Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with ChicagoVPS - Reasons I Cancelled - Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Issues with ChicagoVPS - Reasons I Cancelled - Review

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Lol and there he is, nice to see you Chris

• My vps in chicagovps had reached bandwidth limit once,that's impossible because I just left it idle. So I submitted a ticket,they reset the bandwidth with no charge.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2013

I like a good laugh as much as the next guy, however this review is a joke. To me it looks more like a rant, a huge one that is that can't even be verified. Usually reviews, especially those by dissatisfied customers are accompanied by some benchmarks, possibly even some screenshots, support tickets and so on. I don't see any of that here.

I know that @CVPS_Chris can be loud (so to speak) on forums, and that many don't like him because of that, but I also know that due to the intense competition in the hosting industry sabotage by negative review is a pretty common tactic to scare potential customers away from your competitors services. Whatever the case may be, the OP's last statement about switching to Linode was gold. Bottom line: if it smells like B.S., it usually is. Until the OP can make a serious and convincing case for his dissatisfaction with Chicago VPS, he and his review should not be taken seriously.

Thanked by 2jimpop Maounique
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2013

@marcm - Whatever way you look at it, as a provider you should gauge your performance not on how many positives you have, but the negatives and how you respond to them.

CVPS_Chris said: As far as the OP, I cant talk about it unless I have some info. We have over 20,000 clients, so its impossible for me to comment on a ticket I know nothing about. This is not some little hobby host like BuyVM etc that only get 15 tickets a day.

As far as BW used, Im sure that is the case, we have no reason to just shut someone off for no reason.

And that is not the way. Sure there are plenty jimpop's out there who have no issues and love the service, but the minute they get an issue and experience similar problems as others they will be here too posting in the same way.

CVPS is a provider with a big red target on their back for too many reasons.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • marcm, Please, tell me what kind of screenshots you would like? My VPS has been suspended, I can not start it and can not take "screen shots" of bandwidth I did not use. You don't have to believe me, but don't call me a lier without proof either.

CVPS_Chris, is it your policy to suspend customers' accounts without notice? For instance, why didn't I receive an email that I am at 90% bandwidth before my VPS was suspended? Why didn't I receive an email AFTER my VPS was suspended to let me know that it was suspended? Why don't you provide Bandwidth Usage charts, or any usage charts at all? Is it because then I would have something to screen shot and offer to people like marcm as proof. Further, why was my screen session crashing on your servers? Why were my crontab files changed without notice?

CVPS_Chris, I do not know you, for all I know you are a good guy. It looks like others have some strong opinions about you on this board, but I don't know you personally, so I do not prejudge. I don't expect you to know what's going on with every one of your claimed 20,000 VPS clients. However, I do expect you to structure your business in such a way that customers do NOT get their service cutoff WITHOUT notice. Further, I would not blame you for the unauthorized access to my VPS, as I am sure it's one of your many employees who has done it. But I would expect you to at least try to PM me and find out more. If I was running a VPS service, and someone posted a review in which they claimed unauthorized access to their VPS by my employees, I would want to get to the bottom of this issue.

Since I moved the same exact server to Linode, which does provide usage charts, I have used 2.43 GB of bandwidth in 2 days, that's including uploading all the files to the server, bandwidth testing, etc. I am not praising Linode, for all I know, they could suck. All I know is that they respond to my support tickets in under 10 minutes. I read some really shitty reviews about Linode as well, so, please, make no mistake, this is NOT a positive review for Linode, this is a NEGATIVE review for Chicago VPS.

CVPS_Chris, if you would like to find out more about this case, please PM me, and we can talk. Maybe I am wrong, and if I am, I will take back everything I have said here.

• Just take some pictures of the support tickets and suspended VPS in CVPS's billing system. WHM I assume?

• W1V_Lee said: And that is not the way. Sure there are plenty jimpop's out there who have no issues and love the service, but the minute they get an issue and experience similar problems as others they will be here too posting in the same way.

