Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ The IPv6 outage thread - September edition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The IPv6 outage thread - September edition

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
edited September 2021 in Outages

Many VPS customers and providers don't really seem to care about IPv6 and consider IPv6 connectivity some kind of free addon without any SLA. Still, most of them manage to fix IPv6 issues within few hours to days. Some don't.

I do care about IPv6, because I can't be arsed to pay 150 bucks a month to lease an IPv4 subnet for my ASN. Therefore, an IPv6 outage is a complete downtime in my book. I've compiled a list of providers and (IPv6) outages I experienced this month which may or may not be helpful for other people to decide which provider they'll go with.

๐Ÿคท GreenCloudVPS - Their upstream in Hanoi, VN does have a broken IPv6 implementation for months and has not yet managed to fix it. GreenCloud has, however, been very responsive, explained the situation and offered to migrate my VPS to any other of their APAC locations. I've decided to stay in Vietnam because of the latency from VN to Singapore or Hong Kong, but thumbs up for providing a possible solution!

โœ… HostHatch - They had an IPv6 outage in Singapore which was resolved within 4 hours after I opened a ticket. No thumbs up here since my other ticket asking for a BGP session is open for three weeks now.

โœ… M247 - They had a IPv6 routing issue between two of their locations (Oslo + Manchester). Getting in touch with them was a bit difficult since their support seems to be unable to forward my ticket to their NOC. After opening a second ticket with their NOC, the issue was resolved in less than 48h (I contacted them on a Sunday).

โœ… WebHorizon - They expanded to Tokio and I grabbed an IPv6-only OVZ and... IPv6 connectivity was broken. But Abdullah was really helpful and responsive, as always, so we got that sorted out in less than 24h.

โœ… WebHorizon (2) - IPv6 (and NAT IPv4) were changed in Dronten, NL. I didn't receive any notice beforehand but was able to get the new IPs from their panel.

โœ… CrownCloud - They performed planned maintenance wich was announced via email but was rescheduled later without sending another email (at least I didn't receive any). Getting IPv6 back up and running took a bit longer than the maintenance window but their support was very responsive all the time and everything seemed to be handled in a professional way.

๐Ÿ”ป Hosterlabs - ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ

๐Ÿ”ป ๐Ÿคท HostSlick - According to my Smokeping instance, packet loss started to go up on Sep. 17th and IPv6 connectivity dropped completely 48h later. I've opened a ticket on Sep. 19th and got a response that they were working on it, but IPv6 is still down until today.

EDIT: They responded shortly after opening this thread, made some adjustments and were able to solve the issue. Apparently, Virtualizor messed up the config. Deleting and re-adding the IPv6 addresses worked miracles.

โœ… mrvm - IPv6 connectivity dropped in Atlanta but came back few hours later. Most likely an upstream issue.

๐Ÿคท Host Hong Kong - It feels like their IPv6 subnet disappears from the DFZ every second month. This time it reappeared in less than 12h.

โœ… Hostodo - IPv6 connectivity dropped on Monday (Sep 27th) and came back ~40 hours later.

I also bought (way too many...) new VPS from the following providers in September and IPv6 was working flawlessly right from the beginning (no particular order): Inception Hosting, ApeWeb, FranTech/BuyVM, Owned Networks, SmartHost, FreeRangeCloud, HostBastic, First Root, Terrahost, Limitless Hosting

... and it's not even Black Friday yet. :no_mouth:

ยซ1

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@brueggus said:
    โœ… Hostodo - IPv6 connectivity dropped on Monday (Sep 27th) and came back ~40 hours later.

I was pondering why my I <3 Tostada special (in Miami) is misbehaving this week.
    Native IPv6 goes in and out, while IPv4 is stable.
    I'm still seeing a lot more NDP entries than other servers.

Thanked by 2brueggus Ganonk
  • Great overview, thanks a lot. Let IPv4 die as fast as possible o:)

Thanked by 2brueggus bulbasaur
  • IPV6 outage even happened for me in free tier of oracle this month. And as I'm using their service as a monitoring tool so i know that outage took exactly 83 minutes to be resolved.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@brueggus said: Therefore, an IPv6 outage is a complete downtime in my book

I can't speak for others but I'd treat a v6 outage the same as v4 outage. But we use Clouviders network for a lot of stuff and they run stuff properly so I'm sure they'd treat it the same.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I want both v4 and v6 to die equally.

We need something new other than v6.

