Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any option for torrenting (private trackers) besides Kimsufi? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any option for torrenting (private trackers) besides Kimsufi?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Been a long-time used of @PulsedMedia and been very happy. They had a 6TB for 6EUR promo I'm using atm as well as an older box.

Also have used UltraSeedbox ultra.cc. They definitely had some issues last year where they were offline for a while...what was it, a month or two? They were reasonably communicative and gave compensation so I've stayed on with them. A lot of drama around that whole event but I just waited and was reprovisioned and things have been fine since.

Kimsufi was always meh for me. The main issue was the network back across the Atlantic, where you'd get wildly varying performance. Same thing was true for HostSolutions, though they have their own special set of issues.

MikroVPS has been recommended to me by no less a luminary than @Nekki, but I haven't tried them yet...they just did an offer on LEB.

BuyVM is always rock steady but I've never done any torrenting there. Also probably a good solution.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • LeviLevi Member

That interview is a huge pr article. Only few sentences was interesting.

@LTniger said: That interview is a huge pr article. Only few sentences was interesting.

I thought the comments on trying to employ people in Finland was pretty interesting.

• @codelock said:

@eris said:

@CalmDown said:
    Most of providers allow, but only with private trackers as once you will use public ones, you will deal with DMCA.

You can use Netcup(i think the best option), Hetzner(dedi/cloud) or any other :)

Personally using Netcup.

Germany has the strictest law regarding torrents in EU...

Please check https://allaboutberlin.com/guides/pirating-streaming-movies-in-germany

Which country doesn't allow me to download my Ubuntu 20.04 iso? Private trackers are "private" and there is no way for them to tell difference between what I am downloading on torrent unless they check the peers connected to particular tracker which is not possible for private trackers

Lol, wut? They load the torrent and then log whomever they connect with. They can sign up for private trackers just like you.

• @default said:
    If someone is a tech savvy, they can simply create a seedbox, from any VPS, and have it connected through a public VPN for online protection.

The seedbox is created easily using a road-warrior script or maybe something through Docker. Personally, I tested and recommend this script from Github. It works well, even on the new Debian 11, even though Debian Bullseye is not specified in "readme" file.

Conditions: have the hostname configured with a subdomain pointed to your server, because it issues even a SSL (Let's Encrypt) for you to access ruTorrent by secured web interface, with a password.

The VPN is the tricky part, because a constant VPN connection drops access over SSH. So a split tunnel needs to be created, by giving VPN access only to a specific user of the server (the one running torrent application). There is this guide which even though it's for Debian 8 and Private Internet Access VPN, it can work on Debian 11 with other type of VPN, but it needs to be adjusted accordingly.

There are some iptables rules there, for torrent user to only connect through VPN, so torrent connection will not work if VPN connection drops, therefore avoiding online exposure for real IP.

Conditions: a second user needs to be created beforehand, and added to the torrent user's group, in order to access downloaded files by sFTP. In such case the umask set in ".rtorrent.rc" on torrent user needs to be 0002. A symbolic link from torrent "download" directory, to sFTP user's home directory, makes download easier by sFTP.

Limitations: the bandwidth of VPN is the bottleneck of this whole setup. The VPS may have unlimited gigabit connection, but it's useless if the VPN offers just 50mbps.

Enjoy.

Or, fuck all that noise and use a socks5 proxy. VPN Unlimited has a free one as good or better than PIA.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for everyone tagging me at this thread :)

We are running auctions so you can give a try for very little cost: https://pulsedmedia.com/seedbox-auctions.php

Then get a higher tier for more performance if you need. For a server, all of these can be added SUDO/Root: https://pulsedmedia.com/managed-dediseedbox.php

Or for more modern hardware you can ask from sales at pulsedmedia what ZEN MiniDedi is quickly available: https://pulsedmedia.com/zen-minidedi.php
    (not allowing fully custom orders right now, supply woes and just takes too much human time to complete)