Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Innovation's IP space is going to be revoked by AFRINIC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud Innovation's IP space is going to be revoked by AFRINIC

avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Hmm, just noticed this announcement.

Dear Colleagues,

AFRINIC hereby informs all those concerned that it has initiated actions for the reclamation of Internet number resources from Cloud Innovation Ltd.

On 07 July 2021, the Supreme Court of Mauritius delivered a judgement whereby the application for injunction lodged by Cloud Innovation Ltd has been set aside.

Consequently, on 08 July 2021, AFRINIC’s Board of Directors, whilst acting reasonably and in good faith, more so, in light of the judgment of the Supreme Court of Mauritius, found that Cloud Innovation Ltd failed to honour its obligations under the Registration Service Agreement and has thus decided to terminate the membership of Cloud Innovation Ltd as well as reclaim its number resources in the following manner:

The resources previously allocated to Cloud Innovation Ltd will be ‘frozen’ on the AFRINIC WHOIS database with Cloud Innovation Ltd no longer having access to the same.

In order not to disrupt Internet connectivity of the relevant users especially in the current context of the COVID-19 pandemic, all affected users will exceptionally be granted a grace period of 90 days to consider other available options in their best interests. Consequently, the actual reclamation of the relevant number resources will occur following the expiry of the grace period.

Eddy Kayihura
Chief Executive Officer,
African Network Information Centre (AFRINIC)
ceo at afrinic.net

I did some research and there are around 20k inetnum objects frozen by AFRINIC. Here's a summary:

45.192.0.0/12
154.80.0.0/12
154.192.0.0/11
156.224.0.0/11

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

WTF they are the only one enforcing policies so hard lol

• :D Interesting

From Cloud Innovation

That's just the unilateral act and statement of afrinic. Our legal procedure is in progress. Our legal affairs will have a unified statement as soon as possible. Don't worry.

Translate from Chinese.

• Don't worry, be happy

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2021

@skorupion said:

Seems so. According to their WHOIS audit report published in Jan 2021, they reclaimed 1,060,864 IPv4 resources and 1,310,720 IPv4 resources are yet to be reclaimed due to ongoing diligence being carried out. That's around 36 * /16.

https://afrinic.net/ast/pdf/afrinic-whois-audit-report-overview-20210121.pdf

@aveline said:

@skorupion said:

Seems so. According to their WHOIS audit report published in Jan 2021, they reclaimed 1,060,864 IPv4 resources and 1,310,720 IPv4 resources are yet to be reclaimed due to ongoing diligence being carried out. That's around 36 * /16.

https://afrinic.net/ast/pdf/afrinic-whois-audit-report-overview-20210121.pdf

yep, that's why you don't go into that region

• What's the reason behind the revocations?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@malignify said: What's the reason behind the revocations?

>

Extreme fraud.

They have basically no equipment in Africa, but have basically a /9 of IP space.

Francisco

@NeroCloud said: From Cloud Innovation

Shouldn't it be Cloud Invulcanation?

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@malignify said:
    What's the reason behind the revocations?

Greed.

• @aqua - how so? What exactly are they doing against their rules? You seem to know the situation well enough to sum it up in one word

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@databoss said:
    @aqua - how so? What exactly are they doing against their rules? You seem to know the situation well enough to sum it up in one word

Clearly someone doesn’t understand a joke.

Theoretically speaking those IP Ranges are worth a shit ton.

@aqua said: Theoretically speaking those IP Ranges are worth a shit ton.

But they are worthless in AfriNIC because you can literally still request IP addresses from them lol

@skorupion said:

But they are worthless in AfriNIC because you can literally still request IP addresses from them lol

You can freely request /11 and /12’s?

@aqua said:

@skorupion said:

well now you can

• JioJio Member

the only thing i am surprised by is how long this took.

@skorupion said: well now you can

.....not unless you're an absolutely massive ISP with justification.

Afrinic went through major fraud issues in the past few years when their leader/ceo/whatever was the one committing it. He sold ranges that were then transferred out of region.

I'm fairly sure Cloud Innovations got their blocks during his tenure (greased palms and all that).

There's some very large chinese focused datacenters that are in for a world of hurt if this all goes through.

Francisco

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco said: Afrinic went through major fraud issues in the past few years when their leader/ceo/whatever was the one committing it. He sold ranges that were then transferred out of region.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/330379-how-internet-resources-worth-r800-million-were-stolen-and-sold-on-the-black-market.html

• ApeWebApeWeb Member, Host Rep

I wonder at what point it would become cost effective to build a DC in North Africa/Morocco with good access to Europe for the cheap IPs/labor.

