Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Oracle cloud free tier reinstalling of OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Oracle cloud free tier reinstalling of OS

Hey there. How do I reinstall the OS?
I've been googling for like 30 mins now but can't seem to find it.
Or do I just terminate the instance and create a new one?

Comments

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited April 2021

    Yes, you can terminate the instance (including boot volume) and create a new one.
    Think instances as ephemeral.

    Public IPv4 will change.
    Use a load balancer if you want stable IPv4 for incoming requests.

    Thanked by 2skorupion cheapdave
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 2021

    Yes. If there's stock available in your region.

  • vnc + netboot.xyz

  • Reinstaller for Debian: https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

    Thanked by 2kkrajk konorbi
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited April 2021

    @farsighter said:
    Yes. If there's stock available in your region.

    My home region is Japan East (Tokyo).
    I terminate the instance when not in use.
    Every time I need an instance, I can get one instantly, and never experienced out of stock condition.

    Tokyo has improved routing to China earlier this year.
    They also released IPv6 support this month.
    I plan to try it out soon.

    I'm building a global Named Data Networking network to efficiently deliver push-up videos to worldwide viewers.
    Currently the last hop is WebSockets, but if I have my own network, I can use QUIC instead.
    It's great that I don't have to pay for the expensive bandwidth in Asia.
    I wish Oracle Cloud could allow free instances to be created on any region, so that I can have an instance in South America too.

    Thanked by 2xms Ganonk
  • @yoursunny said:
    I wish Oracle Cloud could allow free instances to be created on any region, so that I can have an instance in South America too.

    That sounds like an abuse of the 2 VM limit and more than one region.

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    @TimboJones said:

    @yoursunny said:
    I wish Oracle Cloud could allow free instances to be created on any region, so that I can have an instance in South America too.

    That sounds like an abuse of the 2 VM limit and more than one region.

    Most of the time, I have no use for 2 VMs in the same region.
    I wish to have 1 VM in Tokyo and 1 VM in Santiago, but I can't.

  • OujiOuji Member

    I agree that a second VM on another region would be golden.

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said: They also released IPv6 support this month.

    Tried that, but failed with "NotAuthorizedOrNotFound" error message

    Anyone?

    Thanked by 1farsighter
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 2021

    @yoursunny said:

    @farsighter said:
    Yes. If there's stock available in your region.

    My home region is Japan East (Tokyo).
    I terminate the instance when not in use.
    Every time I need an instance, I can get one instantly, and never experienced out of stock condition.

    My experience with Japan region was totally different about a year ago.
    I was helping a friend to setup his account and it was simply impossible to get a slot there, always with 'out of stock' error. Eventually I decided to automated the checking process with a script that ran every ~3 minutes (and notified me through Telegram when that error disappeared). Even then it took 2 days to get the first slot and another day to get the second. Nightmare.

  • Found this topic after searching for how to reinstall the OS on my Ampere free instance, not really wanting to terminate and recreate the instance to just reinstall the OS, as it took days of trying to get this instance as always out of stock in my region of the Ampere instances. Is there really no official way to reinstall the OS from within the oracle control panel other than to recreate the whole instance?

  • skorupionskorupion Member
    edited September 2021

    @UKCC1 said:
    Found this topic after searching for how to reinstall the OS on my Ampere free instance, not really wanting to terminate and recreate the instance to just reinstall the OS, as it took days of trying to get this instance as always out of stock in my region of the Ampere instances. Is there really no official way to reinstall the OS from within the oracle control panel other than to recreate the whole instance?

    sadly no (maybe netboot.xyz?)

  • Ok ill look at netboot.xyz, wish id taken a backup of the boot volume just after the instance had been provisioned, as restoring that backup of a clean install would be the as good as reinstalling the OS, as I don't want to move to a different OS just get it back to factory fresh install

  • @UKCC1 said:
    Ok ill look at netboot.xyz, wish id taken a backup of the boot volume just after the instance had been provisioned, as restoring that backup of a clean install would be the as good as reinstalling the OS, as I don't want to move to a different OS just get it back to factory fresh install

    You can't restore boot volume backup to a running instance. You have to create a new instance from that boot volume backup. Which is same as creating new instance from scratch in terms of host capacity issue. If you are ok with debian 11, you can just run the following commands.

    wget -O debi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh
    chmod a+rx debi.sh
    sudo ./debi.sh --hostname HostName --user USER --password PASS --sudo-with-password --ethx --bbr --cloud-kernel --timezone Asia/Dhaka
    sudo shutdown -r now
    

    This will reinstall to Debian 11 with cloud Kernel. Installation size is less than 700MB & network interface name will be eth0.

