Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM vs Feathur
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM vs Feathur

edited November 2013 in General

Hello,

I would like to see opinions about SolusVM and Feathur (a new VPS control panel).

Does anyone have experiences with them, which one is better?

Thanks

EDIT: I'll use OpenVZ.

Comments

• At the moment, the discussion is really between feature-completeness (SolusVM has Xen and a working bandwidth counter) versus security (SolusVM failed multiple times recently while Feathur's main concern is security).

• I will use OpenVZ.

• I haven't used it from a provider standpoint, but BlueVM both created it and uses it in production.

I've used it as one of their customers and its not bad at all, though the intentional misspelling of the name makes me cry a bit.

If you're trying to choose between the two, I'd see if you can make Feathur work for you. It's cheaper, ostensibly more secure, and probably won't get your nodes wiped en masse.

• Feathur is looking more and more appealing by the day.

• Okay, I'll try Feathur. Does it have a working demo?

• @Andy said:
    Okay, I'll try Feathur. Does it have a working demo?

We offer Feathur and find it very good.

• It's nice to hear. Does Feathur work well with WHMCS?

• @Andy said:
    It's nice to hear. Does Feathur work well with WHMCS?

Yes we use their module.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2013

Can't compare Feathur against SolusVM.
    Feathur is still new - SolusVM has been around longer

What I see here is the initiative to have a better control panel a control panel that the user fully understand how it really works and where the user can resolve problems independently should any problem arise (security, bugs, etc).

Ramhost.us, allsimple.net, cloud3k.com, buyvm.net, and bluevm.com are among those that I know of, that wants a full control of their panel . :)

• Does anybody use BlueVM and what's the experience?

• I have been with them since October 2012.
    The glitch I experience was in mid February 2013, when they are transferring customer to new hardwares, their Kansas City data center planned outage in May 2013, in August when they are moving from HyperVM to Feathur.

I don't use BlueVM for heavy use, so I have no problem with small glitches.

• I use BlueVM, my only problems have been created by me. I find Feathur to be a good control panel, it just takes a few minutes to figure it out.

• @vRozenSch00n said:

I don't use BlueVM for heavy use, so I have no problem with small glitches.

What are the small glitches?

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited November 2013

Andy said: What are the small glitches?

Primarily, there tends to be a bit of tension around a hard change, such as hardware or AT&T running over a fibre line. Another smaller problem we have is DDoS and abuse, but I'm currently in the process of installing systems that will allow us arrest such problems much sooner and smoother, so that should be a problem of the past.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Andy I had one occasion, my website was crawled by many bots all at once, causing the CPU load and memory peaked high, so they rebooted the VPS, and notify me about the abuse and asked me to check things up.

I had the same experience with other provider, then they just suspended my VPS without warning, causing unnecessary panic and awkwardness.

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM is well known and has the reseller feature if you think of providing VPS reseller packages to customers.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

1+ for solusvm

• @Quadcone said:
    SolusVM is well known and has the reseller feature if you think of providing VPS reseller packages to customers.

I don't think VPS reseller will be profitable. The margin is already low and overselling too much is not good... I would rather setup an affiliate program.

• Reselling could be worth it, if you provide value added services. For instance buy unmanaged VPS, sell it as managed with higher price (the management comes from you)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Andy said: I don't think VPS reseller will be profitable

You can sell your serves resources to reseller clients so when they get business you get business as well. So it keeps on increasing :)

• Ramhost.us, allsimple.net, cloud3k.com, buyvm.net, and bluevm.com are among those that I know of, that wants a full control of their panel . :)

KiwiVM gets my vote for best in house panel by a low end provider.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @DomainBop said:
    KiwiVM gets my vote for best in house panel by a low end provider.

Forgot that one. BandWagonHost.com isn't it?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Feathur will take some time to get the level of solusvm

• One thing that Feathur has over SolusVM is cost, in addition to other nice things. Like security. None of that closed-source bullcrap like SolusVM has. AND it has an easy SolusVM Import Script. You can also migrate from HyperVM (should you be using that god-awful CP) but that takes much more time and effort. Mainly because HyperVM runs on EL5, while Feathur runs on EL6. Meaning you need to do a re-install.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'm not going to get into this one, but I will say that I like that Justin/Feathur participate on this forum and in the community. Solus could learn from them in that respect.

• Good point. I'm currently trying out Feathur, good so far.

• Promox is excellent, KVM/Openvz and now there is 3 panel for whmcs, maybe consider this choose too

• iconvergence said: Promox is excellent, KVM/Openvz and now there is 3 panel for whmcs, maybe consider this choose too

We testing this modules already and ordered some custom changes for us. It looks nice, but a template system must be developed in house.