Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jbiloh and admins, please get our community working! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jbiloh and admins, please get our community working!

Comments

• Are those Black Friday deals still active? Noice!

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said: There is no relationship between LowEndBox and ColoCrossing. The parent company of ColoCrossing sold LowEndBox in January 2020.

If I'm not mistaken, you still run ColoCrossing - correct?

So it seems like the owner of LEB and the president(?) of CC are the same person and the president of a company would have an interest in continuing sales and growth. (Especially with the upcoming (potential) loss of a large customer like Virmach)

@jbiloh said: RackNerd's marketing department is well oiled and I personally find it impressive. Other providers would be well suited to mimic some of their actions.

Sure, marketing goes great when you keep unsinking his threads. Mods have confirmed this - that they sink his threads only for them to float back up like a turd.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • If I didn’t already have a VPS, I would jump on those deals!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said: you wouldn't be facing this backlash

Backlash? In point of fact, RackNerd was voted the top provider last time we took a poll. By you. The community.

So yes, his threads keep bobbing up. The adult way to handle this is to make a suggestion/open a thread/send a PM/flag some posts and say "this provider's posts are clogging up the site".

I've set some of his older threads to sink.

@NobodyInteresting said: Aside from spamming the forums with your offers and running the biggest scam known to LET (to date) called AlphaRacks - what else have you contributed to the community?

Seriously, "the biggest scam known to LET"? Not even.

@default said: And these are done by you?! Oh wait, it's not you, it's a moderator.

Actually some are - I think over two dozen at this point. They're provided to the community and RackNerd is not paid for them. Obviously, he includes a mention of his company which is perfectly fine. Here is a recent example.

By the way, any other provider who wishes to do this is more than welcome to.

@default said: You were not the first nor the last in giveaways. Your giveaways are done to increase profits and defeat the posting rules by creating exposure. Thank you.

What posting rules is he "defeating"? The giveaways are very popular and people like them. Are you saying you don't want them here? Because that is a very minority opinion. You're seriously complaining that a provider is giving free stuff away?

@NobodyInteresting said: Wait, so YOU keep the community alive? Forgive me, but I call that BS. The ads on here are the cheapest ads that I have seen in a while (seriously, $100/m for a banner?!).

Obviously, RackNerd does not exclusively keep LET alive but they are a major advertiser.

To be blunt, LET/LEB costs a ton of time and effort to run because (a) it's a forum which takes a lot more horsepower just due to the nature of forum software, (b) it's vanilla, (c) DDoS attacks, and (d) all the other things that go in running a community. Advertisers make LET/LEB possible. There would be no LET/LEB without them.

@NobodyInteresting said: So to put this in perspective for you - you are not the one that moves this community forward. Its us - the users that do it.

This is also true, which is why it's a symbiotic relationship. Eyeballs create a market for LEB buyers which attracts providers who buy ads. LET is a bit extraordinary in that even the poorest provider can effectively market themselves by posting offers. Some want more and buy ads. So yes, absolutely, the users are vital and drive the community but it's all part of the same circle.

@jbiloh said: This is not correct. There is no relationship between LowEndBox and ColoCrossing. The parent company of ColoCrossing sold LowEndBox in January 2020. What vendors RackNerd uses has no impact on their ability to utilize the exposure opportunities available to all providers, here on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.

This is true. There is absolutely no direction or secret rule to give CC hosts preference here or on LEB. Since I write up all the offers on LEB, I can tell you I have never once been asked to give anybody preference.

A few realities:

(1) Most hosts are lazy. I was joking about this with @jbiloh just the other day and we both agreed it's amazing. I can't tell you how many hosts I've reached out to and asked if they'd like to do a free interview, submit a press release, provide a story or something to get free advertising. Free. Advertising. I've periodically posted articles about free things providers can do. You'd be appalled at how few respond and how few take us up.

(2) OTOH, @dustinc is very eager and often proactive. He posts popular offers, sponsors giveaways, contributes content, and often gives me "camera ready" content that is easy to post. Don't criticize him just because he works harder than other hosts.

(3) There is a long tradition on LET of carping about ownership and to some extent it was justified in the past. I think LET today is as transparent as it's ever been. People joke about @jbiloh wanting more clicks, etc...well, of course, silly. He's the one who ponied up money to buy the sites and the one paying for them monthly. You have an independent owner who still allows anyone to post nearly anything, reasonably orderly sales threads, oftentimes incredible offers, and a strong community spirit. Although the end may be nigh for a lot of things, LET readership is growing and the sites are performing well.

