Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange colored Almalinux logo? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange colored Almalinux logo?

2»

Comments

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

Everyone in the mafia does evil, by definition. Not every Christian or atheist does, but some do. They're not the same thing.

Of course, it's a pure coincidence that both groups originated in Italy (lets bound to Roman church now), but not all organizations would easily handle abusing hundreds thousands of children in different continents and killing millions of innocents. Anyone can create a belief system. But if one takes that system blindly, without any specific reason (e.g. to commit a crime), than what can be said about such individual? I mean we don't have to judge or we can pretend, that it is ok, but if you clearly understand, that "broad belief system" is a diluted BS at most, it impacts your opinion about religious people, whether you like it or not.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@vero said: both groups originated in Italy (lets bound to Roman church now)

Oh, I thought you were serious. Now you're just going into conspiracy lunacy because organized crime originated independently in numerous cultures and regions.

@vero said: not all organizations would easily handle abusing hundreds thousands of children in different continents and killing millions of innocents

Not all but historically many have. If you can't think of ten organizations that have done this off the top of your head, you need to read some history.

@raindog308 said:

Oh, I thought you were serious. Now you're just going into conspiracy lunacy because organized crime originated independently in numerous cultures and regions.

You mean the religions?

Not all but historically many have. If you can't think of ten organizations that have done this off the top of your head, you need to read some history.

Not all, but many.. Your organization as well? I bet Christians would gladly accept this explanation.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2021

@vero said:

@raindog308 said:

Everyone in the mafia does evil, by definition. Not every Christian or atheist does, but some do. They're not the same thing.

Of course, it's a pure coincidence that both groups originated in Italy (lets bound to Roman church now), but not all organizations would easily handle abusing hundreds thousands of children in different continents and killing millions of innocents. Anyone can create a belief system. But if one takes that system blindly, without any specific reason (e.g. to commit a crime), than what can be said about such individual? I mean we don't have to judge or we can pretend, that it is ok, but if you clearly understand, that "broad belief system" is a diluted BS at most, it impacts your opinion about religious people, whether you like it or not.

• Christian != Catholic
    • The catholic (and for that matter, any significant) church isn't only about child or other abuse. For example the catholic church and catholic organizations have built and run way more hospitals than many states.
    • Allegation != Truth. Not every one accusing the church of having abused him actually has been abused.
    • "not known to abuse children" != not abusing children. IMO that's little to do with (any) particular church but rather with psychological and social context and power.
    • The catholic church was founded about 2000 years ago, the mafia a couple of hundred years ago. Also one's raison d'etre is religion, the other one's is money and crime.
    • Yes, there are many Christian/Muslims/... who believe blindly because they've been brought up that way, are too lazy to question it, etc. But I've seen way more Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. who actually do ask questions, look critically, and even challenge their religions organizations than I've seen atheists really asking question, critically looking at, and challenge their belief system.

FWIW, I'm a Christian but not a Catholic nor going to church, so I'm not defending "my" church.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said: In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by Christians.

The exact same thing could be said about Muslims, Atheists, Communists, Democrats, Republicans, Buddhists, Hindus, Ohio State Fans, Canadians, even LET Moderators. It's like saying bad things in history have been done by brown-eyed people - so broad as to be meaningless.

All things being equal, I'm more than happy to stack up the evils done by atheists against those prepetrated by Christians or Muslims. By a few orders of magnitude. Heck, let's just count the 20th century for atheists and the case is settled.

My point is not some numeric analysis to tally up which religion is "the best" but rather that it's absurd to say that just because some is a Christian, they are to be viewed with a jaundiced eye. Or an atheist. Or even a nano user.

@TimboJones said: To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're Christian, and to an atheist like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

I don't think anyone said anything about assuming a person is good just because they say they're a Christian. OTOH, I do object to people assuming someone is bad just because they say they're a Christian, which is outright bigotry. And I would say the same for Muslims, and the rest of that list. Well, maybe not Canadians. Or LET Moderators. And, well, nano users, I mean, come on...

@TimboJones said: I would also argue feminism and Christianity have conflicts of interest.

The former is so poorly defined and the latter is such a big tent it's impossible to say without a lot more info.

@darw said: if homer simpson was female... i mean... you become a president of something cool, and your staff picture be like:

What...exactly is in her hair?

