Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostmantis - Pricing Increase for 2022 - 25% - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostmantis - Pricing Increase for 2022 - 25%

13»

Comments

• Fuck these fucking assclowns with their bait and switch tactics.

• @K4Y5 said:
    Fuck these fucking assclowns with their bait and switch tactics.

Overreacting much?

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

I'm going to > @Lex said:

@Ympker said:

@HostXNow said:
    Are they "that" good? They do price changes and change specs quite often and customers stay there!? I sense out a buyout ;)

Their performance has probably been about second to none in Shared Hosting. Never really experienced something more snappy and with premium perks like LiteSpeed, cPanel, Daily JetBackups etc... Old Reseller plans also were quite awesome with old limits. Oh, and before they revoked their recurring discounts my Reseller Entry plan renewed at 9,68$/year. Trully a blast from the past. Time to move on. Back to the future :P

Honestly, this. Their performance is really good! (before I was with buyshared, no complaints there, I just needed... more)

But my freaking gosh, their price increasing is outfuckingrageous.
    First year: 9.68$
    Second year: 36.30$ (cause cPanel hurt their precious income, I accepted this cause again, their performance was pretty good)
    Third year: 67.46$ (they blamed cPanel again, but excuse me cPanel raised the price with 25% and they did with 100%!?!)
    Forth year: ~84$ TBA (only announced a ~25% increase, blamed cPanel again but they only increased the prices with 10%, so the rest is purely their profit since I assume they recalculated the reseller packages from the first raise accordingly)
    All these prices are also discounted recurring with an offer... yeah, useless.

~1000% increase in 4 years (LOL)

So yeah, TL;DR: Very good performance, extremely questionable sales/marketing decisions.
    Honestly? I wouldn't recommend them for this. You will have a surprise each year, price wise :)

Right now I'm with myw.pt and I did not notice a degradation in website performance, it's almost identical and waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Consider this a personal endorsement for them in case you are like me and want to ditch HostMantis!

I still think it's cheap but I will move my account from there to my 4 GB buyvm vps. I would rather pay more and have a predictable pricing than to pay less and not know when it will increase or by how much each year. It's okay if they said that we'll increase the price each year to match the inflation data, then it would be predictable.

• It's best to read the first part of ezeths last post as a reply to K4Y5.

• After they have migrated my Singapore accounts to a new server as part of their "upgrade", they suddenly migrate my accounts to another Singapore server again with zero notice until after a 1 hour downtime

• @Lunics said:
    Ouch. Hard to justify, isn't it?

Haa,yes

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@K4Y5 said:

Are you aware that Equinix and virtually every single datacenter operator increase their pricing every single year? And that affects existing spaces ?

Mind blowing isn’t it. “All of these bait and switch tactics”

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Yes but at the same time bandwidth and hardware are cheaper. Modern servers also need less power.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited November 2021

@Shazan said:
    Yes but at the same time bandwidth and hardware are cheaper. Modern servers also need less power.

I'm not running, nor have ever run a hosting company.
    But I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) the following:

• Prices, globally, of most stuff, are going up. This means that today if you want your admins and tech. support to make a decent living, you need to pay them more. In 2022, I don't expect prices to go down, but further increase.
    • Software license prices aren't something I'd expect to go down either - I expect them to keep going up (cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed etc.).
    • Finally, I assume that those costs (pays and software licenses) play a big part, with hardware renting (or buying) costs being just one, probably smaller, part of the equation.

We are all free to choose providers.
    While providers are free to set their pricing policies.

On top of that, this is capitalism, and that's the point of making a brand - so you can sell stuff for more, earning more. I doubt that iPhone production costs a lot more than the production of a Xiaomi smartphone. So the costs limit only the lowest possible price, while the marketing department makes sure that customers are happy to pay hundreds of dollars for a piece of plastic with some silicone, feeling they got a "good value."

It's similar with all the other products and services.

