Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Animated adverts are not welcome on LET.

13»

Comments

• @LTniger said:
    PMS fumes

A vomited in my mouth a little haha

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks to everyone who views our ads, the support is appreciated and required for us to maintain the lowendbox community.

For those who are blocking our ads, please reconsider.

• JackHJackH Member

I'm glad it's not just me that's blocked the obnoxious HostSailor ad. I just unblocked it to take a peek at what I was missing out on, and then remembered why I removed it.

It brings back really strong early 2000s vibes.

Tbh, if an ad is going to be that annoying, it deserves to be blocked. The advertiser isn't losing out on any revenue... There is almost certainly a large intersection between people who are blocking the ad and the people who wouldn't buy from HostSailor purely because of how irritating its ad is. :P

• Missing so many interesting ads, including 90% scams. Thank god for adblockers.

• barkbark Member

And this is why I am a strong supporter of American baseball/softball for virtually all kids. It teaches you supreme focus, ultimate patience, swami like concentration, instant preparedness, and an all-round 'what if scenario' mentality. The training lasts for life.

You learn to completely disregard anything that isn't important (to you). Screaming moms, surly umpires, nasty opposing coaches, much bigger kids, etc.

Many people don't even see those animated ads at all. I know I don't.

Whether in a live hot zone dodging ricochets, trekking through the Daintree with deadly spiders to the right and 6m crocs on the left, or trudging through an eighty page ad nausea criticism of the future of 'DNS & VPNs' that you are to have a top level corp response w/discussion points and presentation done by 2pm.

It's about focus.

Try it.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • rcxbrcxb Member
    edited March 2021

@bark said:
    It's about focus.

Try it.

That doesn't help anyone. Completely ignoring ads works out exactly the same as blocking their display in your browser.

"You should NEVER download torrents of movies. Instead go to the swap meet and pick up all the new releases you want for $1..."

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Blocked all ads, so no case for me. Who reads ads in 2021?

I will see/read/watch ads if I am being paid.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@klikli said: Have you thought of upgrading to LowEndTalk Prime? You get your first 30 days free if you sign up today.

Besides access to all adult content, you also get free shipping on all LEBs!

@rchurch said: The PMS and sister jokes are so trite, corny, sexist, puerile and infantile and I can't tell for the life of me why the moderators allow them to continue, but that is for another topic in itself. Do those who make such jokes ever consider that some the readers and participants in the forum may be women?

Not every joke that involves a reference to women is sexist.

@rchurch said: When you read a newspaper do you need flashy adverts to attract your attention?

This is a poor analogy. When you read a newspaper, you have to physically turn past full-page ads, deal with ads that fall out of the paper, get your fingers dirty with newsprint from handling ads, and in some cases are distracted by color inserts in otherwise black-and-white newspapers. You always have to pay for newspapers while you don't pay for websites.

Of course, you have advertisements in your sig and the bold text may be distracting some readers...

@rchurch said: Frankly I don't understand this gang mentality here on Lowendtalk in which so many people lack critical thinking skills. All I see here are bunch of whiny insecure teenagers who would rather die than be excluded from the cool gang at school

Just because not everyone agrees with you does not mean you should slag the whole community.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2021

@raindog308 said:

But, but ... isn't that discriminatory against [whatever real sex] "self-identifying" as "woman who likes sexist women jokes"?!

In case you answer within 15 min my pronoun is "xe", if later, but not later than within about 1.5 hours my pronoun will be "fx5". What my felt self-identitiy will be after that I don't know yet but I'll find any pronoun you use discriminating, so much I can tell, you damn ... uhm, uh, ... hell, how do you currently self-indentify?

@jsg said: In case you answer within 15 min my pronoun is "xe", if later, but not later than within about 1.5 hours my pronoun will be "fx5". What my felt self-identitiy will be after that I don't know yet but I'll find any pronoun you use discriminating, so much I can tell, you damn ... uhm, uh, ... hell, how do you currently self-indentify?

I would have thought you would have had a hexadecimal pronoun.

But then, I've no doubt committed a serious faux pas by assuming a base...

@raindog308 said:

@jsg said: In case you answer within 15 min my pronoun is "xe", if later, but not later than within about 1.5 hours my pronoun will be "fx5". What my felt self-identitiy will be after that I don't know yet but I'll find any pronoun you use discriminating, so much I can tell, you damn ... uhm, uh, ... hell, how do you currently self-indentify?

I would have thought you would have had a hexadecimal pronoun.

But then, I've no doubt committed a serious faux pas by assuming a base...

Yes, indeed. How dare you to assume that I am who I am?

You shall be punished by totally ignoring you for 0.5 ms. Take that!

• @raindog308 said:

@rchurch said: The PMS and sister jokes are so trite, corny, sexist, puerile and infantile and I can't tell for the life of me why the moderators allow them to continue, but that is for another topic in itself. Do those who make such jokes ever consider that some the readers and participants in the forum may be women?

