Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion to prevent a Constantinos incident from happening again - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion to prevent a Constantinos incident from happening again

13»

Comments

• AmfyAmfy Member

@ElliotJ: You are so right! Absolutely my opinion!

but there evidently are exceptions

Right LusoVPS is one of them. They have also servers at OVH and are also younger people...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DotVPS said: Anyway Kimsufi's are great for user's starting up.

TOTAL INCL. VAT £84.79

£84.79 = 132.848972 U.S. dollars

There is an offer for i5 16 gb ram for 36 pounds. They might have 32 IPv4 max and /64 IPv6
    M

• I think a miminum requirement for a hoster should be that they are a registered company with a verifiable number, name and address.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited March 2012

Easiest way to keep this from happening again is just put new providers under heavy scrutiny. Constantinos can't help himself, if he starts another company up he will expose himself within the first couple weeks.

Also be suspicious of new characters popping up. One thing Const did with this Sturdy character was try to be helpful to community, just like our buddy DepotVps_Shane, who just popped up to try and help us make sure this doesn't happen again (suspicious!)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Francisco said: Remember they only go on those because they give the first month free, maybe even on the first month of IP costs :S A host can sell a ton, bankroll, and then decide if they'll see it through.

Not only LusoVPS...

I think that I will soon renew both my (£10/annually) kimsufi/OVH VPSs from minivps.co.uk. I really like what I get for those few bucks from them.

But now back on topic.
    It would be really shame to ban "too good to be true" deals by default because without them I wouldn't enjoy in this £10/annually plan from miniVPS, neither in solid rock £6/6months special offer from XenVZ, neither in £15/annually deal from allsimple, neither in latest little but decent €10/annualy offer from inceptionhost and so on...

There's no guarantee for any host that it will survive (even big, old, reputable companies bakrupt sometimes) but generally my experiences with (from competition often declared "too good to be true") LEB hosts are mostly pleasant and most of my hosts (including those above) give me what I expect (& sometimes even more) from them.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

OVH in this case most likely (how to see difference?). I quoted kimsufi/OVH from FLVPS & Fran posts above. Anyway, they didn't dissapear after first month of offering lowendbox OVH service and now, half year later, I still like their vps performance and support response.

• Both nodes I use have AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE

• CPU model : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2183.112 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 128 MB
    Total amount of swap : 128 MB
    System uptime : 32 days, 9:32,
    Download speed : (11.9MB/s)
    I/O speed : 76.0MB/s
    minivps.co.uk - £10/annually - node 7 with VSwap

CPU model : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2068.817 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 25 days, 6:55,
    Download speed : (32.0MB/s)
    I/O speed : 85.6MB/s
    minivps.co.uk - £10/annually - node 4 with burst

• Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

The best thing you folks could do is just go about things as normal. If he tries to come back he will be caught. Placing restrictions only helps someone know what not to do to get caught.

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • NarutoNaruto Member
    edited March 2012

We could also always shoot him but I do not recommend that because it would be illegal, but maybe not illegal if you had him leave Cyprus of his own free will and take him into international waters where pirates hang out and do it there. Don't do this.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Naruto said: but maybe not illegal if you had him leave Cyprus of his own free will and take him into international waters where pirates hang out and do it there

You don't need to go that far. Turks from other part of a Island will gladly do it for free! :)

/joke

A really sad joke, if I may :(
    M

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Spirit said: Turks from other part of a Island will gladly do it for free! :)

Eeeeh.. I'm Turkish.

I also have a Turkish friend in the army, which, considering my armenian origin would probably mean that I should hate :P Turks werent kind with Romanians and many others either, so lets kill them, ppl !
    I really dont like this kind of jokes. Reminds me of one here (romanians and hungarians are supposed to hate each other)
    One romanian comes with an axe to the house of his hungarian neighbour:
    -I will kill you because your ppl killed Michael the Brave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_the_Brave) !
    -My god says the hungarian, that happened more than 400 years ago !
    -Well, I just found out about it...

M

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: I think a miminum requirement for a hoster should be that they are a registered company with a verifiable number, name and address.

Sole proprietorship in most states is less than $100, the basic requirement for a "registered company", then you get a "requirement" how long the business has been there.

Sorry, the best bet is to beat into people's heads that there is no guarantee about a company, the company's background and that LEB/LET is not responsible for you losing money because the site is meant to be used as a reference- not as an endorsement which I think a lot of people mistake it for

There is no "official" endorsement here, just the ppl comments, some more credible than others, but in no way shape or form a guarantee. Besides, how can someone offer a guarantee, even if they are/were customers, I have seen the conditions vary a lot even in the same provider's space, depending on node load, location, etc.
    The only thing you can deduct are some chances, nothing more, nothing less.
    So, you can see here "this provider is likely to fail", "this provider is serious" and how the services are in average. It is much better than nothing, but in no way enough.
    M

• RexRex Member

Hmmm, reading through all the comments I am left with the feeling that many of the participants need more/better_rounded educations, and to be a little less didactic. Or, put another way, perhaps participants should make an effort to have their comments reflect well on the community. As another commenter put it: think first, then save it as a draft, and maybe publish it later if you still think it's worthy after further consideration.

• @Rex said: Hmmm, reading through all the comments I am left with the feeling that many of the participants need more/better_rounded educations

• @DepotVPS_Shane ban is not the answer-The right fix would take financial support from the community at large imho ... I just think that needs to be recognized.

for sake of LEB security I'd help-offers are too good.

• voltvolt Member

Hi Guys

I have just registered but have been following the recent events with interest as I was a Hostrail customer and have been interested to see what has become of them and Con Cou.

I actually feel sorry for him. He seems intelligent, but just has no clue how to go about things. I personally would have given him another chance if he started another legit company and wasn't so underhanded. After the attacks he has started now, I wouldn't touch any company associated with him with a bargepole! He has also really stuffed himself as this will always be available with a quick google, so anyone looking for a reference on him would find out very quickly what he is capable of.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic...

I would like to suggest that there is a directory and rating system for the providers. Not restrictions.

If there was a listing of all the providers where potential customers could see a rating out of 5 stars from existing/past customers, this would help a lot. The buyer could then make an informed decision, being able to easily see the date they were started, when they listed with LEB, their star rating, contact details, location, server location/s, maybe ping / speed results, current LEB deals and any comments.

Of course the problem would be monitoring the reviews and verifying that they are legit customers.

Well, my 2c.... Good luck with this and keep up the good work (both the admins and members) as the service provided here is invaluable!

Cheers

Volt