Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostmantis - Pricing Increase for 2022 - 25% - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostmantis - Pricing Increase for 2022 - 25%

Comments

• @happyman said:
    They have always been very good in terms of reliability and speed in responding to support requests. Looks like I am now looking for a suitable replacement.

Which would that be? Similar server performance and fast support and free blesta?

• @Francisco said:

@MikeA said:

@mansoor said:
    Unfortunately there is no Reseller host on LowEndTalk that can compare with Hostmantis's service level and I have reseller accounts with almost all major low end providers. The only two who have the capability to compete with them is BuyShared (@Francisco) and Racknerd but seems like neither of them want to up their service level to compete.

Reseller hosting probably is the most hassle and risk for abuse, so I don't think it's ideal for low-end providers to do as a main business service.

Resellers would have to come up in price a lot, at least 2x - 3x. Even Shared would have to go that way to interest me.

We're likely to bring back Shared, but that'll be on the domain registrar brand and it wouldn't be targeted to LET.

Francisco

To be fair, I had offered to pay 3x gladly for reseller hosting with you (even created tickets about the same). Even offered to have number of resold account lowered from unlimited to maybe 100 tops for your most expensive plan but you did not want to go that route and offer faster service :(

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2021

@HostXNow said:
    Are they "that" good? They do price changes and change specs quite often and customers stay there!? I sense out a buyout ;)

Their performance has probably been about second to none in Shared Hosting. Never really experienced something more snappy and with premium perks like LiteSpeed, cPanel, Daily JetBackups etc... Old Reseller plans also were quite awesome with old limits. Oh, and before they revoked their recurring discounts my Reseller Entry plan renewed at 9,68$/year. Trully a blast from the past. Time to move on. Back to the future :P

Thanked by 1Lee
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, they seem to one of few who do reseller hosting well (Just a big shared hosting).

Lowend hosts don't tend to touch reseller hosting.

• LeeLee Veteran

I just use them for a couple of small resellers to host family, close friends and a couple of my own sites. No big deal. I don't even mind the price increase so much. The new price would be $10 per month, nothing.

It is more that they cut the resources so significantly per account without so much as a word about it. I had to wait until they did it and it started causing performance issues before I then eventually found an announcement dated two weeks prior they had changed the resource limits.

If it still works for other customers then fair play to them. Not suggesting any needs to jump ship unless they themselves feel that trust has eroded far enough.

• LexLex Member

@Ympker said:

@HostXNow said:
    Are they "that" good? They do price changes and change specs quite often and customers stay there!? I sense out a buyout ;)

Their performance has probably been about second to none in Shared Hosting. Never really experienced something more snappy and with premium perks like LiteSpeed, cPanel, Daily JetBackups etc... Old Reseller plans also were quite awesome with old limits. Oh, and before they revoked their recurring discounts my Reseller Entry plan renewed at 9,68$/year. Trully a blast from the past. Time to move on. Back to the future :P

Honestly, this. Their performance is really good! (before I was with buyshared, no complaints there, I just needed... more)

But my freaking gosh, their price increasing is outfuckingrageous.
    First year: 9.68$
    Second year: 36.30$ (cause cPanel hurt their precious income, I accepted this cause again, their performance was pretty good)
    Third year: 67.46$ (they blamed cPanel again, but excuse me cPanel raised the price with 25% and they did with 100%!?!)
    Forth year: ~84$ TBA (only announced a ~25% increase, blamed cPanel again but they only increased the prices with 10%, so the rest is purely their profit since I assume they recalculated the reseller packages from the first raise accordingly)
    All these prices are also discounted recurring with an offer... yeah, useless.

~1000% increase in 4 years (LOL)

So yeah, TL;DR: Very good performance, extremely questionable sales/marketing decisions.
    Honestly? I wouldn't recommend them for this. You will have a surprise each year, price wise :)

Right now I'm with myw.pt and I did not notice a degradation in website performance, it's almost identical and waaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Consider this a personal endorsement for them in case you are like me and want to ditch HostMantis!

• @Lex I have accounts with myw.pt. Unfortunately, its a one man show. When he is sleeping, support is sleeping. When you are hosting other peoples site (Reseller) you need support. For personal sites myw.pt is good but as a reseller business, not a great option.

