Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding IPv6 Native Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finding IPv6 Native Dedicated Server

hello,

can you suggest me some providers which has minimum /64 IPv6,
i want to install Proxmox or OpenVZ7 and create container using native ipv6 only

**some provider cannot do native ipv6 containter like OVH so i asking here.

thanks

Comments

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

There are a whole ton of dedicated server providers who do native IPv6 properly giving you even a /48 to further allocate down in your VMs

Do you have a geographic location in mind?

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • Looking for any EU location, with this specs

3x 1TB SSD (or more)
    128GB Ram
    CPU Cores:16 Threads: 32
    IPMI
    price less than $200

Thanks

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Clouvider is doing a pretty sweet promo right (EU - London) that will for sure put you within budget

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174320/clouvider-october-sale-in-london-los-angeles-ashburn-and-phoenix-40-off-dedicated-servers

And more importantly, they do proper ipv6 ;)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

+1 for @Clouvider - you can have up a /48 I believe.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021
    Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

@KONAK said: can you suggest me some providers which has minimum /64 IPv6, i want to install Proxmox or OpenVZ7 and create container using native ipv6 only

If a dedicated server provider does not give you at least a /64 range, they really don't know what they're doing with their network, and I'd be concerned that the network has other issues too :smile:

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Daniel15 said: If a dedicated server provider does not give you at least a /64 range

OVH do provide a /64 (not sure why OP said they dont), but if you want to split the server into VMs and give them a /64 each it's not enough.

Hetzner will give you a /56 instead of a /64 but it has a setup fee (/64 free with hetzner).

• @Mr_Tom said:

@Daniel15 said: If a dedicated server provider does not give you at least a /64 range

OVH do provide a /64 (not sure why OP said they dont), but if you want to split the server into VMs and give them a /64 each it's not enough.

Hetzner will give you a /56 instead of a /64 but it has a setup fee (/64 free with hetzner).

they support for native ipv6 vps ?
    just wondering if someone has experience with them

I have tried both OVH and Online.net for native ipv6, so many problems if only ipv6 vps example vps connection will lost after 1 hour on online.net and for ovh their ipv6 not support for ipv6 vps only, dual stacks is possible.

• @Daniel15 said:

@KONAK said: can you suggest me some providers which has minimum /64 IPv6, i want to install Proxmox or OpenVZ7 and create container using native ipv6 only

If a dedicated server provider does not give you at least a /64 range, they really don't know what they're doing with their network, and I'd be concerned that the network has other issues too :smile:

noted! thanks for your information.

• @Zappie said:
    @Clouvider is doing a pretty sweet promo right (EU - London) that will for sure put you within budget

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174320/clouvider-october-sale-in-london-los-angeles-ashburn-and-phoenix-40-off-dedicated-servers

And more importantly, they do proper ipv6 ;)

@Mr_Tom said:
    +1 for @Clouvider - you can have up a /48 I believe.

@Clouvider said:
    Thanks a lot @Zappie and @Mr_Tom !

Have a look at our current specials :-)

https://www.clouvider.com/dedicated-servers/

And https://www.clouvider.com/dedicated-servers-sale/

thanks guys, let me check on this deals

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • bshbsh Member

@KONAK said:

@Mr_Tom said:

I have tried both OVH and Online.net for native ipv6, so many problems if only ipv6 vps example vps connection will lost after 1 hour on online.net and for ovh their ipv6 not support for ipv6 vps only, dual stacks is possible.

Perhaps OP has misunderstood. OVH provides /64 native IPv6, and we could setup IPv6-only VPS. The problem is probably IPv6 settings and/or docker. For some providers, you would have to set correct netmask because their provided IPv6 gateway is outside your /64 subnet, depending on OS, eg. in cases of FreeBSD and Alpine Linux, I used to set /56 subnet in network config, even though I have /64 subnet from OVH/SYS.

