Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap 10G Switches
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap 10G Switches

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited July 2021 in General

Anyone have any suggestions for some relatively cheap 10G switches but solid enough for use in a production/commercial environment? This is for a SAN / Cloud Storage network.

At first I was looking at the Unifi (Ubiquiti) US-16-XG. It's cheap and chearful. Looks pretty good. But a friend of mine said that under load, this thing gets a lot of random packet loss, which is a no no. Anyone have experience with this switch and can confirm this?

I also found a bunch of 48x 10G RJ45 port Celestica switches. Celestica D2030 Redstone. However, I also have no experience with this brand.

Currently I run various models of Cisco, Dell and Arista switches. Cisco is too expensive. The Arista and Dells are ok, but the Celestica is half the price.

Anyone have any experience with Celesticas?

Comments

• JioJio Member
    edited July 2021

Have you see if there is any FS.com generic switch?

AVOID Ubiquiti. Terrible software, terrible company, you literally get full screen ads, as much as possible is moved to cloud by force (including auto reboot update overnight)

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/

https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-wireless-routers-to-quietly-phone-HQ-with-telemetry-/c2118b81-7d9f-4b86-ba51-d79ecaa5414a

https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-Analytics-cannot-be-disabled-whatsoever/300f6fed-118e-4cd9-9a47-d399c53483f9 (force pushed telemetry sending them details about your network, opted in default, no way to opt out at launch, then after a ton of anger they release a very obnoxious way to and tell people to just block the ip or hostname)

https://community.ui.com/questions/A-Request-for-Local-Accounts-in-light-of-this-breach-1-11-2021/4972a1fb-ff95-4dc3-b920-63b3b292bf96 - they forced as many people as possible to move onto cloud auth - you need internet and you need to make an account on their cloud auth to sign in to your local device - this was being enabled irrevocably as part of software updates without notice

Video ads in dashboard, disabled previous ability to make local accounts or operate offline, unremovable telemetry followed by staff getting upset that people were complaining and "why do you care so much??", incredibly negligent cloud practices and compromise after forcing everyone to use the cloud with no local option.

I've literally had to rebuild these for small businesses after unannounced overnight upgrades forced you to sign on unifi.ui.com instead of at the device, random loss of credentials, all sorts of dumb settting reset footguns in cloud panel

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

mikrotik

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Jio. Wow. good to know.

@ericls, no!

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

I know you said Cisco is too expensive but I thought I would mention one anyway.

CISCO N3K-C3064PQ-10GE (or 10GX) can be had quite cheap if bought in bulk, typically around 800-900 USD per switch. We use quite few of these and they are excellent.

Thanked by 2randvegeta vimalware
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@terrahost said:
    CISCO N3K-C3064PQ-10GE (or 10GX) can be had quite cheap if bought in bulk

LowEnd group buy? @jbiloh... that is a good feature idea.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

If you're fine with using fiber, get an Arista DCS7050QX-32 which has 24 QSFP+ ports capable of breaking out to 4x SFP+ meaning you can have 96 SFP+ ports on a single 1u switch. The 7050QX-32's are extremely cheap at the moment at only 300 EUR each if you know where to look.

@terrahost said:
    I know you said Cisco is too expensive but I thought I would mention one anyway.

CISCO N3K-C3064PQ-10GE (or 10GX) can be had quite cheap if bought in bulk, typically around 800-900 USD per switch. We use quite few of these and they are excellent.

yes that's pretty cheap.

Where do you get that kind of price?

I am not buying in bulk though.

@CConner said:
    If you're fine with using fiber, get an Arista DCS7050QX-32 which has 24 QSFP+ ports capable of breaking out to 4x SFP+ meaning you can have 96 SFP+ ports on a single 1u switch. The 7050QX-32's are extremely cheap at the moment at only 300 EUR each if you know where to look.

300 EUR is very cheap.

I'd prefer to stick with Rj45 though. But this sounds cheap enough to buy regardless.

Where can you get such glorious pricing?

@randvegeta said:

@terrahost said:

yes that's pretty cheap.

Sometimes on ebay, but mostly through refurbishers like Townsend Networks.

@randvegeta said:

Let me present glorious pricing :P

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233991927350

Thanked by 1randvegeta
    edited July 2021

@randvegeta said:

@terrahost said:

yes that's pretty cheap.