Look like you watch too much CNN and BBC and read NewYorkTimes..

@jsg said:

FWIW, I'm a Christian but not a Catholic nor going to church, so I'm not defending "my" church.

So what's the point of your whole post? We are free to have different beliefs, I don't question that right.

• Thanked by 2TimboJones iKeyZ

@ViridWeb said: Look like you watch too much CNN and BBC and read NewYorkTimes..

LOL...none of the above. And how you could draw such a conclusion from what I've written mystifies me.

@vero said: So what's the point of your whole post? We are free to have different beliefs, I don't question that right.

Indeed. But you seem to ignorantly conflate multiple things from different categories into strange conspiracy theories, which is what I was objecting to.

@raindog308 said:

Indeed. But you seem to ignorantly conflate multiple things from different categories into strange conspiracy theories, which is what I was objecting to.

Why categorize? Why look at plain facts? That's your imagination created conspiracy, not me. I just like Italy.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@raindog308 said:

@TimboJones said: In history, a whole lot of bad shit has been done by Christians.

The exact same thing could be said about Muslims, Atheists, Communists, Democrats, Republicans, Buddhists, Hindus, Ohio State Fans, Canadians, even LET Moderators. It's like saying bad things in history have been done by brown-eyed people - so broad as to be meaningless.

You missed the point, probably intentionally. And to say that Buddhists are on the level of doing bad shit as Christians, we can't be living in the same universe.

All things being equal, I'm more than happy to stack up the evils done by atheists against those prepetrated by Christians or Muslims. By a few orders of magnitude. Heck, let's just count the 20th century for atheists and the case is settled.

I'm curious. Stack 'em up. Given the very, very low atheism population for the last 5000 years, this will be news to me. You already missed the story posted above about 200K French boys abused. The fucking Catholics in North America alone have been doing bad shit to kids for centuries.

My point is not some numeric analysis to tally up which religion is "the best" but rather that it's absurd to say that just because some is a Christian, they are to be viewed with a jaundiced eye. Or an atheist. Or even a nano user.

@TimboJones said: To me, it gives me a weird feeling when people just accept a person as good by saying they're Christian, and to an atheist like me, it strikes me as the person being tone deaf and/or naive.

I don't think anyone said anything about assuming a person is good just because they say they're a Christian.

Not in this thread, but in books, movies, real life, etc, introducing someone for the first time and saying they're a good Christian... it would be just fine to say they were a good person.

OTOH, I do object to people assuming someone is bad just because they say they're a Christian, which is outright bigotry. And I would say the same for Muslims, and the rest of that list. Well, maybe not Canadians. Or LET Moderators. And, well, nano users, I mean, come on...

Where did I say they're bad? I was making the point it doesn't make them automatically good.

@TimboJones said: I would also argue feminism and Christianity have conflicts of interest.

The former is so poorly defined and the latter is such a big tent it's impossible to say without a lot more info.

It's not. That's an actual debate topic. Your response sounds like a PR person trying to make it sound like they're not diametrically opposed on a number of things.

• @jsg said:

@vero said:

@raindog308 said:

• Christian != Catholic

Catholic = Christian.

• The catholic (and for that matter, any significant) church isn't only about child or other abuse. For example the catholic church and catholic organizations have built and run way more hospitals than many states.

That's irrelevant and defending it is pathetic.

• Allegation != Truth. Not every one accusing the church of having abused him actually has been abused.
    • "not known to abuse children" != not abusing children. IMO that's little to do with (any) particular church but rather with psychological and social context and power.
    • The catholic church was founded about 2000 years ago, the mafia a couple of hundred years ago. Also one's raison d'etre is religion, the other one's is money and crime.

I think he was referring to how the Vatican and mafia were in bed together and swapped the Vatican's dirty assets for the Mafia's clean assets. And all the mysterious murders/deaths/circumstances at the Vatican.

• Yes, there are many Christian/Muslims/... who believe blindly because they've been brought up that way, are too lazy to question it, etc. But I've seen way more Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. who actually do ask questions, look critically, and even challenge their religions organizations than I've seen atheists really asking question, critically looking at, and challenge their belief system.

Then how can you trust a book where the first chapter is completely fabricated? Everything else is first and third person hearsay written in a time with less than 3% literacy, and stories repackaged from the previous 1000 years?

