Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The worst experience you had with a host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The worst experience you had with a host

skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
edited March 2021 in General

What's the worst experience you had with a host.
How much did you pay for the service?
What were the specs of the service?

Comments

• Missing question: Was it an exit scam?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is scamly nigh.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited March 2021

honestly probably host hatch it was like $15 2 or 3 years ago and my ip would randomly change, server did whatever it wanted, and it would take like a month for a basic canned support reply that didnt fix my issue.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

My worst experience with a web host is OVH!

Why weren't my servers located in SBG2 Why didn't they go up in smokes?! I would have gotten 6 months of free service!

OVH is absolutely the worst.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@skorupion said:

Had a really bad experience with a provider about 10 years ago.
    Also had a not so good one (but not comparable to how bad the first one was) for a project with a "dc operator" a while back.

That being said. I'm not going into specifics as both companies are still around. And I don't think it does me or them any good to talk about historic issues.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

Maybe 15 years ago now, IPMI / IDRAC / KVM over IP were less common than they are now, so if you were reinstalling the OS on a dedicated server, data center staff would wipe the hard drive + run the OS installer for you (you'd provide your wanted partition layout, timezone, etc. in a ticket). I used to help a free web host with support + maintenance, and LayeredTechologies accidentally wiped two of our servers instead of another customer that was in the same rack. Since it was for a free web host, we didn't have very recent backups (no SLA on free services!). We started referring to them as "Lard Technologies" and moved all our servers with them to ThePlanet/EV1Servers instead.

More recent was QuadHost. I had a NAT VPS with them (7.75 GBP annually) and have a support ticket from December 2019 that never got a response.

Also, there's way too many hosts that ask for my root password when I create a ticket about network routing issues that aren't specific to my server. I don't even have a root password (root user is disabled and I use sudo with a regular user).

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • Pageclick reseller hosting by @Ishaq a few years ago circa 2017. Server was always unstable, always rebooting, sometimes working and sometimes not, etc.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • @Daniel15 said: More recent was QuadHost. I had a NAT VPS with them (7.75 GBP annually) and have a support ticket from December 2019 that never got a response.

Makes me feel better about mine from March 2020 that never got responded too. :)

A shame because the hardware I was on was wonderful but if anything ever went wrong I knew I was hosed so I couldn't trust it.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

I have never had many bad experiences with providers, surprisingly. If it's on LEB, maybe it isn't the best choice :)

As such, I would probably say my worst was with Microsoft Azure.

This was when I was first getting started in the cloud space. They say the cheapest VM is like $4 or something like that, so I'm all happy. Thought that was all I was paying. But then, at the end of a month, I get a charge that's a bit higher because I forgot to factor in the bandwidth, IP, and block storage. For a kid with no income, that was pretty infuriating.

Recently, I moved a bunch of old data in AWS S3 to archive storage to save money. Never realized just changing the mode from S3 hot storage to archival would cost so much, so much so it pretty much wiped out the cost savings of archive storage for the next six months... :(

People usually say the best cloud providers are the big three, yet if they had better pricing alerts ("this action will cost $1,000"), I would like them more.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur maverickp
  • @skorous said: A shame because the hardware I was on was wonderful but if anything ever went wrong I knew I was hosed so I couldn't trust it.

Yeah it was pretty decent. I had one of their New Zealand NAT VPSes. After a while, it started going offline for months at a time. I think the longest outage I recorded lasted three months. I was certain that they had deadpooled (no response to my support ticket about the outage), when one day it suddenly came back and worked perfectly for a few more months before permanently disappearing at the end of last year.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It has to be NexusBytes for me - terrifying. I’m paying almost peanuts for premium goods and services.

I think the owner is out of his mind, giving me an Aston Martin at the cost of a Prius.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@thedp said: I’m paying almost peanuts for premium goods and services.

pistachio nuts*

• M2DEVM2DEV Member

My worst experience with a host was when i sign up, choose a service, and after using for some days i was asked to pay it.
    Pay? With money? OUTRAGEOUS.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited March 2021

There've been quite a few deadpools.... Treudler, Cloudxtiny, Dedicenter/Rackhost, Northhost. But those were cheap and (more or less) idling boxes which could easily be restored from backups.

