Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good, cheap dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good, cheap dedicated server?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2012 in Providers

I might start up a VPS provider and was wondering, any good cheap dedi proviers out there? I've pledged myself never to go with anything in Scranton, as usually I've had problems with hosts over there.

Comments

• jhjh Member

OVH maybe?

• Any reason for choosing dedicated over colo?

• @premiso: Several reasons:

1. I am only 16 so I do not have the resources to buy a $1,000-$3,000 server.
    2. Where I live (Indianapolis), colo is more expensive than an arm and a a leg.
    3. I wouldn't know the best method to get my server to another city (eg, Chicago).
  • You should use one europe provider the ones that pop to my mind that are cheap are;

• OVH ( France )
    • Leaseweb ( Netherlands )
    • Hetzner ( Germany )

There are others but this are the cheapest providers out there.

• KuroKuro Member

@Bernardoo I thought Leaseweb limit you to a /28 (16 IPs)? Surely not ideal for a VPS provider ;)

• @Kuro

Yeah you are right i almost forgot that.

--

There are other company's around the world that provide you with "cheap" dedicated servers but in europe its way more easy to find them.

• Hehe, I'm not Constantinos. Check my IP, it's a cable provider in Indianapolis. Heck, I'll have someone call my cell, I don't mind.

Anyways, I'll look into Europe. I was looking at FDCServers also but wasn't sure about them considering they never answer the phones. I do have one colo provider here in Indy I still need to check out :).

• KuroKuro Member

Take a look at snelserver for cheap, quality NL servers. :)

• Before you open a VPS business, what will you compete on? Quality? Support? Price?

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @Kairus: Even price and resources. I like my 1GB RAM, 50GB HDD OVZ VPSes cheap, lol.

• pcanpcan Member

OVH is not cheap at all if you also want real support and good hardware. If you are starting, and expecially if you make money out of this server, you definitely need effective support. As example, the relatively small OVH dedicated server I rented in 2011 was invoiced 2'315 eur/year + vat (4 IP's, core i7, 24 Gb Ram, hardware console over IP, 2 slow Sata disks and a very basic hardware RAID). With today shrinking budgets, I will most certanly search another provider this year. But, if you have the money, OVH "VIP" support is good. Be warned that, if you make a phone call outside Europe business hours, you could be directed to french speaking people or asked to wait on the line a little more. I dont'have direct experience on the OVH Kimsufi brand support, but the salespeople at OVH discouraged me to try their low-end brand. The server is for busines use, and an extended downtime could make a big damage.

• @DepotVPS_Shane

Did you have a provider yet? a quick google search shows that there is a company that used that name already "depotVPS"

• @Bernardoo: Yikes, nope. Better request a name change.

See, there are steps I forget sometimes.

• JacobJacob Member

You don't need that much money to build a server, I am building L5420's for £360 a build and that is with either RE 3/4 Drives or Samsung Spinpoint drives.(Either 32MB/64MB Cache on the Drives) and also 12GB RAM on Each of the servers.

The hardest part is buying the hardware, Also I know some datacenters fit the parts for you if you get them sent directly to them.(Ofcourse for a additional fee)

Longterm colocation is worth the expense, Best advice would be to create a reserve fund and then when you think you have enough splash out and buy hardware.(It's what I did) or if you can lease the hardware from a company then that is even better because it allows more growth and your just paying a small fee over a longterm period.

However putting colocation aside, DataShack would have to be my recommendation or Infinitie Networks.(Soon to be ServerHub)

@DepotVPS_Shane said: I am only 16 so I do not have the resources to buy a $1,000-$3,000 server.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@DepotVPS_Shane said: @Kairus: Even price and resources. I like my 1GB RAM, 50GB HDD OVZ VPSes cheap, lol.

Be very careful going down the high resources to price ratio, that's the path pursued by many dead-poolers, and those dead-poolers always say that they'll never be in the dead-pool and all of that BS. Bottom line is, don't go straight into really low budget stuff quickly, give it time to progress especially with your age.

Once you've got a bad name in the industry it's hard to earn it back. Even pulling a Constantinos with different identities doesn't work. I'm surprised no one has mentioned DataShack, they're good with value.

[EDIT: Just as I pressed send to the message, I had to have someone mention DataShack. Damnit!]

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@Bernardoo said: Did you have a provider yet? a quick google search shows that there is a company that used that name already "depotVPS"

Yeah, I was wondering where from I read that name before. They even had offers on LEB, but I might be mistaken.
    16 is too low in my country to register a company, and, while I dont want to be rude as I knew many ppl under 16 better than 45 yo, I think you should start with something more easy so you dont screw up and everyone will put you at index and hunt you like that Constantinos guy. Not taking his side, but maybe he tried to punch above his weight and got beaten down into insanity.
    It's a tough world out there, may end up with permanent scars and reputation in ruins.
    Try buy a cheap server with minimal requirements or something, get a few IPv6 and put up VPSes for your friends to try stuff. If the IPv6 trick doesnt work for various reasons, try with port forwarding, learn command line, put up various scenarios (VPN, blog, forums, teamspeak, irc something, game server, torrents, look what ppl are searching here and are usually rejected), see the real load stuff does, try to mitigate those problems, divide resources, etc. You may even give out free VPS to selected ppl here to test VPSes out (but make sure you put some ToS that block anything illegal and potentially forbidden by your host).
    Take my advice and DO NOT charge anything for a while, you will learn a lot and will be much cheaper than any paid course in networking, linux, virtualization, legalities, etc.
    Good luck, for you're gonna need it ! Mwahahahhaahhhh...
    M

