Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel pricing - 2022 edition - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel pricing - 2022 edition

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vero said: You are perfectly aware, that different providers are getting different DA pricing.

Sure? there's tiers on cPanel too. I'm pretty confident that the providers with enough cPanel licenses can push them a bit to get a bit better than what's public pricing.

I get your annoyance though, I remember it from another thread :)

Francisco

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2021

few world's top providers haven't increased their cpanel-vps, or shared pricing during 2019's cpanel price increase. some even sell up to 400 cpanel a/c inside WHM in with old pricing. but this number is quite limited to topmost players. It seems they must have got 'special' pricing at account-level.

Also like Verisign will be increasing .COM domain pricing by 7% may be every alternate year, same might happen with cPanel every 2-3 years.

But this can also give rise to those illegal so-called shared cpanel licenses? Recently seeing sites popping up on Google Ads selling such stuff, and even people opening threads on forums regarding the same!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@interservermike said:

Admin $13.50 > $15
    Pro $19 > $21
    Plus $27 > $30
    Premier $34.50 > $38
    Over 100 accounts: $.175 > $.20

Looks like a 10% increase.

Ouch. Now that stings.

How long until some part of the market shifts to other alternatives.

@raindog308 sounds like it's time for another YouTube video about cpanel!

I should add that this price increase has nothing to do about increased costs and everything to do with growing the top line and expanding margins. It's a business move and that is all.

Thanked by 1Arkas

@jbiloh said:
    I should add that this price increase has nothing to do about increased costs and everything to do with growing the top line and expanding margins. It's a business move and that is all.

It's also annual now. Their FAQ page states that they'll do yearly reevaluations of their pricing.

I think they'll tick up to $0.50/month per account in small bits. 5%, maybe 10% if they change the font size on the page OnApp style. Even at $0.50/month, high priced hosts probably won't care.

Much of the market is made up of high priced shared hosting that people are fine paying. Look at most registrar's out there that offer hosting. It's $4/month or more at minimum. Even Porkbun is $10/month for cPanel:

https://porkbun.com/products/webhosting/cPanelHosting

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said:

It's also annual now. Their FAQ page states that they'll do yearly reevaluations of their pricing.

I think they'll tick up to $0.50/month per account in small bits. 5%, maybe 10% if they change the font size on the page OnApp style. Even at $0.50/month, high priced hosts probably won't care.

Much of the market is made up of high priced shared hosting that people are fine paying. Look at most registrar's out there that offer hosting. It's $4/month or more at minimum. Even Porkbun is $10/month for cPanel:

https://porkbun.com/products/webhosting/cPanelHosting

Francisco

This strategy of price increases was decided years ago internally at cpanel. There was a group internally that fought against it and lost. Expect much more in the years to come, I sense.

• Blind Freddy could have seen this coming

@jbiloh said: This strategy of price increases was decided years ago internally at cpanel. There was a group internally that fought against it and lost. Expect much more in the years to come, I sense.

Is that how it went down? Would make sense.

Yep, I expect it to be yearly for the next 5 years at minimum.

Really, if you're a premium webhost you're putting maybe 100 - 200 users per node, maybe less. You're probably fitting into the pre-bundles already, so you're going up $3 - $5/month here/there. If you're making $500/month+ on that node, does that bit more matter?

Honestly, this only really screws the 'cheap reseller' companies. If you look at any of the bigger companies out there they normally charge a fortune for a reseller.

Namecheap - $20/month, 25 accounts
    Hostgator - $40/month, ?? account limit, can't find a figure?
    Crocweb - $15/month, 25 accounts

Most of these have a cheaper option if you pay yearly or more, but you get the picture.

Francisco

• I don't know about the ROW but in the UK, networks increase prices annually, mobile contracts, broadband, basically everything uses the CPIH which is around 3% annually.

I have no problem with cPanel increases, I do feel for very cheap hosts working on small margins, 2019 increase killed a few of them.

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said: This strategy of price increases was decided years ago internally at cpanel. There was a group internally that fought against it and lost. Expect much more in the years to come, I sense.

Is that how it went down? Would make sense.

Yep, I expect it to be yearly for the next 5 years at minimum.

Really, if you're a premium webhost you're putting maybe 100 - 200 users per node, maybe less. You're probably fitting into the pre-bundles already, so you're going up $3 - $5/month here/there. If you're making $500/month+ on that node, does that bit more matter?

Honestly, this only really screws the 'cheap reseller' companies. If you look at any of the bigger companies out there they normally charge a fortune for a reseller.

Namecheap - $20/month, 25 accounts
    Hostgator - $40/month, ?? account limit, can't find a figure?
    Crocweb - $15/month, 25 accounts

Most of these have a cheaper option if you pay yearly or more, but you get the picture.

