Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding IPv6 Native Dedicated Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finding IPv6 Native Dedicated Server

2»

Comments

• @bsh said: I did not say IPv6 NAT. The OP just put all VMs in IPv4 NAT (to have connectivity to the world), this case as IPv4 LAN and use different methods to config IPv6. NAT is what using network to translate address(es).

Ahhh! I'm really sorry @bsh! I though you were advocating for IPv6 NAT, not IPv4 NAT.

@bsh said: If you buy one, you do it then see many hops with 10.10.c.d IPv4 addresses. A router do what functionality? NAT, right?

Those internal IPs aren't NAT; they're just internal routers. Not all routers need to do NAT... You only need NAT when you have more devices than public IPs. If your server has a public IP (which pretty much all rented servers do), the routers won't be doing NAT, even if they're internal routers.

@bsh said: Control bandwidth, limit ports...

You should be limiting ports using a firewall, not using NAT. NAT is not a security mechanism.

@bsh said: Access to internet from each VM to install software in case of IPv4-only repositories

For HTTP you can use a proxy rather than NAT, but yeah in general I think you're right and you'll use either NAT or a translation technology like 464XLAT to provide outbound IPv4 connectivity to an IPV6-only network.

• bshbsh Member

@Daniel15 said:

Those internal IPs aren't NAT; they're just internal routers. Not all routers need to do NAT... You only need NAT when you have more devices than public IPs. If your server has a public IP (which pretty much all rented servers do), the routers won't be doing NAT, even if they're internal routers.

Agree, and not agree. NAT in general is for translate address, but how we cause it translating is different, inbound or outbound, or both. Routers are devices, as a machine, with OS installed (OpenWRT, *BSD, even Alpine Linux...), with routing rules; doing NAT or not depending on our purposes.

@bsh said: Control bandwidth, limit ports...

You should be limiting ports using a firewall, not using NAT. NAT is not a security mechanism.

Here, you said NAT in its narrow applying, as I said this network just translating IPv4 from/to outside the IPv6 world. Almost of us, me too, use firewall to control, but there are others to use. And some use cases, firewall could not control IPv6 VMs, then you need a network belonging to the host machine to control.

@bsh said: Access to internet from each VM to install software in case of IPv4-only repositories

For HTTP you can use a proxy rather than NAT, but yeah in general I think you're right and you'll use either NAT or a translation technology like 464XLAT to provide outbound IPv4 connectivity to an IPV6-only network.

Instead of having ready resources, you buy or rent a proxy (and proxy is NAT or not?). Returning the OP, I've just proposed many options for her/his beginning of networking. Thank you for your commenting.