Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm leaving VULTR (a stupid drama) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm leaving VULTR (a stupid drama)

Comments

• JioJio Member

This is not about "earn"

This is about "liability in US"

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@team_traitor said:

@BlaZe said:
    You don't get it, Vultr is not in the wrong here.

You forgot to check/monitor emails sent from Vultr (which included the abuse report)
    You failed to take any action (or even an action) for a month (which is a very long period considering abuse reports)

As no response received from your end it implies that the server is not important to you and perhaps you might use it for more illegal activities (from Vultr's perspective) so better to delete it.

Your silence meant you did the activity knowingly (here, your colleague did but you had to bare the consequences)

Just move on.

yeah, It is my fault. I wish they have extended the consideration and just shut it down not deleting it totally. Shutdown means the DMCA is served, they still earn and I can still have the little chance of getting the data back after explaining my side since they still did not hear it due to my negligence.

It seems they gave you two months, how much is “extended the consideration”??

Also, a single movie doesn’t get you a DMCA complaint… it’s more than that.

Understand their view, dude.

• JioJio Member

you also keep saying 'work' 'team' 'coworker' do you not have a single backup? do your teammates not pull git repos? wtf?

Thanked by 2intermall vimalware
  • Some people want to create drama out of nothing.

This complaint is worthless, because @team_traitor YOU are responsible for everything that you, and your colleagues, do with YOUR service. Vultr handled this great.

For a good popcorn drama one needs organic seeds, grown naturally, without chemical stuff where personal gain is above everything else.

• xaocxaoc Member

@lentro said:

@team_traitor said:

@BlaZe said:

You forgot to check/monitor emails sent from Vultr (which included the abuse report)
    You failed to take any action (or even an action) for a month (which is a very long period considering abuse reports)

As no response received from your end it implies that the server is not important to you and perhaps you might use it for more illegal activities (from Vultr's perspective) so better to delete it.

Your silence meant you did the activity knowingly (here, your colleague did but you had to bare the consequences)

Just move on.

yeah, It is my fault. I wish they have extended the consideration and just shut it down not deleting it totally. Shutdown means the DMCA is served, they still earn and I can still have the little chance of getting the data back after explaining my side since they still did not hear it due to my negligence.

It does. ;)

• OP buys chicken expecting a hen, wonders why no eggs.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2021

Considering the amount of warez I download. I don't pity you.

Use private trackers or get your VPS suspended like the amateur you are.

Nobody here will believe that co-worker story.

If you run VPN server, you can do hex search with iptables on forward chain against BT traffic by searching "announce.php?passkey=","info_hash","get_peers","announce_peer",".torrent", etc

And heres list of all popular public trackers in use. Simply block these domains.
    https://github.com/QuickBox/QB/blob/master/setup/templates/trackers.template

Your fuckup is because of your incompetence. No host will risk losing safe harbour status for your 10€ VPS.

• @Jio said:
    you also keep saying 'work' 'team' 'coworker' do you not have a single backup? do your teammates not pull git repos? wtf?

we have but older one.> @lentro said:

@team_traitor said:

@BlaZe said:

Yes, they are not wrong here but I was hoping they shutdown the server instead of deleting it since they havent't heard on my side. If they shutdown the server 1 week later when the complaint posted I will notice that since I am not on vacation.

yeah my bad. everything went well so I did not login. We have autopay and it is only for vpn and database limit access.

Yeah, I wish they just shut it down. The principle is the same but the difference is that data that is available for investigation is still there. Now we don't have any records of what my co-worker downloaded.

I did not check cause everything seems fine and I was away for 2 weeks. I arrived 2 days after and yesterday found that it is deleted.

Just move on.

It seems they gave you two months, how much is “extended the consideration”??

Understand their view, dude.

That is only report vultr gave.

The funny things is that when I opened this on our GC (messenger) I chatted, any one familiar with "The forever purge" and yeah he admitted it.

I told him, you downloaded this while connected to our company's vpn server and now it's gone. He replied. I might have forgotten to disconnect when I open my torrent.

• @stefeman said:
    Considering the amount of warez I download. I don't pity you.

The report said one movie and that also they same with my co-worker he said one movie. Though I don't have data to verify if he is saying the truth.

Use private trackers or get your VPS suspended like the amateur you are.

Nobody here will believe that co-worker story.

yeah that is the sad part. No one is even if you are saying is true. That is what our society is.

If you run VPN server, you can do hex search with iptables on forward chain against BT traffic by searching "announce.php?passkey=","info_hash","get_peers","announce_peer",".torrent", etc

>

I am not pro on this kind. I just copied an auto script install for vpn made by angrstan (git)

And heres list of all popular public trackers in use. Simply block these domains.
    https://github.com/QuickBox/QB/blob/master/setup/templates/trackers.template

Your fuckup is because of your incompetence. No host will risk losing safe harbour status for your 10€ VPS.