(4) So where's the beef? If you have suggestions, have mods ever refused to consider them? (corleone voice) When have we ever refused a favor or not given an accommodation? (/coreleone voice). To some extent, there's a group of people still living in the past, and there are trolls who would probably troll a site handing out free $100 bills. Troll on if you wish, but ultimately LET/LEB are flourishing and serving the community.

I'm opening up a Meta category for discussion of site improvements, complaints, bugs, and other feedback. Please use it.

• Tldr >:)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@redcat said:
    Tldr >:)

Can't please them all :)

• @stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

@Harambe said:
    If it isn't clear already - Racknerd gets special privileges where threads don't sink because they're moving servers from CC.

I don't think any amount of bitching will change that because bumping offer threads moves more Racknerd VPS's, which moves more CC servers.

This is not correct. There is no relationship between LowEndBox and ColoCrossing. The parent company of ColoCrossing sold LowEndBox in January 2020. What vendors RackNerd uses has no impact on their ability to utilize the exposure opportunities available to all providers, here on LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.

Our users are our life blood. For them, I am immensely thankful. I'm also grateful for the contributions of our content creators, admins, moderators, developers, system admins and advertisers. Without the entirety of all components our community couldn't be successful.

RackNerd's marketing department is well oiled and I personally find it impressive. Other providers would be well suited to mimic some of their actions.

Yes, RackNerd supports our community in an immense way through ads. Yes, they get the benefit of clicks from those banners. Just like all of our advertisers, I'm glad our ads provide an acceptable ROI.

Can you answer why @VirMach's thread was set to sink?

I'm guessing that would be a big "nope".

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@redcat said: Totally Legit, Demigod Raindog

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Okay so since this thread got derailed, I might as well...

If the Virmach thread was sunk, what usually is the criteria for such threads to be sunk. I think I read it could be due to age, just want to understand this. If there isn't really a criteria that is standard or near standard, then I see why that would upset people.

Personally, if a thread is as popular as another thread for good cause (not spammy), don't see why it should be sunk - since I am pretty sure a lot of work would have been done (wrt offers) and if I was a provider, I would love to keep my sales going. I could be oversimplifying this because maybe mods and admins try to avoid old threads being resurrected?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stevewatson301 said:

@dustinc said: Thanked by: yoursunny

Truly sorry to see @yoursunny has stopped spearheading the IPv6 movement on LET. He now thanks posts from a provider that doesn't have IPv6.

RackNerd has IPv6 in Los Angeles DC-02.
    They are still on The List because there's no IPv6 in other locations such as Ashburn.

Putting "thanks" on a comment is a reaction to this particular comment.
    It does not imply agreement of everything the recipient said.

@raindog308 said:
    Although the end may be nigh for a lot of things

LET leadership just asked to join the Nigh Sect.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@risharde said:
    Okay so since this thread got derailed, I might as well...

If the Virmach thread was sunk, what usually is the criteria for such threads to be sunk. I think I read it could be due to age, just want to understand this. If there isn't really a criteria that is standard or near standard, then I see why that would upset people.

Personally, if a thread is as popular as another thread for good cause (not spammy), don't see why it should be sunk - since I am pretty sure a lot of work would have been done (wrt offers) and if I was a provider, I would love to keep my sales going. I could be oversimplifying this because maybe mods and admins try to avoid old threads being resurrected?

There is internal dialog happening as we try to understand why the Virnach thread was sunk. Vanilla doesn't log these things.

Whatever the conclusion is, an even application of process and treatment is important. So we will get it right.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I've periodically posted articles about free things providers can do.

"Top providers, Faustus!"

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, explanations and ideas wrt to the problem in my OP!

@jbiloh Thanks for apparently having turned some screws ... I'll try again.

Edit: Blocked again by CloudF#&$!

To hopefully help you to debug this: My post is relatively long but there is no code, HTML, CSS or special characters in it. Actually it's very similar to my other benchmarks/reviews which worked more or less without trouble. It seems that some parameters in your config have changed or that CF has changed something.

I'll closely follow this thread as well as my PMs during the next hours in case you have any questions or want me to test-retry posting my stuff.

@jsg said:
    Thanks to all who offered suggestions, explanations and ideas wrt to the problem in my OP!

