Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any option for torrenting (private trackers) besides Kimsufi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any option for torrenting (private trackers) besides Kimsufi?

Hi everyone,

Last week, after almost 7 years, Kimsufi took down my server and deleted all my data because I was on vacation and I missed the payment e-mail. No big deal - I was lucky I didn't have anything of value there.

I'm looking at alternatives.

I've seen that torrenting is not allowed on many servers. Are private trackers treated differently or in general just running a torrent service is not allowed?

Any service recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Most of providers allow, but only with private trackers as once you will use public ones, you will deal with DMCA.

You can use Netcup(i think the best option), Hetzner(dedi/cloud) or any other :)

Personally using Netcup.

• Use a seedbox, probably

Thanked by 1default
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

why not pulsedmedia

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • HostSolutions.ro

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @CalmDown said:
    Most of providers allow, but only with private trackers as once you will use public ones, you will deal with DMCA.

You can use Netcup(i think the best option), Hetzner(dedi/cloud) or any other :)

Personally using Netcup.

have you had any trouble with netcup at all? for private trackers.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited August 2021

https://alexhost.com
    https://privatelayer.com
    https://2x4.ru
    https://novogara.com

Those providers I mention are DMCA ignored, but always check their TOS

Many many out there... Easily to find

• Why not use a seedbox provider like feralhosting or ultraseedbox?

• If its private trackers, any provider will be fine. You dont need DMCA ignored and you dont get DMCA in private trackers.

Thanked by 1default
  • CloudieCloudie Member, Host Rep

Tagging @PulsedMedia :))

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • @stefeman said:
    If its private trackers, any provider will be fine. You dont need DMCA ignored and you dont get DMCA in private trackers.

When BRElN goes in action, tell them that.

• @sandoz said:

@stefeman said:
    If its private trackers, any provider will be fine. You dont need DMCA ignored and you dont get DMCA in private trackers.

When BRElN goes in action, tell them that.

if BREIN seizes the tracker, then ur fucked anyway. its not DMCA letter then.

• nvmenvme Member
    edited August 2021

You can try BuyVM may be?
    I have checked lot of IP's in private tracker and I could see few of them are using BuyVM/ Hetzner/ OVH as well.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

https://seedit4.me/ - Recommended by (or Sponsors?) TorrentLeech. No public trackers though.

• @PulsedMedia used to sell seed boxes, ready to use.

Yo, @PulsedMedia - make this man an offer he can't refuse.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • eriseris Member
    edited August 2021

@CalmDown said:
    Most of providers allow, but only with private trackers as once you will use public ones, you will deal with DMCA.

Personally using Netcup.

Germany has the strictest law regarding torrents in EU...

Please check https://allaboutberlin.com/guides/pirating-streaming-movies-in-germany

Thanked by 1default
  • @cybertech said:

@CalmDown said:

Personally using Netcup.

have you had any trouble with netcup at all? for private trackers.

Nope, everything is fine.

If seedbox company, then i wouldn't recommend pulsemedia, there are a lot of other options, like whatbox.ca, ultra.cc, seedhost.eu :) And they are better.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @eris said:

@CalmDown said:

Personally using Netcup.

Please check https://allaboutberlin.com/guides/pirating-streaming-movies-in-germany

True, but still if you use private trackers nobody will say you anything. No DMCA no problems. There are a lot of ppl who uses hetzner for torrenting :)

• codelockcodelock Member
    edited August 2021

@eris said:

@CalmDown said:

Personally using Netcup.

Which country doesn't allow me to download my Ubuntu 20.04 iso? Private trackers are "private" and there is no way for them to tell difference between what I am downloading on torrent unless they check the peers connected to particular tracker which is not possible for private trackers

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@codelock said:

@eris said:

@CalmDown said:

Personally using Netcup.

Which country doesn't allow me to download my Ubuntu 20.04 iso? Private trackers are "private" and there is no way for them to tell difference between what I am downloading on torrent unless they check the peers connected to particular tracker which is not possible for private trackers

What makes you think secret agencies don't have accounts with private trackers? From there, it's easy to see IP addresses of all peers and seeders on a specific torrent. Your Ubuntu 20.04 can be dangerous, if it's not properly secured.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited August 2021

@default said:
    What makes you think secret agencies don't have accounts with private trackers?

Thats illegal in many countries.
    Also, as for germany, here the copyright holders have to hire private investigators to collect evidence on their own. That simply is not worth the effort for them to go after people that use private torrents.

• @pike said:

@default said:
    What makes you think secret agencies don't have accounts with private trackers?

Thats illegal in many countries.

It's illegal to have a free account and monitor who downloads a specific content?

• pikepike Veteran

@default said:
    It's illegal to have a free account and monitor who downloads a specific content?

Yes, it is illegal for law enforcement to actively participate. If they want to investigate criminal networks they turn one of the members into an agent that provides them with the information they need.

• @pike said:

@default said:

Yes, it is illegal for law enforcement to actively participate. If they want to investigate criminal networks they turn one of the members into an agent that provides them with the information they need.

OK, so that undercover agent makes account on multiple trackers, and gets the info. Doh!

• Been using letbox for torrents for long time with no issues. As long as you don't get a dmca notice its all good.

• Your favorite server provider + a damn 5 dollar VPN with port forwarding

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

If someone is a tech savvy, they can simply create a seedbox, from any VPS, and have it connected through a public VPN for online protection.

The seedbox is created easily using a road-warrior script or maybe something through Docker. Personally, I tested and recommend this script from Github. It works well, even on the new Debian 11, even though Debian Bullseye is not specified in "readme" file.

Conditions: have the hostname configured with a subdomain pointed to your server, because it issues even a SSL (Let's Encrypt) for you to access ruTorrent by secured web interface, with a password.

The VPN is the tricky part, because a constant VPN connection drops access over SSH. So a split tunnel needs to be created, by giving VPN access only to a specific user of the server (the one running torrent application). There is this guide which even though it's for Debian 8 and Private Internet Access VPN, it can work on Debian 11 with other type of VPN, but it needs to be adjusted accordingly.

There are some iptables rules there, for torrent user to only connect through VPN, so torrent connection will not work if VPN connection drops, therefore avoiding online exposure for real IP.

Conditions: a second user needs to be created beforehand, and added to the torrent user's group, in order to access downloaded files by sFTP. In such case the umask set in ".rtorrent.rc" on torrent user needs to be 0002. A symbolic link from torrent "download" directory, to sFTP user's home directory, makes download easier by sFTP.

Limitations: the bandwidth of VPN is the bottleneck of this whole setup. The VPS may have unlimited gigabit connection, but it's useless if the VPN offers just 50mbps.

Enjoy.

• niknar1900niknar1900 Member
    edited August 2021

Buyvm, Luxembourg slice + slab. I've tried a few different seedbox providers but I think it's better to roll your own. Add SSL, passwords, vpn, run something other than rtorrent, do whatever you think is best. I just stream directly to Kodi, it's great.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I've used Ultra.cc a lot recently. Seem pretty solid so far on a couple of servers that I've used.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@pike said: Yes, it is illegal for law enforcement to actively participate. If they want to investigate criminal networks they turn one of the members into an agent that provides them with the information they need.

FYI, see this article on new "account takeover" powers Australia will have:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173490/did-i-start-this-thread-or-was-it-the-australian-federal-police

• @raindog308 said:

@pike said: Yes, it is illegal for law enforcement to actively participate. If they want to investigate criminal networks they turn one of the members into an agent that provides them with the information they need.

FYI, see this article on new "account takeover" powers Australia will have:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173490/did-i-start-this-thread-or-was-it-the-australian-federal-police