Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Speech Hosting - BuyShared - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Speech Hosting - BuyShared

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Just don't practice your free speech on your significant other unless you like sleeping on sofa.

• @adly @Maounique i understand. you guys are from free speech part of the world. i am from europe and we are not used to free speech at all.

• adlyadly Veteran

@hyperblast said:
    @adly @Maounique i understand. you guys are from free speech part of the world. i am from europe and we are not used to free speech at all.

I’m from the UK, which is about on par with most of Europe free speech wise. It is perfectly normal in the UK/Europe, just not the bastardised American version of ‘free speech’.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am from Europe as well. I used to be beaten by my parents for speaking my mind and landing them into trouble :P I even gave written statement to "Militia" the Police equivalent at 13.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Maounique said: didn't say it is in US

You're struggling to make a cogent argument.

@adly said: It is perfectly normal in the UK/Europe, just not the bastardised American version of ‘free speech’.

I would argue that the US has a freer stand on speech than the UK or Europe.

For example, in the US you can publish a Nazi web site or publish an anti-homosexuality book or hold a conference to denounce Islam and all of that is protected speech. In some European countries, those things are crimes.

@Francisco said: To be honest i'd rather see people turn into VPS customers

So what's the barrier? Resellers who lack the technical chops to administer a VPS? Or they'd rather have someone else do the patching, upgrades, etc.?

@raindog308 said: You're struggling to make a cogent argument.

Not at all, I say there are different standards, in some countries there are laws against free speech, in others there are "rules" and some laws designed for other purposes, such as national security, for example, are used against people speaking up and giving proof of government war crimes or spying on people.
    The law is rarely called "the censorship bill", but people get fired, deplatformed, shunned by the "community" of professionals or other kinds, become "free agents" in perpetuity, etc.
    Everything you say can and will be used against you in the court of the biased public opinion and that has serious consequences for your personal and family life.

• adlyadly Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    I would argue that the US has a freer stand on speech than the UK or Europe.

For example, in the US you can publish a Nazi web site or publish an anti-homosexuality book or hold a conference to denounce Islam and all of that is protected speech. In some European countries, those things are crimes.

I agree. The US relationship with free speech is borderline fanatical to the point of it being viewed as a shield from any consequences regardless of what is ‘said’.

Europe in general recognises that certain things, such as the incitement of hatred, shouldn’t qualify as protected speech and there are consequences for saying such things. You’re still free to hold your old beliefs.

Thanked by 1raindog308
    edited August 2021

@adly said: You’re still free to hold your old beliefs.

That has nothing to do with free speech. Speaking up in the shower against the regime or mumbling to yourself has nothing to do with free speech. Free speech can only be in a public place where many people can listen or read. What you say to your spouse or family can't be included.

@adly said: I agree. The US relationship with free speech is borderline fanatical to the point of it being viewed as a shield from any consequences regardless of what is ‘said’.

And that is how it should be, just that it is very far from the ideal. Protecting free speech does not mean you do not use the law against the people speaking their mind, it also means that they should be protected by the law from any consequences. So, firing someone should be illegal as long as it is due to opinions expressed in public, for example, the same way it should be illegal to fire someone due to their sex (for being pregnant, for example) due to their colour of skin, sexual orientation or identity, in general, anything you can't and shouldn't change to "fit in". It is protecting diversity, it is keeping us from becoming a lockstep society incapable of change and progress.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • adlyadly Veteran

@Maounique said:
    That has nothing to do with free speech. Speaking up in the shower against the regime or mumbling to yourself has nothing to do with free speech. Free speech can only be in a public place where many people can listen or read. What you say to your spouse or family can't be included.

Agree. But European nations have decided that certain rights are more important than individual free speech and have banned certain things, as @raindog308 highlighted. Perhaps this is undue censorship or perhaps it will eventually descend into it - that’s what they’ve decided - my comment was mainly to highlight that even extremist beliefs can still be held without punishment.

edited August 2021

@adly said: my comment was mainly to highlight that even extremist beliefs can still be held without punishment.

Yes, but you can't punish anyone for that as long as you can't read their mind. The fact someone holds "extremist" beliefs can only be proven by interrogating someone which heard or read such beliefs and that is STILL punished at least by surveillance, blocking the right to free travel, "vetting undesirables" from certain jobs and positions, etc.

There are many ways to punish someone for their beliefs, not only jailing, torture and the death penalty.

Until free speech is truly protected by the law, there is no free speech without anonymity, except for people which have nothing to lose already, which have already been fired, evicted from their land, family already jailed or shot, which are already threatened on a regular basis and anything else they can say will not make any difference.

