Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion to prevent a Constantinos incident from happening again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion to prevent a Constantinos incident from happening again

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Aldryic said: You weren't around for our introductory phase

Oh, but i was, I was reading here for years and I think I even posted, but unlike WHT, there were more versions of these boards, I dont know about LEB, tho, might still find some very old posts of mine over there.
    I could even be one of the early customers of yours, it was a time when you werent "vetting" the customers so thoroughly. I have been with tens if not over 100 providers here, and, while i dont remember very well past ENS which was my provider of choice for much more than a year I think, I could have been a customer of yours.
    M

• @Maounique said: I could even be one of the early customers of yours, it was a time when you werent "vetting" the customers so thoroughly.

That's quite possible. I only set the procedures for auditing and accounting two years ago... and a good year of that timeline has been going through past accounts and performing cleanup.

edited March 2012

@Aldryic said: That's quite possible. I only set the procedures for auditing and accounting two years ago... and a good year of that timeline has been going through past accounts and performing cleanup.

No worry, I am not on your servers now, nor planning such things. Besides, if you use automated procedures to keep away "3rd world beggars and thieves", wont even be possible...
    M

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@DepotVPS_Shane said: Why not make this or something simliar a rule:

As a minimum price, no regular priced VPSes or recurring discounts under $2-3 a month will be accepted.

Just suggesting, as HostRail had VPSes at $1.05 a month. Reason I didn't add one-time discounts to the suggestion is that I think some hosts might want to offer a trial offer.

The thing is that price isn't always the key factor. We've had deadpoolers that weren't cheap at all, like $7 for 128MB RAM, etc.

It all comes down to what deals they have worked out with their DC's. I don't mean for 'this' box, I mean for their 10th+ box.

There's also the big belief that getting an allocation of IP's makes you rule the market - wrong. While it helps, if you don't know how to handle your nodes, features or get screwed by your DC, IP's aren't going to help you a whole lot.

Colocation can help more if you have the upfront money to invest in it, but the next thing is you have to deal with morons like Constantios. Do you have the means to end a DDOS attack? nullroutes or otherwise? Do you have the bandwidth to handle it? Is your datacenter even willing to handle it?

There is a host on here (won't name names since his wounds are still fresh) that got screwed hard because one of his users got flooded and the DC was unwilling to resolve it.

Doing hosting well is about making sure every corner of your ass is covered to the best of your ability. We speak from experience since You can't just plop users on a box and be done with it. If you want to keep an edge you have to spend countless amounts of time making sure things are running smooth and that you're giving the best you can. Just because something is 'standard' (like, in I/O ~40's is 'standard' for budgets), that doesn't mean that should be your ultimate goal.

Francisco

@Francisco said: If you want to keep an edge you have to spend countless amounts of time making sure things are running smooth

^This. It is a 24/7 job, even with managed servers, they wont handle your customers from all around the world.
    M

@Maounique said: ^This. It is a 24/7 job, even with managed servers, they wont handle your customers from all around the world.

M

Even more so with managed boss! I mean, we've not had sales open for months just because we're prepping for upgrades that won't happen till probably the fall. We had to go back to square one to really evaluate everything and find design flaws.

Hosting is easy, selling VM's is easy (insert CD, install solus, print money), doing it well is a whole other ball game.

That is one reason why I dont start a business in the field. I would be too perfectionist and would end up working more than now for less money, also be stressed all the time that my customers are unhappy.
    I am sure you know the feeling.
    M

• @Maounique said: Besides, if you use automated procedures to keep away "3rd world beggars and thieves",

No, just repeat offenders, frauders, and trolls. So long as your prior account has no outstanding dues, there would be nothing preventing your return if you so chose. Should you so choose, however, I would strongly suggest a more.. pleasant tone should the need to open a support ticket arise. Anthony does not possess my tolerance, and we would not hesitate to refund a troublemaker in favour of giving an honest client the slot.

edited March 2012

So, troublemaker=/= honest and maxmind finds the fraudsters all the time. It also doesnt matter who started the insults.
    Besides, I dont need support, i only put tickets when I need upgrade or something like that. Most of the time when the host has a problem with me and sends a ticket for anyting they can imagine i did wrong, I simply say thank you, keep the money. Never asked for a refund, it is below my standards to haggle over a few bucks.
    M

• @Maounique said: maxmind finds the fraudsters all the time

Wrong. That's my job.

@Maounique said: It also doesnt matter who started the insults.

You chose to insult us for our opinions. That choice was yours, and with that choice you gave up the right to cry about us returning the favour. I do believe we're done with this.

edited March 2012

You chose to insult completely unprovoked the Tor users and volunteers. Even more so, pouring grave and gross acusations over us without evidence, or even some serious hearsay. I bet you dont have a single real complaint for some node you hosted, just the automated BS if that. yet you choose to put everyone in the same **** bucket and you didnt like it when I did the same putting you together with the frauds around here.
    And no, we are not done, go ask for more posts deleted.
    M

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited March 2012

@Maounique said: And no, we are not done

Yes, we are. Say whatever you like in vain, this will be my last acknowledgement to your childish wailing.