Actually you are wrong @W1V_Lee. I have posted here in the past about CVPS problems, but not in the same vitriol filled way. Quit making stuff up about others, esp me, please.

• Jack said: For the above, CVPS has Solus disabled right? therefore bandwidth notification emails will probably be getting blocked..

Blocked by whom? In any case, they must have a system that monitors BW usage. Right. Otherwise, how would they know if I went over. So, if they have a system that monitors BW usage, why don't they have a system that notifies you that you are at 90%, or when you are over the limit. Why is it that to find out that my server was suspended due to going over the limit on bandwidth I have to 1) notice that the server is down, 2) login and submit a ticket request, and 3) wait for someone to answer the ticket.

• While it's nice to get all sorts of service abuse email warnings from a provider, it's not required anywhere that they provide them. Abuse is abuse, even without a warning. Sure it may seem cruel that, without any warning, you were cancelled; but as a CVPS customer I like the fact that they boot the abusers (personally, I'd like them to do it faster and more often, so that they get a no-bullshit reputation). If you want to make sure you aren't cancelled next time, monitor your own usage... or go with a provider that offers managed services.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
     uptime
     20:43:36 up 146 days, 10:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.60, 0.57, 0.45 

just sayin'

• what has this world come to if we cant leave a review, without being suspected of subterfuge ?

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • @darkshire said:
    what has this world come to if we cant leave a review, without being suspected of subterfuge ?

Normal? Critical reviews generally require evidence.

• jimpop said: Normal? Critical reviews generally require evidence.

jimpop, don't call me a lier unless you have proof your self.

I have submitted a request with ChicagoVPS to turn my server on so I can pull the last few hours worth of logs from it. I have also just submitted a request to have access to bandwidth logs for my server for the last month. If they answer, I will gladly post more proof. If not, there isn't much I can do.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2013

And what kind of bw logs are you expecting?
    Every connection to every f-ing IP and the amount of traffic for TB of data ?
    That only NSA can provide, sorry.
    If my provider would be able to offer me that, I would switch.

• @x0054 said:
    don't call me a lier unless you have proof your self.

It's "liar". You were asked to show proof (screen shots of support emails, graphs, etc), and you didn't. You were asked to publicly declare that it was OK for CVPS to reveal to us your abuse history, and you didn't.

• Maounique said: And what kind of bw logs are you expecting?

CVPS has a b/w graph in their ClientArea, it can easily be imgur'ed and shown to us by @x0054, or by CVPS with @x0054's permission.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jimpop said:
    It's "liar".

Punctuation fail. Sorry I had to :P

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

jimpop said: CVPS has a b/w graph in their ClientArea

If they are using SolusVM, it isn't shown if the container is suspended.

• @qps said:

CVPS doesn't use SolusVM.

• jimpop said: CVPS has a b/w graph in their ClientArea, it can easily be imgur'ed and shown to us by @x0054, or by CVPS with @x0054's permission.

All it shows is "Bandwidth 0 B of 0 B Used / 0 B Free." I do not wish to have my logs posted all over the internet, but ChicagoVPS does have my permission to show my bandwidth charts for this month, as well as months prior. In fact, I would love to see them my self.

edited November 2013

And that will prove nothing. I can guarantee you I can fake any graphic and picture showing you were over quota very easy, real logs with text and IPs/hostnames are much harder to fake unless all traffic is just towards/from a few destinations.
    I suspect you had some open resolver which was used in DDoS amplification attacks.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

jimpop said: CVPS doesn't use SolusVM.

Then CVPS_Chris needs to update his signature:

CVPS_Chris said: SolusVM Control Panel

• x0054x0054 Member
    edited November 2013

Maounique said: I suspect you had some open resolver which was used in DDoS amplification attacks.

cat /etc/bind/named.conf.options
    allow-recursion {none;};
    allow-query-cache {none;};

As for the graphs, here is the graph of the last few days of my server at it's new home: http://imgur.com/N6er1t6

The initial traffic spike is me uploading files from backup.