• @bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@Mr_Tom said:

Perhaps OP has misunderstood. OVH provides /64 native IPv6, and we could setup IPv6-only VPS. The problem is probably IPv6 settings and/or docker. For some providers, you would have to set correct netmask because their provided IPv6 gateway is outside your /64 subnet, depending on OS, eg. in cases of FreeBSD and Alpine Linux, I used to set /56 subnet in network config, even though I have /64 subnet from OVH/SYS.

Did you setup ipv6 only vps? I mean without nat

I tried nat and it works but ipv6 only is not working

• bshbsh Member
    edited October 2021

@KONAK said:

@bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@Mr_Tom said:

If without NAT, you should use mac address for your VPS.
    Because I have a /28 IPv4, so I would create mac address for each IPv4. Take one of these mac address to assign for network interface of IPv6 only VPS, and config IPv6 as normal.
    If with NAT, you would have many many options to choose, easiest one is ND.
    Why dont like NAT? I see no difference because latency difference is like zero.

• KONAKKONAK Member
    edited October 2021

@bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@Mr_Tom said:

If without NAT, you should use mac address for your VPS.
    Because I have a /28 IPv4, so I would create mac address for each IPv4. Take one of these mac address to assign for network interface of IPv6 only VPS, and config IPv6 as normal.
    If with NAT, you would have many many options to choose, easiest one is ND.
    Why dont like NAT? I see no difference because latency difference is like zero.

My project require IPv6 only and I able to setup IPv6 native VPS without any mac address using other providers and now expanding to another location

• bshbsh Member

Which technology for your VPS as parts of host and client?

• @bsh said:

I'm using virtuozzo to create both OpenVZ and KVM
    and we can login using ssh root@ipv6-only or open any port in the vps side
    deployed many vps without issue till know. i'm finding similiar setup IPv6 in other areas
    please suggest me if u know

• Btw what is the definition of Native IPv6 ?

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Btw what is the definition of Native IPv6 ?

Pure ipv6 connection?
    I mean not using dual stacks ipv4 and ipv6

• bshbsh Member

@KONAK said:

@bsh said:

deployed many vps without issue till know. i'm finding similiar setup IPv6 in other areas

The last OpenVZ VPS I used were from Burst.NET, now I prefer bhvye and then KVM. But I think you could assign a mac address for your box easily, if not any client would use any IPv6 from other boxes, right?
    If you dont like using mac address, you should use NAT, and then using dnsmasq or any firewall or using IPv6 ND (Neighbor Discovery Protocol), etc..., to assign IPv6 to your boxes. They are native, then :)
    I bought some IPv4-only VPS from RachNerd (IPv4 /32) and some from BuyVM (IPv6 /48), then I peer them while using ND to assign IPv6 of BuyVM VPS to RackNerd VPS (no need of BGP session, no need of GRE). Inside RackNerd VPS, you could use IPv6 as if it be.

• bshbsh Member

@KONAK said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Pure ipv6 connection?

wrong

• edited October 2021

@KONAK said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Pure ipv6 connection?

I just create a container using proxmox with IPv6 only connectivity. All connection work properly. I can ping both host & container from and to internet.

EDIT: If your host/provider give you a routable /64 IPv6 then you can use it to your VM/Container.

• Can you try to ssh to that ipv6 vps?
    And try to test again after an hour or so.
    Please let me know which provider

• @bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@bsh said:

The last OpenVZ VPS I used were from Burst.NET, now I prefer bhvye and then KVM. But I think you could assign a mac address for your box easily, if not any client would use any IPv6 from other boxes, right?
    If you dont like using mac address, you should use NAT, and then using dnsmasq or any firewall or using IPv6 ND (Neighbor Discovery Protocol), etc..., to assign IPv6 to your boxes. They are native, then :)
    I bought some IPv4-only VPS from RachNerd (IPv4 /32) and some from BuyVM (IPv6 /48), then I peer them while using ND to assign IPv6 of BuyVM VPS to RackNerd VPS (no need of BGP session, no need of GRE). Inside RackNerd VPS, you could use IPv6 as if it be.

