Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a list of countries that ignore DMCA? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a list of countries that ignore DMCA?

2»

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@frog said: The closest you get to DMCA ignored hosting is providers that ignore copyright/DMCA infringement claims until the police show up with a court order.

Thanks. That was my understanding as well, so once Western European countries were named, it caused a lot of confusion.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@charlie said:
    ... USA things the whole world is belong to US.

That was sadly true for (too) many decades. Today they probably still think that but it's increasingly and obviously less factually true.

But careful with just laughing them off! They still do control a vast part of IT incl. most major backbones plus they still have a lot of business leverage. E.g. unless one is a rather small regional provider american officials and corporations still can basically kill your business or at least make your days hard, so for that reason most providers won't just ignore complaints from upstream, at least not significant ones (as opposed to just "yet another DMCA spam email").

Russia may be a good country but beware that they are quite serious about their own laws. As long as what you host is OK with russian laws (and the provider isn't a big USA fan (yes, those exist)) you'll be OK.
    Netherlands might be a good option, also for the reason that hosting is so massive there that a many smaller "sins" might stay ignored. But careful, NL still is EU and hence 5 eyes (plus at least 1 european version of 5 eyes most people do not even know about).
    Of all the options mentioned so far Moldavia looks like the best one to me (sorry, @charlie, I like Hungaria but Orban just recently talked about how, oh so good their partnership with (at least the Trump-) USA was/is).

Note that the above is not about liking or hating the USA (let alone its people); it's merely a sober practical view. One can in fact even like a certain people but at the same time reject their regime and/or corporations. Keep in mind that neither Biden nor Trump nor Zuckerberg are the USA. Joe Smith and Annie Brown are that is, the ca. 350 Mio people who live there.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited August 2021

@jsg said:

@charlie said:
    ... USA things the whole world is belong to US.

That was sadly true for (too) many decades. Today they probably still think that but it's increasingly and obviously less factually true.

Of all the options mentioned so far Moldavia looks like the best one to me (sorry, @charlie, I like Hungaria but Orban just recently talked about how, oh so good their partnership with (at least the Trump-) USA was/is).

You're right, the problem of Moldavia is the connection available for Datacenters, at this moment is not "biggest and largest" unfortunately, Moldavia is a country that can be considered in "development", isn't because they can't, is because they are "late" in Technology and not only, some cities are abandoned and mistreated, this is the reality.

but it's still a good option, but you have to understand that you won't find servers with 10Gbps, easily and cheaply...

Take a look a case here: https://point.md/ru/novosti/business/alexhost-posle-moshchnoi-ddos-ataki-my-v-ocherednoi-raz-dokazali-nadezhnost-servisa/

Thanked by 1jsg
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

I’m quite curious. I’m new in the whole DMCA world and haven’t really read up on it enough.

Are companies registered in the states able to get in so-called trouble letting copyrighted items hosted (in ignored countries) on their network?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@aqua said: Are companies registered in the states able to get in so-called trouble letting copyrighted items hosted (in ignored countries) on their network?

NO. In the US, DMCA reigns supreme.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:

oh so good their partnership with (at least the Trump-) USA was/is

That was true with Trump (because they are similar). There is no good relation with democrats.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @SnTHostings said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@SnTHostings said:

@Arkas said:
    Ok, thanks guys! I have a OVH server based in France!

Check Online.net, they have a better network, and are 100% ignore Copyrighted mails, OVH, can be a bit iffy.

Wutt? OVH have better network on global scale...

I have been selling seedboxes for almost 9yrs, and initially I started with OVH as well, but then i switched over to online.net because of many reasons, OVH used too(not sure if still), put bandwidth limit of 250-500mbps, the latency was always on the higher side, and at times used to send copyright notifications, however once i switched over to online.net the speed was almost always 900+mbps with lower latency and better connectivity for torrent peers and such. And almost all the time i used to get maxed out download speed compared to ovh. But thats my experience, i always found ovh network a bit slow and rigid, wheras online.net i found it to be faster and a bit more flexible.