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint iKeyZ

@TimboJones said: I'm curious. Stack 'em up.

The Holocaust and other general depredations of the Nazis, the Cambodian genocide, the Holodomor...already, we're into the tens of millions.

@TimboJones said: It's not. That's an actual debate topic. Your response sounds like a PR person trying to make it sound like they're not diametrically opposed on a number of things.

I disagree. There is no coherent definition of "feminism". And "Christian" is everything from a Catholic to an Orthodox to a Southern Baptist to the extremely liberal churches which have transgendered ministers to Mormons, Unitarians, and Jehovah's Witnesses. Even within that short list, there are multiple definitions possible of what a Christian is, and many groups would exclude others on categorical grounds. I literally am sitting in a house that is on the same street as a Catholic church, a Romanian Seventh-Day Adventist, a church that bills itself as the "gay Christian community" church, a JW hall, and a Mormon church. The span of beliefs there is unparalleled in any other faith tradition other than perhaps Hinduism.

It's the "they're" in your statement that is the problem. I know plenty of Catholics and Christians who'd consider themselves feminists and many would would say they personally are not.

@TimboJones said: Where did I say they're bad? I was making the point it doesn't make them automatically good.

On this we completely agree. But others in this thread have implied otherwise - i.e., that stating someone is a Christian is a bad sign. That is my only objection because it is inherently a pre-judgement of a person's character based on their religious beliefs.

@TimboJones said: Then how can you trust a book where the first chapter is completely fabricated? Everything else is first and third person hearsay written in a time with less than 3% literacy, and stories repackaged from the previous 1000 years?

You are again making vast assumptions about 2 billion+ people. Only a percentage (which is a minority) would take Genesis as literal history. You see how difficult definitions are...

@TimboJones said: Catholic = Christian.

Approximately 1/2 of the world's Christians are Catholic (or less, depending on which groups you include in the denominator, such as Mormons, Oneness, Unification, JWs, etc.)

@raindog308 said:

The Holocaust and other general depredations of the Nazis, the Cambodian genocide, the Holodomor...already, we're into the tens of millions.

All mentioned wouldn't make 20. Of course there were more atrocities. But the funny fact is that all these crime regimes perished, but church is still here and shining.

On this we completely agree. But others in this thread have implied otherwise - i.e., that stating someone is a Christian is a bad sign. That is my only objection because it is inherently a pre-judgement of a person's character based on their religious beliefs.

It's not prejudgement on character, just about possible lack of knowledge and understanding of that person in case of blind faith. Possible is the key word here.

You are again making vast assumptions about 2 billion+ people. Only a percentage (which is a minority) would take Genesis as literal history. You see how difficult definitions are...

Just try to realize what a wild assumptions these 2 billion make..

Thanked by 2TimboJones iKeyZ
    edited October 2021

@TimboJones said:

For people set to smear the christian belief it might be, but for mentally and socially healthy humans it is not because the number of - not necessarily christian btw - people who received health care, basic education, etc. by the oh so evil catholic hospitals, schools, etc. is vastly larger than the number of - alleged or real - abuse cases.

I think he was referring to how the Vatican and mafia were in bed together and swapped the Vatican's dirty assets for the Mafia's clean assets. And all the mysterious murders/deaths/circumstances at the Vatican.

And again you paint a christian institution in black only. But I'll admit that the vatican is indeed an easy target and probably one of the darkest zones in christianity. But still vatican != christians.

Then how can you trust a book where the first chapter is completely fabricated? Everything else is first and third person hearsay written in a time with less than 3% literacy, and stories repackaged from the previous 1000 years?

I see. So where's the book then by anyone reporting directly from the big bang?

Sorry but the bible, while certainly having flaws, still is much, much more solid than the "science" fairy tales which, I kid you not, pulled out about 95% of everything that (according to their fairy tales) exists right out of their a__es (e.g. "dark matter", "dark energy") because actual science proved their earlier fairy tales wrong
    Funny that "enlightened modern" people have no problem believing that obvious nonsense (ca. 95% of the universe consists of "magic dust") but consider the bible ridiculous.

Btw. In real life and with normal people I know of very few cases of christians considering themselves somehow superior - but I know plenty atheists who consider themselves superior to christians. Certainly just strange happenstance.