I think that both HostMantis and cPanel did their price hikes quite clumsily - the likes of Apple and Nike for example do much better brainwashing marketing so many customers are happy to pay their prices, not nearly as outraged at them. But the essence is the same - we are free to choose cheaper alternatives. Many do. But many don't - for various reasons (marketing playing a huge, but not the only role there).

For me, HostMantis has been the most stable, and fastest performing reseller hosting provider I've tried. Past a certain price point, I too would look at and test the cheaper alternatives.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:

@K4Y5 said:

Are you aware that Equinix and virtually every single datacenter operator increase their pricing every single year? And that affects existing spaces ?

Oooooh you think in profit !!! How you dare? Just a joke ;)

@Shazan said:

HW prices are going up. Availability goes down.
    Datacenter prices increase a few percent per annum, not enough to offset the savings made elsewhere even before the pandemic.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Chievo
  • Like @bikegremlin said every provider must select their pricing model and if people is not happy because it they always could create their own hosting with ultra super cheapo pricing and work hard to success. At the end of the story everyone must pay the bills, pay the taxes,pay salaries, invest more money, bla bla bla and have profit . Yes this is like everything in this world real costs of some oranges 0.23 euros kg in the supermarket 1.20 euros .? And? I mean you are not paying for the product itself . You are paying for everything.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    HW prices are going up. Availability goes down.
    Datacenter prices increase a few percent per annum, not enough to offset the savings made elsewhere even before the pandemic.

I don't know for other countries but inflation in Italy is still around 1%. I didn't experience any price increase from the datacenter where we colo in the last 10 years.
    Same for the hardware, even if the same CPU now it's a bit more expensive than a few months ago, it still does much more than those CPUs available 2-3 years ago, and it's cheaper compared to them. Same for the storage, 2 TB NVMe aren't expensive at all nowadays.
    But I am not talking about dedicated servers, that's another market but we are discussing about shared hosting here, right?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2021

@Clouvider said:

@K4Y5 said:

Should have taken a couple more minutes to learn about the host and product in question, in addition to their non-linear 'pricing adjustments', downgrading resources after selling a product and not honoring recurring discounts. That may have blown your mind.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2021

@K4Y5 said: Should have taken a couple more minutes to learn about the host and product in question, in addition to their non-linear 'pricing adjustments', downgrading resources after selling a product and not honoring recurring discounts. That may have blown your mind.

This really. I mean their pricing is not so bad, great service and so on. But the way they do things is really underhanded. I mean the downgrading of resources without any notification other than an on-site article. I didn't even get a notification pricing was going up.

It's more than just pushing the pricing up annually which in itself does not bother me. But pushing the price up whilst significantly reducing resource allocation, yeah that sticks a bit.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo

• Thank god I prepaid for three years. Leaving when I get my next invoice generated, prices increased tenfold.

To be clear, I don’t known the business and don’t specifically defend them.

I do however defend their right to increase prices, especially if their costs are rising

• @Clouvider said:

I do however defend their right to increase prices, especially if their costs are rising

Nah, not like this. They have been well above the line since the first price rise. This is just more BS.

It should be classified as a scam by this stage IMO.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

Nah, not like this. They have been well above the line since the first price rise. This is just more BS.

The official inflation numbers is a scam. 6%.. excluding energy that's up 50%, excluding food that's up 20% etc
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

hostmantis increasing their prices by 25% isn't that much when the cost of energy is up 50%+ year to date

• @ezeth said:

@dahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

The official inflation numbers is a scam. 6%.. excluding energy that's up 50%, excluding food that's up 20% etc
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

hostmantis increasing their prices by 25% isn't that much when the cost of energy is up 50%+ year to date

ROFL, okay boomer.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

@Shazan said: Yes but at the same time bandwidth and hardware are cheaper. Modern servers also need less power.

replacing servers every year costs very large sum of money while last years servers will be depreciating like 50%. while I am not supporting huge percentage increase like them , 3-5% hike should be norm .

