Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM vs Feathur - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM vs Feathur

2»

Comments

• Maybe you could try hostguard.net, SonicVPS.COM using and developing it. You can consult them about license.

• Yes for KVM Template is not yet avaible and it's install from iso
    for openvz there is a lot of ready template

• Feathur is free for <5 slaves?

• @kyaky - Technically it's free for an unlimited number of slaves. You just have to release a copy of the source code to your users if you modify the code in any way. The licenses available on our site merely show that you're supporting the project and remove the requirement for you to share modified code with your users.

• @BlueVM - It sounds like you may be saying that by paying the license fee, code changes/plug ins/other modifications made by licensees then become stand alone proprietary pieces of work. If that is correct you should have an army making modifications/ additions/ plugins for providers around here real soon.

Are there any plans for one time payment licenses for not VPS providers (developers) ?

• @FrankZ - Yes and no...

You could purchase a license ($3.50 /mo), develop a plugin and then decide to sell that plugin under it's own license outside of Feathur. You could also sell said plugin without purchasing a license by releasing the code under AGPL (there's nothing saying you can't sell the code).

I'm open to discussing one time payments for licenses. Feathur wasn't built to make me money, it was built to give the community an alternative to what's already out there. The licensing is purely a way to pay for the continued cost of auditing and maintaining the project. I've invested ~$3k of my own money into the auditing, setup and design behind Feathur... I doubt I'll see that money back any time soon.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • You should setup a distributor program, and get license resellers like LicensePal to sign up.

• @Andy - I wouldn't even know where to begin on that front.

• @BlueVM said:
    kyaky - Technically it's free for an unlimited number of slaves. You just have to release a copy of the source code to your users if you modify the code in any way. The licenses available on our site merely show that you're supporting the project and remove the requirement for you to share modified code with your users.

Thanks for your reply. I just tried it on one of my VPSs as a master and a E3 Dedi for slave. I have problem with the partitioning. In wiki,it seems it doesn't mention anything about how you should setup the partition, just regular or LVM. what size is for main / swap? Thanks in advance

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited November 2013

@kyaky - For openvz or kvm?

• edited November 2013

@BlueVM, you can setup an API, and I believe WHMCS has it's own API?

• @Andy - We already have a basic API for basic admin functions. We also have a WHMCS module already prepared and working...

• Sorry this API is for

@Andy said:
    You should setup a distributor program, and get license resellers like LicensePal to sign up.

• @Andy said:
    You should setup a distributor program, and get license resellers like LicensePal to sign up.

@BlueVM said:
    Andy - I wouldn't even know where to begin on that front.

Feel free to contact us if you consider this, we'd be interested :)

• @jbiloh said:
    I'm not going to get into this one, but I will say that I like that Justin/Feathur participate on this forum and in the community. Solus could learn from them in that respect.

Not really, it's their business model. Numerous (stupid) people have already tried decompiling solus, making it source-readable will destroy their business.

Furthermore, not all their clients are LEB hosts that care about security and new features. :-P Many providers give a rat's ass about both security and new features because "if it works, it's good" mentality and generally being braindead zombies trying to make money of something they only understand half. (the majority of your customers for example)

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • @BlueVM said:
    kyaky - For openvz or kvm?

kvm