@jsg said:

Sorry but the bible, while certainly having flaws, still is much, much more solid than the "science" fairy tales which, I kid you not, pulled out about 95% of everything that (according to their fairy tales) exists right out of their a__es (e.g. "dark matter", "dark energy") because actual science proved their earlier fairy tales wrong

If scientists wouldn't have been oppressed and killed by church throughout the ages, I'm sure we even wouldn't had a problem called COVID in 2020. Progress of science was slowed for centuries.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@vero said:

@jsg said:

If scientists wouldn't have been oppressed and killed by church throughout the ages, I'm sure we even wouldn't had a problem called COVID in 2020. Progress of science was slowed for centuries.

I see, the (not at all) good old, old story about the oh so evil church hampering science ...

For one that's largely untrue; e.g. the famous Galileo case was different from the rumors. Plus, uhm, actually even the oh so evil catholic church actually has supported science in diverse ways and was/is generally not opposed to science, let alone oppressing scientists.

That said, every kind of regime tends to say, influence, science be it intentional and targeted or indirectly. And btw. the worst and most massive oppression of science and scientists comes from atheists. I happen to know quite a few christian scientists who try hard to keep their religious belief hidden so as to avoid mobbing and damage to their career. Just try to do research that contradicts Darwin and other "scientific" dogmas - well noted, even in "enlightened" western democracies - and you'll learn very quickly how freedom loving atheists are ...

• This took a strange turn

@jsg said:
    For one that's largely untrue; e.g. the famous Galileo case was different from the rumors.

"The Inquisition found him guilty of defending Copernican theory as a probability, "vehemently suspect of heresy," demanded him to recant his views and placed him under house arrest for the remainder of his life." Church pleasantly surprised me with this one, really. Conflict between religion and science is preprogrammed, because if you tell something, can't prove it, get angry when someone's questioning your truths and yet tell people to behave in some manner (to research something or not, to restrict something or not) because your hallucination tells you that, sorry, you don't belong in a modern world. At least not as drug addict.

That said, every kind of regime tends to say, influence, science be it intentional and targeted or indirectly.

Christianity is a regime, that's completely clear and I agree. I'm not even atheist (don't like an idea of the word "theos" in any form to be associated with me) and I think people often use this word just to consider someone as infidel. No many would put "Atheist" in their professional profiles, because that would as well raise some questions. But putting "Christian" says pretty much enough by itself.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited October 2021

@vero said:

@jsg said:
    For one that's largely untrue; e.g. the famous Galileo case was different from the rumors.

"The Inquisition found him guilty of defending Copernican theory as a probability, "vehemently suspect of heresy," demanded him to recant his views and placed him under house arrest for the remainder of his life."

... so someone wrote. What if someone else wrote "Galilei was a child molester and accused of murdering no less than 6 people"? Or in other words, someone saying something doesn't mean it is so. Oh and btw, it wasn't the inquisition, it was a commission led by a cardinal who basically held the position that what Galilei submitted needed some more and better proof. Plus house arrest was an extremely mild verdict back then and it was so mild because said cardinal principally respected Galilei and science in general although he found Galilei's submission to be lacking.

Conflict between religion and science is preprogrammed, ...

Yeah, right, that's why the church founded and ran and still runs quite many universities and research labs. Classical case of "dislike of science".

A propos, maybe you are the one hallucinating here and acting like "that which doesn't fit my world view can not possibly be true"

I'm not even atheist (don't like an idea of the word "theos" in any form to be associated with me)

Too bad that "God hater" contains the word "God" (Theos), though luck.

If you want to be taken seriously as someone on the side of science (as opposed to a Creator) you should try to meet at least minimal levels of scientific procedure and arguments, like e.g. not consistently bending and twisting things, carefully picking what suits your view, etc.

Amen.

• This is even more random than the @Virmach's 2018 thread.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@raindog308 said:

Well, Hitler was an occultist and didn't start the war in the name of atheism.

@TimboJones said: It's not. That's an actual debate topic. Your response sounds like a PR person trying to make it sound like they're not diametrically opposed on a number of things.