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2021

@Clouvider said:

C'mon Dom :neutral:

We understand inflation, price adjustment due to extraneous factors not always limited to direct change in costs of materials etc. We deal with it too. Its not a groundbreaking concept unique to the web hosting industry.

However, this specific case is different. It really isn't just about baiting and switching as much as it is about lying, deceiving and out rightly being dishonest little pricks!

Should you really care enough to engage further, spare 5-10 min of your time and look up announcements related to hostmantis on this forum from 2019 onwards. You will undoubtedly gain some insight into the shady crap they have been pulling these past couple of years and understand the cause of such reactions from within the community.

In case you simply do not care enough, there really is no harm in sitting this one out.

@hostdare said:

@Shazan said: Yes but at the same time bandwidth and hardware are cheaper. Modern servers also need less power.

replacing servers every year costs very large sum of money while last years servers will be depreciating like 50%. while I am not supporting huge percentage increase like them , 3-5% hike should be norm .

Agreed.

I pay Leaseweb in 4 figures each month for their services. I have had services with them for years, and have happily paid an annual ~8-10% increment as they revised their costs each year.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have happily been with RamNode for years and didn't mind their price increment in the least. They were quite transparent about it, and people understood.

Just wanted to say that we are not oblivious to hardware / software price fluctuations and their effect on web hosts. We do NOT want for good providers to shut shop, while trying to race to the bottom (Yeah, we are on LET).

However, at the same time, we cannot be expected to not 'vent out' when a certain company is repeatedly scamming people into buying services, abruptly removing lifetime discounts, downgrading allocated resources that were sold as a part of the plan, and then basically being asked to get fucked should they point it out.

• Price hike is one thing. Price hike across the board (for both cPanel and DirectAdmin accounts) justified by the cPanel price hikes is another.

And then making a silent change in your resource allocations for reseller accounts (i.e., making CloudLinux limits apply to ALL accounts under a reseller instead of applying it per account) to force (some) current users to upgrade to their new plan offerings (with higher resource limits) is just criminal.

Yeah, but your contract is for what, a year?

Are they asking you to pay more in this agreed time to continue the service?

After the contracted time, they surely can offer you renewal at a higher price?

@pullangcubo said:
    And then making a silent change in your resource allocations for reseller accounts (i.e., making CloudLinux limits apply to ALL accounts under a reseller instead of applying it per account) to force (some) current users to upgrade to their new plan offerings (with higher resource limits) is just criminal.

Now this is something I would have a problem with.

Thanked by 2webcraft pullangcubo
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2021

@Clouvider said:

They reduced the allocated resources that they sold to me, during the billing period.

They abruptly removed my lifetime discount prior to renewal of service, which they sheepishly re-added upon pointing out and discussing over a support ticket. (I chose to migrate and NOT take them up on their revised lifetime discount. Fool me once.. etc.}

The latter was not a one-off glitch. They did it with everyone, and re-instated discounts, if people noticed and cared enough to call them out on it.

@K4Y5 said:

@Clouvider said:

They reduced the allocated resources that they sold to me, during the billing period.

They abruptly removed my lifetime discount prior to renewal of service, which they sheepishly re-added upon pointing out and discussing over a support ticket.

The latter was not a one-off glitch. They did it with everyone, and re-instated discounts, if people noticed and cared enough to call them out on it.

As I said I’m not defending them per se, my point is merely in relation to their ability to increase prices outside of the billing cycle.

If they changed your limits then I would look up what sort of SLAs were broken and demand compensation in like with the contract, as it’s simply not acceptable ?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2021

@Clouvider said: Are they asking you to pay more in this agreed time to continue the service?

See that is something else that annoys me for new customers. Take a look at WHT which is really only where they advertise. Note they are stating their current prices. Which is fine. But, do they state anywhere if you sign up today on a monthly plan you are getting hit with a 25% price increase in about 6 weeks? No.

Like I said before it's not just about price increases. Removing per account resources and telling nobody, just adding an announcement on their site. Service is great, pricing is still ok but they have a serious attitude and inability to communicate with their customers.