@jbiloh Thanks for apparently having turned some screws ... I'll try again.

Edit: Blocked again by CloudF#&$!

To hopefully help you to debug this: My post is relatively long but there is no code, HTML, CSS or special characters in it. Actually it's very similar to my other benchmarks/reviews which worked more or less without trouble. It seems that some parameters in your config have changed or that CF has changed something.

I'll closely follow this thread as well as my PMs during the next hours in case you have any questions or want me to test-retry posting my stuff.

Do me a favor and send me an email with what you're trying to post. Sorry for the trouble. I'll pm you my email address.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @yoursunny said:
    LET leadership just asked to join the Nigh Sect.

I don't think he/she qualifies to join the Nigh Sect. A leader can have impact and influence on the interpretation of Nigh, thereby affecting how the Ending is perceived as a whole, while making the sect obsolete in it's fundamental teachings.

• @jsg said:

@DP said:
    Well, for starters or while that's being sorted out, why not just post it on pastebin/0bin temporarily and then create a thread with a hyperlink to it?

Once the CF crap is fixed, I'm sure an admin or a mod would be kind enough to help you to edit the thread and post the contents here.

Thanks for the suggestion but shouldn't we expect that this site here allows us to create content without any third party, especially an utterly incompetent one like CF, intervening and disabling us?

@giang said:
    You can write the review in Word or any software that support writing.

Then screenshot it and post here...

Why would I do that? LET - by itself, without the CF plague - does offer all that's needed to write and publish posts.

It's the length. Make more smaller posts.

• @raindog308 said:

@NobodyInteresting said: Why sink some posts and not sink this guys posts from Black Friday last year?!

Those threads pop up because people keep replying to them. If the community stops replying to them, they will sink naturally. Apparently people want to continue discussing them.

Ban them.

@TimboJones said:
    It's the length. Make more smaller posts.

Yes, possibly. But I did try to make the posts shorter, but alas it didn't work.

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    I spend roughly between $4500 and $5500 per month on providers from LET

Wtf do you do with them?

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

Great question, I wondered the same!

• @TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

Work stuff :-)

@NobodyInteresting said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

You probably spend more than almost any others.

• @jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

You probably spend more than almost any others.

I highly doubt that tbh. Do not underestimate the users that don't participate in threads :-)

• @raindog308 said:
    Seriously, "the biggest scam known to LET"? Not even.

I've been here a few years and Alpha Racks does stand out as the biggest scam. If you easily remembered a bigger one off the top of your head, you should have said it!

@jbiloh said: This is not correct. There is no relationship between LowEndBox and ColoCrossing.

Didn't you say you still contract/consult with CC? That's the least amount of Kevin Bacons away.

(4) So where's the beef?

It's clearly because they believe Dustin to be Alpha Racks and another scam is cooking (and LET allowing/enabling it). Unless you can convince them Dustin didn't profit from Alpha Racks, you're not going to resolve their issues.

Personally, I think their pricing is unsustainable and have too much overhead, so while I have no idea if Dustin owned Alpha Racks, I don't see them being profitable the legit way.

• @NobodyInteresting said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

Wtf do you do with them?

Expand.

• @Maounique said:

"Top providers, Faustus!"

maybe it applies in general, probably on all systems.
    high rank, have high rights
    OTOH very low on freedom

• edited August 2021

@dahartigan said:
    We also need less scams here.
    Some of the scams these past 12 months have been easy to spot..boomer.

Boomer.host is a scammer? Evidence?

@ezeth

FYI: I'm pleased to announce that the review is finally online -> https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173348/contabo-new-raw-nvme-speed-product-line-benchmark-review

A big THANK YOU to @jbiloh for his friendly help and support!

Thanked by 1vedran
  • edited August 2021

@raindog308 said:
    ...which you [Steve Watson] failed to make because you're not actually interested in improving the site.

You don't have a right to assume @stevewatson301 doesn't want to improve this site. If LET followed Steve's advice and stopped playing favorites with those like @dustinc who resell ColoCrossing, LET would be vastly more fair.

You would have to have your head buried in the sand not to notice resellers of ColoCrossing are given special treatment at LET due to LET's owner being a consultant for ColoCrossing.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur default
  • @Offshore_Solutions said:

@dahartigan said:
    We also need less scams here.
    Some of the scams these past 12 months have been easy to spot..boomer.

Boomer.host is a scammer? Evidence?

@ezeth

An anonymous informant told me.