I disagree. There is no coherent definition of "feminism". And "Christian" is everything from a Catholic to an Orthodox to a Southern Baptist to the extremely liberal churches which have transgendered ministers to Mormons, Unitarians, and Jehovah's Witnesses. Even within that short list, there are multiple definitions possible of what a Christian is, and many groups would exclude others on categorical grounds. I literally am sitting in a house that is on the same street as a Catholic church, a Romanian Seventh-Day Adventist, a church that bills itself as the "gay Christian community" church, a JW hall, and a Mormon church. The span of beliefs there is unparalleled in any other faith tradition other than perhaps Hinduism.

There's a definition in every dictionary. Dave Chappelle's special two weeks ago read out that it's the belief that men and women should have equal rights. I firmly believe there's ample evidence in the bible where women are not provided equal rights.

It's the "they're" in your statement that is the problem. I know plenty of Catholics and Christians who'd consider themselves feminists and many would would say they personally are not.

The problem is the source material, the bible. The reason there's a new offshoot religion is because they all need to ignore more shit in the bible to swallow it and to reinterpret things that make them feel better. You won't find the gay accepting churches reading out Leviticus and shit.

@TimboJones said: Where did I say they're bad? I was making the point it doesn't make them automatically good.

Sed religious beliefs with name writing style and we have irony.

@TimboJones said: Then how can you trust a book where the first chapter is completely fabricated? Everything else is first and third person hearsay written in a time with less than 3% literacy, and stories repackaged from the previous 1000 years?

No. That isn't true. Only in recent times have they changed that to symbolism. For centuries, they treated it like the actual truth and killed people saying otherwise. I went to a Catholic school in the 90's and my teacher also said it was symbolism and I said, no, I can see people all the time make literal references to Genesis ("God said Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" for gay protests). So in the 90's,I looked up some stat and in the 1950's US, more than 50% believed in literal Genesis.

And so even if you take it as symbolic, why don't you care about how the beginning actually started? We know that genes and DNA as well as our upbringing determine who we are. And the first symbol is that if you obtain knowledge, God will be very pissed. Wizard in Oz.

@TimboJones said: Catholic = Christian.

Approximately 1/2 of the world's Christians are Catholic (or less, depending on which groups you include in the denominator, such as Mormons, Oneness, Unification, JWs, etc.)

As mentioned above, it's the source material that will always be the problem. Selectively ignoring large swaths of text required.

Thanked by 2vero AlwaysSkint
  • 4.3 billion people out of 7.9 billion people worship the same god.

• @jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

For people set to smear the christian belief it might be, but for mentally and socially healthy humans it is not because the number of - not necessarily christian btw - people who received health care, basic education, etc. by the oh so evil catholic hospitals, schools, etc. is vastly larger than the number of - alleged or real - abuse cases.

You're arguing you can do evil and abusive illegal activities and cover it up globally over centuries but it's ok because they also do good using money that the people give them and get back a fraction in return? Buddy, that's about control and power, not helping out of the goodness of their hearts. Don't get me started on Mother Theresa...

And again you paint a christian institution in black only. But I'll admit that the vatican is indeed an easy target and probably one of the darkest zones in christianity. But still vatican != christians.

I see. So where's the book then by anyone reporting directly from the big bang?

Funny that "enlightened modern" people have no problem believing that obvious nonsense (ca. 95% of the universe consists of "magic dust") but consider the bible ridiculous.

Oh, Christ. SMH

Thanked by 2vero iKeyZ
  • @jsg said:
    If you want to be taken seriously as someone on the side of science (as opposed to a Creator) you should try to meet at least minimal levels of scientific procedure and arguments, like e.g. not consistently bending and twisting things, carefully picking what suits your view, etc.

Most ironic comment I've ever read in my life. No hyperbole, either.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint iKeyZ

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

You're arguing you can do evil and abusive illegal activities and cover it up globally over centuries but it's ok because they also do good using money that the people give them and get back a fraction in return? Buddy, that's about control and power, not helping out of the goodness of their hearts. Don't get me started on Mother Theresa...

No, I'm saying that some here paint the church black only, which is wrong.

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

Most ironic comment I've ever read in my life. No hyperbole, either.

Sad to hear because that must be a poor life.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2021

@Ahfaiahkid said: 4.3 billion people out of 7.9 billion people worship the same god.

.. and still can't fucking get along together!

[Sarcasm edit:]
    Whilst we're on the non-Cest Pit (sic) trail..
    Why do the various "green" parties not support the (pest) control of World population, the key factor in wrecking the planet?