Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What OS should i use as a CentOS replacement for web servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What OS should i use as a CentOS replacement for web servers?

2»

Comments

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

for network application FreeBSD is probably better

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • I used Alma Linux on 1 production server a few weeks ago, haven't had any problems yet

• nfnnfn Veteran

I moved to RL. So far so good!

• @Proxecure said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    I use RHEL personally and it works well for me.

RHEL No-Cost version you are using ?

Yes, still same as the regular enterprise one according to my experience (I also manage an enterprise subscription for an educational institution but I don't use it for my server), just no support. I'd dare to say it's the most polished Linux OS I have ever used, I even use it as a desktop, LOL.

• @quicksilver03 said:

@itsnotv said:
    Fedora isn't acceptable for a server, remember the time they made cgroups v2 the default and broke docker?

For a non-sequitur, that's a nice one. I guess that your definition of "server" excludes Fedora, but couldn't you just present it better?

https://fedoramagazine.org/docker-and-fedora-32/

This is why I would never use Fedora on a server. Imagine running a routine upgrade and then scrambling to find a fix because docker doesn't work anymore.

The 6 month release cycle isn't ideal for a server, and with every upgrade you run the risk of an unbootable server. I would rather stick with stable RHEL fork like CentOS/Rocky/Alma and just pull the latest versions of softwares from repo or run them in docker.

• @edoarudo5 said:

@Proxecure said:

@edoarudo5 said:

Yes, still same as the regular enterprise one according to my experience (I also manage an enterprise subscription for an educational institution but I don't use it for my server), just no support. I'd dare to say it's the most polished Linux OS I have ever used, I even use it as a desktop, LOL.

But they provide security updates regularly? Isn't

• @nfn said:

Any compatibility issue ? Which control panel you are using ?

• @Proxecure said:

@edoarudo5 said:

@Proxecure said:

@edoarudo5 said:

But they provide security updates regularly? Isn't

Yes, they do, provided that your (developer) subscription is active.

• Debian

• @Proxecure said:

@adly said:
    Why not AlmaLinux? CloudLinux has experience managing a RHEL fork.

I am unable to trust Alma Linux,

but you trusted Centos (8) and they broke y(our) trust.

• Ubuntu is the king of the Jungle.

Thanked by 1AndrewL64
  • nfnnfn Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Proxecure said:

@nfn said:

I use pure RL and I haven't had any problems.

Be sure to read the release notes:
    https://docs.rockylinux.org/release_notes/8.4/

I think Rsyslog problem was solved and Secure Boot is underway.

RL chat channels are full of people that can help if something won't go as expected.

• @nfn said:

@Proxecure said:

@nfn said:

I use pure RL and I haven't had any problems.

Be sure to read the release notes:
    https://docs.rockylinux.org/release_notes/8.4/

I think Rsyslog problem was solved and Secure Boot is underway.

RL chat channels are full of people that can help if something won't go as expected.

Thanks 👍 but I have migrated to RHEL

Thanked by 1nfn
  • @Proxecure said:
    I am currently using centos 8 on my 4 Web servers which is supported until December 2021, so I have to migrate, I am confused between these 3 alternatives,

1-Rocky Linux ( which is very new in market)
    2-Oracle Linux
    3-RHEL (No-Cost a free version which supports 26 systems)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions 😊 finally I have decided to Install RHEL and I found it's very light on server resources 🙂

• @Proxecure said:
    finally I have decided to Install RHEL and I found it's very light on server resources 🙂

Well, it's identical to what you had before (CentOS 8), so I should hope so. It's not like you're installing a totally different distribution.

Only the subscription/update model of RHEL would be slightly different from the derivatives, from what I've read.

Thanked by 1Proxecure
  • adlyadly Veteran

Not sure about the ‘hate’ of AlmaLinux; yes, CloudLinux and the company don’t appear to be great open source citizens, but they’ve made commitments for AlmaLinux.

That said, I personally use Debian-based distros so perhaps I’m missing something.

• @aj_potc said:

@Proxecure said:
    finally I have decided to Install RHEL and I found it's very light on server resources 🙂

Well, it's identical to what you had before (CentOS 8), so I should hope so. It's not like you're installing a totally different distribution.

Only the subscription/update model of RHEL would be slightly different from the derivatives, from what I've read.

The thing I like most is , I can check for errors and updates for all machines running on RHEL from my mobile by logging in to my rhel account, there is no need to login to each server and check for updates and errors.
    So 5***** for RHEL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Proxecure said: The thing I like most is , I can check for errors and updates for all machines running on RHEL from my mobile by logging in to my rhel account, there is no need to login to each server and check for updates and errors.

So you don't trust CloudLinux because they might someday publish paid add-ons to a GPL project...but you do trust IBM (one of the titans of proprietary software) not to change its mind about making RHEL free...?

I mean, party on but I don't see the logic.

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said:
    So you don't trust CloudLinux because they might someday publish paid add-ons to a GPL project...but you do trust IBM (one of the titans of proprietary software) not to change its mind about making RHEL free...?

In all fairness, IBM/RHEL only seem to care about paid support and the like; CloudLinux is built upon their somewhat proprietary code and it’s benefit to the hosting industry (and others…).

• active8active8 Member
    edited August 2021

Almalinux, works flawless after migration from Centos 8 box with DirectAdmin

• rcxbrcxb Member

@itsnotv said:
    Fedora isn't acceptable for a server, remember the time they made cgroups v2 the default and broke docker?

Yes I do. Remove docker, install podman and make a shortcut if you can't remember that, and you were all done: alias docker='podman'

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • I prefer RHEL

• @Proxecure said:
    I am currently using centos 8 on my 4 Web servers which is supported until December 2021, so I have to migrate, I am confused between these 3 alternatives,

1-Rocky Linux ( which is very new in market)
    2-Oracle Linux
    3-RHEL (No-Cost a free version which supports 26 systems)

I would like to suggest going for CentOS 7 64bit for all the support that you need.

• I want to build a RHEL fork just for fun. Anyone with good knowledge about debranding, rpmdevtools, mock, koji builder, lots of spec files and other things?

• @Boogeyman said:
    I want to build a RHEL fork just for fun. Anyone with good knowledge about debranding, rpmdevtools, mock, koji builder, lots of spec files and other things?

You can start here: https://forums.rockylinux.org/t/step-by-step-process-for-forking-rebuild-rhel/192

I wanted to do it as well (just for fun), but gave up (for now) because the debranding process seems to be a lot of manual work...

OTOH and OT: Does anyone know the legality of not debranding the sources, rebuilding the sources, and then distributing the binaries?

• @wpyoga said: You can start here: https://forums.rockylinux.org/t/step-by-step-process-for-forking-rebuild-rhel/192

I wanted to do it as well (just for fun), but gave up (for now) because the debranding process seems to be a lot of manual work...

OTOH and OT: Does anyone know the legality of not debranding the sources, rebuilding the sources, and then distributing the binaries?

I got this far with the help of Internet and Rocky Linux wiki. They even added in their docs which packages need debranding. And if you don't debrand Red Hat will likely come after you.

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Windows is prem.

• And if you don't debrand Red Hat will likely come after you.

Does it not fall under fair use? I'm wondering how the law applies here.