Edit: That being said, the last time i used OVH was back in 2018 and since then i have completely switchover to online.net, leaseweb, and our own server setup in US.

I see public bandwidth limit is there in online.net servers as well.

• I think that list of countries can be really big. But at the same time we need to understand that better to specify that with certain company you are interested in. In this case you can avoid any misleading and misunderstanding.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

And in addition to @charlie: DMCA is USA specific law. But it's become common internet termin for all requests related to intellectual property protection. And in most country (include France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia) similar law exist and therefore when data center or host receive DMCA request filled in proper form they at least forward such request to end user and request take care. Depend from related risk management term data center or host can take or not take some action against customers who did not follow request.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@charlie said: That was true with Trump (because they are similar). There is

Jno good relation with democrats.

trump be duhman, he be duhman!
    Until you realize he is just another cry babay...
    :neutral:

• SnTHostingsSnTHostings Member, Host Rep

@l2o88j said:

@SnTHostings said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@SnTHostings said:

@Arkas said:
    Ok, thanks guys! I have a OVH server based in France!

Check Online.net, they have a better network, and are 100% ignore Copyrighted mails, OVH, can be a bit iffy.

Wutt? OVH have better network on global scale...

I have been selling seedboxes for almost 9yrs, and initially I started with OVH as well, but then i switched over to online.net because of many reasons, OVH used too(not sure if still), put bandwidth limit of 250-500mbps, the latency was always on the higher side, and at times used to send copyright notifications, however once i switched over to online.net the speed was almost always 900+mbps with lower latency and better connectivity for torrent peers and such. And almost all the time i used to get maxed out download speed compared to ovh. But thats my experience, i always found ovh network a bit slow and rigid, wheras online.net i found it to be faster and a bit more flexible.

Edit: That being said, the last time i used OVH was back in 2018 and since then i have completely switchover to online.net, leaseweb, and our own server setup in US.

I see public bandwidth limit is there in online.net servers as well.

But thats not applied since 2017.

• Although the DMCA is a U.S. domestic law, the act of making a work available for public transmission is illegal in the Berne Convention and WIPO countries.
    In countries that have not signed these treaties, you are free to use works from other countries as long as the works are not registered in those countries.
    This includes Iran, Iraq, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Palau, Somalia, Somaliland, and South Sudan.
    San Marino ratified the treaty in 2020, so it is no longer a haven.
    Iran has many servers and relatively low prices, but some content is banned for religious reasons, and some Western works are protected domestically by registration.
    And some transactions are restricted by US law.
    In Ethiopia, the state-owned Ethio Telecom provides VPS, but the only payment method is bank transfer.
    You can choose between the local currency and the US dollar, but the US dollar is significantly more expensive.

In the end, it all depends on where you stand.
    If you are only seeding content uploaded by others for a short period of time, you can simply choose a host that ignores mechanical DMCA notices.
    It's still illegal, and your information may be disclosed upon the copyright holder's request.

If you are seeding large amounts of content on an iterative basis, or if you are the first seeder, copyright holders and law enforcement agencies will try to identify you.
    Even if you pretend to be a poor third-worlder.
    Since you are not a third-worlder, the laws of your country of residence will apply to you.

The smartest thing to do is to hide behind an anonymous VPN that supports open ports. Yes, like TPB.
    If it is just an impotent seeder, there is no need to even open the port.

Thanked by 1default
  • Providers don't need problems because of your $7 even if the law is on their side

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

@SpeedTest said:
    Providers don't need problems because of your $7 even if the law is on their side

Dealing with the police is time consuming too whenever something serious (other then DMCA) happens. lol

• coldcold Member

@Arkas said:
    Can someone confirm that Norway doesn't bother with DMCAs before I get a dedi there?

ask @terrahost

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@cold said:

@Arkas said:
    Can someone confirm that Norway doesn't bother with DMCAs before I get a dedi there?

ask @terrahost

We respond to proper requests by norwegian authorities.

