Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosterlabs closing their VPS business -- apply for a refund now. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosterlabs closing their VPS business -- apply for a refund now.

Comments

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

What are the offers they were having
    I saw some offers for BF that was under 1$/m (monthly) including IPv4
    those offers are almost impossible to match

But I see others here talking about unlimited BW offers can someone share the offer details

We may do something since we are in Montreal

• edited September 2021

@servarica_hani said:

But I see others here talking about unlimited BW offers can someone share the offer details

Here is my plan that I had with them:

Product/Service: Budget Canadian VPS (KVM) - Budget Pro
    Domain: something.dumb
    Operating System: Linux Ubuntu 20.04 X86 64 Minimal Latest V1
    Extra IPv4 Address: 0
    Network Speed: 1Gbps
    First Payment Amount: $8.00
    Recurring Amount: $8.00
    Billing Cycle: Quarterly

Can't remember what the bandwidth limits were. I think 2 or 4TB

Edit: Just checked - it was 2TB limit

• MadSpriteMadSprite Member
    edited September 2021

I got these in Sept 2020, but as time flew by I noticed they heavily marked down bandwidth for every new offer sale, and general system specs dropped too.

CPU: 2
    Memory: 4GB
    Storage: 45GB
    Bandwidth: 10TB
    Hosting Provider: Hosterlabs.com
    Payment Cycle: Annually
    Price: $66.92
    Currency: USD

CPU: 1
    Memory: 512MB
    Storage: 10GB
    Bandwidth: 10TB
    Hosting Provider: Hosterlabs.com
    Payment Cycle: Annually
    Price: $15.89
    Currency: USD

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@NobodyInteresting said:

@servarica_hani said:

Do you remember Ram , CPU and Disk of the plan ?

• @servarica_hani said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@servarica_hani said:

Do you remember Ram , CPU and Disk of the plan ?

Unfortunately I do not. I only care about bandwidth and port speed, so thats what I usually remember

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My best plan from HosterLeft:

Order Number: 9598615183
    Product/Service: Premium Canadian VPS Linux (KVM) - Pro KVM Linux
    Domain: vps2
    Operating System: Linux Debian 10 X86 64 Gen2 V2
    Memory: 8GB Ram
    Disk Space: 105 GB
    CPU: 6
    Extra IP Adress [Requires Justification]: 0
    Network Speed: 1Gbps Unmetered
    Operating System:
    First Payment Amount: $6.90
    Recurring Amount: $6.90
    Billing Cycle: Annually

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3224302/#Comment_3224302

I guess the only provider that can match these specs is Involucrated Solutions.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:
    They're asking people to submit PayPal disputes? What benefit does that render them?

getting their paypal account suspended i guess

It's possible the account is $0 (they cashed out/ran dry) and chargebacks are allowed to put it negative. Users can get their cash back and paypal is potentially left holding the bag.

Paypal can 'we went in your favor but theres no cash to pay you' as well.

Francisco

Wait, isn't PayPal top dog because they are supposed to guarantee payment protection to the consumer and all that shit?

• @yoursunny said:

Operating System:

Sounds like it's all your fault. It's like you changed a monthly plan to annual but paid the same.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:
    They're asking people to submit PayPal disputes? What benefit does that render them?

It's possible the account is $0 (they cashed out/ran dry) and chargebacks are allowed to put it negative. Users can get their cash back and paypal is potentially left holding the bag.

Francisco

Hi there,

No, let me clarify the why. We are not allowed to have any cash on our PayPal account and each refund requires us to have a balance on PayPal. This means: We have to add for each refund a PayPal transaction that requires 6 work days. There is no intention to defraud PayPal here and yes our PayPal balance has at all times been zero because we have never been allowed to have any balance and thus we have always problems processing refunds. It would be wise to inform yourself of limitations we might run instead of speculating and denigrating or changing our intentions.

Simply put it is a lot less work for us and easier to manage. This also allow us to add the balance at once, once the refunds are done. We always kept and still keep 3-5 months of cash. Also because we have received massive amounts of spam via tickets and e-mail, PayPal helps us manage this on a better case to case basis.