I hate the constant price increase and random changes to resource, etc by Mantis but on LET they are the fastest reseller host.

• I've been looking at myw.pt also. The only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of cPanel. I know they will do the conversion but in the future should I decide to move sites back to cPanel I'm not sure how easy that would then be.

• LexLex Member

@mansoor said:
    @Lex I have accounts with myw.pt. Unfortunately, its a one man show. When he is sleeping, support is sleeping. When you are hosting other peoples site (Reseller) you need support. For personal sites myw.pt is good but as a reseller business, not a great option.

I hate the constant price increase and random changes to resource, etc by Mantis but on LET they are the fastest reseller host.

That's the best one man show I've seen!
    It depends what are your expectations with the "Support"
    If it's something from their side, 100% agree they should be able to fix any issue 1 hour or less. Like IDK, websites don't load, panel doesn't load, and it's a general outage not just from your IP cause you logged with an incorrect password 15 times and got blocked.

If you require hand-holding with a wordpress installation, or that you have no idea how to change the php version, that's not urgent by any means and you should be more than grateful with a 48 hour reply time frame. You can't ask for that kind of support, a good service and low price. It's that kind of triangle where you can only pick two!

• Man! Just 2 months ago placed an order and paid for ayear. I had a 25% discount, I guess that's gone. Cancelling my account! putting them on my blacklist. I understand if they raised their prices only for Cpanel to compensate for Cpanel's BS but increase prices and using CPanel as an excuse is horrible.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @HostXNow said:

I sense they're not profitable.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 2021

@mansoor said: Mantis but on LET they are the fastest reseller host

Hostmantis have already gone beyond LE(T) limits in terms of pricing. Their pricing will soon match premium providers like Liquid Web/Rackspace!!!!!

@Lex said: that's not urgent by any means and you should be more than grateful with a 48 hour reply time frame. You can't ask for that kind of support, a good service and low price. It's that kind of triangle where you can only pick two!

but with BuyVM's Buyshared, Ramnode, Racknerd - all I've got quick support under 30 minutes to 6 hours and at dirt cheap price. For mere $2 a month Buyvm even hand-holded some of my task. Gone are the days when LE hosts could argue that since they're LE their customers should wait for 48 hours or 3 days for support or expect zero support on weekends. Now the market is competitive and so customers are getting quite quicker support. Those who don't provide such support are left behind. Just like @mansoor said, if the client is having reseller account we can't appear to be sleeping for 3 days if our upstream provider does not responds to the tickets.

• shared hosting business profiting rate higher than inflation!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JasonM said: one are the days when LE hosts could argue that since they're LE their customers should wait for 48 hours or 3 days for support or expect zero support on weekends.

You new here? There's plenty of threads from popular providers on here where they don't reply to things for weeks/months. Hell, people still think @cociu is going to return from the dead.

Francisco

Thanked by 2vyas11 dgc1980
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@Francisco said:

@JasonM said: one are the days when LE hosts could argue that since they're LE their customers should wait for 48 hours or 3 days for support or expect zero support on weekends.

You new here? There's plenty of threads from popular providers on here where they don't reply to things for weeks/months. Hell, people still think @cociu is going to return from the dead.

Francisco

It’s because of the Un-banning effect.

Plus Halloween is not too far.

• @Lex said:

@mansoor said:
    @Lex I have accounts with myw.pt. Unfortunately, its a one man show. When he is sleeping, support is sleeping. When you are hosting other peoples site (Reseller) you need support. For personal sites myw.pt is good but as a reseller business, not a great option.

That's the best one man show I've seen!
    It depends what are your expectations with the "Support"
    If it's something from their side, 100% agree they should be able to fix any issue 1 hour or less. Like IDK, websites don't load, panel doesn't load, and it's a general outage not just from your IP cause you logged with an incorrect password 15 times and got blocked.

If you require hand-holding with a wordpress installation, or that you have no idea how to change the php version, that's not urgent by any means and you should be more than grateful with a 48 hour reply time frame. You can't ask for that kind of support, a good service and low price. It's that kind of triangle where you can only pick two!

I have Redhat linux admin certification and manage multiple VPSes that I bought here on LET. However, when your websites are all down and you don't have the root password, you are at the mercy of the host to respond. I have had a couple of incidents here on LET where the hosts (one man show) did not respond for 3-4 days.