My worst experience was when I didn't receive any emails after MSP let my domain expire. I was really upset back then.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    1. Down for 12 hours at OVH due to DDOS coming from in network which wasn’t mitigated.
    2. OVH couldn’t cancel a server for me via panel or support. I gave up and walked away at the suggestion to use the API, I didn’t know how to use it at the time.
    3. OVH still can’t figure out how to cancel an old Exchange service that will forever remain half functional and unpaid in my account.
  • edited March 2021

Worst was with GoDaddy when I was young and dumb. Purchased a Reseller from them to sell their products and 2 weeks later I received notice from their attorney that they intended to sue me for having a similar business domain.

Hired the great Attorney John Berryhill who forced them to settle (best lawyer for domain disputes), but I wasted too much money on legal fees. The silver lining was that I was told by my attorney that Goddady later fired their attorney, Christine Jones, after Parsons sold GoDaddy. She was extremely hostile and threatening; very unprofessional.

• cPanel pricing hikes = pricing changes = migrate to DirectAdmin plan costs $4.95 one time.

It just simply creating backup from cPanel menu, transfer it to /home/admin/admin_backup, rename it to cpmove-myusername.tar.gz, and start clickin restore backup on admin dashboard.

and i still using them :neutral:

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2021

@ariq01 said:
    cPanel pricing hikes = pricing changes = migrate to DirectAdmin plan costs $4.95 one time.

It just simply creating backup from cPanel menu, transfer it to /home/admin/admin_backup, rename it to cpmove-myusername.tar.gz, and start clickin restore backup on admin dashboard.

and i still using them :neutral:

I wish 😂

Data loss imminent if that’s all you do. Database name length is the first obstacle. Then you lose all mail filters and can’t migrate them. Mailing lists don’t migrate. Gotta clean autoresponders out of alias files, gotta make sure the alias files keep everything else they had (lost a few of those but never had time to stop and troubleshoot, just fix).

That plan probably gave them the room to manually oversee and obsess over the details for each one.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited March 2021

I bought W00tH0sting on 2017-05-19, $15/year 1GB plan, 173.254.224.226.
    The server was very slow, and there's downtime every month.

On 2019-04-11, I suddenly received an email giving me a new IP, 5.180.23.102.
    However, neither IP works, and the server vanished.
    I lost 5 weeks of service that I've paid for.

There's no data loss because my website contains no database and can be deployed with rsync.
    However, I had to rush to buy another VPS, which costs double.

W00tH0sting is still here on LET, in a sense.
    Look up who owns the "old IP" listed above.
    Then, check LinkedIn of the CEO of the "#1 top provider", and look at their previous employers.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • notarobonotarobo Member
    edited March 2021

173.254.224.226 belong to quadranet, is good no?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • bshbsh Member

@skorupion said:

Worst experiences: pl. noun
    Best experience: singl. noun

• @thedp said:
    It has to be NexusBytes for me - terrifying. I’m paying almost peanuts for premium goods and services.

I think the owner is out of his mind, giving me an Aston Martin at the cost of a Prius.

Dude is mental. Always blames Bob.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2021

Cloud at Cost. I paid a few hundred for "lifetime" resources. The bad is the resources are old, slow and unstable and frequently lose servers, but it's unlimited bandwidth and no DMCA issues. After 6 years, I got my money's worth for test servers. It has IPv6 and scripting support.

Otherwise, Oracle lost several servers but they were free. Sent out an email saying there shouldn't be data loss, but there was.

• Worst host I ever used was a service called hostmetro. I was just beginning to use wordpress and cpanel. My site was live for roughly 4 to 8 hours per day. However, if we're talking solely about LET providers then HostDoc wins the trophy. I'd never seen a company get mad at you for opening a ticket.

Thanked by 1its420somewhere
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stephfd21 said:
    I'd never seen a company get mad at you for opening a ticket.

It's better than getting charged $15 for opening a ticket.
    Ahem, VirMach (for Black Friday specials only).

• pkrpkr Member
    edited March 2021

For me, SSDNodes is the worst host.
    I am still stuck with them because they don't offer any refund.

On their homepage, they compare themselves with DO, but in reality they just sell shit.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@pkr said:
    For me, SSDNodes is the worst host.
    I am still stuck with them because they don't offer any refund.

On their homepage, they compare themselves with DO, but in reality they just sell shit.

Are they any good is my question

• jpengjpeng Barred

two India hosting, run away in less than 3 mon after I paid (yearly) to them.

• 200 CPU load for shared hosting. - Cannot even be used as an FTP backup.

• recently I see here in this forum is alpharack and ovh datacenter burn.