• @deank said:
    Just don't practice your free speech on your significant other unless you like sleeping on sofa.

superb comment
    like this
    and
    thanks

• adlyadly Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Yes, but you can't punish anyone for that as long as you can't read their mind. The fact someone holds "extremist" beliefs can only be proven by interrogating someone which heard or read such beliefs and that is STILL punished at least by surveillance, blocking the right to free travel, "vetting undesirables" from certain jobs and positions, etc. There are many ways to punish someone for their beliefs, not only jailing, torture and the death penalty.

Many European nations have their way of dealing with this, including laws against discrimination based on beliefs, etc. But again this is balanced with other rights and the rights other individuals enjoy. There are, of course, many nuances to this and I’m sure it doesn’t always work out as the law is written.

Whether it is better both for society and the individual as a whole than the US system which is the extreme opposite end can be debated. I don’t know the complete answer. Many European nations have their reasoning for such laws that the US has (yet) to deal with. Time will tell which approach survives.

• @Francisco said: To be honest i'd rather see people turn into VPS customers. I've been thinking about making some great plans (3 - 4GB RAM, 2 - 3 E5 cores) to get people moving off resellers to VPS instead.

Jesus Francis... OK god damn it. We will switch to VPS. And keep memories of how affordable and reliable BuyShared was without the hassle of managing a VPS/Slab/Storage whatever.

Just kidding. I like BS. Will stay on shared till the last minute :wink:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DreamCaster said:

@Francisco said: To be honest i'd rather see people turn into VPS customers. I've been thinking about making some great plans (3 - 4GB RAM, 2 - 3 E5 cores) to get people moving off resellers to VPS instead.

Jesus Francis... OK god damn it. We will switch to VPS. And keep memories of how affordable and reliable BuyShared was without the hassle of managing a VPS/Slab/Storage whatever.

Just kidding. I like BS. Will stay on shared till the last minute :wink:

Oh I was going to put icing on that one, make it $7/m or something.

Francisco

@DreamCaster said: I like BS.

ditto

Thanked by 1DreamCaster
  • @raindog308 said:

@Maounique said: Today, but those things will come after you later. What if Trump succeeded on the 6th of January? What if the Supreme Court or Pence or whatever combination of Congress and states would have put him there? Those things would come to hunt you and your average joe can dig that up and threaten you or worse.

The American tradition of free speech is very deeply woven into our culture. We've even resisted altruistic limits like Canada's "hate speech" laws. I think your example proves this - we spent 4 years with vociferous anti-Trump content on every conceivable platform, from major media to individual posters.

You can replace Trump with Obama and 4 with 8. And then repeat again.

@Maounique said: There are countless bloggers, journalists, even average youtubers/tiktokers/etc which are resting two feet underground in the fortunate event their bodies could be found.

There are not and this is complete nonsense.

Isn't there something about free speech doesn't mean free from consequences? E.g. a punch in the nose if your speech gives me butthurt.

• Free speech is with the government, not criminals.

• @hyperblast said:
    as long as the taliban are allowed to publish their crap on twitter and trump is blocked on twitter, there is something wrong with free speech.

Can you point to a tweet that should have gotten them banned? Because with Trump, there were tons.

• @Saragoldfarb said:

@Francisco said:

@Saragoldfarb said: You're not gonna discontinue the plans I hope? Existing ones I mean. I've been enjoying my little shared account in LUX for years. Hard to beat, and hard to find another host I trust as much as you guys.

Depends if you're cPanel/Directadmin. Word around the company at the moment is that cPanel will be fully discontinued when the next price hike happens.

We'll make Directadmin plans for all shared users that they will be migrated to. User prices will be reduced on both shared & resellers back to the $2/$4/$7 for resellers, and $5y/$10y/$15y for shared.

Both cPanel & DA plans will lose their dedicated IP's in exchange will gain free DDOS Protection up to layer 4. Our original reasoning for giving the dedicated IP addresses has gone away with us including mailchannels and the likes.

Francisco

Still on CP but wouldn't mind DA. Any chance you'll be offering a dedicated IP as a payed add on? I like the easy way to point a domain to the server. I occasionally use a call to action domain for news/promotion, takes no additional configuration. Could use a small VM as a reverse proxy instead though.

"CP" is not the shorthand for cpanel. Use cP. "CP" is something else you don't want.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @Francisco said:

@Saragoldfarb said: Still on CP but wouldn't mind DA. Any chance you'll be offering a dedicated IP as a payed add on? I like the easy way to point a domain to the server. I occasionally use a call to action domain for news/promotion, takes no additional configuration. Could use a small VM as a reverse proxy instead though.

Possible but unlikely.

To be honest i'd rather see people turn into VPS customers. I've been thinking about making some great plans (3 - 4GB RAM, 2 - 3 E5 cores) to get people moving off resellers to VPS instead. I haven't worked out the details, it's mostly trying to judge which will be more work for us.

I spent a good bit of last night working on my provisioning scripts for a Directadmin template so that'll save us a lot of time.

