Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What OS should i use as a CentOS replacement for web servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What OS should i use as a CentOS replacement for web servers?

I am currently using centos 8 on my 4 Web servers which is supported until December 2021, so I have to migrate, I am confused between these 3 alternatives,

1-Rocky Linux ( which is very new in market)
2-Oracle Linux
3-RHEL (No-Cost a free version which supports 26 systems)

Comments

• I use RHEL personally and it works well for me.

• Debian 11 or Ubuntu 20.04

Thanked by 1tjn
  • adlyadly Veteran

Why not AlmaLinux? CloudLinux has experience managing a RHEL fork.

Thanked by 2MannDude raindog308
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

CentOS 7.9 (support until 2024)

• @redcat said:
    Debian 11 or Ubuntu 20.04

I would prefer RHEL based OS

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I use RHEL personally and it works well for me.

RHEL No-Cost version you are using ?

• @adly said:

I am unable to trust Alma Linux,

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Proxecure said:

@adly said:

What aspect of it don't you trust?

Then try RockyLinux, I guess. You said you wanted RHEL based, want to replace CentOS and the options are relatively limited for known, actively developed projects.

I've got limited RHEL experience since I've always been a Debian-Dude but Alma seems pretty well regarded right now.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said: What aspect of it don't you trust?

Some people are upset there's a cPanel guy on the board. Whatever. What is there to "trust"? It's the RHEL packages recompiled. What dark deeds do people think are going on behind the scenes?

If it's for personal small scale use, use RHEL. Or if you want to be all libre about things, Rocky or Alma. I'd use Alma if I wanted a RHEL-derived distro because I like CloudLinux. But I don't.

@Proxecure said: 2-Oracle Linux

OEL is free to download but updates require a rather expensive support subscription. RHEL (with its free-for-small-use provision) is a better choice than OEL unless you're a hardcore Oracle shop.

• @Proxecure said:

When stating things like that, you should explain why. It will help people make suggestions that address those specific concerns (or simply not waste your time recommending things for which the same concerns would be equally valid).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @raindog308 said:

OEL is free to download but updates require a rather expensive support subscription. RHEL (with its free-for-small-use provision) is a better choice than OEL unless you're a hardcore Oracle shop.

Yeah, OEL is out if consideration because of Paid Support,

So rocky or RHEL ? Rocky claims to be all time free and on the other hand RHEL , who know they might stop supporting no-cost subscription in future,

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Proxecure said:

When stating things like that, you should explain why. It will help people make suggestions that address those specific concerns (or simply not waste your time recommending things for which the same concerns would be equally valid).

Well, I mean they are not Not pioneers of free software they may devolve into a bunch of paid addons.

• itsnotvitsnotv Member
    edited August 2021

I prefer Almalinux, they were the first the get a final build out and they have the expertise to do this kind of stuff.

It is very unlikely providers will offer oracle linux images and their migration script seems to be broken for 8.4.

Redhat might change their terms anytime like they did with CentOS.

RockyLinux and Almalinux both have excellent migration scripts that will easily covert from RHEL or any RHEL based distro. You are not stuck if you choose either.

• My suggestion would be Fedora: RPM-based so it won't be much too different administration-wise, many more packages and much newer versions than what you can find in any CentOS or RedHat clone.

• FreeBSD

• redcatredcat Member
    edited August 2021

@quicksilver03 said:
    My suggestion would be Fedora: RPM-based so it won't be much too different administration-wise, many more packages and much newer versions than what you can find in any CentOS or RedHat clone.

6 month upgrade cycle is a pita for servers

• @redcat said:

@quicksilver03 said:
    My suggestion would be Fedora: RPM-based so it won't be much too different administration-wise, many more packages and much newer versions than what you can find in any CentOS or RedHat clone.

Fedora isn't acceptable for a server, remember the time they made cgroups v2 the default and broke docker?

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @itsnotv said:

@redcat said:

@quicksilver03 said:

Fedora isn't acceptable for a server, remember the time they made cgroups v2 the default and broke docker?

Interesting that you bring that up. I don't know enough about the subject but I do recall seeing that in the new debian bullseye, systemd defaults to using control groups v2

• adlyadly Veteran

@redcat said:
    Interesting that you bring that up. I don't know enough about the subject but I do recall seeing that in the new debian bullseye, systemd defaults to using control groups v2

Comparing Fedora (with a 6-month update and short support cycle) with Debian (3 year security updates / 5 year LTS with each version) isn't really fair.

There are many options available for servers, both RHEL-based and Debian-based, some with very long support cycles and commercial support available (RHEL, Ubuntu Server), but Fedora isn't one of them.

• @adly said:

@redcat said:

Comparing Fedora (with a 6-month update and short support cycle) with Debian (3 year security updates / 5 year LTS with each version) isn't really fair.

There are many options available for servers, both RHEL-based and Debian-based, some with very long support cycles and commercial support available (RHEL, Ubuntu Server), but Fedora isn't one of them.

RHEL is best, but I was confused about their No-Cost distribution, maybe at some they stop supporting it ,

@Proxecure said: RHEL is best, but I was confused about their No-Cost distribution, maybe at some they stop supporting it

Well, if you don't trust Alma, don't want to pay for OEL, and are uneasy about RHEL's future, then you've narrowed your options to Rocky.

• @raindog308 said:

@Proxecure said: RHEL is best, but I was confused about their No-Cost distribution, maybe at some they stop supporting it

Well, if you don't trust Alma, don't want to pay for OEL, and are uneasy about RHEL's future, then you've narrowed your options to Rocky.

OEL is free , isn't ? I seeks long term support and compatibility.

• @raindog308 said:

updates are free and works

Installation media and updates freely available from the Oracle Linux yum server.

From here https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/post/need-a-stable-rhel-compatible-alternative-to-centos-three-reasons-to-consider-oracle-linux

• @itsnotv said:

For a non-sequitur, that's a nice one. I guess that your definition of "server" excludes Fedora, but couldn't you just present it better?

• @adly said:

Whay? I would like to know what makes Fedora, in your opinion, not a good option for servers.

@coolice said: updates are free and works

Interesting- I guess things have changed. In years past you could download OEL but if you wanted to do a "yum update" you needed a support subscription. Nice.

But if OP is concerned about RHEL changing terms, there's no way he'd even consider Oracle LOL

Thanked by 2coolice wpyoga
  • adlyadly Veteran

@quicksilver03 said:

@adly said:

Whay? I would like to know what makes Fedora, in your opinion, not a good option for servers.

The short lifecycle is the main problem, along with the fact it's not tested to the same degree as the commercially supported server OS (RHEL, Ubuntu).

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @adly said:
    The short lifecycle is the main problem, along with the fact it's not tested to the same degree as the commercially supported server OS (RHEL, Ubuntu).

Good point on the amount of testing, in my experience RHEL is way better than Ubuntu in this respect.

The short lifecycle can be an issue or not, depending on your policies and compliance requirements. Security-wise, a one-year old Fedora installation can be in a much better or much worse position than a Debian/Ubuntu installation done at the same time, it all depends on what was installed and what vulnerabilities were discovered inbetween.

• RockyLinux / AlmaLinux