Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel pricing - 2022 edition - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel pricing - 2022 edition

Comments

• @Radi said:
    So what's the viable alternative? Directadmin?

Feature wise DA is even better as it allow to differentiate, and make better service than standard cPanel hosting :smiley:

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

Feature wise DA is even better as it allow to differentiate, and make better service than standard cPanel hosting :smiley:

Differentiate what? Can you explain what do you mean?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

DA is a fine alternative.

The issue is that some people cannot adjust to the change. Cpanel is banking on those people.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • @Daniel15 said:

@Lee said: Not sure why anyone would be surprised by this. Annual increases were clearly the way forward.

Right... Annual increases are common in many industries so I'm not sure why it's a surprise? I agree that they overcharge, but the company would be experiencing rising costs too (salaries, property taxes, utilities like electricity and water, etc all go up year over year) and they likely want to keep at least the same margins to make investors happy.

Sorry but i don't think annual increase needed for a software-type product such as cpanel. If it's your basic needs products (potato, rice, vegetables, oil, etc) then it's understandable, but software?

So adobe and windows should raise their price yearly? or any wordpress themes and plugins? or anything else similar really.

They're a product with a hefty price margin applied already, this is just their way to squeeze more from their customers IMO.

Thanked by 2mustafamw3 estnoc
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2021

@Radi said:

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

Just quick few ideas:

Well offer it with nginx proxy and customer can switch to pure Nginx with the templates rewrite url ready made templates which is the way more advanced than cPanel latest Nginx Proxy

Offer the service with Ubuntu + Ryzen to take advantage of the 5.11 kernel which makes AMD Faster
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux511-regress-over

this is from 5.10 / 5.9 kernels from 4 series it is maybe more than 10%

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

@Lee said: Not sure why anyone would be surprised by this. Annual increases were clearly the way forward.

Right... Annual increases are common in many industries so I'm not sure why it's a surprise? I agree that they overcharge, but the company would be experiencing rising costs too (salaries, property taxes, utilities like electricity and water, etc all go up year over year) and they likely want to keep at least the same margins to make investors happy.

You mean like Walmart.. but they are not, they are like Microsoft.. selling a software.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2021

All commercial panels will follow as they do the same as any mobile/cellular providers do adjust cost due to inflation and any other excuses.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

Just quick few ideas:

Well offer it with nginx proxy and customer can switch to pure Nginx with the templates rewrite url ready made templates which is the way more advanced than cPanel latest Nginx Proxy

Offer the service with Ubuntu + Ryzen to take advantage of the 5.11 kernel which makes AMD Faster

Dunno, I haven't tried the default implementation. We have custom setup as well, which works and everyone is happy - Litespeed + HHVM. :smile:

Thanked by 1coolice
  • From their FAQ

My small shared hosting business is no longer cost-effective, what should I do?

As a business owner, you have several avenues available to you with regard to how to manage this price adjustment. Some of the options available include passing the cost directly on to the end-users by increasing prices, leveraging creative marketing ideas to create fair use policies, and offering value-adding upsells to customers to increase revenue.

This made me lol

"leveraging creative marketing ideas to create fair use policies"

Thanked by 2webcraft default
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

so we expecting another 5 - 10% next year too?

Francisco

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

@asaljeplak said: Sorry but i don't think annual increase needed for a software-type product such as cpanel. If it's your basic needs products (potato, rice, vegetables, oil, etc) then it's understandable, but software?

So adobe and windows should raise their price yearly

I'm not saying it's the right thing, just that it's common. For enterprise-type software in particular, it's definitely very common for prices to increase during contract renewals. They take advantage of the fact that it's a lot of effort to migrate to something else.

• @Daniel15 said:
    They take advantage of the fact that it's a lot of effort to migrate to something else.

couldn't agree more on this part, migration is painful for most people

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@asaljeplak said:
    Sorry but i don't think annual increase needed for a software-type product such as cpanel. If it's your basic needs products (potato, rice, vegetables, oil, etc) then it's understandable, but software?

Devs pay more for rise, you pay more for software.

Many web hosting businesses make little sense or add negligible overall value; such price increases just make things more obvious.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited September 2021

@vero said:

@asaljeplak said:

Many web hosting businesses make little sense or add negligible overall value; such price increases just make things more obvious.

