Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FIXED Network outage - Copper thieves - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FIXED Network outage - Copper thieves

2»

Comments

• chipchip Member

@MannDude said:
    Is there another source of info somewhere?

Not doubting it, but I just don't do Discord and I'm curious how widespread the impact was. Stealing copper is pretty low.

Copper gets stolen all the time in the UK ..... they steal it stick it in large metal drums and set fire to it..... they get less money for "mixed" metals than they do for copper on its own ..... then they weight I it

There was once a copper theft that knackered large amounts of the phone network they tied the cut cable around a pick up tuck tow hitch and drove it pulling miles and miles of cable out of the ducting

Chip

• coldcold Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@default said:

Whats the reference?

gipsys from Romania are know for Such activities, they were constantly on the news, steal cable from railways

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited August 2021

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Catalysts are a f'kin stupid idea anyway, when emissions should be reduced at source not at the output.

Catalytic converters don't reduce emissions, they convert the nasty compounds into not-so-nasty compounds, such as CO (carbon monoxide) into CO2; and NOx into N2 and H2O. Just look-up Dieselgate, where VW increased the fuel consumption during emissions testing to help the catalytic converter lower the NOx emissions. Without a catalytic converter, burning a bit less fuel will not prevent acid rain and respiratory damage.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2021

@rcxb said: Catalytic converters don't reduce emissions ... where VW increased the fuel consumption during emissions testing to help the catalytic converter lower the NOx emissions.

You what?
    That further illustrates the stupid use of catalytic convertors - they are less effective with leaner burning/more efficient engines.

Almost by definition, a more efficient combustion engine will burn less fuel per hour and hence produce less waste output, regardless of its' content. Lead free petrol obviously helped a lot in terms of noxious emissions. If a "gas guzzler" (like our petrol Corsa) consumes 40 miles per gallon, then logically it's emissions are substantially reduced if it managed twice the number of miles on the same amount of fuel. Granted, emissions are unlikely to be halved.
    Compare that to the production of catalysts and the radioactive decay of the element contained within. I wonder if we'll see a rise in cancer patients in another decade, or so, from scrap merchants and (wishful thinking) thieving scum. It's like saying nuclear fuel is cleaner and better for the environment - totally missing the point of the disposal of the radioactive spent fuel.

[Our diesel BMW has the lowest emissions of the whole range, enjoying zero road tax (vehicle excise duty) purely because of that. F'kin complicated though with DPF,Cat. etc. and still only averages 50MPG.]

IIRC, California, USA has/had the strictest emissions control, with various 'technologies' used, such as reed valves in the exhaust ports to burn off excess fuel, additional filters to atmosphere (oil & fuel) and anti-tamper fuel/air ratios. (My motorcycle experience.)

• rcxbrcxb Member

@AlwaysSkint said:
    produce less waste output, regardless of its' content.

Its content matters a great deal... Would you rather breath a tank full of NOx, or stand in a puddle of water? No question cats use some energy, but not much, and its for a good purpose. We can't all live in a cabin out in the woods, away from roads, as we cut letters out of magazines to paste into our anti-government manifestos.

• @rcxb Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, on the merits of catalytic convertors.

Back on topic: I wonder how dye packs could be incorporated into cable installations, similar to the way money thieves get "branded". Likely impractical though, oh well.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @rcxb Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, on the merits of catalytic convertors.

Back on topic: I wonder how dye packs could be incorporated into cable installations, similar to the way money thieves get "branded". Likely impractical though, oh well.

heh.
    Wouldn't make much of a difference though. Be funny as hell. just have the line pressurized with red die. Although would suck for the people filling it.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said: Be funny as hell. just have the line pressurized with red die.

Green - you've been slimed, scumbag! >:)

• @AlwaysSkint said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: Be funny as hell. just have the line pressurized with red die.

Green - you've been slimed, scumbag! >:)

PINK - to stand out from the crowd.

• @default said: .. to stand out from the crowd

Not in these 'woke' times. ;)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2021

Just reminded myself of the flamethrowers in the sideskirts of some S. African car. Don't think a cable maintenance Engineer would be too impressed with singed eyebrows though.