Yeah, my bad for not checking it. Again they can just shut it down the logic is the same they took down and not delete.. just saying...

• JioJio Member
    edited August 2021

personally i believe you when you say its your coworker. its jsut that literally no [non-cociu] host is going to let you have over a month to ignore an abuse report. you would be terminated by then, not suspended.

• This is notice I got.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1
    To: Choopa, LLC
    DATE: 2021-07-23
    CASE ID: 5f225480839b9fd8d369
    Dear Choopa, LLC:
    We are contacting you on behalf of NBCUniversal and/or its subsidiary and affiliated companies (collectively, NBCUniversal). Vobile, Inc. is authorized to act on behalf of NBCUniversal, who is the copyright owner and/or owner of exclusive rights in such content identified below.
    We have become aware that an individual has utilized the IP address 104.156.250.93 at the recorded date and time below to download, host, and/or facilitate the downloading and/or streaming of video content that is exclusively owned by NBCUniversal. Such unauthorized distribution of NBCUniversal content without the express written authorization of NBCUniversal constitutes copyright infringement. This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
    We have a good faith belief that the use of the copyrighted material identified below is not authorized by NBCUniversal, its agent, or the law.
    The title in question: The Forever Purge
    As the owner of the IP address, we request that you immediately assist in removing and disabling access to the infringing material from your network. Additionally we request that you contact the subscriber who has engaged in the conduct described above and take further steps to prevent the subscriber from unauthorized future use and sharing of NBCUniversal content.
    Copyright infringement is illegal and in violation of your Internet Service Provider’s terms of service. We understand that you may not have known that your account was being used to access infringing copies of movies and/or TV shows but, to prevent serious legal and other consequences, it is important that you take immediate steps to prevent your account from being used for infringement again. These steps can include:
    1. Instruct people who have access to your account to stop downloading or uploading unauthorized, infringing copies of movies or TV shows.
    2. Permanently delete all unauthorized copies of movies and TV shows from your devices(s).
    3. Visit http://creativefuture.org/why to find out more about how the illegal distribution of copyrighted movies and TV shows damages our economy and costs American jobs.
    We state, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed herein.
    Nothing in this notice shall operate as a waiver of any rights, claims, or remedies available to NBCUniversal with respect to the infringement alleged herein. All such rights, claims, and remedies are hereby expressly reserved.
    If you have any questions, you can contact NBCUniversal by email at [email protected]. Please cite, in the subject line, the Reference ID noted at the top of this letter.
    Sincerely,
    Brad Bo
    Vobile, Inc.
    Address: 2880 --- REDACTED ------
    Santa Clara --- REDACTED ------
    Email: [email protected]

• ------------- Infringement Details ----------------------------------
      Title: The Forever Purge
      Timestamp: 2021-07-23T04:02:06Z
      IP Address: 104.156.250.XX --- REDACTED ------
      Port: 50675
      Type: BitTorrent
      Torrent Hash: 31d583e271b7cff1a43bab27ef3cc71ad10c5a9e
      Filename: The.Forever.Purge.2021.1080p.WEBRip.x264-RARBG
      Filesize: 2018 MB

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

5f225480839b9fd8d369
    Open
    Normal

NBC UNIVERSAL
    Vobile - Compliance

2880 Lakeside --- REDACTED ------

+1 (408) 492 --- REDACTED ------
    [email protected]

Choopa, LLC
    [email protected]

2021-07-23T04:02:06Z
    104.156.250.XX --- REDACTED ------
    BitTorrent

2021-07-23T04:02:06Z
    The Forever Purge
    The.Forever.Purge.2021.1080p.WEBRip.x264-RARBG
    31d583e271b7cff1a43bab27ef3cc71ad10c5a9e

• JioJio Member

rarbg? 1080p web rip? your coworker should be ashamed of downloading in that quality

Thanked by 2stefeman vimalware
  • @Jio said:
    personally i believe you when you say its your coworker. its jsut that literally no [non-cociu] host is going to let you have over a month to ignore an abuse report. you would be terminated by then, not suspended.

yeah.. I do accept it is my fault for not checking it. BTW, this is just openvpn server I like limiting the access on our PhpPgAdmin. As for the data, we have 1 week old backup and the script is 8months old.. we have backup of the script, 1 year older.

anyway lets close this. I already move our other 5 vps ...

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited August 2021

@Jio said:
    rarbg? 1080p web rip? your coworker should be ashamed of downloading in that quality

The decision is 5 days suspension.
    Let's close this, the thread seems to be long now.

This is an honest mistake on the part of my colleague for forgetting to disconnect and an error on my side for not checking/monitoring mails when it matters. I should not have gone vacation.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@team_traitor said:

@Jio said:

yeah.. I do accept it is my fault for not checking it. BTW, this is just openvpn server I like limiting the access on our PhpPgAdmin. As for the data, we have 1 week old backup and the script is 8months old.. we have backup of the script, 1 year older.

anyway lets close this. I already move our other 5 vps ...

