Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm leaving VULTR (a stupid drama)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm leaving VULTR (a stupid drama)

team_traitorteam_traitor Member
edited August 2021 in General

This is crazy. They are very cruel and have no regards on how SACRED DATA is.

Apparently, I got a DMCA notice on one of our vultr instance running openvpn and a google map script which stores our client data (nginx+php).

So the problem is that one of my colleague forgot to close/disconnect his openvpn which is connected to our instance and he did download illegal file (movie) online and yeah our server's ip got a DMCA notice. He is suspended for doing that.

Vultr send a notice about this. The fact is that I don't monitor this server daily since this is only openvpn company access only and a google map script (nginx/php) which stores data/photos.

I do check this a month or two or until I see error an stuff.

It is my fault not reading those early (I was away and my keepass db is on my home). I got only aware of the situation when my colleague says he cannot access our dedis and when I found it, it is too late. They deleted my instance.

So why I feel bad when it is my fault not checking it?

Well, you know they don't need to DELETE the instance and the data. They can just SHUT IT DOWN until I get aware/notified that the vps is down. They can still earn while my server is down since we have connected our CC in the billing.

I read this policies here https://www.vultr.com/legal/use_policy/ at section 6.
It is said that

"We reserve the right, but do not assume the obligation, to investigate any violation of this AUP or misuse of the Services. We may:"

• investigate violations of this AUP or misuse of the Services
  • review any User Content, and remove, disable access to, or modify any content or resource (including User Content) that violates this AUP or any other agreement we have with you for use of the Services;
  • monitor all prohibited actions, investigate, and/or take appropriate action at our sole discretion against you.

A very cruel and one sided. They did not even bother to investigate (though this is not their obligation). Still deleting that instance without a solid proof or investigation is just so cruel.

I feel bad and angry since there is a win-win action for them. They can SHUTDOWN the server till I am aware of the problem and while it is shutdown they can still charge me right? The reporter (DMCA report) will be happy too since our IP is in-accessible.

Why VULTR? Why why? I've been a customer for many years now. So today I decided to migrate all my server to another and mabye tomorrow delete my instance.

Comments

• go off king

• Yes

• i have a very best suggest for you next provider. no DMCA problem.

hostsolutions.ro

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

I believe Google Cloud and AWS allow the hosting of DMCA content /s.

• bdlbdl Member

Thankyou for your order! We've doubled your paragraph count!

Thanked by 2TimboJones taizi
  • you ignore an abuse report that typically gets rseponded to in 24 hours for 2 months

what did YOU expect?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

What did OP expect?

Seriously.

I second hostsolutions.ro.

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited August 2021

I'm with the OPs. They can shut it down, suspend it, or disconnect the internet, not delete the VM. Not all the DMCA reports are real, so think of filing a fake report and have all your competitor's website deleted.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@levnode said:
    filing a fake report and have all your competitor's website deleted.

^ LET marketing strategy 101

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

I don't think they would even consider you a customer still after 60 days of ignoring an abuse report

Even a simple "this won't happen again" would have resolved it.

It's not even a "checking the server" thing, why is the rest of your team not notified about a high priority ticket?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It sounds like the notice was legitimate and warranted, and no one responded to the complaint. What was the time frame between the complaint and the termination?

Certainly you have an obligation to respond to these notices and falling to do so can easily be interpreted as abandoning an unimportant server.

Thanked by 2bdl lentro
  • PMS

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Imagine doing illegal activities (downloading a movie illegally), failing to reply to abuse reports, and then going to a forum to complain.

+1 to VULTR for ensuring abuse reports are handled.

No one on this forum is going to pity you in regards to this, and no one should.
    You were wrong own up to it, Vultr is in the right, period.

• JioJio Member

can definitely understand disabling it for the first day or two but after that and you're still not responding ...

if this is an actual "work vpn" why is it taking default gateway and all traffic instead of just access to private network resources?

• hey, lets be clear guys.

I AM NOT THE ONE WHO USE THE VPN TO DOWNLOAD ILLEGAL VIDEOS(Movie).

As what I have said, one of my colleague forgot to disconnect which he admitted the moment I opened this to our team. He apologized and we suspended him for a few days as we don't tolerate illegal actions. Let's be clear on that.

One thing guys. I am not hosting/giving pirated stuff online. I also dislike pirates. We do
    have a paid service and we pay everything and donate to open lib we use.

We view this incident as purely accident, a mistake on one of our employee which we already dealt.

I am just sad that they could have just shutdown and still charge us (meaning they get our money and server is offline, a win-win solution) but they deleted the instance without hearing our side. Again, I don't regularly login on my vultr dashboard or monitor the server. I have few dedis to watch and some coding stuff to do.

These guys below not comprehending properly. I said. It is not me who F*ck Up.
    @stevewatson301 @Ian_Dot_Tech

@Jio said:
    can definitely understand disabling it for the first day or two but after that and you're still not responding ...

if this is an actual "work vpn" why is it taking default gateway and all traffic instead of just access to private network resources?

I am not using this since I have full access with the server and this connection is use for accessing our database which we rarely do and only 3 employees are using this. One thing, openvpn seems to route your connection into theirs when you failed to connect to your openvpn.

When the other dev said they cannot connect the database yesterday that is when the time I logged into vultr and found out.

@aiden1 said:
    you ignore an abuse report that typically gets rseponded to in 24 hours for 2 months

what did YOU expect?