Francisco

You're going to be wrong about how little/much work shared hoster resellers actually want to do. Switching to VPS will add tons more management overhead. Sure, some will convert, the majority will just go to another DA/cP provider.

Shared hosting got too cheap.

If you can get by on shared hosting limits, one should. It's usually shit like inode limits, root access, or disk space that really forces one to get a VPS.

• @Maounique said:
    I am from Europe as well. I used to be beaten by my parents for speaking my mind and landing them into trouble :P I even gave written statement to "Militia" the Police equivalent at 13.

You mean snitched?

edited August 2021

@TimboJones said:

You're going to be wrong about how little/much work shared hoster resellers actually want to do. Switching to VPS will add tons more management overhead. Sure, some will convert, the majority will just go to another DA/cP provider.

If you can get by on shared hosting limits, one should. It's usually shit like inode limits, root access, or disk space that really forces one to get a VPS.

And that's why it'd be marketed to people that are experienced but can't afford bigger plans.

Last week I wrote a new auditing script that helped us track per reseller resource usage (CPU only, memory doesn't matter as much) and found multiple resellers that were burning upwards of 300% CPU..on a $4/month service.

Cloudlinux doesn't have a breakdown/overview of that information.

Anyway, there's multiple people that should be on a VPS but can't afford the $45/month for a proper sized Slice. The idea behind these plans is people turn in their reseller and get this plan. No plan transfers to other customers, no 'buying extras', it's a pure 1:1 swap.

The nodes will quickly calm down (since in reality it's only 3 - 4 resellers per node pushing it crazy), which means we can merge things down, freeing gear & IP's for slices.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

And that's why it'd be marketed to people that are experienced but can't afford bigger plans.

Last week I wrote a new auditing script that helped us track per reseller resource usage (CPU only, memory doesn't matter as much) and found multiple resellers that were burning upwards of 300% CPU..on a $4/month service.

Cloudlinux doesn't have a breakdown/overview of that information.

Anyway, there's multiple people that should be on a VPS but can't afford the $45/month for a proper sized Slice. The idea behind these plans is people turn in their reseller and get this plan. No plan transfers to other customers, no 'buying extras', it's a pure 1:1 swap.

The nodes will quickly calm down (since in reality it's only 3 - 4 resellers per node pushing it crazy), which means we can merge things down, freeing gear & IP's for slices.

Francisco

Or they'll go somewhere else to get the free 300% cpu for $4/mo.

I think time+management hassle far outweighs sticking with what they're currently doing.

Or they'll go somewhere else to get the free 300% cpu for $4/mo.

I think time+management hassle far outweighs sticking with what they're currently doing.

Many places are now moving to 'reseller limits' where the reseller as a whole is restricted to a certain amount. You can look around at what other shared people are doing but you aren't going to find 300% easily.

But, then again, i doubt many have written the audit scripts to find this happening.

We were unaware of it until just last week. We ended up locking the super crazy heavy users down and the nodes haven't been this quiet since inception.

Francisco

@TimboJones said: You mean snitched?

When kids are speaking against/joking about the government, the parents are usually "guilty".

• @TimboJones said:

@hyperblast said:
    as long as the taliban are allowed to publish their crap on twitter and trump is blocked on twitter, there is something wrong with free speech.

Can you point to a tweet that should have gotten them banned? Because with Trump, there were tons.

sure:

۳/۴زه ددې سترې فتحې له امله عالیقدر امیرالمؤمنین شیخ هبةالله اخندزاده صاحب، محترمو معاونین صاحبانو، د سنګر مجاهدینو، داسلامي امارت اعضاوو او افغان مسلمان ملت ته د زړه له کومې مبارکي وایم.الله تعالی دې نور ګران هیواد له یرغلونو او مصایبو وساتي او

edited August 2021

@hyperblast said: ۳/۴زه ددې سترې فتحې له امله عالیقدر امیرالمؤمنین شیخ هبةالله اخندزاده صاحب، محترمو معاونین صاحبانو، د سنګر مجاهدینو، داسلامي امارت اعضاوو او افغان مسلمان ملت ته د زړه له کومې مبارکي وایم.الله تعالی دې نور ګران هیواد له یرغلونو او مصایبو وساتي او

0 reasons to ban them. They celebrate their victory and congratulate themselves. The victory is real against a corrupted government propped from outside and was mostly bloodless too.

• @hyperblast said:

@TimboJones said:

@hyperblast said:

sure:

Exploiting the loophole of I don't know what the fuck they're saying.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2021

In my teens and twenties, I thought free speech was a good thing. Now I realize free speech is good only if its factual. Problem is, who can actually fact check perception/feelings - is there a body trusted to do that? And down the rabit hole it goes...

Thanked by 2chihcherng iKeyZ