly going to be a major IX hotspot now :^)

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

China Mobile currently offers peering in the US and they don't have a license to operate so hopefully that means China Telecom peering is safe.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/fcc-votes-terminate-china-telecom-americans-authority-provide-us-services-2021-10-26/

In May 2019, the FCC voted unanimously to deny another state-owned Chinese telecommunications company, China Mobile (0941.HK), the right to provide U.S. services.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I am not so sure that this will affect their transit operations.

Maybe I am wrong, but this seems to deal with their (unknown to most Americans) presence as a mobile service provider in the US.

So this seems to be just the typical political play without much real world impact.

• @Nyr said:

Maybe I am wrong, but this seems to deal with their (unknown to most Americans) presence as a mobile service provider in the US.

So this seems to be just the typical political play without much real world impact.

This would make sense but given the previous (trump era) press releases, it seems as if they were originally targeting their network operations as a whole. Either way the press release doesn't really make it clear.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Nyr said:

It looks like it's their license to do business in the US at all, and most of that business is transit - the mobile portion is quite tiny.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/10/fcc-kicks-china-telecom-americas-out-of-us-cites-chinese-government-control/

• @Nyr said:

little impact on real world
    and big impact for mobile service provider

.?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said: We had two major presidential candidates in the end and the one most friendly to China took the title, so this is a bit unexpected.

Not hating china and not making it a scapegoat is not friendly. China is a powerful and militarized society, adversary to the US, but blind hate will not solve anything, distrust, preparation for the next aggressive move, cutting out the revenue, yes. Just be prepared, the war will come, there will be plenty of hate then.

Thanked by 2jar bulbasaur
  • in china is much more haters, it's support by government propaganda ... see globaltimes.cn
    cold war against the world... is going on china
    always on conflict ... so what...

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

This is big if it affect peering

I see CN partially own 2 Submarine Cables to LA not sure how this decision will affect them

@pedagang said: globaltimes.cn

Wow...when you're so insecure as a nation that you have to call out another country's comedy programs with a tirade about how deceptive it is because they discuss Taiwan.

• Oh no, hope it won't affect my VPS.