No, just the other ones in the list. I think for me, if people talked about PMS and sisters in real life like they do here, they'd be seriously fucking weird outcasts and people, especially female, would avoid conversations with them. Do you have male friends in real life talking about PMS (either in context or not) 10% of the time people here do? It's creepy.

I've said several times there's only two females on LET. No times have there been a reply, "no, I'm the third". Men's only clubs have higher female membership than LET. That should be a huge tipoff.

I'm not advocating going out of your way to welcome females to LET, just pointing out the obvious unwelcome to females on LET. Aka, "LETs not be creepy, mmkay?"

Tl;dr it boils down to people not knowing they're being offensive or not caring when they know they are.

@TimboJones said: Do you have male friends in real life talking about PMS (either in context or not) 10% of the time people here do?

Male friends, occasionally. Female friends, occasionally.

It's a small percentage of LET people who actually reference these community memes.

@TimboJones said: I've said several times there's only two females on LET. No times have there been a reply, "no, I'm the third". Men's only clubs have higher female membership than LET. That should be a huge tipoff.

You're talking about a hobby which is heavily dominated by men. Even the larger industry is heavily male, but when you get down into people who play with stuff like this in their spare time...it's nearly all men in my experience.

But I could be wrong. Here's the test: do other hosting forums (WHT, LES, HB, HD, etc.) have a higher percentage of women? I don't know but when looking at gendered usernames there, I see only men.

@TimboJones said:
    I've said several times there's only two females on LET. No times have there been a reply, "no, I'm the third". Men's only clubs have higher female membership than LET. That should be a huge tipoff.

Logic error. Nobody replying "I'm the third" != there aren't more females.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • ddvuddvu Member

Would not mind text-based ads - is this a viable option?

• @ddvu said: Would not mind text-based ads - is this a viable option?

@jbiloh you might want to build self hosted ads that look like those of Carbon ads -- text based with a small picture. Those are not distracting and work very well.

• barkbark Member

@rchurch

This may have been poorly received because of the non-objective imperialistic tone. A flat, 'this is unacceptable'. MmmKay.

"Animated adverts are not welcome on LET."

Phrased as a question may have been a better tactic perhaps?

Sure, COVID underscores everything now, but still, no excuse for the absolutist imperative. Someone may need to get out more? Or just harden their eyeballs maybe.

Note: You'll definitely want to consider staying out of Las Vegas? (Or NYC in the 50's, or Paris in the 60's, Rome in the 70s, LA in the 80's, Bangkok in the 90s, Tokyo at all times until now, or Dubai & Abu Dhabi Airports at any time?)

Fuck the ads, I don't even see them. Not one.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • ddvuddvu Member

@stevewatson301 said:
    @jbiloh you might want to build self hosted ads that look like those of Carbon ads -- text based with a small picture. Those are not distracting and work very well.

Well they already use BSA which is the parent of carbonads...

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ddvu said:

@stevewatson301 said:

Well they already use BSA which is the parent of carbonads...

We've found that buysellads is the best option for creating a fair and transparent advertising marketplace for LowEndBox and LowEndTalk.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited March 2021

@jbiloh said: buysellads

The first that I guarantee to block. :|
    "Advertising
    1 Tracker
    1 Blocked
    BuySellAds"

@bark said: You'll definitely want to consider staying out of Las Vegas?

At least on LET you don't have to breathe cigarette smoke.

Also, no men pushing prostitute advertisement cards in your face every 30 seconds.

Well, at least that I'm aware of.

• @raindog308 said:
    You're talking about a hobby which is heavily dominated by men. Even the larger industry is heavily male, but when you get down into people who play with stuff like this in their spare time...it's nearly all men in my experience.

True, but anecdotally, I just don't know any industries that are THIS devoid of females.

But I could be wrong. Here's the test: do other hosting forums (WHT, LES, HB, HD, etc.) have a higher percentage of women? I don't know but when looking at gendered usernames there, I see only men.

Good question. I don't go to the other forums and I don't care enough to spend the effort. And damn, the sample size is extremely small if a third found female increases the percentage by 50%.

• @jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

If they don't participate, are they members?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The only two females I know for sure on LET.

Kate from Hetzner
    Karen from Frantech empire.

@TimboJones said:

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

If they don't participate, are they members?

That's another question. A woman may have diverse reasons to not tell that she's a woman.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nekki is actually a girl, but she wouldn't admit.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@deank said:

Kate from Hetzner

But is Karen on LET?

The other female on LET is Saragoldfarb.

• @angstrom said:

@deank said:

Kate from Hetzner

But is Karen on LET?

Agreed, Karen isn't on LET.

• @TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

@deank said:

Kate from Hetzner

But is Karen on LET?

Agreed, Karen isn't on LET.

Plenty of "Karens" on LET

Thanked by 1TimboJones