Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a list of countries that ignore DMCA?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a list of countries that ignore DMCA?

ArkasArkas Moderator

I have clients that keep asking for this. Is everyone torrenting these days?
Anyhow, which countries are known to ignore DMCAs and provide datacenters?
Why is a U.S. Law being enforced in Europe (DMCA is a U.S. law)?

Comments

• France ignores torrent DMCA.
    SWITZERLAND + luxembourg + Russia + china + norway + romania + netherland + planty more !

Thanked by 2Arkas kheng86
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

So a OVH server from France is safe from DMCAs?

• @Arkas said:
    So a OVH server from France is safe from DMCAs?

I never had any dmca notice when using kimsufi..

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok, thanks guys! I have a OVH server based in France!

• SnTHostingsSnTHostings Member, Host Rep

DMCA is only US law, it can be ignored by every country, however, some country have their own copyright protection law, where a DMCA mail can be looked at as a copyright violation, like Germany. Hetnzer allows copyright-protected things over their server as long as they are not disturbed by abuse mail (case in point, private trackers).

Go with France or Netherlands, you will be fine there, as in my 9yrs of experience I have never seen a single copyright mail in France (online.net) and for the Netherlands, they do not care about copyright mails.

Thanked by 3Arkas kheng86 sayem314

@Arkas said:

Check Online.net, they have a better network, and are 100% ignore Copyrighted mails, OVH, can be a bit iffy.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • UrDNUrDN Member

@Arkas said:
    Why is a U.S. Law being enforced in Europe (DMCA is a U.S. law)?

I would simply discontinue my business with any company that applies anti-democratic laws of other countries.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@UrDN said: I would simply discontinue my business with any company that applies anti-democratic laws of other countries.

Well, in theory, it is a copyright law, so it isn't anti democratic. It's implementation outside the U.S. is anti democratic If such a law hasn't been passed by the local governments.

• @SnTHostings said:

@Arkas said:

Check Online.net, they have a better network, and are 100% ignore Copyrighted mails, OVH, can be a bit iffy.

Wutt? OVH have better network on global scale...

edited August 2021

@chocolateshirt said:

@SnTHostings said:

@Arkas said:

Wutt? OVH have better network on global scale...

I have been selling seedboxes for almost 9yrs, and initially I started with OVH as well, but then i switched over to online.net because of many reasons, OVH used too(not sure if still), put bandwidth limit of 250-500mbps, the latency was always on the higher side, and at times used to send copyright notifications, however once i switched over to online.net the speed was almost always 900+mbps with lower latency and better connectivity for torrent peers and such. And almost all the time i used to get maxed out download speed compared to ovh. But thats my experience, i always found ovh network a bit slow and rigid, wheras online.net i found it to be faster and a bit more flexible.

Edit: That being said, the last time i used OVH was back in 2018 and since then i have completely switchover to online.net, leaseweb, and our own server setup in US.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited August 2021
    • Norwania

(* only on Mondays)

• @SnTHostings said:
    DMCA is only US law, it can be ignored by every country, however, some country have their own copyright protection law, where a DMCA mail can be looked at as a copyright violation, like Germany. Hetnzer allows copyright-protected things over their server as long as they are not disturbed by abuse mail (case in point, private trackers).

Go with France or Netherlands, you will be fine there, as in my 9yrs of experience I have never seen a single copyright mail in France (online.net) and for the Netherlands, they do not care about copyright mails.

Ah!
    @seriesn and their experience in Germany.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Iran and Palestine didn't cares :smiley:

@vyas11 said:

@SnTHostings said:

Ah!
    @seriesn and their experience in Germany.

Care to elaborate?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Like others have said. DMCA is a USA specific thing that some providers (regardless of geographic location) respect. Usually since it’s just “easier to terminate the client for doing the naughty things than to continue to receive a torrent of automated abuse emails (see what I did there ;) )

But really. What I suggest you do is not out your chips on a country or location but on a provider.

Be upfront and honest and send them an email first saying your plans that you want to use your server to torrent and ask if this is ok to do. If the provider says no then you just saved yourself partial month of use with no refund option.

Thanked by 3Arkas AlbaHost cold
  • UrDNUrDN Member

@Arkas said:
    Well, in theory, it is a copyright law, so it isn't anti democratic. It's implementation outside the U.S. is anti democratic If such a law hasn't been passed by the local governments.

The local government is not the people, therefore is not democracy.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@UrDN said: The local government is not the people, therefore is not democracy.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

• @momkin said:
    France ignores torrent DMCA.
    SWITZERLAND + luxembourg + Russia + china + norway + romania + netherland + planty more !

You forget Moldova

https://alexhost.com/colocation/ < they ignore DMCA (Moldova)
    https://www.netrics.ch (Switzerland)
    https://ihor.online/colocation (Russia)
    https://greenmountain.no/

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Can someone confirm that Norway doesn't bother with DMCAs before I get a dedi there?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2021

France (i.e. law of the land) does NOT ignore copyright claims. Some providers in France are on the (very) lenient side, however not systematically. Already got bad experience with Online.net (in 2018 I think) and Kimsufi (back in 2013). And of course with the many ISPs there (f*ck you, Hadopi).

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Arkas said:
    Can someone confirm that Norway doesn't bother with DMCAs before I get a dedi there?

The country matter, for example in Switzerland is legal, but some hostings providers don't want to do it, they prefer to maintain everything legal, less headaches.

In Russia also have providers who doesn't allow it, not because is illegal or legal, but to avoid any legal trouble or any costs.

Not all providers want to receive spam of DMCA notices in their mailbox and that's fine.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok... So which country does ignore dmca that has an infrastructure that I can buy a dedi there?

• @Arkas said:
    Ok... So which country does ignore dmca that has an infrastructure that I can buy a dedi there?

Are you trolling don't you?
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3264625/#Comment_3264625

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@sandoz said: Are you trolling don't you?

By your command of the English language, I can see why you are confusing threads...

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Arkas said:

@sandoz said: Are you trolling don't you?

By your command of the English language, I can see why you are confusing threads...

Wait, what? I'm the guy who is trolling? Whaaat ?

Jokes are Jokes, Lemon is Lemon, Squizzy is Squizzy. Peanuts go ahead.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

You are seriously blaming me of trolling then????

• @Arkas said:

Suggestion for you Next thread

"What is better Male or Guy?" An poll should be appreciated.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@sandoz said:

@Arkas said:

Suggestion for you Next thread

"What is better Male or Guy?" An poll should be appreciated.

First, you probably mean 'a poll' not 'an poll'
    Next, eat my ignore dust, you stupid idiot.
    You're welcome.

• frogfrog Barred

@Arkas said:

Eritrea, Turkmenistan, and San Marino are the only countries that don't have copyright laws. Scandinavian countries (Norway, Denmark, Sweden) have strict antipiracy laws.

The closest you get to DMCA ignored hosting is providers that ignore copyright/DMCA infringement claims until the police show up with a court order.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

We also not processing DMCA request, however, not because we are supporting illegal things, but, first torrent and similar thinks are not illegal in Hungary (downloading movies for personal usage), in worst case its gray.
    Secondly, our copyright law require some evidence, and etc, and 99% of DMCA letter basically nothing, its a simple email (even from gmail) without any evidence, only somebody claim, its illegal, shut that site down. I think this is very hazardous, if i not lik a site, i can send a dmca notice to that and provider will shutdown it?
    And usually dmca offices in USA things the whole world is belong to US.