Definitely agree with this. So many hosts just rent a server, install cPanel on it, and sell hosting. No value-add services (like phone support, migration assistance, etc), and thus no differentiation from the huge number of other cookie-cutter cPanel hosts. It's a hugely competitive industry and you need to differentiate yourself in some way to stay relevant.

• @JabJab said:
    Pricing Questions
    What is the license pricing for store customers as of January 1, 2022?
    The exact increase depends on the specific product. The 2022 Store Licensing Guides can be downloaded here.

Perfect :-D

Costs $404.

• @Radi said:

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

@coolice said:

@Radi said:

Just quick few ideas:

Dunno, I haven't tried the default implementation. We have custom setup as well, which works and everyone is happy - Litespeed + HHVM. :smile:

:smiley: That is differentiation but your potential customers got to know about that

I'll write you more about differentiation in the other forums :) when I have time (in a couple of days)

• @asaljeplak said:

@Daniel15 said:

So adobe and windows should raise their price yearly? or any wordpress themes and plugins? or anything else similar really.

They're a product with a hefty price margin applied already, this is just their way to squeeze more from their customers IMO.

When you get older, you'll learn about business.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • @Saahib said:

@Daniel15 said:

You mean like Walmart.. but they are not, they are like Microsoft.. selling a software.

The average salary and skill at Microsoft > Wal-Mart.

Are people intentionally being obtuse or just confusing wishes and reality?

• @Francisco said:
    so we expecting another 5 - 10% next year too?

❝The team of a highly-skilled creative marketing managers is constantly reassessing the pricing to ensure the adjustments are value-adding.❞

In sane human language that means yes, cPanel price increases are annual:

Annual cPanel price increase

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My small shared hosting business is no longer cost-effective, what should I do?

As a business owner, you have several avenues available to you with regard to how to manage this price adjustment. The most logical is to stop using cPanel and migrate your customers to DirectAdmin.

Thanked by 2eris Intelpentium0
  • @TimboJones said:

@asaljeplak said:

@Daniel15 said:

Sorry wise guy, any other example of software price with annually increase price?

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @asaljeplak said:

@TimboJones said:

@asaljeplak said:

@Daniel15 said:

Sorry wise guy, any other example of software price with annually increase price?

Lots? But surely you're not arguing all software is the same effort, complexity, support and value. That would mean you really don't understand business. Or software. Or needs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: But surely you're not arguing all software is the same effort, complexity, support and value.

I agree. But at the same time, I would not say that cPanel's software development justifies this level of increase (cumulative with recent years) compared to other, far more complex software products.

Another point would be that their costs have increased far more regularly after they were acquired by a venture capital firm than when they were a standalone entity.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I was chatting with DA guys last week and they are also increasing prices of the $5 DC license.

@noobjockeys said:
    I was chatting with DA guys last week and they are also increasing prices of the $5 DC license.

Oh, really? Your turn finally. When this change is going to take place? :D

• my license at jones will increase +$5 :'(

cPanel Premier Cloud or Metal ( Up to 100 Accounts ) = $42.95/mo (current)

cPanel Premier Cloud or Metal ( Up to 100 Accounts ) = $47.95/mo (new 2022)

• Look> @TimboJones said:

@asaljeplak said:

@TimboJones said:

@asaljeplak said:

@Daniel15 said:

Lots? But surely you're not arguing all software is the same effort, complexity, support and value. That would mean you really don't understand business. Or software. Or needs.

I'm not arguing the effort, complexity, etc behind it, and yes every software has it's own challenge, but the annual increase itself.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@noobjockeys said:
    I was chatting with DA guys last week and they are also increasing prices of the $5 DC license.

Not heard about this but wouldn't be surprised. Inflations at 4 - 5% in Canada and the $5/m price has been around since the dawn of DA.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Let us blame Covid for this.

@Francisco said:

Not heard about this but wouldn't be surprised. Inflations at 4 - 5% in Canada

And they also have to pay billions for those abused in residential school times. So it's understandable, nation needs income.

You are perfectly aware, that different providers are getting different DA pricing. It would have been ok, if not such an awkward implementation - creating rules on the go, informing some, others not, creating preferences and thus distorting market. By offering cPanel, you can at least theoretically expect, that someone around the corner won't offer it for a quarter of the price you get.

I don't really care about either one, just for those running from cPanel - don't expect to meet messiah in the form of control panel provider anywhere around.