Have a look at split tunnelling, it'll save you your next headache if someone forgets to turn off their VPN.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Member, Patron Provider

@Falzo said:
    restore from your backups. done.

Good, I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this.

It is called your data because... well.... it is yours, back it up if it is sacred, do not call it sacred if you do not back it up, frankly, you could have restored it in less time than it took to write this post most likely :)

• bdlbdl Member

@team_traitor said:
    This is notice I got.

Looks like Vultr purged your VPS, forever. :o

• Vultr have snapshot feature, did you not make any backup? If the answer is No, then the project is not important, it just you PMS-ing

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ok, understood.

You wanted the VM/service to be halted by Vultr as soon as you failed to reply within 24-48hours (or as per their abuse terms), that'd alert you to become active & take appropriate action.

Not a very bad perspective but there is no perfect standard for how a provider handles their abuse-related stuff.

• @BlaZe said:

Ok, understood.

You wanted the VM/service to be halted by Vultr as soon as you failed to reply within 24-48hours (or as per their abuse terms), that'd alert you to become active & take appropriate action.

Not a very bad perspective but there is no perfect standard for how a provider handles their abuse-related stuff.

yeah you are right. I get your point.

• @InceptionHosting said:

@Falzo said:
    restore from your backups. done.

Good, I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this.

It is called your data because... well.... it is yours, back it up if it is sacred, do not call it sacred if you do not back it up, frankly, you could have restored it in less time than it took to write this post most likely :)

I do have backup but older one.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@jackb said: Have a look at split tunnelling, it'll save you your next headache if someone forgets to turn off their VPN.

>

Agreed!

• @jackb @rsk

It is the first time I heard such term "split tunneling". We only have a simple goal and that is to only allow access to our online PhpPgAdmin. Openvpn autoscript is fine for now. It is just one of our team mate made a mistake. That is one of the reason why I don't really monitor it because this installation is intended for company use only and only acts a private network for us to limit the allowed IP that can access the other servers.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

I'm UK based so the abuse complaints I see RE: Copyright have far less weight on us than I expect they would if we were in the US so with that in mind I do think it's a little harsh to jump straight to terminating service for an unanswered abuse complaint. I'd expect Suspension first and then Termination but ultimately T&C's are T&C's.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@team_traitor said:
    @jackb @rsk

It is the first time I heard such term "split tunneling". We only have a simple goal and that is to only allow access to our online PhpPgAdmin. Openvpn autoscript is fine for now. It is just one of our team mate made a mistake. That is one of the reason why I don't really monitor it because this installation is intended for company use only and only acts a private network for us to limit the allowed IP that can access the other servers.

I think this problem has outlined exactly why openvpn autoscript isn't fine for your use case.

Split tunnelling would solve the problem. I'd highly recommend you look into it.

• @team_traitor said:

Haven't use torrents in a long time, but does content provider tracks IPs on torrents now?

Or it has been like this since forever?

Does this apply only for US ISPs/providers or all countries?

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

@nanankcornering said:

@team_traitor said:

Haven't use torrents in a long time, but does content provider tracks IPs on torrents now?

Or it has been like this since forever?

Does this apply only for US ISPs/providers or all countries?

All countries, it's been in place for many years now. It's all automated, picks up the IP of the peer and sends the abuse complaint to their ASN contact.
    The downsides of using public trackers (or privates with the spies also using them).

• Most providers will suspend your service for 48 hours, they are then being chased by the complainant or IP owner for a resolution.

They then cannot give any feedback and most likely will have the IP Null Routed.

Vultr could have just suspended the machine but then thats an IP used up for a potential customer who has not communicate back for 2 months.

100% correct decision and you should have had better policies in place for staff picking up tickets.

Unless you are a 1 man band that is.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2021

Most of time people say "we" or "a team", it's usually "me".

On LET at least.

Well, if this PMSing girl claims there is a team behind him, she will have a backup. Just restore the backup and continue on.

Not a big deal.

• @noobjockeys said:
    Most providers will suspend your service for 48 hours, they are then being chased by the complainant or IP owner for a resolution.

They then cannot give any feedback and most likely will have the IP Null Routed.

Vultr could have just suspended the machine but then thats an IP used up for a potential customer who has not communicate back for 2 months.

100% correct decision and you should have had better policies in place for staff picking up tickets.

Unless you are a 1 man band that is.

I am in-charge with the servers like choosing the provider, installing the required apps (script), updating, paying, backups, and troubleshooting when a problem arise.

I am not full time on server administration. I mainly write code and it only happens that I know some server related skills that is why I was tasked for server management but mainly I write code.

I am just disappointed with vultr's action when they can just simply shut it down or suspend it then report to DMCA that proper action where taken (server is now offline)

I don't mind them charging our account/server even if it is suspended/off since there is an issue in which I failed to reply on their emails.

Limestone Network actions is to shutdown the server until issues are resolve.