    Thanked by 2konorbi SpeedTest
  • @Hakim said: You can't restore boot volume backup to a running instance. You have to create a new instance from that boot volume backup. Which is same as creating new instance from scratch in terms of host capacity issue.

    It is possible to attach both volumes to a different instance (via iSCSI), then dd one to another. But the instance must be stopped for that, and starting it, is again, has you compete for available capacity to even start it. Yes, it will give the same "Out of host capacity" also on starting an already existing but stopped instance.

  • @Hakim
    Oracle uses enp0s3 and not ethx the last time I checked. will your command above worked?
    I am still coming to grips with linux !

  • @reddevil said:
    @Hakim
    Oracle uses enp0s3 and not ethx the last time I checked. will your command above worked?
    I am still coming to grips with linux !

    Yes it will work. It creates eth0 alias of enp0s3 as far I understand.

  • @NanoG6 said:

    @yoursunny said: They also released IPv6 support this month.

    Tried that, but failed with "NotAuthorizedOrNotFound" error message

    Anyone?

    I'm using IPv6 on Tokyo for around 2 months, no problem at all.

  • Anyone using the 4c/24gb arm instance along with 2 free instances. have you been billed ever?

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Host Rep

    @kkrajk said:
    Anyone using the 4c/24gb arm instance along with 2 free instances. have you been billed ever?

    nope as its clearly stated on their website always free.

    Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Hakim said:

    wget -O debi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh
    > chmod a+rx debi.sh
    > sudo ./debi.sh --hostname HostName --user USER --password PASS --sudo-with-password --ethx --bbr --cloud-kernel --timezone Asia/Dhaka
    > sudo shutdown -r now

    Thank you for this! I confirm it is working perfectly. Ubuntu 20.04 was the original OS with arm instance.

  • @konorbi said:

    @Hakim said:

    wget -O debi.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bohanyang/debi/master/debi.sh
    > > chmod a+rx debi.sh
    > > sudo ./debi.sh --hostname HostName --user USER --password PASS --sudo-with-password --ethx --bbr --cloud-kernel --timezone Asia/Dhaka
    > > sudo shutdown -r now

    Thank you for this! I confirm it is working perfectly. Ubuntu 20.04 was the original OS with arm instance.

    How to you start vps after shutdown?

  • Any success with 24GB instance reinstall instead of Oracle Linux

  • HakimHakim Member

    @codelock said: How to you start vps after shutdown?

    sudo shutdown -r now
    "-r" flag in the command means reboot.

  • codelockcodelock Member
    edited January 11

    @Hakim said:

    @codelock said: How to you start vps after shutdown?

    sudo shutdown -r now
    "-r" flag in the command means reboot.

    It worked thanks

  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 12

    @codelock said:
    How to you start vps after shutdown?

    Start it in Oracle console just like any other VM.

    Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @TimboJones said:

    @codelock said:
    How to you start vps after shutdown?

    Start it in Oracle console just like any other VM.

    That doesn't work with arm instance it is bugged

  • @codelock said: That doesn't work with arm instance it is bugged

    Nope. probably something wrong with your VM

  • @codelock said:

    @TimboJones said:

    @codelock said:
    How to you start vps after shutdown?

    Start it in Oracle console just like any other VM.

    That doesn't work with arm instance it is bugged

    Check network status that your DC doesn't have known issue and possibly recovering from and then request help in their forum.

  • rm_rm_ Member

    @codelock said: That doesn't work with arm instance it is bugged

    If you power-off your VM, starting it back up will only work if there's currently stock, in case of the free ARM this is not guaranteed.

    => do not power-off your VM.

    Thanked by 2yoursunny martheen
Sign In or Register to comment.