Wow, this is really informative.
    Btw i use virtualizor, i think they do generate virtual mac for each Ipv6.
    I think i should try NAT and dnsmasq like u said

• edited October 2021

@KONAK said:
    Can you try to ssh to that ipv6 vps?
    And try to test again after an hour or so.
    Please let me know which provider

Yes I can, working fine since the setup several weeks ago. It is a VPS that support nested virtualization

• @bsh said:

@KONAK said:

@bsh said:

I just confimed that IPv6 ND is working in my main server

• bshbsh Member

@KONAK said:
    I think i should try NAT and dnsmasq like u said

If you just want to route your network, you don't need to enable DHCP server from dnsmasq.

edited October 2021

I think the main thing with running IPv6 for containers or VMs is that you need a routed IPv6 range, not just individual addresses assigned to your server. Some hosts don't do it properly for some reason.

@KONAK said: I think i should try NAT and dnsmasq like u said

Please don't use NAT for IPv6! One of the main benefits of IPv6 is that NAT isn't needed, as there's enough IPs for every device on a network to have one. If you have IPv6 at home, your internet provider will have assigned you at least a /64 subnet, then every device on your LAN uses SLAAC to auto-configure an IPv6 address based on its MAC address. All of those are public IP addresses, so no NAT is needed (note that they're still firewalled by your router - NAT is not a security mechanism). By default the devices will get a new IP every few hours thanks to SLAAC privacy extensions.

• bshbsh Member

@Daniel15 said:
    I think the main thing with running IPv6 for containers or VMs is that you need a routed IPv6 range, not just individual addresses assigned to your server. Some hosts don't do it properly for some reason.

@KONAK said: I think i should try NAT and dnsmasq like u said

Please don't use NAT for IPv6! One of the main benefits of IPv6 is that NAT isn't needed, as there's enough IPs for every device on a network to have one. If you have IPv6 at home, your internet provider will have assigned you at least a /64 subnet, then every device on your LAN uses SLAAC to auto-configure an IPv6 address based on its MAC address. All of those are public IP addresses, so no NAT is needed (note that they're still firewalled by your router - NAT is not a security mechanism). By default the devices will get a new IP every few hours thanks to SLAAC privacy extensions.

Did you read the whole conversation...
    First point, OVH provides a fully-functionally IPV6 /64 subnet. You could do anything with those.
    Second point, using NAT for IPv6 or not depends on the circumstance, the method you assign IPv6, known that IPv6 does not need NAT to be configured. Like the OP, in this conversation, some options were proposed. And I don't see cons while using NAT, but pros.
    Extra point, all OVH dedi servers were put in IPv4 NAT, tracerouting from inside one server will make this point clear.

edited October 2021

@bsh said: First point, OVH provides a fully-functionally IPV6 /64 subnet.

I never said that OVH doesn't do that, just that "some hosts" don't 🙂. I've used server providers in the past where they only give one IPv6 address, and if you ask for a subnet, they just give you a few extra IPs (?????).

@bsh said: Second point, using NAT for IPv6 or not depends on the circumstance

The circumstance is whether you want a proper network config or not :tongue:

The only purpose of NAT is to handle the case where you have more devices than IPs. For example, if you have one public IPv4 address but multiple devices that need network connectivity. With IPv6, that is never an issue, because you should always have enough IPs for your entire network.

@bsh said: I don't see cons while using NAT, but pros.

The main pro is that it helps with IPv4 exhaustion (and in fact this was the only reason it was designed), but that's not an issue with IPv6. If you search Google for "IPv6 NAT advantages" you'll find literally nothing - all the articles are about how an advantage of IPv6 is that it does not need NAT.

