Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to utilize twenty people with good technical knowledge and free time efficiently?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to utilize twenty people with good technical knowledge and free time efficiently?

ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

So i have gotten in touch with about 20 freelancers from India and Bangladesh over the years with good technical knowledge related to websites, hardware, software, networking, server management and too many other stuff i don't really understand well.

We talk, chat, help each other out, somtimes work together and play PUBG usually during the time they wait for new orders on platforms like upwork and Fiverr.

Most of them aren't very well paid, but doing okay on their own territory.

I hire them time to time, whenever i need and i feel like they needs more work/jobs/orders than the platforms and I, myself can provide.

So i am here looking for good ideas on "How to utilize twenty people with good technical knowledge and free time efficiently?" or more like "How can i get them more jobs?"

You think you got the answers? Post in the comments so we can know.

• Shakib

From here

Posting this thread to help out some friends in need.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

I've been thinking about this recently. I wonder if it would be viable to start a web hosting/vps hosting company consulting business. Really it would be an outsourced support business at its core, but with a little bit more involvement. A hosting company would hire this consulting business to get their helpdesk back on track, clean up database, perform audit on hardware to remove any non-billed customers, provide some insights/feedback on company plans, handle any outstanding issues plaguing customers and affecting customer retention. I think a lot of companies could benefit from a service like this

Thanked by 2yoursunny Shakib
  • I think with a good team, you could look at making a nice product that has a niche requirement. Look at producthunt and that might give an idea of the trend (I see a lot of no-code platforms make it to the top 10 consistently). Brainstorm a product, look for the best in each platform and try to create your product based on that.

Once you have it developed, share it here. We could help in upvoting it on PH (Product Hunt not the other PH). You can list it on appsumo marketplace to get a good number of new users and a quick initial influx of capital to reward the hardwork that teams have done.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • You can suggest them to start their own business maybe. If they are good technical knowledge then they can definitely do a startup.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@ankursharma8715 said:
    You can suggest them to start their own business maybe. If they are good technical knowledge then they can definitely do a startup.

I already asked. They are freelancers. Not seems to be interested to own a business.

• wpyogawpyoga Member

Well, if they are good with Typescript and/or Angular, I might have some tasks for them :)

• swat4swat4 Member

get a good hosting domain from @thedp amd build a company :p

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@swat4 said:
    get a good hosting domain from @thedp amd build a company :p

He’s got better ones himself 😀

Thanked by 1Shakib

:*

• Offtopic: Add me if you play PUBG Mobile.

@amadex1337 said:
    Offtopic: Add me if you play PUBG Mobile.

PC only. Used to play PUBG Lite even though i have brought the stream version back in Dec 2019. Now the lite closed, we moved in to the stream PC version.

I have played PUBG Mobile only once on my friend's phone. :*

• Get them to do shitcoin mining with pen and paper.

• Count me in...
    So 20+1=21

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Count me in...
    So 20+1=21

Approx twenty.

Still. :*

• create a new crypto coin and ico it

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@Shakib said:
    We talk, chat, help each other out, somtimes work together and play PUBG usually during the time they wait for new orders on platforms like upwork and Fiverr.

I think maybe make a discord or something where interested parties can join. I have a couple of tasks every now and then where i have to get stuff done externally. So i could ask if any of them are interested in some work

Thanked by 3TeYroX Shakib Ympker

@SGraf said:

@Shakib said:

I think maybe make a discord or something where interested parties can join. I have a couple of tasks every now and then where i have to get stuff done externally. So i could ask if any of them are interested in some work

I am on it.

• WilliamWilliam Member

I am always in need of website designers for mockups, i do my own content/text but am absolutely zero knowledge on HTML.

Thanked by 2Shakib Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2021

I am also a freelance Webdesigner and while most of my clients are offline/face-to-face clients, I also have some "online" clients world-wide. If I can give one piece of advice, and that's only personal experience (it worked for me, does not have to work for others), I would suggest to try as many "healthy" communities (discord/facebook..) as possible. I have met most online clients on cool Discord communities and or Facebook groups centering about the whole tech/coding/freelance topic. CS50's Discord server also has some great content. TechUnicorn's and CSJackie's Discord is also nice and I have seen some people get recommended/scouted for jobs there. As for Fiverr, Upwork etc., I suppose it works for some people, too. I quickly quit Fiverr, though, since it was kinda price dumping and also really hard to compete against hundreds of five star ratings with offering the same service for 5€. At the end it was an environment at which, with the current time I have available to me to do my freelance business (it is only a small side business), I did no longer want to compete in. Upwork I have yet to try, but I am currently pretty much running at max. capacity so not really looking to dive into yet another market.

@Hassan idea also looks very nice. Maybe think about this one. Might just work out.

Also you can always pro-actively develop plugins for WHMCS/Blesta/WordPress and if there is demand for the features of your plugin, odds are there is money to be made ;)

Good luck to your friends and I hope they will find something. Really nice gesture to reach out and ask how you could help them :)

Kind regards,
    Ympker

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@Shakib said:
    So i have gotten in touch with about 20 freelancers from India and Bangladesh over the years with good technical knowledge related to websites, hardware, software, networking, server management and too many other stuff i don't really understand well.