• @JasonM said:

Hostmantis have already gone beyond LE(T) limits in terms of pricing. Their pricing will soon match premium providers like Liquid Web/Rackspace!!!!!

@Lex said: that's not urgent by any means and you should be more than grateful with a 48 hour reply time frame. You can't ask for that kind of support, a good service and low price. It's that kind of triangle where you can only pick two!

but with BuyVM's Buyshared, Ramnode, Racknerd - all I've got quick support under 30 minutes to 6 hours and at dirt cheap price. For mere $2 a month Buyvm even hand-holded some of my task. Gone are the days when LE hosts could argue that since they're LE their customers should wait for 48 hours or 3 days for support or expect zero support on weekends. Now the market is competitive and so customers are getting quite quicker support. Those who don't provide such support are left behind. Just like @mansoor said, if the client is having reseller account we can't appear to be sleeping for 3 days if our upstream provider does not responds to the tickets.

@BuyShared, response time great, price point great, server performance fair
    @Ramnode, no white label reseller option
    @RackNerd, response time great, price point great, server performance good
    @Mantis, response time great, price point fair, server performance excellent

• @mansoor said:

@JasonM said:

@BuyShared, response time great, price point great, server performance fair
    @Ramnode, no white label reseller option
    @RackNerd, response time great, price point great, server performance good
    @Mantis, response time great, price point fair, server performance excellent

@RackNerd gives free Clientexec
    @HostMantis gives free Blesta
    @BuyShared free Blesta or was it there VPS brand?
    @RamNode ??

• I'm not sure if any of you received server migration emails?

As part of migration to newer servers (upgrading of specs), they have also downgraded from MariaDB to MySQL with no warning, no notice, no announcement whatsoever!

I am planning to look for an alternative reseller that is comparable to HostMantis. Please shout out if you have any recommendations!

• @vyas11 said:
    Is @HostMantis still around in LET? or have they left the building?

@HostMantis seems to check in every now and then (Last Active October 16), but given that their last post was in July 2019, I wouldn't expect them to react to anything.

• Mantis goes wild

• @hopnorth1 said:
    I'm not sure if any of you received server migration emails?

As part of migration to newer servers (upgrading of specs), they have also downgraded from MariaDB to MySQL with no warning, no notice, no announcement whatsoever!

I am planning to look for an alternative reseller that is comparable to HostMantis. Please shout out if you have any recommendations!

Which MySQL version?
    And what control panel hosting are you using (cPanel, or DirectAdmin)?

• @bikegremlin said:

@hopnorth1 said:
    I'm not sure if any of you received server migration emails?

Which MySQL version?
    And what control panel hosting are you using (cPanel, or DirectAdmin)?

MySQL8 on DirectAdmin afaik, not sure if cPanel is following.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Their reply was that Mysql is recommended by cPanel.

Should MariaDB become the default or recommended database server, they will consider changing to MariaDB.

Their new servers are running cPanel version 100, CloudLinux 8 and MySQL 8.0

Thanked by 2webcraft bikegremlin
  • With the sudden price hikes, sudden server changes and sudden resource changes, its hard to keep up and i love their service in the past, but now it may be the time to give it a thought to move on

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @hopnorth1 said:
    With the sudden price hikes, sudden server changes and sudden resource changes, its hard to keep up and i love their service in the past, but now it may be the time to give it a thought to move on

Are you having any problems with MySQL change?
    I'm using WordPress primarily, but not exclusively.

Over the past years, I did manually move websites from MySQL to MariaDB, but never did a reversed-migration.

• @hopnorth1 said:
    With the sudden price hikes, sudden server changes and sudden resource changes, its hard to keep up and i love their service in the past, but now it may be the time to give it a thought to move on

Which problems does this create for you? Their new systems are working great for me, similar outstanding performance and everything up to date.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Idk why but I have always just preferred mariadb and currently run mariadb 10.6 instead of mysql 8

• edited November 2021

@ezeth said:
    Idk why but I have always just preferred mariadb and currently run mariadb 10.6 instead of mysql 8

Cause its lite and faster perhaps? :-)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Hmmm from what a lot of posters are saying, if their habit is to raise prices every year, I wouldn't stick with their services.