We exited the business because of lack of time honestly and hard personal circumstances that do not allow me or the staff to offer the support we want.

The instability of the nodes is because people are abusing the VPS's but we are not performing the suspensions and also because of some maintenance done at the DC. Personal issues with VPS's may boil down to specific circumstances. All nodes are up and running, which is the important part for us.

Thanked by 1ruhnet
  • @JasonM said:

@bruh21 said: getting their paypal account suspended i guess

I smell so. Also, dispute will take much more time than just a refund.

We will attempt to accept all chargebacks as soon as we can, but we have our hands tied with PayPal that does not really help doing refunds. Although we have had the balance, PayPal has always made problems with refunds on our end and each day all balance gets pulled out of the account without any possibility of adding any cash.

We will allow a negative balance for all refunds and then pay it off.

• We did follow up on all what we said. But as said, personal important circumstances regarding severe illness have tied our hands here.

• HosterlabsHosterlabs Member
    edited September 2021

@brueggus said:
    This...

@Hosterlabs said: I will share with you what he have planned for this months:

Solved all ticket situations, fix all automation that might be failing and process refunds.
    Create a Gatsby Website
    Upgrade WHMCS
    Migrate servers to our own DC with our own equipment.
    Hire special support team.
    Add new servers and grow back.

...didn't age well. I can't find an official announcement, but I just got this in response to one of my tickets:

We will not longer be providing virtual servers and support thereof. Please contact us at [email protected] to help with refund requests.

Best Regards,

Hosterlabs Team

So... let's see how the refunds go.

Sorry we could not follow up on our promises on that end, we have indeed failed the community. I personally apologize for that, which was our intention and we were really working on a beautiful coded Gatsby website. But it is what it is.

I would like to clarify: there is 0 intention to defraud anyone.

edited September 2021

I would also like to appreciate the general honesty of everyone on the correct desired refund amount.

P.D. When accepting a dispute, we get PayPal errors. We will fund the account and process al refunds within 7 days.

• @Hosterlabs said:

@Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:

Francisco

Hi there,

No, let me clarify the why. We are not allowed to have any cash on our PayPal account and each refund requires us to have a balance on PayPal. This means: We have to add for each refund a PayPal transaction that requires 6 work days. There is no intention to defraud PayPal here and yes our PayPal balance has at all times been zero because we have never been allowed to have any balance and thus we have always problems processing refunds. It would be wise to inform yourself of limitations we might run instead of speculating and denigrating or changing our intentions.

Simply put it is a lot less work for us and easier to manage. This also allow us to add the balance at once, once the refunds are done. We always kept and still keep 3-5 months of cash. Also because we have received massive amounts of spam via tickets and e-mail, PayPal helps us manage this on a better case to case basis.

We exited the business because of lack of time honestly and hard personal circumstances that do not allow me or the staff to offer the support we want.

The instability of the nodes is because people are abusing the VPS's but we are not performing the suspensions and also because of some maintenance done at the DC. Personal issues with VPS's may boil down to specific circumstances. All nodes are up and running, which is the important part for us.

You also lose $20 per $3-5 dollar dispute people are going to open. I don't think that's a good way to refund all your customers.

edited September 2021

@drunkendog said:

@Hosterlabs said:

@Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:

Francisco

Hi there,

You also lose $20 per $3-5 dollar dispute people are going to open. I don't think that's a good way to refund all your customers.

That is not the case for us, this only happens if it is a dispute with the credit card provider.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2021

Maybe now would be a good time for @servarica_hani or @perennate to come with some refuge offers for all these affected clients.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Could you not have sold the business?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Hosterlabs said:
    I would also like to appreciate the general honesty of everyone on the correct desired refund amount.

P.D. When accepting a dispute, we get PayPal errors. We will fund the account and process al refunds within 7 days.

Hope that you complete refunds to all effected and good luck.

• For what it's worth - my refund via dispute got done in a matter of a few minutes.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@Hosterlabs said:

@Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:

Francisco

Hi there,

Hi, and wasn't there a way for those nodes to be transferred to another provider that can continue to keep them?

• Are you looking to sell? Can maybe help if your trying to exit in a respectful manner.