And here is the "graph" ChicagoVPS provides me at the moment: http://imgur.com/P9f5WYn

I do not deny that my server may have been compromised, and that's why I would like to review my server logs for the last few hours of operation, but that requires cooperation from ChicagoVPS.

However, if it comes out later on that it was my server targeted as part or target of DDOS, I still think that ChicagoVPS should have notified me when I was getting closer to my bandwidth limit.

Update: Or, at the very least, I should have received an email AFTER they suspended my service.

• @x0054 - TL;DR (again, duh...)

I've read a bit more through your mind bending review and came across this:

To run the update process I was running a PHP script in screen. I never, ever had a problem running TT-RSS before. However, on ChicagoVPS, the screen would mysteriously “crash” once every day, around midnight.

and then this:

I logged into the server and noticed that my cronjob was removed! No, not cron crashed or something, just that one job was removed from the crontab by someone or something.

I can only imagine how someone at Chicago VPS was just waiting for you to set up a cron job so that they can remove it. Did set it up as root, cause I can't imagine anyone being so patient to look for the user under which the cron job was set up.

and then there is even more:

Finally, today they completely shut my service down. No warning, no emails, no explanations, nothing! [...] The tech support person told me that my server was shutdown because I reached my 2TB per month bandwidth.

For God's sake, provide some proof. If by any minute chance this would be true then you should have asked support nicely to fix this because it is an error.

Now I am a Linode customer [...] fuck ChicagoVPS.

Why didn't you go with Linode in the first place? What stopped you? Chicago VPS is targeted mostly at a budget oriented audience. Not that Linode is perfect, but they do have stellar up-times.

Further proof that your review is bullshit: what kind of virtualization was your VPS running on? How about providing us with some support tickets, names, invoice, etc. What's your name? Who are you?

edited November 2013

x0054 said: I still think that ChicagoVPS should have notified me when I was getting closer to my bandwidth limit.

While that is a nice feature, I am sure many people do not offer it as long as they have some kind of monitoring in place that is available to the customer too (bw graphs).
    Most people offer unmanaged (self-managed) services and this means they give you the tools (if that) to manage it yourself.
    You could use observium, munin and friends to monitor it and get alarms.
    I am sorry, but this particular issue is not the host's fault.
    CVPS has many flaws and enemies, but at times, they are bashed without being at fault and it only feels right to play the devil's advocate (even tho I work for a competitor) and put some aspects in a different light.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Maounique said: CVPS has many flaws and enemies, but at times, they are bashed without being at fault and it only feels right to play the devil's advocate (even tho I work for a competitor) and put some aspects in a different light.

Ok, but to play the proverbial Devil's advocate, doesn't it make business sense to notify your client and offer them to buy more bandwidth? It can be a completely automated process, and it could result in more money for the provider and better service for the customer.

• Zen said: Many providers use tools to do all of this for them, just an FYI that it is fairly easy to find the owner of a process and then hop into his container and change things out. It's unethical but it's perfectly viable.

@Zen - since he didn't specify the virtualization type, I didn't assume that it was OpenVZ. Could have been KVM just as well, or maybe Xen.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@x0054 said:
    Ok, but to play the proverbial Devil's advocate, doesn't it make business sense to notify your client and offer them to buy more bandwidth? It can be a completely automated process, and it could result in more money for the provider and better service for the customer.

I would think you got terminated bc several abuses.

• It was OpenVZ. I assumed that was obvious, I was wrong.

edited November 2013

@x0054 said:

I dont know, from personal experience I am annoyed by emails saying i go close to the limit (I know that already since i set it that way and monitor closely) and ask me for more money.
    Unmanaged means the customer knows what is doing and doesnt like to be treated as an idiot, so, it may be a good idea but it depends who your average user is.
    If you gather customers with big flashy ads all over the net, that would absolutely make sense, if you rather recruit people that read reviews and make an informed choice and are (semi)professionals, that is probably not a good idea.