Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which attract you the most in a VPS deal? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which attract you the most in a VPS deal?

2»

Comments

• @hivalidity said:

@brian777 said:
    Location > Bandwidth > Storage > Price may depend along with reputation

May I know how much RAM, Core, Disk, and Bandwidth you appreciate under $5/mo?

if it's about business something like what DO and Vultr offering already pretty good, have close location, instant provisioning, and high stock availability. If it's for private project/experiment make it as cheap as possible since i don't store important stuff on a single vps.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited August 2021

A fair slice of what I could get at Hetzner etc.

Most VPS providers are poor value for one or more of cpu/ram/storage. Usually storage followed by cpu cores. Providers like netcup, phpfriends, contabo are the only sanely priced VPS providers.

Other providers sell you good super-cheap options, sure, but once you move higher up the price bands, you are into dedicated server prices before you get towards the cheapest dedi at Hetzner etc, and still nowhere near the specs of the dedi. It would be better if the profit margin was linear, but it seems to be much higher at the higher end of the VPS market

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Private networking across DCs
    API access
    Can form high availability clusters

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I'm attracted by: can get discounts with push-ups, so that final cost is less than $12/year.
    Nexril push-up special: normally $32.40, I pay $8.40 after 24 push-ups.

My usual spec nowadays:

• 20% persistent CPU allowance
    • 1GB RAM
    • 15GB SSD
    • 500GB monthly transfer on 100Mbps port
    • /64 subnet and NAT IPv4 20 ports
    • $12/year

Will pay more for: more CPU allowance, more RAM, or dedicated IPv4 in certain locations.
    Will not pay more for: Ryzen, faster port, double bandwidth.

Thanked by 1cold
  • Mood at the moment.

• The hens must produce good virus-free chickens, price is near 0 and defend fully against inferior mjj attacks at all times.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • My choice as follows:network->location->CPU&RAM&DISK->Special features(such sa backup /snapshot/rDNS etc)->price->Technique support.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited August 2021

I think instant provisioning is a requirement. VPS/cloud this is 'easy'... but you'd be surprised.

The VPS management system/templates matter a lot too.

The images should be recent and unmodified. I don't want something the provider messed with. Ideally I can use my own image/ISO.

Linode doesn't even really let you change the partitions from what I recall.

As for the actual service... I mainly look for better locations (for me) than Hetzner. The latency is worth it for the most part :smile:

I just want the resources/pricing to be competitive, every year the goal posts move. I'm more interested in reputability/stability.

(Truly) private networks are nice. Not like Scaleway where everyone can basically talk to anyone though :grin:

• can any provider make

2 cpu shared burst fully
    2GB RAM
    20GB SSD or more
    500GB monthly transfer on 100Mbps port or more
    1 dedicate IPv4
    some IPv6
    KVM virutlization
    $15/year

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited August 2021

My biggest attraction to deals is choosing a provider that doesn't post stupid shit in worthless threads for the sake of inflating post count.

Native, non-tunneled, IPv6 assigned in correct allocations.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @notarobo said:
    can any provider make

2 cpu shared burst fully
    2GB RAM
    20GB SSD or more
    500GB monthly transfer on 100Mbps port or more
    1 dedicate IPv4
    some IPv6
    KVM virutlization
    $15/year

Checkout hosthatch's latest thread it has everything you need except 2 cpu at exactly the same price if you pay for 2 years

• HDD for storage or backup.

• Asian locations with unmetered bandwidth.

• I'm attracted to:

• Exotic locations. (SG HK ID TW TH VN LA etc).
    • DMCA ignored.
    • Unmetered bandwidth.
    • DMCA ignored.
    • Abuse reports being /dev/null'ed.
    • DMCA ignored.
    • My Budget is always about 5$/mo.

I don't DDoS, spam, flood, hack, annoy other customers on my nodes or abuse system resources either... however I like "free shit" whether it is apps/music/movies/TV/XXX; it's better when it's FREE.

DMCAs are a joke. (tm)

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited August 2021

@hivalidity said:
    Please share your opinion on this survey.

Downtime attracts me most. The less uptime you guarantee the more certain I am in buying a VPS from you.

Hosts such as @cociu which don't reply to tickets either and have 0% uptime are the best! I already bought hundreds of VPS's there! I expect that they never get setup, have no uptime and never receive any replies to tickets.

If you are a host that loves downtime as much as me then leave your link to your site!

The End is Nigh.

Thanked by 1BKKHK
  • Bandwidth also matters to me along with high CPU + RAM

• Unlimited Bandwidth and 12USD/Year

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@imgmoney said:
    Unlimited Bandwidth and 12USD/Year

On a 64kbps port? ;)

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

Uptime/stable attracts me the most, and then the platform, like KVM.

• frogfrog Barred
    edited August 2021

Accepted currency is the most important thing.
    I buy all VPS's that I can pay cash with Z$.

• Working and reliable ipv6

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Free snapshots, latest OS version by default, easy SSH key management

• Location, storage and bandwidth.
    I have no need for performance, I would take 100GB spinning rust over 50GB ssd/nvme any day. Likewise, I would take 100MBit unlimited over 1TB/month on a 1Gbit port or similar.

If I need performance, I will run on dedicated hardware. If I buy a VPS, it's for some kind of lightweight hosting. I have never hit CPU, I/O or memory limits on a VPS, but I have ran out of space several times so for me big storage > fast storage.

Thanked by 1dimqua
  • Big HDD storage + low price, because such deals are quite rare