Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the Best & Free Cpanel alternatives you already used? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the Best & Free Cpanel alternatives you already used?

13»

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

Honestly I don't trust many of the free ones because a lot of the ones I've looked at in the past don't have sufficient privilege separation, for example they run the entire panel as root rather than having the UI run as an unprivileged user which securely communicates with a backend service that's running as root only for the tasks that need root access. The entire panel UI running as root is scary since it makes the attack surface much larger, particularly if RCE (remote code execution) vulnerabilities are found.

ISP-Config was decent last time I checked, but that was many years ago.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Depends on project, virtualmin will do for managing one website, Plesk or any other commercial panels for multiple clients websites

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@DragonDF said:

@DewlanceVPS said:
    I used Webmin, Ajenti and CentOS Web Panel.

However, If I need to host only a few websites on the free control panel then I will choose LAMP Stack with Roundcube. :)

The name LAMP is an acronym of the following programs:
    Linux Operating System
    Apache HTTP Web Server
    MySQL/MariaDB database management system
    PHP programming language

What is the Linux OS you suggest?

And what about the RAM is necessary?

Currently, I am using CentOS but not recommended anymore. Maybe Ubuntu is a good option.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • If you need free, try : hestiacp, keyhelp
    Paid : DirectAdmin

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Cyberpanel, the dev confirmed in their official thread here that they engaged rack911 for a paid audit to remove all security issues.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @WebProject said:
    Depends on project, virtualmin will do for managing one website, Plesk or any other commercial panels for multiple clients websites

About Virtualmin:

Recommended System Specifications
    Automated installation requires a freshly installed, supported OS
    1 GB RAM (less for the --minimal installation), more is better
    1 GB free disk space, more for your domain data

So, it asks for 1 GB RAM for one website? I have 20 domains. :)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@DragonDF said:

@WebProject said:

About Virtualmin:

The minimum system requirements aren't for a single website - they are there to provide enough for a baseline, all the services required for a typical panel such as its user interface, database server, etc.

20 domains is a meaningless number unless you know what application you are running on said domains or something else.

1GB ram for 20 static HTML sites - probably overkill.
    1GB ram for 20 wordpress sites - yikes.

Thanked by 3vyas11 DragonDF Arkas
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2021

@DragonDF said:

@WebProject said:

About Virtualmin:

If low RAM is a mandatory requirement, then I suggest you take a look at webinoly. No GUI, LEMP stack and you can create multiple domains/ sites. Good documentation too. Can run a low traffic WordPress site with 256 MB RAM too on a HDD VPS

And yes, free.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Some of you ask about 'why not a VPS with 3GB RAM'?
    Because the cost of a VPS with 512Mb and a VPS with 1GB RAM is not the same of a VPS with 3GB RAM.

If I will need to pay more than I will pay yearly with Cpanel, what is the advantage?
    Yes, the learning I will have is good, I know.
    But I do not see a reason to migrate from a Cpanel to a VPS.

Maybe it would be much better to use another Hosting company with another Cheap panel.

What I really want is to NOT USE CPANEL any more.
    I think it is like when you have used Microsoft Office for 10 years and you do NOT like Microsoft company (for any reason) and you want to start to use LIBRE OFFICE or any other Free open source option.

And If I find a solution, maybe others can use the same solution.
    If a lot of people migrate from Cpanel , that company will think different about its price policy. Companies think in MONEY. But the market has a natural Schema and the KING is the client.

Have a nice week!
    And thank you all people that replied in this thread.

• CyberPanel

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • for personal websites (not as a reseller or hosting provider), I have found Hestia Control Panel super useful. I think SSL is a bit dodgy but it eventually works. Like I noted it worked for me on hompeage straightaway but on detailed posts pages after a few minutes. And you have to leave enforce ssl redirection unchecked. If I checked it, it doesnt work because of too many redirections.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • ElonBezosElonBezos Member
    edited October 2021

i've try aapanel, cyberpanel, cwp & directadmin, best for me is DA..

nothing bad with the rest panels,
    aapanel is simple and less ram consumption (still using it now) but unlike others it came with no support for multiple accounts such as reseller tier..

with DA & cwp you can install softaculous (if you cant live without it :) )..
    in my experience cwp consume quite a lot of ram but maybe that's only me & my setup..

for now i would recommend you to look for vps with free DA & softaculous from @Francisco , quite cheap regarding those freebies..

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Anybody thought about Froxlor? It's long established and let you modify the system however you want. On the one hand it leaves you with a lot of freedom but ok the other with a lot of work ofc. It does the basic stuff very reliable though.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Thank you for the new posts.
    But I'd like to ask you to show your experience X the RAM necessary to work fine the service to 20 domains. 5Gb HD.
    Some suggestions you gave are more expensive than using Cpanel yearly.

• @biangkerok said:
    i've try aapanel, cyberpanel, cwp & directadmin, best for me is DA..

nothing bad with the rest panels,
    aapanel is simple and less ram consumption (still using it now) but unlike others it came with no support for multiple accounts such as reseller tier..

with DA & cwp you can install softaculous (if you cant live without it :) )..
    in my experience cwp consume quite a lot of ram but maybe that's only me & my setup..

for now i would recommend you to look for vps with free DA & softaculous from @Francisco , quite cheap regarding those freebies..

@Francisco is not an option. By the way, thank you for your experience. :)
    About DirectAdmin, the problem is it is not free. And there is no free coffee.