• @deank said:

How about v666?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@brueggus said: Hostodo - IPv6 connectivity dropped on Monday (Sep 27th) and came back ~40 hours later.

That's on me in Vegas. We were helping them setup connectivity and I only got IPV4 sorted that night. Took a bit of time to get the V6 side sorted due to prefix list updates.

Glad everythings flawless on the BuyVM side. Give our routed ranges a shot if you can find a use for it :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • I will not be adding outages, but where IPv6 has worked flawlessly for me are the following providers (and locations):

• InceptionHosting (Amsterdam, NL)
    • AlphaVPS (Sofia, BG)
    • Nexrill (Dallas, TX, US)

Maybe someone will find the information useful. Mind that the list ofc isn't exhaustive, and that the monitoring/use time spans are from 5-10 months.

• @brueggus said:
    ๐Ÿ”ป Hosterlabs - ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanked by 1rhinoduck
  • itoito Member, Host Rep

I am currently using
    SpartanHost's Seattle ($20 one-time)
    and
    melbicom Singapore (5 Euros per month)

Enough for me 5/48 and 1/44 to broadcast.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I hereby created a new tag "IPv6 Advocate" for @yoursunny and @brueggus for pushing forward, bringing awareness and sharing knowledge on IPv6! :)

(If you are found to connect to LET via IPv4, the tag will be revoked)

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2021

@HostSlick just advanced from ๐Ÿ”ป to ๐Ÿคท and I've updated the first post.

They responded to my ticket some minutes ago and were able to get me up and running again.
    I obviously can't peek behind the scenes, but it seems like a Virtualizor bug which broke my VPS' config. They did some magic and after deleting and re-adding my IPv6 address in Virtualizor, everything works fine again.

• I am using HyperExpert and no problem in the last 2 years.

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited September 2021

@FAT32 said:
    I hereby created a new tag "IPv6 Advocate" for @yoursunny and @brueggus for pushing forward, bringing awareness and sharing knowledge on IPv6! :)

if we are talking about tags, then let me propose to honor @stevewatson301 's great benchmarking expertise and community engagement

we all remember his fight for truth at his exposing pseudo "benchmark" vpsbench scam thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173716/jsg-the-server-review-king-can-you-trust-him-is-yabs-misleading-you/p1

and outcome from that thread should not only be abdication of the false king... we need something more...

so I'd like to be able toast: long live for our new "Server Review King" @stevewatson301

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited September 2021

In my use, I think BuyVM has the best IPv6 experience, many providers don't provide Routed Prefix by default, so even if I give it to me/32 I don't useful for it.

How did you get your IPv6 Advocate tag?

• @mcgree said:
    How did you get your IPv6 Advocate tag?

It's literally quoted in the post above yours.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@007sascha said:
    Great overview, thanks a lot. Let IPv4 die as fast as possible o:)

Yeah right because, as this very thread shows, IPv6 works so great and reliably...

Don't get me wrong, I think that if a provider does offer IPv6 then they should do it properly and offer good reliability. But calling for the death of IP4 in a thread whose very topic is (at least in part) lack of reliability and proper function of IPv6 is a bit weird.

Thanked by 1tetech
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited September 2021

@mcgree said:
    BuyVM has the best IPv6 experience, many providers don't provide Routed Prefix by default

Webhosting24 @tomazu has routed prefix too, and it's a service I can actually afford (โ‚ฌ10/year for 1GB).

Routed IPv6 Hall of Fame

• TunnelBroker
    • BuyVM
    • GINERNET
    • Terrahost
    • webhosting24
    • Zappie Host
    • QuickPacket
    • Central Server Solutions
    • Linode

Include routed IPv6, at least /64 subnet, to get listed.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Good that we got IPv4, right.
    Run dual stack, use bird, changes route in a few seconds, you won't notice a thing.

2021 and IPv6 is still experimental, we are so fucked.

• @brueggus said: โœ… HostHatch - They had an IPv6 outage in Singapore which was resolved within 4 hours after I opened a ticket. No thumbs up here since my other ticket asking for a BGP session is open for three weeks now.

What's the status with IPv6 in Sydney these days?

• @brueggus you mean your sites can only be accessed via IPv6 and anyone with IPv4 w/o dual stack can't view it?

• @yoursunny said:

@mcgree said:
    BuyVM has the best IPv6 experience, many providers don't provide Routed Prefix by default

Webhosting24 @tomazu has routed prefix too, and it's a service I can actually afford (โ‚ฌ10/year for 1GB).