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited September 2021

@servarica_hani said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3187072#Comment_3187072
    I think this was their deal at the time. Dunno if you can match the $1/m paid yearly with same specs and unmetered BW.

EDIT: Sorry seems that wasnt it. Still looking for where I got the $12/yr deal I have with unmetered bandwidth.

EDIT2: Maybe it was this

IPv4: 1
    RAM: 512MB
    Space: 10GB NVMe
    CPU: 1 vCPU
    Speed: 1Gbps unmetered
    Price: 5$/Quarter (Additional Yearly Discounts)
    https://hosterlabs.net/panel/cart.php?a=add&pid=124
    Limited Stock to 6

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/169169/-canada-germany-ipv6-only-ipv4-ipv6-starting-at-4-quarter-new-servers#latest

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Hosterlabs said: All nodes are up and running, which is the important part for us.

That's what I get:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@bruh21 said:

@caracal said:

Francisco

Wait, isn't PayPal top dog because they are supposed to guarantee payment protection to the consumer and all that shit?

Theres been tons of cases, especially on these forums, where a host goes under and when the chargebacks start rolling Paypal states 'We sided in your favor but theres no funds to pay you back with'.

If they guaranteed a full unconditional account refund for everyone, no matter the status of the hosts paypal, that'd just lead to people spinning up companies to abuse and rob them.

There's plenty of hosts that Paypal has a constant 'hold' on their funds and only releases them after X days/months.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Arkas said:
    Could you not have sold the business?

In this business, the only thing actually worth money is the customerbase. And seeing the offers they used to run one could speculate that their customerbase is people that is used to get a lot of resources for very little money. That is not the kind of customers you want.

Thanked by 2MannDude Maounique
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2021

@rcy026 said: In this business, the only thing actually worth money is the customerbase. And seeing the offers they used to run one could speculate that their customerbase is people that is used to get a lot of resources for very little money. That is not the kind of customers you want.

From what I understand, it's the hardware and IPs where the value comes. A big chunk of customers will jump ship after a merger, especially if the new parent says, "Lol no" to honoring previous unsustainable deals.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @MannDude said:

@rcy026 said: In this business, the only thing actually worth money is the customerbase. And seeing the offers they used to run one could speculate that their customerbase is people that is used to get a lot of resources for very little money. That is not the kind of customers you want.

From what I understand, it's the hardware and IPs where the value comes. A big chunk of customers will jump ship after a merger, especially if the new parent says, "Lol no" to honoring previous unsustainable deals.

IP's, ok, there is some value, if they are owned.
    Hardware, not really. If it's owned, it's probably old. Companies lease or buy new to get all the warranties and exactly what they need. Besides, a newly started VPS hosting business probably just rent dedis or reseller accounts somewhere, I doubt they own the hardware.

And yes, you perfectly describe the problem with a lowend customerbase, hence why it would not be worth buying the company.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said:

Correct for most, yep. Even hardware is 'ebay value at best'.

Customers are just a nice addition. Most buy outs in the LE market lead to a 30 - 40% customer base loss.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MannDude adly
  • @Hosterlabs said:

@JasonM said:

@bruh21 said: getting their paypal account suspended i guess

I smell so. Also, dispute will take much more time than just a refund.

We will attempt to accept all chargebacks as soon as we can, but we have our hands tied with PayPal that does not really help doing refunds. Although we have had the balance, PayPal has always made problems with refunds on our end and each day all balance gets pulled out of the account without any possibility of adding any cash.

We will allow a negative balance for all refunds and then pay it off.

How about non-PayPal payments? I see we are supposed to leave a reply to the announcement email but is anyone ever going to answer to that? How are those payments being refunded because in case of a chargeback with the credit card company you'll end up paying an extra fee for that and me and you both want to avoid that.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:

Operating System:

Sounds like it's all your fault. It's like you changed a monthly plan to annual but paid the same.

I was a promotion that we can get any plan below "Enterprise" for $6.90/year.
    Therefore, I went for a "Pro" plan (normally 3 cores, 4GB, 45GB NVMe) but added all applicable addons (except IPv4 that I don't care about).
    This order was eventually refunded because "out of stock".