Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

firstbyte.ru
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

firstbyte.ru

xiaoakwxiaoakw Member
edited October 2021 in General

Don't buy firstbyte.ru's vps. I bought Singapore vps. The configuration was originally 100mbps unlimited traffic, but firstbyte.ru limited all users to 5mbps but put the responsibility on the users. This is a scam

Comments

• @xiaoakw said:
    Don't buy firstbyte.ru's vps. I bought Singapore vps. The configuration was originally 100mbps wireless traffic, but firstbyte.ru limited all users to 5mbps but put the responsibility on the users. This is a scam

Did it have WiFi?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • pikepike Veteran

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:
    bought Singapore vps

Did it have WiFi?

Seems it was paid.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:
    Don't buy firstbyte.ru's vps. I bought Singapore vps. The configuration was originally 100mbps wireless traffic, but firstbyte.ru limited all users to 5mbps but put the responsibility on the users. This is a scam

Did it have WiFi?

Singapore to Russia... Wifi speed dropped .

Geography mate, not the providers fault!

And to OP

Congratulations on your first post

• @vyas11 said:

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:

Did it have WiFi?

And to OP

It has nothing to do with geography. The supplier privately limits all Singapore vps to 5mbps and scams when they get the money.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@xiaoakw said:

@vyas11 said:

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:

Did it have WiFi?

And to OP

It has nothing to do with geography. The supplier privately limits all Singapore vps to 5mbps and scams when they get the money.

Everything to do with distance

Especially because in OP you wrote

The configuration was originally 100mbps wireless traffic

Atleast today wireless signal cannot stay constant between Singapore and Russia. You claim otherwise?

• @vyas11 said:

@xiaoakw said:

@vyas11 said:

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:

Did it have WiFi?

And to OP

Atleast today wireless signal cannot stay constant between Singapore and Russia. You claim otherwise?

I have already said that the provider forced all Singapore vps to limit the internet speed to 5mbps and lied that it was the user's problem. If you can't understand it, please leave my discussion.

• @xiaoakw said:

@vyas11 said:

@xiaoakw said:

@vyas11 said:

@dahartigan said:

@xiaoakw said:

Did it have WiFi?

And to OP

I have already said that the provider forced all Singapore vps to limit the internet speed to 5mbps and lied that it was the user's problem. If you can't understand it, please leave my discussion.

Do you even understand what you have written? Wireless traffic for VPs?
    Have a nice day figuring out before you get all pouty::: cheers

2-BEC4-C40-5886-4-EAD-9-E05-A0-D1309-C3-E1-B

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

OP ain't even reading. Another PMSing guy needs a tampon.

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited October 2021

perhaps OP originally meant to say 无限 (unlimited), but wrongly written as 无线 (wireless), then the google translation... :D

• Let me guess,google translate may cause misunderstandings?So improve your English first when you guys participate in this community.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@hotsnow said:
    perhaps OP originally meant to say 无限 (unlimited), but wrongly written as 无线 (wireless), then the google translataion... :D

Thanks for clarification- adds to one’s knowledge. So this is literally a case of Lost in Translation!

——

Such insights usually are provided by @fat32 or back in the day by @poisson (where are you/how are you, mate?)

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

There's some misunderstanding here due to translation issue, I am also aware of this incident, let me translate this for you @xiaoakw

In short, firstbyte.ru recently launched a special offer on their Singapore datacenter:

• 1 CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 5GB SSD
    • 1 IPv4
    • Unmetered Bandwidth @ 100Mbps
    • Price: 94.35 RUB/m ($1.3/m)

However, due to potential abuse, they recently throttled it down to 5Mbps only without any refund / explanation. (I mean, what could possibly go wrong with unmetered bandwidth in Singapore?)

To make thing worse, they only accept Credit Card, thus chargeback doesn't work.

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Common sense 101 which seems really rare nowadays.

• I bet that deal was popular with mjjs, SGP and unmetered don't usually go together.

I hope this isn't another case of the bad apples ruin the bunch..

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited October 2021

@FAT32 said:
    There's some misunderstanding here due to translation issue, I am also aware of this incident, let me translate this for you @xiaoakw

In short, firstbyte.ru recently launched a special offer on their Singapore datacenter:

• 1 CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 5GB SSD
    • 1 IPv4

However, due to potential abuse, they recently throttled it down to 5Mbps only without any refund / explanation. (I mean, what could possibly go wrong with unmetered bandwidth in Singapore?)