• JioJio Member

@ApeWeb said: I wonder at what point it would become cost effective to build a DC in North Africa/Morocco with good access to Europe for the cheap IPs/labor.

You'd have all your savings offset by the nosebleed shit bandwidth and power

@Jio said: power

can be solved with solar panels, and probably companies like he or telia have enough funding to create dedicated fiber lines to them

• ApeWebApeWeb Member, Host Rep

@Jio said:

@ApeWeb said: I wonder at what point it would become cost effective to build a DC in North Africa/Morocco with good access to Europe for the cheap IPs/labor.

You'd have all your savings offset by the nosebleed shit bandwidth and power

I think power is supposed to be cheap in Morocco. Even so stick a load of solar in the desert and claim to be renewable.

Morocco is very close to Spain and Gibraltar so bw shouldn't be a major issue.

I think Morocco is also fairly large entry point for fibre into Central Africa so doesn't suffer from major congestion issues but I might be wrong about that.

I think the biggest problem could be with the Moroccan government not being fairly autocratic.

• @databoss said: @aqua - how so? What exactly are they doing against their rules? You seem to know the situation well enough to sum it up in one word

Read Ronald F. Guilmette's posts on NANOG and the RIPE mailing lists, they should give you a fairly good idea of how AFRINIC IP blocks were misappropriated.

Now we only need the IP ranges of "AECI Information Services (Pty) Ltd" to be involucrated, for some reason @leapswitch keeps ignoring the fact that they announce these stolen IP blocks.

Maybe @alexvolk could pester Leapswitch for announcing stolen IP blocks instead of going after new providers for not accepting Paypal.

edited July 2021

@stevewatson301 said:
    Maybe @alexvolk could pester Leapswitch for announcing stolen IP blocks instead of going after new providers for not accepting Paypal.

No, too much work. He should just continue targeting new LET hosts and tell them they’re sketch and sus.

@skorupion said:

@aqua said:

@skorupion said:

well now you can

Doesn’t mean you’ll get it. You can request a /8 from ARIN, but it doesn’t guarantee anything.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited July 2021

@FAT32 @jbiloh sorry to tag you guys here, but can the provider tag be involucrated if you're running a huge proxy network with stolen IPs?

Before the provider in question can go all in on their damage control mode, I'd like to provide some proof:

$ whois 168.80.24.0/22 -h whois.afrinic.net | sed -n '/REMARK/,/REMARK/p'
    remarks:        ============REMARK===================
    remarks:        The custodianship of this IP prefix is presently
    remarks:        deemed to be in dispute. Consequently,
    remarks:        no change request pertaining to this particular
    remarks:        prefix will be entertained by AFRINIC until the
    remarks:        issue is finally resolved between the disputants
    remarks:        themselves or by a competent authority.
    remarks:        Further, whilst the current holder of the said prefix
    remarks:        continues to hold same, AFRINIC shall bear no
    remarks:        responsibility whatsoever in relation thereto and
    remarks:        disputants are encouraged to resolve the said
    remarks:        dispute expeditiously.
    remarks:        ============REMARK===================

• @thedp said:

@Francisco said: Afrinic went through major fraud issues in the past few years when their leader/ceo/whatever was the one committing it. He sold ranges that were then transferred out of region.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/330379-how-internet-resources-worth-r800-million-were-stolen-and-sold-on-the-black-market.html

A purged thread on that forum: https://pdfhost.io/v/~BVAzvrey_cloudinnopdf.pdf

Thanked by 2DP malignify
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

Cloud Innovartions = host1plus

I met Heng Lu on Neutral ground (in Iceland 2019, complicated story) and am fairly confident he (aside of being an investor, same as me) is unrelated to host1plus.

Thanked by 2mikewazar JasonM
  • JioJio Member

@William said: I met Heng Lu on Neutral ground (in Iceland 2019, complicated story) and am fairly confident he (aside of being an investor, same as me) is unrelated to host1plus.

I don't recall heng being related to host1plus. Maybe at most they rent on heficed marketplace but cloudinnvations = larus cloud service, isn't it ?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

No, Cloud Innovations = Host1Plus = Heficed = Larus.

It started out as Host1plus aka Digital Energy Technologies Limited.

https://vpsboard.com/threads/host1plus-digital-energy-technologies-premium-ip-hoarding-proof-inside.7783/

I am same as him an investor in Host1Plus, although i did not know what i invest in. He has operational control to some extent so is liable. His wife has attorney of law power over the companies. I own 16.5% of a company construct that somehow owns them, and doubt he even knows that.

Thanked by 2mikewazar bulbasaur