Usually, we get our stuff from the folks over at https://emxcore.com/ - they back all of their sales with a 1-year warranty and actually have most of the stuff they sell in stock in the Amsterdam warehouse. Been pretty satisfied so far. If you're ordering anything, make sure to talk to Robert or Gregory and tell them Jesse sent you.

Using DAC breakout cables (https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/36215.html?attribute=1342&id=146055) gets the price down to 8.25 EUR per uplink and also gives the customers the possibility to upgrade to 40G down the line.

We've recently made the switch, and are now exclusively using this setup for our server uplinks.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @ericls said:
    mikrotik

+1

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said:

@terrahost said:

Interesting concept! Something to think about!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@MannDude said:

@terrahost said:

Hardware group buys for providers. Not sure it'd be worth the hassle to organize, but everyone would be happy to save some money on server components and gear.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

If you want SFP+, I'd recommend a Juniper QFX3500 or QFX5100. Don't really know any 10gig RJ45 switches.

• MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

Dell N4064 cheap and 10Gb rj45 ports

• vm_jevm_je Member
    edited July 2021

You can get cheap N5596UP. It's enough for switching.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:
    Anyone have any suggestions for some relatively cheap 10G switches but solid enough for use in a production/commercial environment? This is for a SAN / Cloud Storage network.

At first I was looking at the Unifi (Ubiquiti) US-16-XG. It's cheap and chearful. Looks pretty good. But a friend of mine said that under load, this thing gets a lot of random packet loss, which is a no no. Anyone have experience with this switch and can confirm this?

I also found a bunch of 48x 10G RJ45 port Celestica switches. Celestica D2030 Redstone. However, I also have no experience with this brand.

Currently I run various models of Cisco, Dell and Arista switches. Cisco is too expensive. The Arista and Dells are ok, but the Celestica is half the price.

Anyone have any experience with Celesticas?

I ran a us-16-xg for the first year and didn't have any issues out of the SFP+ ports... the rj45 ports had issues with 10G but I default them down to 1G and didn't have issues.
    Only reason for me getting away from it was I ran out of ports.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@aqua said: Don't really know any 10gig RJ45 switches.

The QFX5100 is available in RJ45: QFX5100-48T

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@qps said:

@aqua said: Don't really know any 10gig RJ45 switches.

The QFX5100 is available in RJ45: QFX5100-48T

Well @randvegeta there you go sir.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

never heard 10G and cheap in a single sentace before haha!

• Ubiquity gear always looks good on paper, but the more you use and learn the more warts you find. All their stuff is "half-assed".

• mike1smike1s Member

Nexus 5010s can be found on ebay for under 200 if you're fine with used gear.

• TonyBTonyB Member

You may also want to look at a baremetal switch. A few brands come to mind FS, EdgeCore, Penguin, QCT, even DELL or HPE for that matter. They may come with a stock OS but can also use ONIE and load a paid or free OS over the stock OS.

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited July 2021

@MannDude said:

@jbiloh said:

@MannDude said:

@terrahost said:

Hardware group buys for providers...

@jbiloh
    and VPS/dedi group buys for all LET members

I imagine that if provider would have LET preorders for complete batch (node/rack) it could offer better price/specs

with "LET Drop" announcements only thread, which anybody interested in could subscribe

@terrahost said:

@randvegeta said:

Holy shit. That's super cheap.

Do those QSFP ports support those 4x SFP breakout adapter/cables?

That would be like having a 128 port switch! Of course those adapters would be ridiculously expensive.

• @randvegeta said:

@terrahost said:

@randvegeta said:

That would be like having a 128 port switch! Of course those adapters would be ridiculously expensive.

Not sure what breakout you're referring to, but I'd think there's physically not enough space for all those adapters to make it 128.

• Check out Brocade SAN switch.

• sanvitsanvit Member

May I ask why? was thinking of getting one from them

@randvegeta said:

@terrahost said:

@randvegeta said:

As I mentioned, 24 out of the 32 ports support breaking out to 4x SFP+. Making for 96 SFP+ connections on a single 300 EUR 1u switch. A breakout cable (QSFP+ -> 4x SFP+) costs 32 EUR on FS.com.

Thanked by 1randvegeta