To make thing worse, they only accept Credit Card, thus chargeback doesn't work.

this is neither unmetered nor 100mbps...this is fraud

• @FAT32 said:

• 1 CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 5GB SSD
    • 1 IPv4

You can definitely still charge back a credit card charge. For an amount this low changes are you will win the case regardless.

CC in China may work differently because that country seems to defy several common practices seen elsewhere.

Or maybe @FAT66 hasn't has his morning coffee yet.

@deank said:
    CC in China may work differently because that country seems to defy several common practices seen elsewhere.

Or maybe FAT66 hasn't has his morning coffee yet.

Ya that's one reason, another one is they might be using prepaid cards (Lots and lots of them), which is how some of them have so many Oracle accounts

I have very little sympathy for those who use disposable CCs.

No sanity lost on dat.

• @jamespeach said:
    You can definitely still charge back a credit card charge. For an amount this low changes are you will win the case regardless.

about the CC, basically it's impossible to charge back in China, the bank can't support it.

• @FAT32 said:
    Ya that's one reason, another one is they might be using prepaid cards (Lots and lots of them), which is how some of them have so many Oracle accounts

Is this the same reason why account of the "free lawyer to sue Oracle" guy is locked ?

@hotsnow said:
    about the CC, basically it's impossible to charge back in China, the bank can't support it.

As weird as it sounds, I can certainly see why they refuse to accept chargebacks in China. There is something fundamentally wrong with China culture.

• This provider rated very low by russians at https://hostadvice.com/hosting-company/firstbyte-reviews/?lang[1]=ru#user-reviews . Insanely bad support and service quality. There is terms like "plintus" and "uzhas". Which means hostsolutions.ro level of service. Try only with "shit & gigles" in mind. And a virtual credit card ;)

• It's a little funny.
    Nearly no one on this forum speaks Russian or has heard of this provider.
    But because of this "marketing" thread, firstbyte.ru will get at least 20 new customers because LET (ab)users can't resist an offer.
    Someone will buy a VPS just to run yabs.sh.

• @deank said:

@hotsnow said:

As weird as it sounds, I can certainly see why they refuse to accept chargebacks in China. There is something fundamentally wrong with China culture.

Alternatively we have no-hassle return policy in specific time limit.It's hard to say whether this is better than CHARGEBACK.But This may benefit to merchants in some case.

Back to this case,the point is not China donn't support CC.The point is the provider take some measures which are not declared before and actually affect some customers who have no abuse indeeds.If firstbyte.ru support Paypal,six month later after your payment they change the service standards,the network speed get limited.It is the provider that should be blamed,not customers.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@vyas11 said:
    2-BEC4-C40-5886-4-EAD-9-E05-A0-D1309-C3-E1-B

it sounds to me the common sense is lost in translation, never heard of wireless connection in any DC.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

(a) Maybe the "only 5 Mb/s" story is true, maybe not. One (1) complaint and from a totally unknown user at that, simply isn't a solid basis.
    (b) I happen to have a small firstbyte VPS (in Russia, not in SGP though) since more than a year and so far got no problems and relatively decent performance.
    (c) What do people expect for $1 to $1.50/mo and in a SGP location at that ...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jsg said: (c) What do people expect for $1 to $1.50/mo and in a SGP location at that ...

some people do have very high expectations for peanuts cost.

@jsg said:
    (a) Maybe the "only 5 Mb/s" story is true, maybe not. One (1) complaint and from a totally unknown user at that, simply isn't a solid basis.

I have seen a lot of people in the Chinese community who bought it got throttled, and some only run 10-20GB across few days which isnt an abuse

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@FAT32 said:

@jsg said:

I have seen a lot of people in the Chinese community who bought it got throttled, and some only run 10-20GB across few days which isnt an abuse

Now, that, you reporting that, is another and more solid basis.
    But still IMO that's SGP specific; in their russian location(s) firstbyte is decent, in relation of course to the very cheap price.

Sad though that it seems one should look with some mistrust at offers in asian locations, except for a few well known and known to be OK providers. I really wish that Asia could solve their problems and get on par with EU and NA.