Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Apple 14/16" MBPs (M1 PRO and MAX)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Apple 14/16" MBPs (M1 PRO and MAX)

What are your first impressions (Macs presentation starts in 14 minute)?

pros for me:

• 32GB and 64GB options,
  • doubled CPU core/perf,
  • MiniLED XDR screens,
  • magsafe charging.

cons for me:

• screen notch in laptop,
  • not so sexy/thin body,
  • stil two fans???,
  • 140W power brick :O

Comments

• Ugly notch on laptop

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep

120HZ display, but huge notch.
    Idk man, I think i'm ok with my current one

• jhjh Member

The notch is becoming a symbol of Apple. Not a good look. Apple Notch(tm).

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

Getting the 16 core Pro (maybe not the max) 32 Gig. Local rates are a killer (2,250 US dollars for base model) but I can use tax setoff. Caveat: will have to Buy in the next financial year though because of depreciation rules.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Andrews said: not so sexy

This ad is prob the "sexist" so far they've ever released! Lol

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Will be great to get some real world reviews on it. It's got a solid fan base of M1. I have to agree tho that this whole notch thing is getting annoying ...

• Missing touch bar on new macs, it kinda looked cool. Will have to see how it performs.
    Till then happy with my MBP 2018 😁

• Who even use Apple hardware? They ugly and huge overpriced.

Thanked by 3webcraft rm_ afn
  • For me, they got everything I loved + more. But kinda bleh on the notch. However, I'm pretty sure this will probably blend in same as my phones notch.

• @jenkki said:
    Who even use Apple hardware? They ugly and huge overpriced.

If you compare the prices vs high end workstations the price difference are not even that great. The only issue there is *** load of low end laptops that get compared with an High end priced apple...

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited October 2021

Happy m1 user here, my m1 is good enough for the next 5years I guess :)

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Damn, they made it too good. I've been avoiding them for quiet a few years as I believe the company has become full of itself. But this is too tempting, I hope I can stop myself.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@elliotc said:
    Happy m1 user here, my m1 is good enough for the next 5years I guess :)

Same here. The M1 has been great.

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • Laptop with a notch just why?can you not make smaller cameras?

• Using macOS for about one year, plan to switch back to Ubuntu. I feel more comfortable with the Linux environment, So I don't pay attention to the release. But I still hope one day some manufactory can build a perfect Linux laptop with a powerful CPU like M1 chip.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@einverne said:
    Using macOS for about one year, plan to switch back to Ubuntu. I feel more comfortable with the Linux environment, So I don't pay attention to the release. But I still hope one day some manufactory can build a perfect Linux laptop with a powerful CPU like M1 chip.

I believe some experiments under way for running Debian on M1 MBPs.

Edit:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-m1-debian-linux

In the meantime
    Hardware on the Intel Macs gets detected much better now most Distro. Wifi adapter being exception (broadcom). But I swapped Big Sur for KDE Neon on my Intel MBP. NVME instead of stock SsD (using the adapter, some speed penalty but greater storage).

Likewise for a late 2012 MBP. ZorinOS on a SATA M.2 as good as a new machine. (the user wanted a “Window” ish experience)

———-

On the notch issue: nice marketing ploy. Lots of folks talking about it ! Share of voice in online channels = more curiosity

Thanked by 1einverne
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited October 2021

I still can't get a use case for these laptops. So many limitations and massively overpriced app store. I'll stay at open source stuff and use Windows for work and gaming.

• @webcraft said:
    I still can't get a use case for these laptops. So many limitations and massively overpriced app store. I'll stay at open source stuff and use Windows for work and gaming.

use cases?

pro content creators who need great performance (4K, 8K, HDR...) and/or quality screen

AI/ML software developers (generally they are/will be great for writing that open source software which you would like to use)

games will come later, as now these machines will have finally great GPU performance

• Simple headphones for $249 I just wondering if their real cost being around $10. That why they becomes a richest tech company in the World.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Andrews said:

@webcraft said:

AI/ML software developers (generally they are/will be great for writing that open source software which you would like to use)

I use cloud computing for it. Would never run such resource intensive work locally, especially not on a laptop.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I don't want Apple hardware and most certainly will not use an Apple OS, so I wish they would sell these chips on the side, for someone to make regular PC ATX motherboards based on those, where you could install GNU/Linux or any other supporting OS of your choice.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Dream on, @_rm. Apple would rather watch Earth be destroyed than do that.