Routed IPv6 Hall of Fame

• TunnelBroker
    • BuyVM
    • GINERNET
    • Terrahost
    • webhosting24
    • Zappie Host
    • QuickPacket
    • Central Server Solutions

Include routed IPv6, at least /64 subnet, to get listed.

by default...

I know that Linode can also apply for Routed Prefix.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • mcgreemcgree Member
    edited September 2021

@FAT32 said:

It would be nice to show the IP I am accessing on the LET, at least I am accessing it via IPv6 and it is my own IPv6.

4IVzh4.png

• @FAT32 said:

Congratulations for @yoursunny and @brueggus of iPv6 Advocate

• @jsg said:

@007sascha said:

Yeah right because, as this very thread shows, IPv6 works so great and reliably...

Don't get me wrong, I think that if a provider does offer IPv6 then they should do it properly and offer good reliability. But calling for the death of IP4 in a thread whose very topic is (at least in part) lack of reliability and proper function of IPv6 is a bit weird.

The problem is not with IPv6, the problem is with providers that can not or will not provide it properly. The death of IP4 would force those providers to step up their game and sort out the ones that can't deliver, so I think it is a reasonable thing to hope for.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rcy026 said: The problem is not with IPv6, the problem is with providers that can not or will not provide it properly. The death of IP4 would force those providers to step up their game and sort out the ones that can't deliver, so I think it is a reasonable thing to hope for.

Keep dreaming.

The big clouds/etc are betting against it. AWS has bought close to 1.5M IP's this month alone.

Francisco

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@tetech said:

@brueggus said: โœ… HostHatch - They had an IPv6 outage in Singapore which was resolved within 4 hours after I opened a ticket. No thumbs up here since my other ticket asking for a BGP session is open for three weeks now.

What's the status with IPv6 in Sydney these days?

Small hiccup last night, but besides that I'd say it runs more stable than ever since HH announced they won't support IPv6 in Sydney any longer.

@Kassem said:
    @brueggus you mean your sites can only be accessed via IPv6 and anyone with IPv4 w/o dual stack can't view it?

I don't run that may websites, most servers serve my personal entertainment. And while most servers still have an IPv4 address, all backend and "management stuff" (SSH, monitoring, backups, ...) runs over IPv6.

@Francisco said: Give our routed ranges a shot if you can find a use for it

I would, if I didn't announce my own ranges. :) Kudos for providing BGP for free and pretty much out of the box!

Thanked by 3Francisco Kassem adly
  • @rhinoduck said:

@deank said:

How about v666?

The end is nigh (for IPv4).

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rcy026 said:

@jsg said:

@007sascha said:

The problem is not with IPv6, the problem is with providers that can not or will not provide it properly. The death of IP4 would force those providers to step up their game and sort out the ones that can't deliver, so I think it is a reasonable thing to hope for.

OK, how about turning this around: The problem is not with IP4, the problem is with organizations that can not or will not handle address resources properly. The death of IPv6 would force those organizations to step up their game and sort out the ones that don't, so I think it is a reasonable thing to hope for.

Feels O.K.? Or is such a view construct suddenly bad/wrong/inacceptable?

Had the IP4 successor been properly designed by engineers that is, had it been but a reasonably sized extension of address space plus a few sensible and really needed small changes ... that successor would already be in wide use and accepted by the vast majority.

IPv6 however not so much. Even "they WILL have to swallow it once IP4 space is depleted" didn't work out so well and people resisted for decades.

At the end of the day it's simple: Virtually everybody has understood that we do need something beyond today's IP4, that's not the contention. The contention is because IPv6 bloody obviously is not a good solution and not even an acceptable one to many people.

And your POV (like many IPv6 proponents) simply is "accept it or die!"? - what a poor attitude.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2021

@Francisco said:

@rcy026 said: The problem is not with IPv6, the problem is with providers that can not or will not provide it properly. The death of IP4 would force those providers to step up their game and sort out the ones that can't deliver, so I think it is a reasonable thing to hope for.

Keep dreaming.

The big clouds/etc are betting against it. AWS has bought close to 1.5M IP's this month alone.

Francisco

Without knowing how often they've previously purchased, you can't draw that conclusion.e.g., they have been buying 2+M per months for previous decade... (I have no idea, just sayin' it could be a significant drop and actually mean the opposite of what you said). And also what their actual usage numbers are. They have growth expectations and years of planning to ensure they don't get stuck short and lose business to competition.