Most of them aren't very well paid, but doing okay on their own territory.

I hire them time to time, whenever i need and i feel like they needs more work/jobs/orders than the platforms and I, myself can provide.

So i am here looking for good ideas on "How to utilize twenty people with good technical knowledge and free time efficiently?" or more like "How can i get them more jobs?"

You think you got the answers? Post in the comments so we can know.

• Shakib

From here

Posting this thread to help out some friends in need.

1. Are they looking for more work?
    2. Most freelancers only work on their free time.
    3. Did you ask them if they want more work?

I assume they don't want regular work but only freelance jobs or side jobs.

Ideas:
    1. Start a forum site, make them moderators and share ad profit.
    2. Start a web support services , like a managed wordpress services.
    3. Start your own fiverr type website

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2021

You have twenty keys, now you are trying to find a door that one of the keys can open. It's hard. It's easier for you to find a door you want to open and find 20 people to make a key to open it.

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@ankursharma8715 said: You can suggest them to start their own business maybe. If they are good technical knowledge then they can definitely do a startup.

Accounting is work, as is billing and so on. Easier to just do freelancing and not pay tax below the minimum turnover amount in your country (eg. here in Croatia almost 10000€/year is tax free as sole trader/private, while corporate tax starts at 0€ if you have a company).

Thanked by 2lazyt Ympker
    edited May 2021

@Shakib said:

@SGraf said:

@Shakib said:

I am on it.

We are available on Discord.

Invitation being sent.

Discord invite link: https://discord.gg/j5GQ9b3k

• mrTommrTom Member

A service idea that I have come accross lately is a "Quick MVP" service. (MVP=Minimum Viable Product)

eg some business guys have an idea and need a quick prototype to test if it works. so they need a complete team that can develop all aspects of the service (architecture, design, project management, coding, roll out, operations...) in short time for a limited budget. (similar to a hackathon)

if your guys cover all the skills required that could be something you could offer, and some projects might even turn into long term work.

• @mrTom said: A service idea that I have come accross lately is a "Quick MVP" service. (MVP=Minimum Viable Product)

This is something actually exists on the market. If you've enough funds, you can basically outsource building your entire company to a such consulting firm. Stay back and just guide them throughout the process to your liking.

• LeviLevi Member

Of course you can always open support scam call center. It is an option.

@LTniger said:

Karl Rock is looking for you. :*

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Shakib said:

@LTniger said:

Karl Rock is looking for you. :*

The Hindi New Zealander? :joy:

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2021

@William said:

@ankursharma8715 said: You can suggest them to start their own business maybe. If they are good technical knowledge then they can definitely do a startup.

Accounting is work, as is billing and so on. Easier to just do freelancing and not pay tax below the minimum turnover amount in your country (eg. here in Croatia almost 10000€/year is tax free as sole trader/private, while corporate tax starts at 0€ if you have a company).

It is ridiculous how much time I have to invest into accounting for a small business here in Germany. I am still a student at university and do this as a side gig with another side job. I am below the 9k-ish€/year tax-free limit and still have to do all the accounting. I am a german Kleinunternehmer (small business) and it really is a pita doing all the accounting. Is a sole trader/private in Croatia different from that, perhaps? Or would it be the equivalent? Does a sole trader in Croatia have to do all the accounting or is it less of a hassle when staying under the 10k/year?

I know we also have the Freiberufler in Germany which has a bit less trouble for accounting iirc but my local Finanzamt/Gewerbeamt told me I would need to register a small business and could not go the Freiberufler route (which would have less accounting work), so here I am.

Thanked by 1William
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@Ympker said: Is a sole trader/private in Croatia different from that, perhaps?

Yes. It is single sheet accounting, not double bookkeeping. I did it literally in Excel.

You don't even need to register at all. The target of this is obviously mostly tourism jobs (logic: tourists come and spend money, the gov takes 25% VAT anyway, why bother with VAT/income tax from their residents/citizens) but it very nicely works also for IT.

@Ympker said: Does a sole trader in Croatia have to do all the accounting or is it less of a hassle when staying under the 10k/year?

You can do it yourself but it is easier to pay an accountant, my wifes aunt does it for me and i pay around 500 HRK/month (75EUR ca.). Prices are government set, same as for notaries and lawyers.

We also have a very strong eGov system (you login with your netbanking or ministry of finance details) - You can open a company in a day for less than 50EUR without ever visiting a single gov office, just a random notary.

Companies are also income tax AND corporate tax free until you hit 300000 HRK (40000EUR) turnover, then you can close it and open a new one and repeat the process. This is absolutely legal.

The only times i went to the gov physically here is when i got my gun license, register new guns or change my residential address (citizens can also do this online).

Thanked by 2Ympker bulbasaur