Francisco

I can't say for sure, so don't take it as gospel but that information comes from folks who were part of the discussions.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited September 2021

I have a big problem convincing my clients to move away from Cpanel. But so far, I have kind of forced DA on them, some left, most stayed. So DA is working for me for now. I simply don't have the margins to keep Cpanel because I'd end up eating the costs otherwise, I'd lose even more customers If I pass down the price increase.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@vero said:

@Francisco said:

Not heard about this but wouldn't be surprised. Inflations at 4 - 5% in Canada

And they also have to pay billions for those abused in residential school times. So it's understandable, nation needs income.

You are perfectly aware, that different providers are getting different DA pricing. It would have been ok, if not such an awkward implementation - creating rules on the go, informing some, others not, creating preferences and thus distorting market. By offering cPanel, you can at least theoretically expect, that someone around the corner won't offer it for a quarter of the price you get.

I don't really care about either one, just for those running from cPanel - don't expect to meet messiah in the form of control panel provider anywhere around.

This.

• I have been reach many small to middle size companies last few months. They paid 200-500usd per year for static pages.

Maybe only LETer is concerned about the license price... a good business decisions for them indeed.

@elliotc said:
    I have been reach many small to middle size companies last few months. They paid 200-500usd per year for static pages.

Maybe only LETer is concerned about the license price... a good business decisions for them indeed.

The vast majority of cpanel customers will barely notice and just move on.

The biggest hit will be hosters.

• cPanel officially became a partner in the profits of companies. The cPanel policy is pretty bad and they will regret it in the coming years.

• @vero said:

@Francisco said:

Not heard about this but wouldn't be surprised. Inflations at 4 - 5% in Canada

And they also have to pay billions for those abused in residential school times. So it's understandable, nation needs income.

You're aware inflation isn't tax, right? You might want to look up what inflation means.

You are perfectly aware, that different providers are getting different DA pricing. It would have been ok, if not such an awkward implementation - creating rules on the go, informing some, others not, creating preferences and thus distorting market. By offering cPanel, you can at least theoretically expect, that someone around the corner won't offer it for a quarter of the price you get.

Different cPanel customers pay different amounts, too. Everyone works the way the more you buy the cheaper it gets and the bigger companies get better pricing. Wasn't there a cPanel reseller who sold it cheaper and had to be bought out?

I don't really care about either one, just for those running from cPanel - don't expect to meet messiah in the form of control panel provider anywhere around.

This comment is like a year or more late, when cPanel made earlier increases and many LET providers switched to DA and helped direct feature updates in DA.

edited September 2021

@TimboJones said: This comment is like a year or more late, when cPanel made earlier increases and many LET providers switched to DA and helped direct feature updates in DA.

There's been no confirmation of any changes on DA's side, just that it'd make sense if they did.

They're still coming out MUCH cheaper than cPanel. A solo license is $16/month with cPanel, while Directadmin is... $2.00/month.

Even if DA moved up to $7.00 - $8.00 /month on DC licenses it'd still be very affordable.

Francisco

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:
    This comment is like a year or more late, when cPanel made earlier increases and many LET providers switched to DA and helped direct feature updates in DA.

I was saying more or less the same last year.

What kind of feature updates were those? And who are these many LET providers?

edited September 2021

@vero said: What kind of feature updates were those? And who are these many LET providers?

To be fair the DA feedback thread I setup on here hopefully helped DA to reach out to the community with their goals and what peoples wishes are. If anything that thread should be even more important now with the yearly price adjustments.

@jbiloh @raindog308 would that thread be worthy of a pin or is it too busy up top already? I'm guessing you're maybe saving some pin space for the holidays?

Francisco

• @vero said:

@TimboJones said:

I was saying more or less the same last year.

What kind of feature updates were those? And who are these many LET providers?

Search for the massive DA feature thread. You'll find Francisco one of the many LET providers in that thread with tons of involvement and feedback.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:
    Search for the massive DA feature thread. You'll find Francisco one of the many LET providers in that thread with tons of involvement and feedback.

Well, Francisco and DA is everywhere around LET :) Few (2?) strong providers here that support DA and it looks like everyone is craving that peace of software. And it might be good enough, but since one will be involved in forecasting product owner's moods regarding price adjustments, he might be getting himself 2nd cPanel.

When and if DA gains all the functionality of cPanel, it is not realistic to expect enormous price differences. And if cPanel reduces price after that, you'll run back? Will you close your eyes on competing hosts owning bunches of DA lifetime licenses or receiving them for pennies? And these will be not market giants (like in case with cPanel), but small players like many of us. I am not saying one shouldn't look for options to avoid overpaying, but those options should be well weighted considering market conjuncture.

• I have nothing to do but laugh as they claim those features are like amazing when most of panels have had them for months or years, I can't name an outstanding feature cPanel has released since it got adquired, the File Mananager is still not even responsive.

I can't believe DirectAdmin hasn't released a transfer tool to migrate from cPanel using rsync

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @desfire said: I can't believe DirectAdmin hasn't released a transfer tool to migrate from cPanel using rsync

this is what I also want.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@desfire said:
    I can't believe DirectAdmin hasn't released a transfer tool to migrate from cPanel using rsync

Even between DA servers would be nice.

Thanked by 1Arkas