Thanked by 2afn vimalware
    edited October 2021

@deank said: Dream on, @_rm. Apple would rather watch Earth be destroyed than do that.

On one hand you're right, but on the other, they could ask Intel and AMD if there are margins to be had in being a CPU vendor (especially Intel).

I guess right now it is complicated by the supply issues, but if that gets sorted out, surely they could ramp up the production of these to make way more than they could ever sell Macs.

Either that, or someone will catch up and make a comparable ARM SoC (nVidia?), and it won't be as special and sought-after anymore.

• @rm_ said:

@deank said: Dream on, @_rm. Apple would rather watch Earth be destroyed than do that.

On one hand you're right, but on the other, they could ask Intel and AMD if there are margins to be had in being a CPU vendor (especially Intel).

first, why would they sell CPUs alone (be a CPU vendor), when they intend to sell whole computers (higher margin product) locked down to their ecosystem (where Apple gets 30% of every app/service purchase)???

second, these Apple Silicon 5nm+ SoCs have such huge advantage (in performance and power efficiency) over Intel 10nm+++++++++ CPUs than there are no reasons for them to talk with Intel other than simple $2.4 ICs for Thunderbolt controller licensed by Intel

it is like expecting that AWS would like to talk with cociu about buying his fallen "brand" and customers base :D

@Andrews said: when they intend to sell whole computers (higher margin product)

I believe it might be debatable what is a higher margin product, Apple computers, or high-end Intel CPUs (especially a few years ago when AMD was lagging behind a lot).

• @einverne said: Using macOS for about one year, plan to switch back to Ubuntu. I feel more comfortable with the Linux environment, So I don't pay attention to the release. But I still hope one day some manufactory can build a perfect Linux laptop with a powerful CPU like M1 chip.

Here are articles:

• Apple's chip engineering team is years ahead of pretty much every other mobile chip manufacturer on the planet, and will be for a while. Apple's implementation of fast hardware accelerated x86 emulation on ARM seems to be completely unparalleled in the mobile chip space.

ARM windows was a huge failure because the windows ecosystem simply isn't designed to pivot so quickly. My bets on at least 5 years before M$ can ship a version of Windows thats as functional as MacOS is right now on ARM.

ARM Linux is still a possibility for us non-Apple nerds, but as of this moment the lack of availability of high performance consumer grade ARM based CPUs makes this very difficult to do. It's unlikely any mobile chip maker will actually try to compete with the M1 because there's no reason to. No other mainstream laptop/desktop OS exists that runs on ARM.

Maybe one day, but right now the only feasible ARM based laptop is unfortunately made by Apple.

• @rm_ said:

I guess right now it is complicated by the supply issues, but if that gets sorted out, surely they could ramp up the production of these to make way more than they could ever sell Macs.

Either that, or someone will catch up and make a comparable ARM SoC (nVidia?), and it won't be as special and sought-after anymore.

But why? Almost every monopolistic behemoth has opted for the oldest form of control - forward or backwards integration.

Standard Oil, Bells, Ford Motor Co. for starters.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@ehhthing said: Maybe one day, but right now the only feasible ARM based laptop is unfortunately made by Apple.

https://riscv.org/
    microphone drop :smile:

Thanked by 1devp
  • LeeLee Veteran

@rm_ said: Either that, or someone will catch up and make a comparable ARM SoC (nVidia?), and it won't be as special and sought-after anymore.

Apple won't sell their own chips, ever. Also makes no difference if someone makes a comparable ARM SoC, it won't be in Apple devices so not going to make anything Apple does 'less special' to Mac users.

@vyas11 said: Getting the 16 core Pro (maybe not the max) 32 Gig.

I ordered the 14" M1 Pro 10-core. I was going for the M1 Max but meh, I will upgrade again in two years.

Thanked by 1vyas11