I did not log-in in vultr dashboard since it is not really our main thing. Still it is my fault for not checking it regularly for the past months. I only knew this incident yesterday.

They can just disable/shutdown the server for 1 year or 2 until I get notified/aware of the incident and they can still charge for a monthly fee of usage. It is both win-win solution to the DCMA reporter and to Vultr too and the server is off but they chose to delete it.

Sigh.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Blame the “co-worker”, always works :wink:

Thanked by 2lentro xreann20
  • BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited August 2021

@levnode said: I'm with the OPs. They can shut it down, suspend it, or disconnect the internet, not delete the VM. Not all the DMCA reports are real, so think of filing a fake report and have all your competitor's website deleted.

Then OP create another PMS thread they shut my VM down but still invoicing me for my VM.

@aqua said:

Fake it till you make it.

• @team_traitor said:
    hey, lets be clear guys.

As what I have said, one of my colleague forgot to disconnect which he admitted the moment I opened this to our team. He apologized and we suspended him for a few days as we don't tolerate illegal actions. Let's be clear on that.

Even if it's you're doing or not, as long as it happened on your server by your colleague or customer, it's still your responsibility. We see nothing wrong here, you didn't respond on the abuse ticket on time.

• Glad they delete the vm after a month of notice. I got similar situation on other provider and they just give me 24 hour time frame, failed to respond the vm got deleted.

• @jcarlo9 said:

@team_traitor said:
    hey, lets be clear guys.

Even if it's you're doing or not, as long as it happened on your server by your colleague or customer, it's still your responsibility. We see nothing wrong here, you didn't respond on the abuse ticket on time.

yeah. I am not denying it. I was hoping that they just shut it down and not delete (they can still earn you know).

I remember before when I rented our 6th dedi from Limestone Network after I setup the server and made it a live production server I did not bother checking the client dashboard for 1 and half month since everything is automated and everything is okay.

I am also one of the coders so I did not really monitor the client dashboard since I some some coding stuff. Everything seems okay too or so I thought. There is an incident, my colleague called me in the middle of the night saying that they are bombarded with calls as one of our server (6th) is down. I check the client dashboard and found a DMCA report and it seems like the previous owner of the IP done something wrong (It also found on the ip blacklist) anyway they shutdown the server and I opened ticket and explain what happened and they turn on my server.

• @aqua said:

because it is. hahaha "now I have to rewrite those script again, since the old one is outdated" but the images though.. zzzz

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2021

@team_traitor said:
    They can just disable/shutdown the server for 1 year or 2 until I get notified/aware of the incident and they can still charge for a monthly fee of usage. It is both win-win solution to the DCMA reporter and to Vultr too and the server is off but they chose to delete it.

Sigh.

No, you neglectful shit. Vultr allowed the server to remain online all that time to give you ample chance to monitor and respond to emails. The rest of the world would appreciate their services to continue to work and respond to notices and prevent any interruption to service. That's the win-win.

You can't neglect administration emails. Period. Hand over the position, you're incompetent.

P.s. what kind of fucking Copyright law would have any effect if violations can continue in perpetuity and no penalty? The content HAS to be removed and sounds like maybe 60 days might be a legal thing (I've never read the thing) to force them to delete it.

P.p.s the title implies you work for Vultr and were quiting. You actually just meant you're taking your millions in business somewhere else.

P.p.p.s what's the big deal, anyway? Since this is a mission critical production server, you have backups and a failure plan, so just restore that, spank your colleagues, and it won't be an issue ever again.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

You don't get it, Vultr is not in the wrong here.

You forgot to check/monitor emails sent from Vultr (which included the abuse report)
    You failed to take any action (or even an action) for a month (which is a very long period considering abuse reports)

As no response received from your end it implies that the server is not important to you and perhaps you might use it for more illegal activities (from Vultr's perspective) so better to delete it.

Your silence meant you did the activity knowingly (here, your colleague did but you had to bare the consequences)

Just move on.

• Change 'co-worker' to 'intern' and you got a deal.

• @TimboJones hey I realized just now, the title is kinda wrong and misleading. One thing, I am not denying that it's my fault. I was hoping they shut it down not deleting it. They can still earn you know and having the server shutdown means DMCA report is success.

In consideration I can still access my data then drop the service. It is a selfish idea but we actually does this.

When our client failed to pay we don't delete their data. We put it on archive for 24 months. Come on now, if they want their archive data they can pay for the storage fee of 24 months right. hehehe

• @sdglhm said:
    Change 'co-worker' to 'intern' and you got a deal.

ahahaha. this is crazy. I'll keep this in mind.

• @BlaZe said:
    You don't get it, Vultr is not in the wrong here.

You forgot to check/monitor emails sent from Vultr (which included the abuse report)
    You failed to take any action (or even an action) for a month (which is a very long period considering abuse reports)

As no response received from your end it implies that the server is not important to you and perhaps you might use it for more illegal activities (from Vultr's perspective) so better to delete it.

Your silence meant you did the activity knowingly (here, your colleague did but you had to bare the consequences)

Just move on.

yeah, It is my fault. I wish they have extended the consideration and just shut it down not deleting it totally. Shutdown means the DMCA is served, they still earn and I can still have the little chance of getting the data back after explaining my side since they still did not hear it due to my negligence.

• restore from your backups. done.

Thanked by 1vimalware