Since you are asking for my "wailing" to be removed, it is not in vain. Even when you manage.
    M

• @Aldryic said: We're not in this for profit

My BS meter just went off the charts

• @JoeMerit said: My BS meter just went off the charts

Ask Francisco how much we make. He'll honestly reply that he has no idea, and so long as I report that we're in the black and can afford maintenance/etc, he's satisfied.

Yeah, I know, that is one of the stranger statements. Like asking a guy that hates baseball why he's an umpire :P I don't blame you for doubting it.. it'll just boil down to whether or not you think I'm the type to lie :3

• @Aldryic said: it'll just boil down to whether or not you think I'm the type to lie :3

Russians always lie.

• You know our secret, now you must die <_<

@JoeMerit said: My BS meter just went off the charts

We make a healthy profit and I get to stay home all day coding and working with the guys - that's plenty in my life.

I don't go out a lot by choice and I live a very cheap lifestyle :) Most everything we make we bankroll.

Francisco

• Even though BuyVM didn't "create" this market they are one of the only's that are successful in it and add new things into this "market". Most of the 15/y offers will end up in dead pool ( we are not talking about hostrail that was even less then 15/y )

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

There goes maonique with the tor stuff again... Damn, we should make him a forum just for him to ventilate his tor things there

Thanked by 2ElliotJ miTgiB
  • @Aldryic said: You know our secret, now you must die <_<

Ain't no secret, it's the ponies.
    (Source: Quaker Steak & Lube Co.)

• Hmm... I'm seeing a lot of replies that are off-topic. Can we get stick to the topic please?

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • I think 3 of these are the same person.

• Hmm... I'm seeing a lot of replies that are off-topic. Can we get stick to the topic please?

Alright let's see...

Less than $2 / month ban? Well that might help weed out those garbage offers, but it won't stop a person from scamming you. In fact they'll just follow the trend. Ok if not for $1 now how about $2.39? Offer gets posted and we're back at square one.

In theory it makes sense, in practice, it doesn't work. It also punishes those legitimate offers from BuyVM and Ramhost (the two I know who do $15 / yr VPS and succeed by doing it well).

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

The only thing that can "prevent" it from happening again, is that you go to his door step and show him whose boss :P

hhhh

@coastercraze - The LEB editors are kinda on a fence too. Originally Chief wanted to be a lot more strict, but people felt that they should be allowed to do their own research.

This community has done well digging up on companies and linking them together so the communities best bet is that it continues doing just that.

Francisco

• FLVPSFLVPS Member
    edited March 2012

@Coastercraze said: Less than $2 / month ban? Well that might help weed out those garbage offers, but it won't stop a person from scamming you. In fact they'll just follow the trend. Ok if not for $1 now how about $2.39? Offer gets posted and we're back at square one.

We could start up lowendnanny.com with hand holding, helmets and start issuing training wheels. Regardless of how much emphasis everybody puts on what to look out for, idiots still fall for the same stupid scams. Look at your local news with the occasion CRAIGSLIST FRAUD WARNING story where somebody ignored the HUGE WARNING explaining what to look out for and they fell for it, then the reporter just reads word for word the HUGE WARNING.

I'll admit it. I got ripped by W2 Servers but the $60 loss for about 6 months of service on two VPS servers, I kinda actually broke even on that one.

If you start putting these restrictions on, you'll just get the same stale offers from the same providers over and over.

Minimum business requirements? So it'll be established only, no new guys.
    Price limits? Staleness
    No resellers? I know a BurstNET reseller who was purchased, still runs the company but I guess the VPS area of the hosting company and now is in a private data center
    Hosting provider limits? Well, everyone jumping on those cheap low end dedicated servers offered by OVH, Kimsufi, and others while completely new to the business..

Thanked by 1Spirit

@FLVPS said: Hosting provider limits? Well, everyone jumping on those cheap low end dedicated servers offered by OVH, Kimsufi, and others while completely new to the business..

Remember they only go on those because they give the first month free, maybe even on the first month of IP costs :S A host can sell a ton, bankroll, and then decide if they'll see it through.

• GaryGary Member

@Spirit said: Specially new hosts which often because some small mistake have no chances to survive here after gang rape of more established LEB/LET hosts.

If they can't survive without LEB's support, they have a shitty business model.

It's entirely their own fault if they get savaged for having a nulled WHM, bad DNS records etc. New providers pop up all the time, and some are welcomed and accepted as good providers.

Providers need to stop looking at LEB as an easy source of income, and see it for what it is. A savvy bunch of people who will tear you to bits if you mess up, because there are lots of good providers out there. Not a good idea to make a mess of things on a site like this, considering how well it does in google rankings...

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • Hm, is it just me who thinks all these 'restrictions' are a little bit... unrealistic?

Sure, we've seen deadpoolers, annoying Cypriots and everyone in between, but in any industry you'll see the same.
    Of course you say all $15/year and OVH providers are destined for disaster, but there evidently are exceptions. By generalising so much, you're unfairly discriminating some real quality providers.

Quite honestly, the only realistic suggestion would be to use common sense, research the providers a little and then make a decision about parting your cash.

Thanked by 2Amfy upfreak