NAT has a LOT of cons:

• NAT is slower (even moreso for IPv6), because a routing device has to keep a mapping between 'internal' IP and 'external' IP for every outbound port, and every packet needs to go through this mapping procedure. Ethernet packs are 1500 bytes in most cases, so every 1500 bytes sent or received requires the mapping code to run, which for a Gigabit connection is actually quite a bit of overhead.
    • NAT is trickier to debug when things go wrong, as your routing device needs to be stateful and it may be tricky to work out which port corresponded to which internal device. Routing can be stateless if NAT is not needed.
    • NAT means your devices do not have public routable IP addresses. which makes end-to-end connections harder. You need to use "port forwarding" (destination NAT - DNAT) to enable inbound connectivity.
    • Some apps don't work well with NAT, particularly if they're peer-to-peer apps or they need inbound connections to be on a particular port.

@bsh said: all OVH dedi servers were put in IPv4 NAT, tracerouting from inside one server will make this point clear.

Are you sure it's not just a regular router? NAT won't appear in a traceroute, as it's just remapping done by the router. You'll see the router in the traceroute even if it's not using NAT. You do see an extra hop when using NAT on a server, because the server itself is a router, but I don't imagine that's what's happening in OVH's case.

• bshbsh Member

@Daniel15 said:

The circumstance is whether you want a proper network config or not :tongue:

The only purpose of NAT is to handle the case where you have more devices than IPs. For example, if you have one public IPv4 address but multiple devices that need network connectivity. With IPv6, that is never an issue, because you should always have enough IPs for your entire network.

>
    Oh, you have just discovered America continent.
    The circumstance here is this conversation, and the OP don't be ready for using mac address (my first advice, if you read from the start), and the server from OVH/SYS.
    Proper network config is what adapts to, and satisfy to, all things. Practice is not theory. The threads of OP as if it's about basic networking.

The main pro is that it helps with IPv4 exhaustion (and in fact this was the only reason it was designed), but that's not an issue with IPv6. If you search Google for "IPv6 NAT advantages" you'll find literally nothing - all the articles are about how an advantage of IPv6 is that it does not need NAT.

I did not say IPv6 NAT. The OP just put all VMs in IPv4 NAT (to have connectivity to the world), this case as IPv4 LAN and use different methods to config IPv6. NAT is what using network to translate address(es).

NAT has a LOT of cons:

• NAT is slower (even moreso for IPv6), because a routing device has to keep a mapping between 'internal' IP and 'external' IP for every outbound port, and every packet needs to go through this mapping procedure. Ethernet packs are 1500 bytes in most cases, so every 1500 bytes sent or received requires the mapping code to run, which for a Gigabit connection is actually quite a bit of overhead.
    • NAT is trickier to debug when things go wrong, as your routing device needs to be stateful and it may be tricky to work out which port corresponded to which internal device. Routing can be stateless if NAT is not needed.
    • NAT means your devices do not have public routable IP addresses. which makes end-to-end connections harder. You need to use "port forwarding" (destination NAT - DNAT) to enable inbound connectivity.

NAT4 in this case is only for connectivity to the world, you dont need to forward ports, so these cons make non sense. When IPv6 online, connectivity via IPv6 could be routed directly to the world (no hop from host machine) or via your host machine (next hop of guest machine).

• Some apps don't work well with NAT, particularly if they're peer-to-peer apps or they need inbound connections to be on a particular port.

No, as said above

@bsh said: all OVH dedi servers were put in IPv4 NAT, tracerouting from inside one server will make this point clear.

Are you sure it's not just a regular router? NAT won't appear in a traceroute, as it's just remapping done by the router. You'll see the router in the traceroute even if it's not using NAT. You do see an extra hop when using NAT on a server, because the server itself is a router, but I don't imagine that's what's happening in OVH's case.

If you buy one, you do it then see many hops with 10.10.c.d IPv4 addresses. A router do what functionality? NAT, right?

In conclusion, you have this situation in practice:

• you have a dedi with one public IPv4 and a /64 IPv6 subnet
    • you would like to create many VMs with IPv6 only and provide these VMs for clients/friends to use, but you would like to limit them from using something like mailserver or to limit them in bandwidth usage...
      You would have to put these VMs in NAT to:

• Access to internet from each VM to install software in case of IPv4-only repositories

• Control bandwidth, limit ports...