• waffleunclewaffleuncle Member
    edited August 2021

@SnTHostings said:
    DMCA is only US law, it can be ignored by every country, however, some country have their own copyright protection law, where a DMCA mail can be looked at as a copyright violation, like Germany. Hetnzer allows copyright-protected things over their server as long as they are not disturbed by abuse mail (case in point, private trackers).

Go with France or Netherlands, you will be fine there, as in my 9yrs of experience I have never seen a single copyright mail in France (online.net) and for the Netherlands, they do not care about copyright mails.

I am not use Canada have same rules !
    It's controlled by CRTC

• LeeLee Veteran

Your mileage will vary with any country that ignores DMCA as to whether you will get any notifications from them but remember;

Just because a provider ignores DMCA, that does not mean they will ignore what you are doing. All the DMCA does is alert them to what you are doing.

Thanked by 1SinV
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@sandoz said: "What is better Male or Guy?" An poll should be appreciated.

Paging @pqhosting

@frog said: Eritrea, Turkmenistan, and San Marino are the only countries that don't have copyright laws.

How did you arrive at that list? For example, Turkmenistan and San Marino are both signatories to the Berne Convention.

• @raindog308 said: Turkmenistan

They a very strict country you can't arrive to Turkmenistan without verified guest invintation or special allowance from goverment. They didnt cares about outside laws.

• @momkin said:
    France ignores torrent DMCA.
    SWITZERLAND + luxembourg + Russia + china + norway + romania + netherland + planty more !There is no need to involve Russia in this list, copyright is also honored in Russia.

• frogfrog Barred

@raindog308 said:

@frog said: Eritrea, Turkmenistan, and San Marino are the only countries that don't have copyright laws.

How did you arrive at that list? For example, Turkmenistan and San Marino are both signatories to the Berne Convention.

The source was copyright.gov but the information was not up to date. San Marino signed Sept. 2, 2020, and Turkmenistan on May 29, 2016.

A few countries (Iran, Iraq) have some copyright laws, but foreigners are not protected by the laws.

Source: https://copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

• Tasmania

• BKKHKBKKHK Member
    edited August 2021

Cyprus and Turkey are both not only ignoring DMCA requests but they’re also taking a piss on any emails that aren’t processed and authorised by their respective departments of Justice.

Malta is also an option you could be looking into.

These countries are clearly your best options as they host a lot of XXX content legally and are not afraid of involving themselves in anything shady as long as you have the $$$ to support your endeavours.

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Cyprus tidbits:

• PT to Cyrus: 88ms.
    • UK to Cyprus: 62ms.
    • FR to Cyprus: 55ms.
    • IT to Cyprus: 48ms.

Probably shorter/faster from Greece Malta and Turkey and yet you still are in the heart of Europe.

My advice: Find yourself a host in Cyprus that accepts payment via PayPal or Crypto and be done with it.

I’ll point you in the right direction:

Netshop in Cyprus is a reliable host with offers as low as 8$/month, they also offer a FREE TRIAL that doesn’t require a Credit Card, give them a spin, here’s the free trial link:

https://netshop-isp.com.cy/free-trial-vps

As for the other posters in this thread posting dumbshit like Tazmania, North Korea, Bosnia Herzegovia, Turkmenistan, San Marino or Maui, please get a grip.

Final edit: Slovenia is also an option, they ignore DMCA, They have copyright laws but are very very lenient when it comes to it. It is not a priority of their government and it will never be.

• @BKKHK said: BKKHK

To be honest all countries outside EU ignore all laws outside local laws. EU as a satellite of US will follow all requests. Remind a situation with Snowden in France and whole EU when all refuse to landing him because afraid the United States. Only Putin save his life in this situation. Because he didn't cares everyone else laws. And no one can push him.

• @charlie said: i can send a dmca notice to that and provider will shutdown it?

fifty-fifty chance.