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Wow! This thread is good material for a new book: VPS Provider For Dummies
    :)

DepotVPS: why vps and not, for example, shared hosting as a starting point? (or you already tried that?)

edited March 2012

It was the time for this kind of things and maybe I am not the only one seeing the utility.
    Regarding shared hosting, I dont think that is offering enough pizzaz and interesting stuff to keep a 16 yo busy enough to keep learning on a steep curve while the risks are almost the same. Could be lower costs, tho, but a reseller account wont be offering much regarding the learning IT stuff part.
    He can make a somewhat larger container for shared hosting, install some GPL suite, and, voila !, he has shared hosting too. Not to mention the DNS servers in other containers, hehe :P
    M

• If you really wanna learn stuff, offer services just for people you know and have them pay just enough to cover the server costs. That way you still learn things but you won't get blamed in public when things go wrong

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I wasn't suggesting a reseller account but entering in the shared hosting business as a strating point... with one or two small servers you can raise even more than you can with these LEB prices, need a few ipv4 and make experience... then you can move on with vps...

Thanked by 2Amfy Zero
  • ZeroZero Member

@prometeus said: I wasn't suggesting a reseller account but entering in the shared hosting business as a strating point... with one or two small servers you can raise even more than you can with these LEB prices, need a few ipv4 and make experience... then you can move on with vps...

Exactly what I want to do in future when the new S.s.r.l. becomes effective :P

• AdamAdam Member

Hmm, if you're only 16, I would have to advise you not to start a vps business.
    People like reasonable support time, and at that age you already have commitments (school, homework, after school activities, chores, friends, etc). Along with the fact that after a few weeks, the glam wears off and all you're left with is another chore.

^ I've seen it happen time and time again. A kid gets bored during summer break, starts a business, but as soon as school starts again, support ends, or the business is sold.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, but you need more thought behind it... If you really are serious about this, then consider finding a partner who can run things while you're busy.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I have to agree with @Adam, there will always be un-expected surprises etc. which is why I'm delaying owning and selling VPSs from my own servers until a little later when I'm first of all an adult and have enough money to fall back on. I've had the feeling that I want to start it now but it's best to think in the long term.

• FLVPSFLVPS Member

Take some community college classes about running a business, which many people lack either college degree or real world experience in running a business, because the two years or longer you take to make yourself better than your competition the playing field will be leveled after all the "low end" VPS providers get acquired by larger companies or get ran out of business due to poor decisions.

We all know examples of companies that have sank from poor decisions.

As far as servers, Hetzner has a market place. Server4You has US and German hosting. I'm at Datashack right now with a client and I'm helping a buddy start up his hosting business but my friend is looking at BurstNET Scranton for his first server because the hardware is relatively inexpensive, the 5TB standard is nice and some of the dedicated servers come with cPanel licenses with the price but are still cheaper than most providers.

I did a search last night for him and was amazed at some of the lowest end hardware being so expensive per month for dedicated hosting.

@FLVPS said: ooking at BurstNET Scranton for his first server because the hardware is relatively inexpensive, the 5TB standard is nice and some of the dedicated servers come with cPanel licenses with the price but are still cheaper than most providers.

Besides, everyone hates BurstNET and you know whom you can blame when things go wrong :)

Back to topic, yeah, host your friends for free, or poll together some money, show them how it is behind the control panels, your school mates, neighbourhood kids, mom and pop, you will get support from at least some, host game servers, community boards, howtos and your favourite distro and scripts, show off and bragg but stay away from the real dog eat dog of the real money. You will probably do a big mistake otherwise, chances are against you in an overwhelming manner.
    M

edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: FDCServer $39

I couldnt find the 39$ offer but the 45 one is atom which probably doesnt support virtualization. Could be good for hosting but not for VPS.
    Kimsufi offer, tho, at 36 pounds, is an incredible offer, absolutely fabulous. It remains to settle the IPv4 issue, because IPv6 is already fully operational.
    M
    P.S.: Here: http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

edited March 2012

Good thing the IPs, however, 4 containers are probably not enough for real testing.
    I would still recommend the kimsufi uk offer. 36 pounds for that ram on i5 is the best offer I saw ever. Not to mention 10 TB BW and no overage costs, just slowing down the connection. Can apply for 32 IPv4 IPs also, that machine will easily hold 32 512 VPSes, if there is a need but the cost is high, 1 pound per month per IP.
    M

• Just as a comment, if you are 16 I would heavily advise you focus on your school work first. Starting a business is no child's play, if you are wanting to gain experience from it then why not start slowly. Perhaps learn and experience how to manage servers through a shared hosting site like a few individuals here stated. There is a lot more to the VPS / VM hosting world then you would think. You would think its easy. How hard would it be to manage a server right? Yea... first prove that you can manage a single server effectively before you go ahead. This is just my advice. I applaud your will and enthusiasm to start a business but learn, gain some experience and then start! You still have loads of time! :) Have a good day!

• @shunny: Exactly. I'm starting out slow, not spending huge gigantic amounts of time on it, even if that sounds bad, LOL. I still plan to have good support/sales responses.

• @DepotVPS_Shane - if thats the case then go for it! I can beta test for you if you want! I want to see people succeed. hehe :) As a suggestion, why not just install virtualization OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, VmWare or whatever on a computer at home and see how that works out? That is a step in progress. Then maybe get a dedicated server or co-located server or whatever... :)